Old 07-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #1  
Carrie ♥

S/C/G: 218/184/140

Height: 5'3"

Default **No S Diet**

Is anyone doing The No S Diet?

I was reading about it on a website, and it looks okay, but I want a few opinions on it from people I know are actually on it so I know if maybe it will work for me before I start it & then get frusterated because it's not working.. Hope to get some replies soon!

Thanks!
Carrie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #2  
1 Day at a Time

I just looked it up. Looks cool but for me, sometimes I am afraid will go over to all the other days of the week too. I am afraid I wont eat a snack I will have to eat the whole cake. If you have the willpower to do it go for it!!! I suck... I don't..
missi9245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

Right up front I have to be honest and say I haven't read the whole plan in depth so I could be all full of hooey but I'm not sure it would work for me either - I'm one of those people who has trigger foods that, if I eat one, I have to eat everything in sight. I also find that I do much better if I have a big majority of my food spread out over the whole day. I nibble on something pretty much every couple of hours - not a full blown meal of course but a hard boiled egg here and a couple of raw almonds there. Keeps my energy and mood on a much more even keel. If I didn't get my 10:00 am egg I might be a little hard to live with

Best of luck to you though, hope it turns out to be the ONE that works for you.

Last edited by yoyonomoreinvegas; 07-24-2008 at 07:11 PM.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #4  

No-S is what I'm planning on doing for maintenance. Right now, I've been following a strict calorie counting diet to get some weight off faster, but I know I won't be able to do that for life (been there, done that, gained it back). So, at the outset, I've been planning on what I know I'll be able to live with and No-S seems about right to me. No counting, no freaking out if I have a special function, no worrying about carbs, etc.

In my 20's, I did a version of No-S (I didn't know about No-S then; it probably wasn't even around). At that time, I didn't have any extra money to buy special foods, and it just seemed to hard for me to calorie count. So I devised my own rules: 3 portion-controlled meals each day (no seconds, trying my best to make them reasonably healthy) with only fruit as snacks inbetween. I lost so much weight that I was TOO skinny.

The fatal flaw in my plan (and the reason I regained the weight) was that I did not make any room for sweets or goodies. In short, there were no "S" days in my plan. So, after two years of following my plan, I went off the deep end and started eating sweets like there was no tomorrow! And--you guessed it---I regained the weight.

Fast forward to now (I'm 40), and I really feel as if No-S would work for me to maintain a weight loss because it's simple (which is what I need) and it allows for some goodies in limited portions. Some people on the No-S forum have tweaked the diet to suit them. There are those who do go overboard on "S" days, and have incorporated their own rules to handle that. I read about one person who does not do weekend days but instead, allows herself 3"incidents" of "S"'s per week (e.g., a dessert = 1, eating seconds = 2, etc.). I like that, so that's what I think I'll try. It's important to realize that the laws of nature do not cease to exist because it's an S day (i.e., you'll gain weight if you see S days as permission to eat 1/2 gallon of ice-cream, 1/2 a cake, etc.).

The reason I'm considering No-S for maintenance rather than for weight loss is that I just don't have enough patience for what seems to be a very slow weight loss using No-S. Although some posters on the No-S board have lost a good amount of weight in a normal time-frame, many of them are losing at a rate of 2 lbs. a month or less. I wouldn't mind that if I was within 5-10 lbs. of my goal, but I have at least 25 lbs. to lose, and I don't want to take a year to lose it. That being said, though, I think you can lose fast on No-S if you really watch what you're eating at mealtimes.

Last edited by lynnm39; 07-24-2008 at 07:56 PM.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #5  
Carrie ♥

S/C/G: 218/184/140

Height: 5'3"

Smile *Thank You!*

lynnm39,

Thank you so much for all the info!

I was reading about the No S Diet & I thought it sounded so good.. But I like your idea better.. the 3 balanced meals a day & only fruit in between.. But I would add in sweets on my "S" days just to be safe..

If you want, I'll keep you posted on my progress on your diet idea.. Let me know.. I also write every evening in my 3FC blog about what I ate and how much I exercised that day if you wanna check that out..

Thanks again!

♥Carrie
Carrie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #6  

I would definitely love to keep abreast of your progress. In my "new and improved" (I hope) version of No-S, I'm going to try to eat any fruit I want with my meals rather than snacking on it. I'm trying to wean myself from the habit of snacking. I am, however, going to give myself 3-4 "incidents" of "S"ing throughout the week rather than "S"ing on weekends.

(P.S. - Where do I find your blog? I'm clueless!)

Edited to add: I just noticed that we're the same height and our goal weight is the same. What a coincidence! It will be interesting to see how this plan works for you (and how it will eventually work for me)!

Last edited by lynnm39; 07-24-2008 at 10:08 PM.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote