Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #16  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hmm...fatchickbgone, interesting question. i used fitday before, and somehow it just didn't "take" as well. not sure why, but i'm guessing the biofeedback part really puts the A in accountability. (or something like that.)

blueyedlvrgirl, can't wait to hear what you think! let me know when it shows up and how it works!

pintobean, the food log works just like the other ones - if you eat something that's not in their database (like tinkyada rice pasta or something) you can enter it with a nutrition label, and you can also build recipes using their foods and/or items you enter. i've found that it's a really good database for chain and restaurant stuff, and they've got a lot of brands for grocery store items (which i'm trying to buy less of.) if you eat the same thing every day, for breakfast, say, you can enter it into the meal plan for the days you usually eat it, and then when logging your food you can just click "I ate my meal plan" and that's that. if i get time, i'll edit this post with screen shots.

hope that helps!

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 07-17-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #17  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedlvrgirl View Post
Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information that you have presented here. It helped me in my decision. I bought one! Hopefully as I start to use it, I will be able to help others out with info, like you did for me. It will be interesting to do the same workouts I have done with my Polar and compare the calorie counts between them. I didn't get the display, I am waiting to see how much I really need it. It may be hard getting used to not being able to check my wrist for updates, like with the Polar, but there is a lot of anticipation involved in waiting. I want to work as hard as possible so I can see good results tonight when I upload.

Thanks again for all of the info!

Subbing...

The thing I liked about bodybugg was that you didn't have to log your food cals...it would read it for you.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #18  
Justin

S/C/G: 166/140/132

Height: 5' 7"

i have a question. when does the "day" start..? is it when you wake up?

is there a way around the online subscription for the body bugg? i really dont care for all the charts and graphs..because i just need a number at the end of the day saying this is what i burned. i read somewhere you can just get the wrist watch..but i am not quite sure how it works by itself.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #19  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
Subbing...

The thing I liked about bodybugg was that you didn't have to log your food cals...it would read it for you.
It read the food you ate? As in I could either eat an apple or a huge plate of spaghetti and it would know?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #20  
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chick B Gone View Post
It read the food you ate? As in I could either eat an apple or a huge plate of spaghetti and it would know?
thats wrong information. you have to log it yourself..otherwise the entire country would get one..imagine if you knew the in and out..
Old 07-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #21  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

The bodybugg video says:

Don't like to log your food?

boddybugg can tell you how much you ate based on your body's changes
See it here:

http://www.bodybugg.com/index.php

Last edited by onthetee; 07-17-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #22  
Justin

i think that's a tricky statement. they never say how they track the changes. my guess is weight. if everyday you entered in your weight and bodybugg knew how much calories you burned..it wouldnt be that hard to figure out what you have been consuming..
Old 07-18-2008, 12:39 AM   #23  
Justin

Does the bodybugg® armband track what I eat?
No, the armband itself tracks the calories you burn, but not the calories you eat. Your calories consumed are calculated by the bodybugg® interface based on your weekly body mass change. To better stay on track of your calorie input, the program also offers an easy-to-use food log so you can monitor the calories you eat throughout the day.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #24  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Thanks kuhljeanie for your response

I emailed SenseWear and asked them about their pricing...here's the reply I received. I'm posting here in case anyone is interested.

Thank you for contacting BodyMedia. We currently have limited number of introductory specials which includes our new SenseWear Mini armband, a display device, and a six month web subscription for $459. After the initial six month subscription, the current price is $5 a week. An order form has been attached for your convenience - you may complete it and email or fax back in to order. We are currently shipping within three days. Thank you again for contacting BodyMedia.

So SenseWear and Bodybugg are similar devices but products from different companies?? And also that Bodybugg is cheaper?

Last edited by pintobean; 07-22-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #25  
Back on the wagon

pintobean, bodybugg is cheaper because they're still on version 2, and the monitor costs extra (about $100). they're planning on releasing version 3 in the fall. sensewear sells version 3 now (see my discussion on this earlier in the thread.) it's exactly the same technology, different business model.

ndnguy85, thanks for calling them out on the not having to log food thing. it is misleading - there's no technology that i know of that automatically "reads" what you ate. i also think it's a cop out. weight fluctuations due to water retention and loss can be a read red herring. aside from that, all the research i've read indicates that the act of logging food makes people more accountable, and accountability is one of the big reasons to buy one of these devices. i'll use every trick we've got to help myself get more accountable (until that magical day when i acquire a thin person's eating mentality. ) if it never happens, i'll be logging my food until i can't log no more. don't know about just buying the monitor and skipping the subscription, not even sure if that's an option. if someone finds out, would you mind posting? cheers.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #26  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Thanks you for all the detailed information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhljeanie View Post
....don't know about just buying the monitor and skipping the subscription, not even sure if that's an option. if someone finds out, would you mind posting? cheers.
And I don't know about buying just monitor and skipping subscription but Bodybugg does have the opposite option where you can get the subscription without the monitor...they call it the web only program.

Click here - Web Only Program

Last edited by pintobean; 07-18-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #27  
Justin

Sensewear is $460..so i guess you can break it down to 315+ 100(digital display)+ 45 (three extra months).

it's smaller and does some more little stuff like sleep patterns.

as of right now bodybugg and display and 3 months included is 350. or 400 with another 3 months.

i wonder how much their new one is going to be.

i bought one off ebay. she sold it claiming brand new..and now she is saying she tried to activate it and she had trouble..so she gave up..

i have recieved it yet so hopefully i dont have to buy the web program again for an extra 100. ugh
Old 07-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #28  
Back on the wagon

quick correction - the sensewear $459 would break out to $315 + $100 + $45 for six months, not three - after that it's $5 a week. how would you get it activated without a subscription? let me know how it goes!

also didn't realize that version 2 didn't do the sleep stuff. that's cool to know (and makes me feel better about spending a little more for the tricked-out version.)

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 07-18-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #29  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
y'all welcome! glad the information was helpful. for what it's worth, IRS guidelines allow HSA funds to be used to purchase them if a doctor signs off on it being part of treatment for obesity and weight-related health issues.

from http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#d0e2229

Weight-Loss Program
You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). This includes fees you pay for membership in a weight reduction group and attendance at periodic meetings. You cannot include membership dues in a gym, health club, or spa as medical expenses, but you can include separate fees charged there for weight loss activities.

these monitors are often used by doctors post-WLS; and as part of bariatric clinic treatments, so it's worth looking into if you can use as HSA account to help pay for it (assuming your doctor doesn't use them.)

cheers!

WOW!!! Thanks for posting this info. I want one so bad but wasn't going to spend the extra money. I think I might just have enough left in my HSA this year to cover this!

Exciting!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #30  
Justin

Quote:
quick correction - the sensewear $459 would break out to $315 + $100 + $45 for six months, not three - after that it's $5 a week. how would you get it activated without a subscription? let me know how it goes!
so after 15 months..
sensewear 460+45 (9 months) = 505
bodybugg 350+100 (12 months) = 450

add on another year
sensewear 505+60 (1 year) = 565
bodybugg 450+100 (1year) = 550

so you would have to have sensewear at least 2 years and 3 months before you break even in terms of cost with the bodybugg.

by then who knows what will come out..

so unless you care for the smaller size (now that i know about it..i do ..lol)..just go with what you can afford. time will tell what bodybugg v3 will cost.

i havent heard anything from the lady yet..so i will let you know how my ******ed purchase went. this is what i get for trying to save.

Last edited by ndnguy85; 07-18-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Closed Thread