3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   The Beck Diet Solution – September 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/150552-beck-diet-solution-%96-september-2008-%96-group-support-discussion-diet-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 09-16-2008 05:19 AM

Tuesday

Diet Coaches – Bought a purple bell pepper from the farmers' market for no clear reason, just because it looked good. CREDIT moi, for no clear reason. Also got a one and a quarter pound heirloom tomato. Felt like I was carrying gold. The fall apples are now abundant.

onebyone – Kudos for marching to the sixth week of your eight week program. Yep, getting homework done for the week would certainly be a stress reliever.

Robin (RobinW) - Ouch for "having a very difficult time." Sending supportive thoughts. You've done so well for so long; it's a challenge to keep on keeping on. Count me as your first customer at your Canadian Tire franchise. I had heard of Canadian Tire money from elsewhere, but hadn't understood what it meant. Now I want some big time.

angelmomma210 - Glad to hear that you're doing better with your new routes. Neat strategy for Olive Garden, "Usually I eat about half and bring the rest home." Before my healthy journey, I remember eating there and being so happy with the big servings.

shrinkin - What a terrific success at your wedding; good lessons for us all there. I particularly like your use of the small plate when facing the abundant buffet. I know that strategy, but have never used it like you did there. Big Kudos. Good luck with your upcoming travels and pressure work.

Readers – "Sabotaging thoughts increase your general level of stress.
…The way you think about non-dieting-related situations can increase or decrease your stress. … " Beck, pg 28.

shrinkin 09-16-2008 06:49 AM

Tuesday report

Mornin' coaches,

In Maryland for meeting and I am not awake yet. Tired from trip and....from exercising! Yup, made the pool at the hotel last night about 9 pm when I arrived. Am I getting to be like the toddler that has to check out every bathroom "just because"? LOL. Seriously, committed to self to do this after springing for a dinner on the plane last night that allowed me to eat at a normal time rather than waiting until late and starved and then facing the choice of eating versus exercise. Stayed OP yesterday for calories.

Today will be facing down the piles of break food in context of really wanting some comfort food. "That's not about me." is the battlecry straight from the Commander of the War on Food.

I am now between sizes with smaller size pants fitting a bit snug and larger ones practically falling off of me. Decided to wear smaller version today to help remind me that those brownies and cookies are not about me.

BBE-Yum for that purple bell pepper. Do you have a favorite fall apple? Kudos for continuing to find ways to make healthy eating both fun and tasty.

angelmomma210-I have loved Olive Garden in the past, but the one close to us is so popular the wait is frequently an hour or more. I have not been in there since starting the diet as I am not sure that I could resist overdoing it. Kudos to you for a strong resistance muscle at Olive Garden! That is an accomplishment.

RobinW-:hug:Sounds like you need to cut yourself some slack. "OH WELL" a bit to what is troubling you. You dont have to be perfect. Credit to you for handling many sabotages. You deserve a lot of credit for continuing on this journey, even when it seems long. We just have to take one day at a time. Kudos to you for staying with it. Taking credit creates pride...and you deserve to take credit and be proud of what you have already accomplished!

Sending good thoughts for a great Tuesday to all Beck posters and readers!

onebyone 09-16-2008 07:29 AM

Hi coaches...I am out the door in about 5 min just wanted to say CREDIT MOI for packing my lunch for the whole day complete with new metal Spongebob lunchbox, frozen thingy to keep things cold, veggies, 1 meal and 2 snacks. Will try to get over the gym but this day is still up in the air. have to get there early in case I have a class... will find out when there. If not, I can exercise at the gym, get my membership, and work in the studio before my 1pm class which goes for sure.

AND I am up 4lbs for official weighin. Scale is a big fat liar. Mid cycle TOM "hello" is more likely the culprit. A big OH WELL to that. There's always next Tuesday's weigh in....

Have a good Tuesday.

RobinW 09-16-2008 10:03 AM

Good Morning

Bill~ you havent really experienced Canadian Tire, until you are in line to pay and the couple infront of you are argueing over who gets the Canadain Tire money :lol: Purple bell pepper, I dont think Ive ever seen those. How was it? We have a brand new farmers market that opened last week up the street from our shop ....about 1/2 a mile. Should make a nice walk to check it out.

shrinkin~ thanks so much for your words of realization it means alot. It sounds like you are doing great while you are away. I love the idea of wearing the smaller pants to remind you to keep away from the brownies. You are doing a great job!!

Have you ever had one of those flashback moments? Im making my lunch this morning, and Im slicing and measuring my cheese for my midmorning snack. I thinking to myself.......and I dont know why this came to me today, because Ive been slicing cheese like this for years.....but I remembered my dad used to take crackers and cheese every single day to work. Every single day! No matter how broke we were growing up, dad always had crackers and cheese. :lol: So I added a couple triscuits to my mid morning snack, and then added that to my daily totals. Sort of an unplanned, new plan :D

Networking groups start up this week for the new year in full force. I dont usually have any problems with food at these things. Mostly because its just too hard to talk to people with food in my mouth, then I worry about food in my teeth. But its the time it takes, and I need to pay attention to my daily routines so I can get myself taken care of.

Hubby and I have started walking back and forth to work again. Its funny how we get away from it. So, there is some exercise there. I still need a more, but Im working on it.

Im still printing totes :( Im getting bored with them :lol: Have a great day everyone!~

BillBlueEyes 09-17-2008 06:06 AM

Wednesday

Diet Coaches – Walked past Whole Foods without going in for samples. CREDIT moi. Walked to the polling station to vote in my states' party primaries. Not a lot of choices to make, but felt like a proper citizen by voting. CREDIT moi.

onebyone – SPONGEBOB LUNCHBOX!!!! LOL, that's certainly a statement of sheer joy. Kudos for planning and packing your day's foods.

Robin (RobinW) - LOL at the "couple in front of you are arguing over who gets the Canadian Tire money." That's such a warm story remembering your father having cheese and crackers with lunch. And it reminds me that every time I have one of those nuggets from a chicken back, I remember that they were my father's favorites. Kudos for getting back into walking. Perhaps you could fight boredom by thinking of each smelly sock stamping of a tote as a coin saved for the printing press for auto wrapping.

shrinkin - RE "Do you have a favorite fall apple?" Do I ever. I have a dozen favorites. At least. This week Gala. But when I get my hands on one, Jona Gold is my favorite. Fuji just blows me away. Big Kudos for doing your pool at the hotel at 9pm. You're redefining the phrase, road warrior.

…For example, instead of thinking, I’m just human … It’s OK to have strengths and weaknesses, you might think, I should always do things perfectly. This kind of thinking increases your general level of stress because perfection is not attainable. … " Beck, pg 28.

onebyone 09-17-2008 07:12 AM

Week 6 Day 3

Good Morning coaches

I made it through yesterday. Credit moi. It was BUSY and it will be my regular day from now on that I have to get used to. I did have my morning class. The papermaking class had enough students to run and so I get to meet with my 3rd year mentor during her papermaking class. I am making books about :sssh: secrets:ziplip:. I spent the three hours further brainstorming the ideas that I came up with about secrets to whittle it down to a smaller list and then I took a tangent and came up with a "meta-idea" under which all the others will be ordered. Ooo. Sounds complicated eh? It isn't. Basically I am going to have non-human subjects, perhaps household furniture, tell their secrets...where they lived, who they lived with... just who smooched while sitting on their comfy cushions... the scandals of the past! I actually have a piece of furniture like this. I bought an antique chinese chair a few years ago. Very ornate and it has a burn ring on its seat. I picture it having been confiscated during the cultural revolution from some posh home and sent out into the countryside where it became strictly a untilitarian object. And now, decades later, the burn ring is a mystery to solve. I love this chair.

On other fronts, I also nailed down the project I am doing for Advanced Studio: some ceramic work. A series called "extreme crafting"--a continuation from first year when I made a woman knitting an atom bomb. I want to do "cooking up a storm" as my first piece. Also thought of "knitting bones" or "knitting a furrowed brow" "embroidering the truth"...if you guys can think of any other saying along these lines I'd love to have them! "spinning tales" "spinning in his/her grave" hmmm.... "weaving through traffic"

AND I made myself get to the gym after class. Credit moi. It was busy and I felt self-conscious doing the weight routine on the ball thingy. So I did the cardio for 40 minutes (spent longer cause I was watching a new episode of Spongebob while on the treadmill--the only consolation for getting to the gym when it was so busy) and I did three of my 10 exercises. I was also exhausted. I kept thinking I'd get there today but it's movie day and so I won't get there at all!
There's always tomorrow and Friday.

So, just had my breakfast and will take my snack with me. Credit moi. Lunch will be with DH at the theatre this afternoon, and then dinner at home with the spaghetti sauce I just cooked up. (Credit moi.) So organized! it this me?

Everyone, have a good day today, gotta run!

shrinkin 09-17-2008 08:32 AM

Wednesday report

Morning coaches,

Made it back from meeting and I must say pool exercise paid off yesterday. Left meeting in Rockville at 3:45 to try to be on plane departing at 5:00 from Regan airport. No cabs at hotel. Made quick decision to try the metro, even though train route required making connection and ends a long way from the old terminal. Amazing that I made the flight, second train arrived at destination terminal at 4:30, took me 10 min to run with bags to security. Would not have even considered this route in past; would have missed my flight sitting in traffic in taxi. CREDIT MOI for truly unplanned exercise.

Close to target yesterday for caloires. Was within 100 cals of standard plan. With a little allowance for travelling/dining out, I would say OK.

Now, to see if I can get back to my routines without being bored. I think after success in a challenge is the toughest time for me. Hopefully will not backslide today.

onebyone-WOW for your busy Tuesday. Kudos for creating the time and energy for getting your food together ahead of time. Thinking and planning, thinking and planning....WTG! High five for keeping it up and staying with your program. Must say I envy your right brain activity. I think I am a left brain person, so hard to imagine having your level of creativity. Hope you will post some PIX later as your various works are completed.

BillBlueEyes-Kudos for doing your civic duties. Didn't know you ever walked by Whole Foods without going in for some peppers, apples, pumpkin tendrils, or some other tasty purchase. LOL. Methinks you have gotten very good at turning down free samples though. My favorite apple is "Pink Lady". Not sure where these are grown. In fall, most of our apples come from Michigan and are very good. Any apple orchards in your area to pick your own? Used to do that in Michigan...lots of fun for the kids. DD (the one now in Boston area) loves this...and making fresh apple pies [OOPS...not to think about those. :0)]

RobinW-Yup, take credit for that walking to work. That is a great routine! And having DH do it with you...extra CREDIT. You will keep adding little steps and making time in your busy day to take care of yourself. BTW, I am still frequently tempted to skip my exercise, but I ask myself the Beck question: "If I had to do this to lilve, would I?" My mother's expression is "to take exercise like medicine". Whatever it takes to be healthy. Warm feeling from your flash remembrances. I have them frequently about little things from both my older brother and my dad. Bittersweet, but glad to have the memories.

BBE-love that Beck quote for today: "...Perfection is not attainable." Will reflect on that today.

Sending positive thoughts to all!

RobinW 09-17-2008 10:39 AM

Good Morning,

Bill~ kudos for skipping the free samples! I almost never take the samples. It comes from my nut allergy. Most of the time the folks handing out the samples havent got a clue as to what is in the product they are pushing. Mind you the last sample I tried at sam's club was the breaded haddock. Wow, it was good!! Ive bought 2 bags of the stuff since :lol:

onebyone~ you are one busy lady!! I could take lessons on planning from you!! Kudos for getting to the gym!

shrinkin~ Awesome unplanned exercise!! I love the feeling of getting lighter and being able to move more without so much effort. Sounds like you did great on your trip.

Yes, Im still printing totes. Pretty much all the profit from this job goes to the cost of a table at a women's conference next month. It really kind of stinks that weeks of work are only worth an 8hr session in at a conference. Lets hope I can get alot of business from this thing! Seems a but unbalanced doesnt it?! Oh well!

Im struggling again today, but food is planned and set. Lunch is (yuck) salad....I'll be at a networking meeting thru the lunch hour. So I dont have to worry about over eating there :lol: Had my breaky, and the chicken is thawing at home.

I need to pop some motivational cd's in the player today!

Have a great day everyone!

QuilterInVA 09-17-2008 11:05 AM

Good morning!

BBE I give you credit for passing up the free samples and voting. Too many don't vote, just complain.

OneByOne I wish we could see your books about secrets when they are done. It sounds very interesting. All your projects do. I love your art projects, you are very creative. Credit also for going to the gym. Enjoy your movie.

Shrinkin Exercise just sneaks in when you least expect it. Hang in there until your back on your regular schedule.

I went to the doctor for my knee yesterday and will be starting physical therapy (for 3 weeks) to strengthen it on Monday. I'll be so glad to be rid of the brace but thankful it did the job.

Quilting Bee tonight so must be strong and avoid the dessert.

hbuchwald 09-17-2008 11:47 PM

Hi there coaches,
I am here, alive, just BUSY and off track. :( How could I have let this happen? I know that I shouldn't feel guilty but be responsible and take charge and get back on RIGHT NOW. It is easy for me to sabotage with "I have been eating off plan for awhile now, what is one more day"? I usually do well with breakfast and lunch and during the day at school -it is at night when I am tired and dd is down that I start raiding the kitchen... It is a habit as much as it is some kind of release from all the responsibilities/stresses of the day.

School is going really well for both me and dd. She LOVES kindergarten and it eating it all up. I love it-I hope that she continues to love school and want to stay on top of her work (yes, there is homework in kindergarten!)....if she can get that stuff down, her whole school career will feel more doable for her. I will just stick with now though huh?

THREE YEARS BBE-WOW! Big congrats and I continue to admire your dedication adn constant self-discovery. You continue to learn and grow and reflect. Give me a shout out when Oprah calls and you end up in the chair next to her being interviewed!

onebyone: great job on getting into that gym workout routine. Was the personal trainer visit a one time thing or will she check in with you to help you tweak it/evaluate it as you go? What great accountability.

Hello to everyone-my computer is slow and it takes me a LONG time to toggle between different 3fc windows and a response window to respond personally to everyone. I will get back into reading each day-then the number of toggles decreases.

I do solemnly swear to try and be gentle with myself and make plans to do something relaxing/enjoyable tomorrow after dd goes to bed. Off to plan my food for tomorrow.

Goodnight!

twilit tera 09-18-2008 12:34 AM

Hello, all.

I just discovered The Beck Diet Solution, thanks to something posted on another thread, and even though I'm only on the first couple of days, I really like it. I showed it to my aunt, who has a lot of mental blocks to sticking with a diet, and she said that she thought it looked good.

I'm having to take more time on each step than I'd like, but hey, life is life and I've just got to keep at it. It helps that I've already lost 20 pounds before discovering the book, and some of that success I attribute to CBT tools I learned elsewhere.

My issue at the moment is choosing my diet and backup diet. I've been on so many in the past (and given up on every one of them) that I decided this time to try NOT dieting, just being mindful of my eating, the motivations and triggers and learning to listen to what my body is telling me about food and exercise. So far, it's been working really well.

I have a lot of flexibility, but a few rules about what kinds of food I seek out and under what conditions I choose to eat. (veggies, lean protein and whole grains being my primary meal choices, but nothing is completely "off limits")

One rule I have is that I must write everything down at time time that I'm having my meal or snack. I track what kind of food (not how much, I just eat slowly and pay attention to when I stop feeling hungry) and what my mood is at the time that I'm starting my meal.

So I guess I'm looking for a diet that offers a whole lot of flexibility. I don't want any foods off limits, though I don't mind "eat them sparingly." I am resistant to having to measure my portions, and I think that's my biggest problem. Whether I'm counting calores or points or what, there's going to be that measuring facet... that's the only way to know how much to count.

When I'm mindful of what I'm eating, my portions are reasonable. I don't know precisely how much I'm eating, but I'm using the small plates and the food doesn't completely cover them.

For example, we had barbecue for dinner at my aunt's house. I took one slice of turkey (about 2 inches wide and 5 inches long). It looked lonely, so I almost got another size half as long, but then I put it back because "This is way too much." I dragged a streak of sauce across the slice - seriously it was less than an eighth of a teaspoon, and took about 1/4 cup of potato salad, 1/4 cup of coleslaw, and 1/2 cup of green beans. I took a complete miss on the blackberry cobbler (and felt completely victorious for doing so, especially when I was the only one who did).

This is very typical of how I eat when I'm following the rules I've set for myself. No, I don't know how many calories I had, but I do know that I felt satisfied and not full.

Okay, this post has gone on much longer than I expected it to. My point is... does anyone have any advice or a diet plan that sounds like what I'm describing?

Thanks! (here I go clicking "Post Quick Reply"... I feel like a lier for that) ;)

BillBlueEyes 09-18-2008 05:35 AM

Welcome tera (twilit tera )

:welcome: tera (twilit tera ) :welcome:

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in honor of your joining 3FC last month, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about Beck? And how did you find our discussion group here?

BillBlueEyes 09-18-2008 06:24 AM

Thursday

Diet Coaches – My new goal at the gym is to do a pull up. I've twice now been able to do one using the 20# counter weight. CREDIT moi. Each gym day I'll do another, until I can get that down to 0.0# counterweight. Looking forward to that challenge.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Yeah the DD "LOVES kindergarten." Ouch that the transition to fall has been a struggle. Kudos for the positive attitude and for planning tomorrow's meals - I sense you moving onto your winter wagon. Thank you for the kind words. But, as for Oprah, now there's a lady that knows something about losing weight. It's hard for me to imagine being that public as I yoyo'ed about losing then gaining. Gotta admire her.

onebyone – Just loving your antique chinese chair with its extracted history. The secrets project sounds like an ideal tool to loose your imagination upon the world. Big Kudos for giving yourself credit. You are so on top of your busy life there.

Robin (RobinW) - continuing to grind away at totes brings to mind:
Quote:

You an' me, we sweat an' strain,
Body all achin' an' racked wid pain -
Tote that barge, lift that bale
Get a little drunk and
You lands in jail...

I gets weary and sick of tryin'
I'm tired of livin'
And scared of dyin'
And Ol' Man River,
He just keeps rollin' along
Ouch that you see your luncheon salad as "yuck" - maybe it's time for some variation there. Have you tried pinto beans as an addition? Or green scallions?

shrinkin - No one can get from Rockville starting at 3:45 in rush hour for a 5:00 Reagan Airport flight. You have upped your own status as da Road Warrior, LOL. Kudos for pulling it off and Kudos for recognizing that your improved health made it possible. Yep, "Pink Lady" is another favorite apple for me also. We do have some pick-your-own apple orchards just west of here .... hmmmmmmm ... maybe need to add that to my fall activities.

Susan (QuilterInVA) - Yeah for progress on the knee. Kudos for your perseverance with exercise despite it.

tera (twilit tera ) – Congrats on the 20 pounds. Great to have you join us already believing in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) - we are always open to CBT insights for staying on our respective paths.

Kudos for your portion choice with the turkey. You sound like you're well on your way to writing your own diet plan - the one you'll use for life. There's a bunch of people around here that rolled their own, and that worked for me, also.

…Instead of thinking, I should generally be a nice person if I reasonably can, you might think, I should always make everyone happy. This is another highly stressful idea because it also represents an impossible goal. … " Beck, pg 28.

shrinkin 09-18-2008 07:44 AM

Thursday report

Morning coaches!

Having a victory dance weigh in day today. Scale down another 3 pounds! 4 week average loss=1.4 pounds. WooHoo for that while realizing big drop may set up for disappointing weigh in next week. For now, will just take it and be happy. Actually still more happy about that run with luggage that made trip home possible Tuesday night. I am training to keep the scale as "just a number".

Yesterday got in unplanned exercise walking to a meeting cross campus rather than driving. CREDIT MOI. Not a planned exercise day. Today is pool day and physical therapy. Back to the routines, I hope. Pleased with report that I will give PT. Have been dutiful with arm exercises. Also probably played big role in luggage run. Was worried arms would be worse after travel, but I think they are about the same. Right one is back to normal. Left still with trouble.

BBE-Congrats on that pull up, even if with counter weight. Proud that you just keep setting new goals for your fitness.

Twilit tera-:welcome2:to the Beck board! I think you have already found your diet plan. I am a calorie counter, but realize that does not appeal to most people. WTG on saying no on that blackberry cobbler and for counting it as a victory rather than feeling sorry for self. That is pure Beck thinking. :) Congrats on the 20 pounds..clear evidence your plan is working.

hbuchwald-Glad to hear from you. Neat that you and DD are both loving school. Nighttime eating is a huge challenge for me. My most successful OP days are ones that I intentionally force myself to do after dinner activities...often relatively boring ones like laundry or cleaning...keeps me out of the kitchen and off of the couch. I can't do personal posts doing the toggle routine. I open two internet windows and direct both to the 3FC Beck URL so that I have the board up on two screens. I then size the windows so I can read on left hand side of screen and write on the right hand side of screen.

QuilterinVA-Smilin about your knee progress and a woohoo for getting out of that brace! Enjoy the bee!

RobinW-Feel for you on that sense that work may have low return. Kudos for just saying OH WELL. Yup, being able to move more and feeling better are one of my ARC items. I get "salad overload" often too. When it happens, I just lay off of salads. My lunches frequently consist of 3 oz of lean deli meat, a cup of cherry tomatoes, some of the tiny carrots and fruit either grapes or apple. When I am really busy, I don't pack a daily lunch. I take my groceries to my minifrig at the office (under my desk counter) and then I am set for a while without having to do daily planning. I have gotten very good at knowing portions without weighing. CREDIT to you for planning your food and making it happen.

onebyone-dont see a post from you yet, but hope you had a great movie day yesterday with DH. Sending you positive vibes for your gym routine and for working on all of your projects.

Sending out a happy OP Thursday to all Beck posters and readers!

onebyone 09-18-2008 07:53 AM

week 6 day 4 the aftermath

Good morning coaches

First the positive: a big credit moi for packing my 3 meals for the day. And I ate breakfast too...deserves it's own credit I think! Actually credit moi for having the food to make the lunch to begin with and for the alram clock being set and the body getting up and out of bed to make the meals for the day credit moi.
Now the wiggly, not as clear cut acts: yesterday during my planned food day for my eveything is allowed carb up day I ate within the structure of my plan, though I stretched my lunch to include the popcorn after the biscotti and cappuccino I had passing the time for the movie to start. Perhaps, popcorn is a dessert afterall? Anyway, all I mean is my lunch s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out too long if I am honest. Foodwise it was okay fine. And I caved and bought one of those iced cinnmon buns I always walk by. It was fine for my dinner dessert but i also ate DH's chocolate croissant that I had in the same bag. He didn't even know I d it for him cause I never told him and when the time came to tell him I gobbled it down instead.:o I just wanted it, did not even think about this as a case of desire a la Beck. So my coaches, still muchwork to do eh?

Looks like if I want to be consistent at the gym I am going to have to accept that I need to leave the house at 7am, exercise clothes on when I walk out that door, and go directly to the gym. I need to schedule the heavy lifting days for Mon Fri when I have the days off from school. OMG the kiln room will be a busy place this semester as the ceramic classes, all 4 of them, are filled to capacity! AND the new teachers are PROLIFIC. each student is making like 10 small things a piece! YIKES This will be good for my pocketbook $-wise but stressful time-wise. Wow. have to get on that by the end of the week. I have my last Art in the Park this Saturday so I am desperately trying to get a few new paintigns done for it. Have only gathered my resources and not even started the actual painting! Sometrimes they come together fast...will hope for that but if i can't, i can't. Won't sweat it. i have plenty to bring. Could spruce up the ones I have instead maybe...

OMG almost 8. Have to go. Have a good day gang! :carrot: <--- and I mean THIS good!