Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #91  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Well, unfortunately my scale does not have a fat % and I don't have a Caliper either. Hmm...I'll have to see what I can do to calculate that. I just wanted to know out of curiosity.

As for calorie requirement, I thought we entered the calories in the software online? I did not know that sensewear calculated my calorie requirements for me?

Looking at the display it is telling me I've lost about 2200 calories so far. It's amazing to see that...I honestly don't know to believe it or not. I haven't uploaded my data yet though. All I did today was walk at work for 35 mins or so (fast paced). No other exercise and walk from parking lot to work and back. No heavy exercise as I want to see how much I burn with little to no exercise.

Up to now I've capped my calories to 1600 but I rarely reach that. I always range from 1200 to 1400 calories per day.

In the software I put my daily calories to be 1400 and my deficit it calculated as 2400/day. I'm assuming I could change it as the default was 1000 calories intake/day.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #92  
Justin

S/C/G: 166/140/132

Height: 5' 7"

it calculated your requirement based on your height/weight.

i am a lil confused on what you mean by "you upped your calories." which calories? the one you consume? your daily goal on how much to burn?

are you logging your food? because the deficit is based on that. if you don't log anything, the program will just consider it as a deficit.

after you have logged your food, ALL of it, make sure your deficit is 1000 or less a day.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #93  
Justin

this is how mine is setup.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #94  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Well, what I meant was before I got the Sensewear, based on my weight/height combo my daily calories were around 1900 I believe (according to some web based calculator) but to me that had just sounded too much especially when I was trying to lose weight. So I set my calorie intake to 1600/day with moderate exercise. But I rarely ever reached 1600 calories/day cuz I was using it as the upper most limit. So I always ranged between 1200 to 1400 calories/day which seemed to be working but a tad slower for my liking.

Now that I bought the sensewear I want to see if I could get away with same calories or do I have to lower it? And also exactly how much my body was burning by itself as well.

I tried to upload the data from armband for the first time yesterday and I have to say it's a little more complicated when it comes to adding food than I'd anticipated. See lot of my food is custom made at home and it's very hard to enter each and every ingredient in the software to make it a food item.

What I've been doing is that for example, say If I made a veggie sandwich - I would calculate the calories for every ingredient and then just put the total amount for that sandwich in my blog...so after all done with a veggie sandwich would be say 300 cal. Now when I tried to do the same in SenseWear last night for some reason it did not let me enter anything over 100 cal in the total saying it was hard to calculate carb, protein etc for that high calorie or something along those lines. It was frustrating cuz I did not want to enter each and every ingredient in the sandwich I'd made (as I'd already calculated the calories for it) and I just wanted to put the total calories of the sandwich in there. But I couldn't and it was driving me nuts.

So now I have to build the list first before I even decide to upload the info from the armband. Unless of course I'm doing something wrong and missed something totally

What I mean to say is that I thought I would have been able to do just this simply on the software:

Coffee - 30
Sandwich - 250
etc without having to add each and every ingredient in my food. But it seems I can't if the food calorie is over 100
Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #95  

Thanks for the info on the body fat measurement. My BF scale has quit on me, so I think before my Senseware WMS arrives (found out that it's actually going to arrive Thurs, not today) I'll see if I can find one of those caliper measurers and get the hang of using it.

Remember that everyone has a baseline amount of calories that we burn just by existing...and that number might be say 1500 or 2000 (just examples) depending on your size and other factors. Add in any activity at all....and that adds to your calorie burn for the day. What you need to remember is that if you want to lose 1 lb, you'll need a 3500 calorie deficit. Spread over 1 week 3500/7 = 500 cal/day 2 lb = 1000 cal/day ....so that would be your max for safe steady weight loss.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #96  
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintobean View Post
Well, what I meant was before I got the Sensewear, based on my weight/height combo my daily calories were around 1900 I believe (according to some web based calculator) but to me that had just sounded too much especially when I was trying to lose weight. So I set my calorie intake to 1600/day with moderate exercise. But I rarely ever reached 1600 calories/day cuz I was using it as the upper most limit. So I always ranged between 1200 to 1400 calories/day which seemed to be working but a tad slower for my liking.

Now that I bought the sensewear I want to see if I could get away with same calories or do I have to lower it? And also exactly how much my body was burning by itself as well.
so you are saying the online calculators told you to take in 1900? and you thought it was too high and you ATE around 1200-1400.

so the question is

what is your daily calorie BURN / EXPENDITURE: ??? (purpose of the bodybugg)
we know the intake: 1200-1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintobean View Post
I tried to upload the data from armband for the first time yesterday and I have to say it's a little more complicated when it comes to adding food than I'd anticipated. See lot of my food is custom made at home and it's very hard to enter each and every ingredient in the software to make it a food item.

What I've been doing is that for example, say If I made a veggie sandwich - I would calculate the calories for every ingredient and then just put the total amount for that sandwich in my blog...so after all done with a veggie sandwich would be say 300 cal. Now when I tried to do the same in SenseWear last night for some reason it did not let me enter anything over 100 cal in the total saying it was hard to calculate carb, protein etc for that high calorie or something along those lines. It was frustrating cuz I did not want to enter each and every ingredient in the sandwich I'd made (as I'd already calculated the calories for it) and I just wanted to put the total calories of the sandwich in there. But I couldn't and it was driving me nuts.

So now I have to build the list first before I even decide to upload the info from the armband. Unless of course I'm doing something wrong and missed something totally

What I mean to say is that I thought I would have been able to do just this simply on the software:

Coffee - 30
Sandwich - 250
etc without having to add each and every ingredient in my food. But it seems I can't if the food calorie is over 100
i think you are doing something wrong. there's no set limit by calories to what you can add. look at my carb meal..

you can also just create a custom food called "sandwich" and enter the total calories/protein etc.

Last edited by ndnguy85; 08-13-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #97  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnguy85 View Post
so you are saying the online calculators told you to take in 1900? and you thought it was too high and you ATE around 1200-1400.

--> Yes. I went to some site (not random but they were official enough) and calculated the calories based on weight and height etc. Anyhoo, right now I'm keeping it lower than 1600. I'm assuming it's ok.

so the question is

what is your daily calorie BURN / EXPENDITURE: ??? (purpose of the bodybugg)
we know the intake: 1200-1400

--> Hmm...well, without entering the food as of yet in the software it showed I burned around 2349 calories yesterday. With about 1/2 hour of brisk walk and some crunches for exercise. Once I enter the food I'll know better how much am I actually burning.

you can also just create a custom food called "sandwich" and enter the total calories/protein etc.

--> I was trying to enter custom food as like I mentioned I make food with so many ingredients it is just impossible to keep entering in it rather than just a whole item. And mine looked similar to what you have here in the picture and Maybe I entered something wrong...cuz I chose 100 gram as my serving size (even though I didn't know how many grams it weighed) and for calories I entered 355 (as that's what it came up to be when I had prepared it)...I left rest of the nutrition info blank as I did not know and it would not let me save. It kept coming back with error. I'll try again tonight and see what is going on.

I am sorry for all these questions and bugging everyone with my frustrations here. Thanks for all the help and support

Last edited by pintobean; 08-13-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #98  
Justin

can you tell me your ingredients..and calories/amount you used..i can try to put it in mine and see what's going on.

as far as the calories you are burning..it has NOTHING to do with you entering foods or not. it's going to tell you that you burned X amount of calories regardless.

the only reason you need to enter your food is IF YOU WANT IT TO CALCULATE YOUR DEFICIT
(calories burned [the reason you wear your armband - calories you eat [reason you log your food])

if you don't care for the calorie deficit..then you don't need to enter in anything. just wear the arm band..and upload throughout the day to see how much you are burning. then you can just eat around 500-750 calories less.

we need to know when you upload your armband.

a day runs from 12AM to 11:59PM. so before you go to sleep, upload and see what your daily burn was because obviously you are not going to eat during your sleep.

for ex. if you sleep at 10pm, upload your armband and note the number. but remember, that you have 2 more hours left in that "day" before it starts over. so to be truly accurate upload it again in the morning the next day and look at yesterday's total.

you said you burned ~2350. so you can definitely eat around 1500-1600 calories and lose more than a lb a week.

want to lose more? get more active and increase your burn to say..2700 or something.

you can create a deficit in 2 ways..keep eating less or being more active. i would choose option 2. :-) because there's nothing wrong with being active but there's more issues with eating too little.

Last edited by ndnguy85; 08-13-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #99  

Hi all!

I received my armband Thursday, charged it up and wore it for the first full day Friday. I love it! I can tell already it is going to be so helpful to me...the feedback is great...I got the little monitor watch so I can check throughout the day my calories burned, steps and activity minutes/hours and if they are too low, I can do little things to increase them. For instance, my job is a desk job, so yesterday instead of taking the elevator to and from my 4th floor office in the a.m./p.m. and at lunch, I used the stairs. It's cool to see the immediate impact of that activity measured on my little watch.

It's also given me a rude awakening to how sedentary my job really is....I really had to make an effort to find reasons to get up and move during the day to keep the number rising. Intuitively, I've always known this, but in my work (I'm a CPA) I really need to think about moving or I could just sit in front of the computer and literally not move from one spot all day, yet still be productive in my job...that's a big issue for me. The armband just made it very real to me yesterday by putting a number to it....a very LOW number of calories burned!

Anyway, so I just worked harder at finding things that required me to get up...walked around and talked to people in person versus emailing them...did some filing, etc.

Another surprise was how many calories normal activities like mall shopping burned for me! I shopped yesterday afternoon after work for clothes and I can see a nice little spike in my graph! See, ladies, you can kill 2 birds with one stone! lol!

At the end of yesterday...I burned 1993 calories and consumed 1280. My goal is 2150/1400-1500 so I am on my way.

I go to a concert tonight (Rascal Flatts)...it will be interesting to see how much my jumping and dancing around burns! I CANNOT sit down during a RF concert. It is physically impossible for me...as a matter of fact, just thinking about it right now, I bet I'm getting a calorie burn spike! lol! Seriously, though...I usually end up leaving the concert totally exhausted...VIP seats from the fan club right up front and close up views (sometimes hand grabs) of Joe Don Rooney....sigh....... Ladies, if you don't know who I am talking about, you must check him out...especially the 'Melt' video! lol

Last edited by momof2gr8kids; 08-16-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #100  
Justin

great story.

it has made me more aware of my inactivity also.

it also comes in handy when you don't see changes on the scale. if you know you are burning more...and you are eating less..then just dont worry about it. sooner or later it will move.

Last edited by ndnguy85; 08-16-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #101  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Just wanted to give you guys an update:
I love the sensewear even though right now I'm not using it for it's full potential (missing food entry). But it's going to change soon slowly. We are building our custom food list on there and loving it so far. Today I prepped food for the week for my lunches and breakfasts and now it's all in their DB. So next week should tell me the deficit info as well.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #102  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hi everyone! looks like i missed some updates while i was gone. we're in the process of moving, and i didn't have time for meal planning, logging, long runs, or any of it. i didn't even upload because i couldn't find my cable. now i have, and all i can say is, if you're stuck in a plateau, try moving all your stuff from one city to another!!!

nice to hear how everyone's doing, too!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #103  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Welcome back kuhljeanie

Ok last night was first day to enter everything I ate in SenseWear. Amazing to see how it calculates every nutrient info and tells you in a pie chart how much of what I ate. I was mostly focusing on calories on my food intake and yes while I was controlling fats as well (eating low fat or FF food) my main focus was total calories. I was happy to see the total fat, carbs etc I'm injesting during the day. I'll keep building my food DB with the Software. I also started entering my vitamin supplement calories in there, something I never calculated before. Amazing to see my Omega 3 pills add about 50 calories for me per day. I'm entering everything I put in my mouth from now on.

BTW I've lost about 2 lbs since I started wearing the SenseWear and I'm happy about it especially since I haven't been exercising as much past few weeks and last few days have not been the best eating habits. But I was able to see the amount of burn and my steps etc which kept me going I'm getting back to my workout routine so here's hoping for better results.

Last edited by pintobean; 08-19-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #104  

Today is my 'official' weigh in day.
My regular scale is broken, though, so I've been using my wii fit for my weigh in....that means I wait until tonight after work to get the official results of week one.

So far this week, I have accomplished a few things with the sensewear...

1 - logged my food intake every day....and been more aware of where I need to improve my nutrients. I haven't been following a strict diet plan this week, rather just getting the feel of what my normal 'being good' days are like calorie and nutrient-wise. Overall, I need to increase my fruits & veggies, decrease my processed foods a bit and I should be ok with my caloric intake.

2-Had a very rude awakening to just how sedentary my desk job is...my burn rate just crawls while I'm at work! On the flip side, I also have seen how just small bits of activity add up throughout the day.

3-Confirmed something that I've suspected for a LONG time...I don't get enough sleep. While I'm laying down for 7-1/2 hours...I'm only actually sleeping for around 5....I need to work on getting to bed earlier and not hitting the snooze so much!

4-Learned that while daily formal exercise will add a chunk to the burn rate, it has to be combined with an active lifestyle to really pay dividends.

So far, I'm loving this little device. I also started the Beck Diet Solution Workbook today. I am hoping this time to make some permanent changes in my thinking and actions...this combo certainly seems promising. Anyone else had any experience with Beck?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #105  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

beck! yes! absolutely! i saw that you were on that thread too - welcome! i've been posting there regularly for about 8 months now. it's powerful stuff.

so glad to hear about the things you're learning from your monitor. really great. cheers!
Closed Thread