Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #121  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . . . . . and to you PURPLE . . . glad to have you joining us, Chickie.

Sorry I was totally missing yesterday -- Woke up with a nasty pinched-nerve kind of back ache and spent most of the day flat out in bed. It's still with me, but a little less so this morning so I thought I'd try sitting and typing for a little while anyway.

Yesterday was overcast and drizzly; today it's pouring rain -- that is not helping with the back ache either and I won't be doing too much of anything today.

Have a good one everybody . . . think this little guy is about all the moving and shaking that will be seen around my house today . . . . . . well, other than the cats; they never sit still for too long (when they are awake).
Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #122  
Karen

S/C/G: 223/190/130

Height: 5'2'

Red face

Thank you meowee -- I love your kitty -- very cute.

Say, I found how to make the slider thing for tracking the weight loss, but I can't figure out where to put it. Can you help me?

It has been an absolutely gorgeous day here in Southern Idaho. We were supposed to hit 75 today which is about 10 degrees warmer than normal for us this time of year. However, by Sunday, we are supposed to get more down to normal temps. We are having a really nice fall.

I hope to get the hang of this posting thing.

I just stumbled on this website from some other reading I was doing, and I am so glad that I did. I've made some expensive mistakes in my weight loss journey, and I hope that this website will help keep me from doing that again.

Last edited by purplefingers; 10-17-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #123  
Onward and Downward

You are ahead of the game PURPLE in that you've discovered how to construct a weight loss ticker. Unfortunately (because of the need to deter spammers) we have a little rule that says you can't have a signature -- and that's where the ticker resides -- until you've been a member for at least 20 days and have made 20 posts. Once you pass those magic numbers, you can add the ticker just by clicking on 'edit signature' in User CP. Just keep posting and you'll get there in no time.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #124  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Sunny but cold for northeastern Nova Scotia today. The Autumn colours are right at their peak and the landscape is absolutely glowing -- fear there won't be too many more of these days left to enjoy this year.

Hope everybody else is having a glorious Saturday, too . . .
Old 10-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #125  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Purple- I would recommend that you pick up one of the Volumetrics books- it's good to read and keep on hand to keep you on track.

We're off to see our grandpuppy today- the weather and colors are beautiful here! The day will include dinner out (because we're paying for it), so I need to behave and stay OP.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #126  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Hi you guys! I have been calorie counting for a while, and what I ended up doing closely resembles the volumetrics plan. I checked the books out of the library and read through the first one. The recipes in both books look really good. I was wondering if they are posted somewhere on the site. If not, I am going to have a lot of typing to do!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #127  
Onward and Downward

Afraid not . . . there are a few recipes of our own scattered around the various threads, but not a lot.

Welcome to the group, though . . . very glad to have you joining us.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #128  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Where is everybody hiding these days?????? Getting lonely in here.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #129  
Liz

I'm here!
A question for Claire- when you cook with quinoa, it says to rinse it first. It's so tiny, I haven't found a good way yet to rinse it, so I've been just cooking with it straight out of the bag. Do you rinse yours, and if so, how?

I definitely was not OP this past weekend, so now I have to get mentally back in the game. My DH is gone bowhunting all week, so it'll actually be easier to eat right with him gone.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #130  
Onward and Downward

I'm not Claire (obviously ) . . . but you could try using a coffee filter or maybe a paper towel inside your strainer ?????
Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #131  
Karen

S/C/G: 223/190/130

Height: 5'2'

Red face

Meowee, thanks for the info on the signature. I thought I was really a dummy that I couldn't figure that out -- I am glad for the explanation.

Artcat mentioned that I should pick up the book -- I see that there are two of them. I love cooking and love collecting recipes -- which book would you recommend that I get first.

Our fall has been beautiful here in the high desert of southern Idaho. The colors are all changing, but it is a bit unseasonably warm. I guess that is supposed to change this week. The weekend was absolutely gorgeous -- and I was cooped up in the house -- painting. Oh well, the house is looking great.

Until I get my book, I have been sticking as much as possible to fruits and veggies - lots of soup and salads. Maybe I can pick up a book this week.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #132  
Onward and Downward

Cold, windy and very overcast around here today -- but no snow in the immediate forecast. On last night's news, the local weather guru was talking about October 21, 1974 when Halifax got over 30 cm (more than 15 inches) of the white stuff. Hopefully we won't be getting that kind of a 'blessing' for quite some time yet.

My blood sugar was almost too low this morning and the weight is definitely up an extra couple of pounds (hopefully at least some of it is www) -- but guess I've got some tweaking to do.

If you are a cookbook type of girl, PURPLE, I think you'd be happiest with the second book -- The Volumetrics Eating Plan which costs US$10.85 from Amazon. The original book -- The Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan is more about the science behind Volumetrics and has pretty comprehensive ED listings. It does contain some recipes. -- Although, since you can pick it up from Amazonfor only US$6.99 you might just want to get both. -- don't forget to use the "store" tab at the end of the main navigation bar to get to Amazon because 3FC gets a little royalty everytime somebody uses that route and it doesn't increase the cost to you at all.

Well guess I'd better get myself busy with doing something constructive -- have a good day -- see you later, gang . . .
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #133  
Liz

thanks for the quinoa rinsing tips, Meowee- I've tried layers of cheesecloth, but that's too large. Never thought of coffee filters or paper towels. that's why this site is so great!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #134  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Hi all!!! Just passing through - another busy day - cooking, working, cleaning....never seems to end! See ya'll later!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #135  
Liz

An interesting article on the relationship between eating quickly and to full capacity and being overweight.
http://www.physorg.com/news143873030.html
I read something recently about how our stomachs can hold about the size of our hands cupped together, and if we stay with that amount we're actually full, despite what our brains tell us. It's a good reminder for me, because if I don't pay attention, I eat more than that, and I like to feel full.
Always learning...
Closed Thread