3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   The Beck Diet Solution – November 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/155386-beck-diet-solution-%96-november-2008-%96-group-support-discussion-diet-coach.html)

angelmomma210 11-25-2008 12:45 PM

Thanks for the thoughts...saga still continues...we are hoping that since it is taking this long...it will go in our favor. We will see. Yes...am happy that Thanksgiving is just about here and I won't have to bus students for 4 days. Plan on doing more beck and taking time for me. Thanks again.

RobinW 11-25-2008 12:47 PM

thought Id pop in and say hello while Im waiting for the fedex truck to arrive (he's bringing a truckload of work for me to get done by 5 today)

onebyone~ :hug: I got all teary reading your post. Because I know how you are feeling, and its so hard to get out of that kind of funk. But you are here, and that is one of the best things you can do right now. Stress and life gets in the way doesnt it.....I hope you are feeling good about yourself and everything you have accomplished so far very very soon.

I slipped up yesterday :( I had a surprise delivery of brownies yesterday to the shop. Someone was promoting their new business and when the ups truck pulled up I was thinking......no, its suppose to be fedex....what did I order that I forgot about???? :lol: I didnt order them, but he brought brownies!! :lol: Hubs and I split one...so it wasnt too bad.

:wave: to everyone...thanks so much for your hello's!!

Have a great day everyone!

kuhljeanie 11-25-2008 01:18 PM

tuesday everyone!

i also got kind of twisted around reading onebyone's struggle. been there and back so many times - and i expect that i'm not done with that funk quite yet, either. big, big hug. what can we do to support you so you can see how amazing you really are? please know that the way you're seeing yourself right now isn't actually you. it's distorted. and ditto bill and anne.

constant vigilance for me to persist in victory. my pants are so loose, why NOT eat a bunch of fatty, salty food? that way lies madness. i have been pretty hungry the last couple of weeks, so may still hook up with the dietician and see what's up. sleep is coming more easily, though, since i swore off all sleeping pills (OTC, prescription, etc.) this past friday. not perfect, but a heck of a lot better than it was. something else to be grateful for. :)

angelmomma, glad that you're feeling more upbeat. how's the bronchitis? tera, how are your joints? i was supposed to go for an MRI yesterday or today, but my back is feeling so much better, i'm going to hold off a little longer and see.

half a freaking brownie, robin? what kind of off plan eating is THAT? ;) glad to hear you're busy but not hearing overwhelm in your tone. magnificient!

anne , if kim gives you useful information on getting over the nursing challenge, can you share? i also don't want to hijack the thread - but it's cool to be able to share! i don't think i actually wrote a response for Get Back on Track - i probably should. i haven't gone off without a clear limit for how long it will last (e.g. on a long weekend in NYC) so it's not been a problem yet. but i should have a response. interested in seeing what others say!

kim, GOOD FOR YOU! for getting out there. are you having fun?

bill, yay for sore muscles! i kind of like the feeling now. particularly good to have sore core muscles. every single thing you do will be easier!

AnneWonders 11-25-2008 10:06 PM

I'm back. Here's what I ended up with for my Getting Back on Track Response Card:

Everyone slips. With 200 food-related decisions every day, not all of them can be good ones. One slip is not that big a deal. But there is no reason the next 100 decisions have to be bad because the last one was wrong. Take a deep breath, and move on as if it didn't happen.

Bill great job on the half sliver of desert! You got to enjoy the taste, and feel good about your choices! A twofer. LOL on the pushups. Some of the men I work with had a pushup contest at work, none of them having done a single one in years. The rest of us did the only sane thing we could do, which was to mock and belittle them. I can do about 3 pushups, on a good day. Might have to work on that myself.

Tera, angelmomma & RobinW :wave:

Jeanie I think your system of keeping order is great! I think I would be the opposite and find it overwhelming rather than comforting. A trip to India sounds very cool. Is this new, or am I new? I'm sorry about the possible impact to your nursing relationship, though.

onebyone :hug: You sound totally overwhelmed and I think that your eating patterns are pretty normal in that situation. I'm a total believer that when you don't have the mental energy to deal with "dieting," it is a very smart thing to do to set it aside for a while, deal with what life is handing you, and then go back in later when you do have the energy and fix it. Please don't use your weight management as another reason to beat yourself up. It sounds like the insanity is coming to a close in a few weeks, and you have some lessons learned about taking on that much again. Maybe the smart thing to do is to do the best you can for that time, commit right now to a date to start again, and when that date gets here, start up again. I had to do this during both my pregnancies and even though there was a lot of mess to clean up (so to speak), cleaned up it was for #1 and I'm back here working this for #2 and already halfway there. We have time; not everything is an emergency. Only you can decide where the priorities lie in your life, but it might be worth taking some pressure off yourself, which in turn could limit the damages while you get the school and business stresses handled.

Kim when in doubt, sleep wins. I so think the importance of sleep, rest and relaxation is SOO underappreciated in our culture. If we could only get one more stupid thing done, we'd be happy. Of course, I could be sleeping right now, too, LOL. Let's see, DS is just shy of 6 months old, and DD just turned 3. And yes, I did get all signed in at the gym, but they want a docs note since my foot is mangled. No big deal since I'm not planning to do anything remotely painful until I find out what is going on (tomorrow 8:30 cross fingers).

Tomorrow I'm doing Day 21 (Weigh In) which I've been charting for years, and Day 22 (Say Oh Well to Disappointment) which I probably need a lot right now. Speaking of which, I'm shooting kim and jeanie a PM on the breastfeeding saga.

Everybody have a good one. I will be checking in over Thanksgiving, so make sure I'm not lonely here!

Anne

maryblu 11-25-2008 11:10 PM

Beckies are the best

You-- my fellow Beckies ---make me cry.

Well, OK, it doesn't take much these days to make me cry....my DS and SO are always, always looking for the least lil' thang that makes me cry, cuz it does...or should I say it doesn't take much?

BillBE, you made me cry with your sensitivity--- your observation of the women doing aqua aerobics and being so gleeful about it......I can only imagine what you observed, but such a credit to you that you see it, grok it, and LOVE it. Credit YOU!

Onebyone, I hope that all the support already offered here is what you need to come back to the Beck plan. I can only tell you I have read time after time, post after post, thread after thread, that 3FC has been the support than someone needed to get back on track. Add to that fact that Beck is the step -by -step method to behave the way you need to behave to achieve your goal and it is only logical that you will be able to get back on track. Just take it a step at a time, page by page........stay with us, and breathe.....none of us are masters at this....we are only practitioners....

Thanks to all who gave me messages of support on my election adventure..........don't know what to say about future attempts......but thanks, Beckies, for your support.

BillBlueEyes 11-26-2008 06:51 AM

Wednesday - the day before U.S. Thanksgiving

Diet Coaches - In Botany class we learned how flowering plants do IT. CREDIT moi. Just like Health Education in the fourth grade, we had diagrams of sperms and eggs and tubes and receptacles all going at it to make little plants. All this in a coed class, LOL. Of adults, who you'd think would know their birds and their bees. But it was new stuff for me that each pollen has two sperm as well as a tube cell and all three are necessary to do the tango. Yeah flowering plants. Also got reminded that the plants on this planet would thrive happily without humans - without all animals for that matter - because they make their own food. But that humans - and all the other animals - can't exist without plants for their food. So, when remembering what to be thankful for tomorrow, remember to thank the plants.

maryblu - LOL at what a swell DS and SO you have, per "my DS and SO are always, always looking for the least lil' thang that makes me cry." May you have a delightful and on-plan Thanksgiving day.

onebyone - Waving. Know that it's a struggle and also know that you've got the Moxie to step back from the overwhelming feelings to focus on today. And many times already you've proven that you can stick to your goals for one day. Sending warm supportive thoughts.

Jeanie (kuhljeanie) - Congrats on the loose pants - for me that's one of the greatest feelings in the world since it followed years of always wearing my pants too tight as I resisted buying the next larger size since my weight was only temporary, LOL. Love your phrase, "vigilance to persist in victory." Keep up the good work.

Robin (RobinW) - Have to agree with Jeanie (kuhljeanie) on this one: "half a freaking brownie" - that's not a slip up, it's a miracle, LOL. Hope your Fed Ex arrived in time for you to get home last night.

angelmomma210 - Yep, time has got to be your friend in this situation.

Anne (wndranne) - Now that's a neat Get Back on Track Response Card:
Quote:

"One slip is not that big a deal. But there is no reason the next 100 decisions have to be bad because the last one was wrong. Take a deep breath, and move on as if it didn't happen."
Breathe and move on. Well stated.

LOL at your story of the men having a push up contest. Yep, "mock and belittle" is the sane response.

Kim (bennyhannahmama) - Kudos for all the activities on plan, especially all the challenging social situations. Big Kudos for going to the Jaycees Thanksgiving Dinner. Repeatedly I've heard that it's difficult for newly single people to figure out how to restart social activities. Seems like you're doing a great job of fighting that difficulty. Love the thought of taking your kids to an indoor play space. You get the same benefits of parking them in front of the TV but they get the benefits of running around.

Readers -
"Once I regard my slips as just mistakes and decide to recommit to my plan immediately, dieting will be easier." Beck, pg 170.

onebyone 11-26-2008 07:46 AM

I *heart* my coaches

Hi everyone.

Can't stay long as I am out the door for class but wanted to tell you all how much I apprecaite your kind thoughts and very wise advice. I did better yesterday, having breakfast, lunch and dinner + a few sweet things but it was a few and not a continuous feast. Today is movie day and last night I did a shoulder shrug to staying at school after 5 and continuing to work. I opted to come home and rest, hitting the hay at 9pm and popping awake at 3, then again at 7 with the kitty on my chest looking for attention. (she's heavy!) Now I'm off to school for a half day and it's better.

Thanks.

Will check in again later.

kuhljeanie 11-26-2008 10:13 AM

*heart* you back, onebyone!!!

last day at work before a long weekend with my favorite people. i can't wait!!! the weather should be fabulous for our annual 10K turkey trot. some years it rains, but not this year. nice and sunny. my mom picked up our numbers and chips on sunday, so we're all ready to go! they're expecting more than 10,000 people this year. i'm so proud of my mom. the first year she came with me, she was terrified that she wouldn't be able to finish. she's since recruited my aunt and two other friends of hers, and now complains that they go "too slow." :turkey:

we spend the whole time talking about what we're going to eat at this fabulous upscale buffet we call home on thanksgiving. it's wonderful - lots of fish - and no leftovers! i've already checked the menu online to figure out how i want to handle it. i'm not going to deny myself anything, but i'm not going to waste calories on things that aren't fantastic. i was going to post a link to the menu, but that seemed a little like gloating. ;)

bill, i had no idea botany could be so smutty. that's awesome. mary, if it makes you feel any better, i also cry at the drop of a hat. runs in the family, and the older i get the worse it gets. i blame hormones. anne, really like your response card. can i steal? the india trip has been in the works for a while. it's my mom's dream vacation and i'm unfrigginbelievably fortunate to be her travel companion. we leave on the 9th of dec, will be back the 29th. a link to the details is here: http://tauck.com/tours/asia-travel/india-tour-ia-2008 i'm bringing my laptop so i can skype with DH and el nino - i might even check in with y'all, while i'm there. :) almost all the hotels have wi-fi.

onebyone, really glad to hear that you got some rest last night. what a difference a day makes! we're here for you, anytime. feel free to email if you need anything.

cheers m'dears!

RobinW 11-26-2008 10:31 AM

kuhljeanie~
Quote:

the weather should be fabulous for our annual 10K turkey trot.
I just did a bunch of turkey trot t's yesterday for a family. All the kids t's on the back said ....do we have to? It's too cold! & I'd rather be sleeping! All the adults said.... Because it's a tradition. Quit your whining and run! :lol: It was too funny :lol:

Im off to make a cup of coffee, and I think I'll have some time to sit and read and post personals :D bbl

AnneWonders 11-26-2008 05:26 PM

Diet coaches: Day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In is a long term habit. I weighed in and I'm down 3 lbs. I'm happy about that, but it seems kind of high, so I'm prepared for less good news next time. Day 22 Say Oh Well to Disappointment This is a new one for me, and I'm finding this simple mindset tool powerful, memorable, and effective.

General news: I got a non-diagnosis on the foot, which means they ruled out anything really nasty but it could be either a stress fracture or bad strain (or maybe sprain?). Anyway, no running for two weeks, no free weights for lower body work, and other than that, if it hurts, don't do it. I got a note for my gym so I can check out the elliptical and machines for lifting. I'm still procrastinating on the Y thing, so I need to get off my butt and do that. Friday when everyone else is shopping may be the way to go. What else? Tooth is now properly crowned and I'm wearing off the numbness right now. And I have decided to put away the pump, and continue to nurse DS when we are together, which means he'll be doing (more) formula at day care. This decision makes me sad, but it is the right one for us at this stage of the game, and on the plus side, it opens up at least one hour a day so I'm less pressed for time (and stressed out about it).

So I'll miss the big run with DD tomorrow morning, our special thing we've been planning together for weeks. I am sad about that, and "oh well" just almost doesn't do it. I may have to whip out, "it is what it is" for that. Sigh. DH will be running with her instead, assuming the whole deal doesn't get rained out.

maryblu: my DH is always trying to make me cry too, well in a teasing way, usually sappy kid stuff; he's not a monster or anything. He finds it amusing. What is that about?

Bill: Wow, I didn't know that about flower plants. This definitely sounds like a life-enriching class, and great fodder for the double entendre.

onebyone: I think you should give yourself major credit for continuing to check in. The easy thing is just to walk away, and you keep chipping away at it.

Jeanie: Have fun with your Turkey Trot! Of course you can steal!

RobinW: Those are awesome shirts!

Anne

onebyone 11-26-2008 09:02 PM

good evening coaches

Hi Gang.

Well the day was okay. I had breakfast, had lunch and had dinner. I ate to overstuffed twice oh well but both yesterday and today I did get more walking in. Credit moi. I noticed that for the first time in months my smaller jeans feel tight around the thighs again so the weight has now stuck to me. I don't like it at all and am afraid to step on the scale and see where I am in relation to that dreaded 260.
For today, this doesn't matter.

I did get fantastic news though. DH's brother's fiance has tracked down a Wii Fit for us for xmas! And we are getting it early. DH has promised to start using it too and we are both agreed we need to clean up the living room to make space for it an for us to use it. As a bonus, I get to reclaim the fantastic space I created before school started (my Bermuda cocktail space) and to continue with my decorating plans. Xmas break can't come soon enough.

I could have spent the evening working but I jusr didn't. I don't think my life will suffer so very much. I may need to scramble a bit but who cares? It's all over in two weeks. Yay. It's obvious to me now that I need to lighten my load and am now getting re-focused on this task at hand. Credit moi and once again thanks everyone. You've all been very helpful and supportive.

maryblu 11-26-2008 10:03 PM

Not necessarily Beck related

Quick shout out and love to all my fellow Beckies,

Thinking of you, kuhljeanie, and glad you aren't in India today. Hope all has settled by Dec. 9 and suspect that will be the case.

BillBE........lol........you are such a consistent joy........finding smut in botany class. lol......... Even all those years ago in Hort 101, I didn't find so much to remark about...unless you get into the symbiotic relationships, those little tweaks in nature that evolve for mutual benefit ...some flowers that look like certain bees/insects so as to entice a certain behavior from said bug, who does his nasty and then moves onto the next flower.....and pollination occurs...mutual benefit to be sure..and the species goes on.

Need to clarify the crying thing. SO and DS don't try to make me cry; they just know the least little thang on TV or even cute behavior from the dawgs will set me off. And yes, it is a hormone thang.

Hope that all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I for one am Thankful for below the waist jeans.....slightly cooler than elastic waists, but almost as forgiving. ;)

BillBlueEyes 11-27-2008 06:11 AM

U.S. Thanksgiving - Thursday in Canada

Diet Coaches - Did my lunges at gym. CREDIT moi. It does get easier, but not more fun. I'm such a wimp that I'm almost ready to give myself credit for doing one full squat when I pick up the newspaper in the morning, LOL. Finally decided that the no longer used basketballs and volleyballs no longer needed to stay on the first floor. Discovered a long forgotten skate board underneath them - don't recall that it was ever used. Congratulations to all of you who are sufficiently organized that it would be impossible to discover a skateboard.

maryblu - Congrats to anyone over 20 who wears the "below the waist jeans." I just recently came to know the derogatory phrase, mom jeans, LOL. I'm glad that the low cut hasn't even entered my thoughts for my own wear. (Do men't jeans come in the low cut style or is that just women's jeans?)

P.S. Not to mention a sore subject, but your state appears in my newspapers again today. Let me help you out: campaign, vote, count, quit. It's really simple.

onebyone - Yay for the Wii Fit. Nothing like a new toy to get the juices flowing again. Sending warm supportive thoughts as you continue to increase your focus.

Jeanie (kuhljeanie) - Yay for the turkey trot with your mom and friends. Have a mindful feast at your Thanksgiving "home."

Robin (RobinW) - LOL at those turkey trot t-shirts. So funny. Hope you keep those on display to encourage more one-use orders. I would see more barely worn t-shirts at the thrift shops with unusual events printed on them when I was shopping for as-I-am-loosing-weight clothes. Wondering where they all finally find a home.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for missing the turkey trot with your DD. And Ouch for the non-diagnosis on the foot; at least that has the positive side of knowing some major things it isn't. Sending supportive thoughts for the transition from nursing. I went through that twice with my DW; know it's an emotional period.

Readers -
"On any given day, the number on the scale is exactly what it should be, given what you ate, how much energy you expended in the past few days, the amount of fluid your body is retaining, and other biological influences." Beck, pg 172.

angelmomma210 11-27-2008 09:24 AM

Happy Thanksgiving all. Sorry that I have not been here...but bronchitis kicked back up but still went to work..then dh got a sinus infection...probably from me. No word yet.

As I hang my head...I am sorry for not being very good here..but you all are in my thought. I am off for the next 4 days and plan on doing some reading and getting my list done the way I want it. Will let you know how it goes. Please know that I am very thankful for you all.

AnneWonders 11-27-2008 05:13 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating.

Diet Coaches: Today I did Day 23 Counter the Unfairness Syndrome. This one was so critical in starting the Big Loss and it is good to get a refresher on it. When I find myself thinking dieting isn't fair, and I still do after 6 years, I'm going to say Oh Well. I actually made an Oh Well card and keep it with my list of lies (it's just one bite, I'll make up for it later, etc). Watching my diet may not be fair but it is necessary. I passed up an unplanned snack when I got munchy (not hungry) today and had a glass of water instead, and that was all I needed. I'm going to get myself some nice herbal teas, which are a useful no-cal pick-me-up when all I need is a shot of flavor. Thanksgiving lunch was leftovers from earlier this week, and DH is bound and determined to make a nice chicken cookout our family tradition, so grilled chicken breasts it is. I am insisting on some Stove Top stuffing, since I love stuffing even if it is boxed, made with chicken stock and only a touch of butter.

I think I've mentioned before that I'm a snacker/grazer. I've been going over my food logs, and I'm doing a lot better calorie-wise on the days I skip some of my snacks and eat slightly larger meals. Hmmm. Duh. Okay, so I'm now trying to eat fewer snacks.

The Turkey Trot this morning was sad for me. We cheered for DD and DH as they ran around the course. But it had been raining and DD was mad about running through water, and refused to run for a while, and so got carried. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed that, had I been able to run. I did check out the Y online and talked to DH about it, and I'm going to head down tomorrow and sign us up. $58/month for a family membership, which includes some limited childcare. Deal.

angelmomma210 I hope you are feeling better. Do what you need to do, and don't worry so much about how much you are doing here. You have a lot going on. No head hanging.

BillBlueEyes I'm with you on squats and lunges. Evil. But I'm climbing back on that horse again after two weeks.

maryblu I'm afraid I'm a huge fan of mom jeans. My hat's off to you if you can manage the low cut style. I have plumber-style issues if I bend over in them, LOL. OTOH, I think the flared leg is the best thing ever.

onebyone Hurray for the Wii fit! Let me know how you like it. Two weeks isn't so long to go, even though it seems tough. If you bought milk now, it would last longer than that. Hang in there.

Anne