Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #181  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Just a quick hello this morning....kuhljeanie Im using both and plan to order the audio book this week. Ordering the book has been on my to-do list for much too long.

I had breaky, have a veggie packed lunch in the cooler and walked to work

Im starting a huge apron printing job today so I better quit stalling and get to work.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #182  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Hello, all!

I guess this is going to be a weekend report. I'll be brief. No exercise on Friday or Saturday, so I was short one session last week. I forgot to take my supplements several times and felt the difference. Felt a lot of stress and desire to eat to soothe, but I resisted.

Unfortunately, resisting the food didn't really help my moods. Although I did try to address the causes of my anxiety, there's little I can do yet, but accept the anxiety is there. (discussed in detail at http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...32&postcount=9)

Felt considerably better at the end of my workout Sunday night. I'm in love with the swimming pool.

Doing better today. Remembered my supplements. I've noticed that I feel more motivated after a visit to 3FC, so I've added it to my daily checklist.

onebyone: I'm majoring in EC-4 Education. I want to teach early elementary, preferably first or second grade, or possibly focus on parent education, since I see a clear need for parents to really understand child development.

shrinkin: WTG on the 50 minute workouts!

kuhljeanie: About the challenge of stopping when you're satisfied instead of when your plate is clear - maybe next time you're faced with that situation, you can take a moment to remind yourself how you felt after finishing off the bowl of chili. Then you can just ask yourself whether satisfying your desire to continue eating is worth feeling that again.

Robin: Did you ever post that chocolate cottage cheese recipe? I was hoping to see it on this thread when I got back.

Bill: I do think you can say "butt" in a prayer... I mean if you believe that you have one and that God made you, then clearly he knows you have one, right? If he gave it to you, I don't know why he'd be offended by you bringing it up to him. I think people are a lot more sensitive about their butts than God is.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #183  
Lovin' Life

Sorry Tera.......I forgot

1/2 cup non-fat cottage cheese
1 tbsp cocoa (add more if you like it really chocolatey)
1tsp vanilla
1-2 tsp splenda (add to your taste)
Blend in food processor until smooth.

Add-ins depending on what Im craving.
1 tbsp real peanut butter (not that skippy stuff)
1/4 cup raisins
Blend these in...
and for the crunch, add 3 broken fat free pretzels to the top of it.

When I go for this, it's absolute bliss!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #184  
stand-up philosopher

That sounds so easy and really wonderful! (I'm kitchen-challenged.) :blush:

I simply must get some cottage cheese next grocery trip!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #185  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default sounds really good

Thanks, Robin and Tera!

I was thinking I would not like it because I don't enjoy the texture of cottage cheese...but food processor probably changes that..so I plan to give it a try too! Still have to put it in fitday to see the calorie amounts.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #186  
Lovin' Life

Your welcome.
shrinkin, my calorie count for this is really high, but that is because fitday doesnt have a non-fat choice for cottage cheese. I measure it 244 per 1/2 cup (without raisins or pretzels) that is also at the low fat ingredient listing not non-fat.

for the point counters, it is 3 points with raisins, and 6 points with peanut butter....no pretzels are factored in.

........no I dont like cottage cheese either. Hate the stuff, but mixed with vanilla and pretty much anything else its pretty darn good

Last edited by RobinW; 09-29-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #187  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Yo Beckies!

Just a quick shout out. Have been trying to keep up with you; so happy to see the successes and insights.

Couldn't keep silent any longer about the apple wish list; especially since Shrinkin is so close to the good stuff. Two words: Honey Crisp. Oh, yeah. Developed at my very own alma mater, the U of M. TDF. Impossibly crisp and sweet.

Since we have no killing frost in sight, we are still harvesting tomatoes, chard, and of course raspberries. That is the good news. The bad news.....well mixed news......new dawg (puppy) is also a raspberry-eatin' dawg. Also a Cherry Tomato eatin' dawg, but they are plentiful and we have had our fill. Now raspberries, that is another matter. Buck, 5 mo. old German Sheppard/Black Lab cross....So, now two dawgs that eat raspberries. Sheesh.

Unbelievable Sept. ...best I can remember. Spent 3 hours riding horseback in the park on Saturday. Still swimming, too. Yep. CoastalSue, if you are still reading, I am not *that* far into the northern part of the state, so not as hardy as you might think. It is nippy, though, and I don't stay in long.

Still prepping for a daylong training session, so will probably be fairly silent (uncharacteristically so..) and reading along (I refuse to call it lurking). I am incorporating CBT techniques in the session..am really torn whether I want to fess up and put some before pics in the Powerpoint. I am not embarrassed, but I am not really comfortable saying, see look at me...not sure. This is not wt. loss training, so we shall see what I decide.

Am posting a pic of the newest raspberry eating member of the family. Did you ever see such a face?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buck.jpg (41.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-30-2008, 06:05 AM   #188  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches – Bad news: my gym removed the machine that provided counter weights for assisted pull ups (it broke and since it isn't manufactured anymore, they had to scrap it). Good news: I jumped up and grabbed the fixed handles and did one pull up without assistance. CREDIT moi. That's a good start toward my goal of being able to swing myself along a horizontal ladder like on a kid's play ground set. (I did that as a kid without thinking it was a big deal, although, admittedly, I weighed a bit less then, LOL.)

MaryBlu - Yeah for fall apples. Yep, your Honey Crisp are among the best there are. Apples are the gift that helps us to accept that summer is over. I'm a bit jealous that you're still harvesting tomatoes; we're all done. LOL at you having a second raspberry dawg. I looked at that face; it clearly says "Not me," LOL.

Good luck with your upcoming training session. Neat that you'll incorporate Cognitive Behavior Therapy in it. I've become a big fan of CBT with Beck; wondering why it took me this long to discover the value of using it.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Bon Voyage on your Bistro M.D. journey. Kudos for making a decision, for choosing a path. Ouch for hungry - my journey never had to deal with that, so don't have any experience to offer. Thanks for the tip on Hungarian Goulash (Gulyasleves). My memory of loving it includes the BIG dollop of sour cream. Now I'm drooling.

onebyone – Glad to hear the the "*itch-eny" curtains are up (chuckling at Heidi (hbuchwald)'s word). Sleep is good; methinks that when you're running around organizing your shows as well as creating your stuff you can get both halves of your brain fired up and demanding a rest, LOL. Your plan sounds like the cycling of weeks will help keep you stimulated. Whatever, it sure is working for you. Stay the course.

Robin (RobinW) - Thanks for the cottage cheese recipe. I forced myself to buy one pint of cottage cheese and was delighted that I didn't hate it. On the other hand, I didn't love it. Will have to try the blending it of your recipe. However, I dearly love yogurt - always have some in the fridge. So cottage cheese would be competing with a cherished friend. Good luck on your aprons. Wishing for you more appealing aromas than from the first stamping of the last set of totes, LOL.

shrinkin - Just WOW for delaying the apple crisp after baking it. Big Kudos for restraint. Great weekend with all that swimming. Thanks for the tip about washing winter squash with 1:10 bleach from your visit with Farmer Bob; will try that. I like buying a few butternut squash from my favorite farmer at the farmers market in late October to have in the spring.

OK, you've got us going on apples here. Have to admit that I've gotten into apples in the past few years. After out growing my childhood love affair with Red Delicious, I had a many-year love affair with the sour taste of Granny Smith. Now, Jonagold are one of a handful at the top of my list, including MaryBlu's Honey Crisp.

tera (twilit tera) – Kudos for your swimming workout Sunday night. Sounds like swimming does put you in a good frame of mood. Thanks for your thoughts of "butt" in a prayer.

Readers " Eating Begins with a Trigger
… You eat to comfort or distract yourself. …" Beck, pg 29.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #189  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Tuesday report

Morning, coaches!

Well, an off plan day for me yesterday. Not sure what all happened in my brain. Started with allowing self to rationalize that more than one serving of apple crisp was OK, because with apples and oats, it was healthy (it was also very good). Should have stopped at one, but didn't. At 210 cals a serving, it started the off plan thinking. Should have said OH WELL and gotten the brain back to focusing on staying the course, but didnt. Several bad habits after dinner reared their heads...grazing for food ()have not done that in a while) and eating mindlessly. Seems food desire got to me and nothing was very satisfying. Ended up being about 600 calories over plan. Part of challenge is that DH is travelling, so home alone can lead to misbehaving in the name of "if no one sees it, it does not count" and boredom eating. Also, tired yesterday for no apparent reason which increases my tendency to couch sit and eat. Now preparing behind for gentle from onebyone. Preparing brain to get back on track and to be happy that I am on track instead of down for focusing on the fall off the wagon. Giving self kudos for reporting this and for determining to get psyche and body back OP today.

Will send some personals later. Have to run. Sending for a great Tuesday!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #190  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Tuesday long and busy day ahead

Good morning coaches.

Just a quick flyby to check in. I hav a full ay at school(9:30 to 4) and then a meeting to go over the new city by-law as it is proposed and what it will enforce re: arts and crafts in the By Ward market. You never hear me talk of the ByWard market. It is THE city market but I don't sell there, even though I "own" a spot (on paper anyway). Long story short: re-sellers and importers were allowed into the market and they chased my customers away They did. I tried but could not make a go of it and instead opted to leave for Carp market and then Ottawa Market... both catering to the homemade/handmade maker and customer. So new bylaw=new focus and the ByWard market is the heart of the tourist area and if they can assure us a place of our own, an area solely for the local handmade artist then I'd go back. So these meeting are to talk about what they want for us and what we'd like of ourselves. Felt I should participate so that's this evening, 5-7. There will be many "artists" who will not feel as I do. WIll have to hold my ground and I will.

So have my food packed up for the day and some stuff for drinks packed up too. Got 85% of my homework done...a bit more tonight maybe less if I can get onto a computer during off time at school today. After much creative angst finally came up with my two book ideas, two specific secrets to tell and then found a third so that's good. Can re-configure one form to suit my idea and start gathering what I need for the other...discuss the third one.

Better go.

shrinkin Here, we can share this one: I over-ate on cheese at 10pm I knew I shouldn't but said "I don't care" and did it. So I need a "gentle reminder" myself. methinks you had a bit of the persist in victory disease; having been so heroic to forego the applecrisp the day before you indulged when you were allowed to. I could be wrong...just really saying that I have done that before! Tricky things our brains are...

Billblueeyes A pull up! I have never been able to do even one. Kudos for that. And you know what's next? TWO of them! <--- this is kind of a pull-uppy movement don't you think?

maryblu Hi! we've had a pretty decent September here too... oh and your dawg.... aw... so very adorable! Look at those feets! I haven't picked all my green tomatoes yet but looks like they'll have to come in this week. Forecasting into the single digits celcius) for the night temps now... sigh.

RobinW Good luck with all those aprons ahead of you! Congrats on having all kinds of aprons to do!

twilit tera Exercise helps me feel better almost immediately. I cannot deny I have done a good thing for myself and that is bound to lift my spirits in itself! I often post here when feeling yukky...better than that turning to food which just adds to feeling yukky! If food isn't the problem, it's not the solution.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #191  
Lovin' Life

Mornin'

Bill~Awesome job on the unassisted pullup!! About the cottage cheese, I like it for its low fat/controlled sugar/protein counts. I can have a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with stuff mixed in and it will last me alot longer than a yogurt will....before I start to get hungry again. CC is great with a tsp of vanilla, some splenda and your fav berries (blue) mixed in. Check out this site for all the cool things you can do with cc http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23

onebyone~ good luck at your meeting tonight!

tera~ kudos for making 3fc part of your daily list. It helps me keep on track too........and when I fall off, it helps get my mind back where it is suppose to be.

Yesterday was an unbelievable trying day for me. I honestly dont think that if dh hadnt started yesterday with me I would have succumbed to emotional eating.......and it would have been bad I am an active member on another forum that is specifically targeted to my industry. But because of how busy Ive been I had not been there in 4 days. 3 days ago a member of that forum posted a farewell greeting with RIP and dates in his signature. He took his own life, and I read about it yesterday. There were a few that caught on to the RIP in the signature, and got on the phone to him and to the police. But no one could get to him in time. I didnt know him personally, but he has been an inpsiration to many on that forum, and tirelessly helped anyone that had problems. Always more than willing to help out any newcomer. I would like to ask you to please keep his wife and children in your thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine what they are going thru.

........things happen in 3's right?! By the end of the day yesterday I was in such a funk I curled up and had a good cry with my hubby.

Things are a bit better today.......everything that happened yesterday I have absolutely no control over. I need to deal with the emotions, and keep food out of the equation.

No.......I didnt start back at day one yesterday. I just didnt want to deal with it. I will give it a go tomorrow.

Food was good yesterday, walked back and forth to work........and Im down 2lbs.

onebyone.....you are right, I have big order of aprons, and Im very thankful for that order

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by RobinW; 09-30-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #192  
stand-up philosopher

Default Tuesday Check-in

Good morning, Becksters!

Yesterday
OP Food
OP Supplements
Response Cards
Visit 3FC
Planned Exercise: 40 minutes on the cycle watching Big Trouble in Little China
Spontaneous Exercise: Parked a long ways from my class and walked.

The last bit is a new achievement for me. I think this is the first time I've leapt on a spontaneous exercise opportunity on the same day I stuck to a scheduled work out.

I'm looking forward to my mother returning from Germany today. She's been my unofficial diet coach - meaning that she's been functioning as one since before I discovered Beck. I'm going to ask her officially to continue in that role.

Tomorrow's my birthday and this coming weekend would traditionally be a night out to dinner, but I'm breaking with that tradition. I've already asked for a family dinner at Mom's house with strawberry shortcake for dessert and last night before bed, I decided what I wanted for dinner - Build Your Own Burritos.

Robin: Thanks for the CC recipe. I'm sorry to hear about your colleague, and yes, I'll be directing loving thoughts to his family, to all the survivors of a suicide victim, really. It's hard enough just grieving for someone who dies of an accident or disease... but all the questions that surface when someone takes their own life... :sigh:

It's no wonder you had to have a good cry, and I'm glad you did. It shows a lot of courage to accept your feelings and give yourself permission to express them.

MaryBlu: Awwe! What a sweet puppy!

Jean: Good luck on the Bistro MD plan. My mother tried it for a while and she really liked the convenience and the flavor. She eventually gave it up because of the expense, but I think if she didn't need to save the money for other things, she'd do it again.

About being hungry, there are so many possible causes that it's hard to work through them on a message board. You want to make sure that you're drinking enough water, of course. Often if I've finished a meal and still feel hungry, or get hungry before my next planned meal, I try a glass of water and the hunger seems to vanish.

Other times, I'm hungry because either I didn't get enough protein or enough fat in my meal. I've gotten pretty good about analysing what I've eaten and figuring out what was missing. If I didn't have any protein, I reach for a protein snack. If I did get protein, then I reach for a few nuts or a celery stalk with a little peanut butter on it. I'm just careful about the sources of my fat - I use butter sparingly and never use hydrogenated oils if I can help it.

I've definitely noticed that when I'm religious about my supplements, I more easily endure hunger and seldom experience cravings. When I go off of them, it gets more difficult to resist temptations.

Anyway, without being able to narrow down what's giving you trouble, all I can think to do is toss out all the possibilities I can think of, based on what gives me trouble. I hope something above is helpful.

Bill: for your pull-up! That is something I have no memory of being able to achieve, even as a child. Also for setting non-scale goals for yourself! I think that those types of achievements are a lot more motivating than a number on a scale or measuring tape.

shrinkin: for getting back on track so quickly and for not dwelling on your mistakes!

onebyone: at the Ward market meeting. I hope some good changes come of it.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #193  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Okay....all I am back..had a really busy weekend and then yesterday has dr. appts all day so was at the hospital...military one.
Dh is doing okay...we are waiting for word as to what is gonna happen...I am praying that it will be okay. I feel that it will, but you know how it is that little bit of doubt can really miss you up.

Did good this weekend...stayed op and yesterday we did alot of walking. My diet coach asked me today how i was doing. I am doing okay...need to take my beck book with me to work and read it when I can. This will be short as I have to get back to work. Thanks all for the thoughts.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #194  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default before bed check in

I think I am posting tonight coaches because in the morning I have a bunch of readings to do yet for tomorrow's class, plus having to write a page about the project I intend to do for this class (art and criticism) but am exhausted right now. Will be better in the early morning (but then sleepy during class). I've been working non-stop all day long. Found myself very resistant to making things this afternoon. I was working in the ceramics room and felt it was so dirty and icckky and all my fault (my job to look after the ceramics room) that I had a hard time relaxing and getting into my work. I just wanted out of there. But managed to get started and am half way done my first bas relief project: needlepointing chromosomes. Think it will be pretty good but feel very rushed about it.

Foodwise I did not get all my mini meals in. Wait. Maybe I did: yeah I did, just barely. Didn't get the water in though. Went to the market meeting and the room was full of real artisans, not importers and that was a shock. We all agreed. Total consensus. Amazing. Was glad I went. There was talk of a new fee structure. Wow. There was a time, long long ago, when the artists on the market paid significantly less for their stands; a nod towards the hit and miss living we make, not like the staples of bread and broccoli! Anyway, I await that topic to be covered in the next meeting a month from now.

Oh and BIG KUDOS to me for not having any of the delicious cookies they offered us. Stuck to water and coffee and ate my 1/2 sandwich and cucs instead. Really wanted cookies then forgot about it. Was grateful to have my cheerful metal Spongebob lunchbox with me. it's so garish it just drew my attention away from those cookies! Kudos to the creator of Spongebob.

Wow, very tired now must go. Will check in and read in the morning just won't post til tomorrow night. Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-30-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #195  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the October 2008 Thread

This discussion continues on The Beck Diet Solution – October 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

Please join us there.
Closed Thread