Old 11-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/231/151

Height: 5'2

Default sick & eating right

I feel so crappy. I am so sick with this head cold, have no energy and no desire to eat.

Can anyone give the best advice on staying on plan and being sick? I haven't even tried to work out I just have no energy!
jesskahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #2  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't be too concerned with staying on plan completely right now. Just take care of yourself and get better. Sip on warm chicken broth or beef broth or light soups. Drink lots of tea and water. Keep yourself hydrated for sure if you just don't want to eat. Maybe some oatmeal or cream of wheat. Don't even worry about working out right now either, just work on getting stronger. Maybe just do a little more walking or stair climbing until you feel better.

Have you tried taking zinc to get over the cold faster. I use Zicam and swear by the stuff. The airborne works pretty good too.

Take care of yourself and I hope you kick it soon.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #3  
LAWL Salt Police

Well, first and foremost, you need to keep those fluids flowing... Plenty of water, of course, but juice is important to keep energy and vitamins flowing.. If you're going to have apple juice there are brands that are pure, rather than from concentrate.. Just make sure they have no added sugar.. I recommend Simply Orange, if you're going to go that route.. It's not from concentrate, so you're covered there.

We all gravitate toward soups when the weather gets cold and we're feeling crappy.. I know it doesn't help you right now, because the last thing you want to do is cook, but a good idea is to make some chicken soup and freeze it. That way you control the amount of salt and other non-processed ingredients. If you're going to have canned soup, at least try to have low sodium brands.. Stay away from cream soups, as you get a double dose of fat with those, as well as sodium.

On the subject of eating in general when we're sick, it's VERY easy to just say "screw it", I NEED comfort food.. But try to restrain.. Being sick is not an excuse to go off plan. I'm as guilty as anyone for doing this, but I've been really trying to restrain myself lately.. When we aren't feeling up to par, comfort food seems the easiest way to feel better, but in reality, we're adding to the problem..

If we've been on plan pretty successfully, then suddenly giving into easy to buy comfort junk food, our bodies, already trying to deal with a cold or the flu, will not react well to the sudden injection of fat, calories and salt. So you may make yourself feel even worse, or add time to your recovery.

The last thing I want to eat when I'm sick is a big bowl full of salad, but carrot and celery sticks are a quick easy snack or suppliment to a meal that doesn't involve a big preparation production... Same thing regarding a handful of grape tomatoes.

Grilled cheese can be had with lite bread and natural (not processed) cheddar or jack cheese... If you have to go the American cheese route, try one of the reduced fat or "cheese-esque" products.. May not be on plan, but at least they're not nearly as full of fat.

Sorry you're feeling crappy.. I am too. I have a HUGE headache and as such, eating lunch was like pulling teeth...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote