Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #271  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/135

Height: 4'10"

Default Armband vs the elliptical

I reset my trip before getting on the elliptical last night to compare the calorie burn and number of steps between each.

The armband was off and lower on the number of steps by about 10%. I know that the step count on the elliptical is accurate. I am sure it is because my left arm may not be moving as much as it would if I were actually walking particularly when I let go of the moving handles and rest them periodically.

As everyone has said the calorie burn was drastically different as the workout machines tend to inflate your results. The Armband measured about 55% of what the elliptical said I burned. I am going to wear the Polar heart rate monitor and compare that to the mix too.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #272  

S/C/G: 215.9/145.2/130

Height: 5'2''

OK- I started having issues with my display not syncing with the device yesterday. I did the 10 second restart and thought all was well today until I decided to upload the data. I've had a 1.1-1.4 calorie output since yesterday (around the time it wouldn't sync with the display) and that included kettle bell training and a 3.2 mile run. Soooo, I've plugged it into my laptop to charge and I'll try it again tomorrow.

I hate to add myself to list of people that have had a serious hiccup with this device, but I'm close to doing it.

Oh, and wouldn't you know that I realized I had a problem right after the office closed today for the weekend.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #273  
Justin

S/C/G: 166/140/132

Height: 5' 7"

it seems like people who have the sw have more problems..

and i thought the wireless sync device came with sw also? rip off there too?
Old 10-11-2008, 02:58 AM   #274  

S/C/G: 205.5/185.8/128

Height: 5' 2"

I've been wearing a bugg for 2 1/2 months now and want to make some comments on my own experience but first wanted to address a few posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyducky View Post
Hi all,

I have a Bodybugg and have had it for some time now (about 6 months). I wear it off and on, usually determined by how motivated I am feeling. I have a wedding coming up in about a year, and I am working on losing about 60 lbs. I have a question about driving. My Bodybugg seems to pick up a lot of movement when I am in the car. I drive a stick shift, and my commute is an hour each way in heavy traffic, but it seems odd to be burning ~5 calories a minute while sitting in the car. While briskly walking, I only burn between 6 - 7 per minute. Has anyone else experienced this? I think it is throwing my daily total way off...

Thanks,
Dana
I don't know about the car situation - you may want to let THEM know about that since they continue to do updates for various activities detected - that does seem off. Your numbers for your weight for brisk walking are actually pretty high. I'm 185ish right now and when I run I average around 6cpm burn. Brisk walking for me is 3-3.5. So count yourself lucky in that respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnguy85 View Post
if you guys are expecting to lose the precise amount of weight every week like the bugg tells you..it ain't gonna happen.

so just keep that in mind. weight is affected by wayy too many factors to be used as a reliable indicator of FAT LOSS.
Have you actually used it yourself? What are you basing this on? I've been using it for 2 1/2 months and my overall numbers are within 5%. From a week to week basis, it isn't representative but over a 4 week period it is VERY accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
I reset my trip before getting on the elliptical last night to compare the calorie burn and number of steps between each.

The armband was off and lower on the number of steps by about 10%. I know that the step count on the elliptical is accurate. I am sure it is because my left arm may not be moving as much as it would if I were actually walking particularly when I let go of the moving handles and rest them periodically.

As everyone has said the calorie burn was drastically different as the workout machines tend to inflate your results. The Armband measured about 55% of what the elliptical said I burned. I am going to wear the Polar heart rate monitor and compare that to the mix too.
I use a Polar F11 for cardio along with my bugg. Machines will tell me I burned almost double my bugg, the Polar F11 shows around 50% more burned than the bugg. I have no doubt that HRM's would be unreliable showing my burn. My doc agreed with this. I have a very low resting heart rate - 57-58 bpm. I've been in exceptionally good physical condition most of my life and the bulk of my weight gain was in a 1 year time frame. (I went from 145 to 205.5 from June of last year to June of this year - it started when being put on Prednisone for a short period of time.) The problem for me is that the extra weight on my body accelerates my heart rate very fast. For example, when I jog 5 mph, my hr jumps to max within a minute or so. I think my heart thinks I'm doing it while carrying an extra 40 lbs or so on my back hehe So the burn rate cannot be accurate for me personally.

To relate my own history with the bugg. I got it because charting my BMR and supplemental activities were not giving me an accurate picture of what I should have been losing. Yes, I did remove my BMR calories from the extra activities to try and be accurate. But it didn't work. The HRM also didn't work and as we know, it isn't effective for tracking burn for strength training and some types of sports.

My own idea was that even if the bugg was inaccurate, I could make adjustments on my own to what I was seeing so that I could get a better handle on what I needed to do in order to lose weight.

Right after getting the bugg, my weight loss as far as the SCALE went came to a screeching halt. I had lost around 15 lbs in 6 weeks or so. Then for 6 weeks I pretty much stayed the same. HOWEVER the deficit shown by my bugg when comparing to body fat rather than scale alone are within 5% accuracy. Let me explain ---

Even though I wasn't losing weight on the scale, my lean body mass changed tremendously. When I started to lose weight, I was at around 43% body fat. When I started with the bugg I was at 32%. I'm currently at around 28%. The bugg deficits correlate exactly to this when considering 1 lb of fat loss is 3500 calories, 1 lb of muscle increase correlates to 500 extra calories and the change in the water I am carrying (39% up to 42% now) makes up the rest of the difference. The numbers have almost exactly balanced out for me. For the water percentage, I'm basing that on one of the higher end tanita's which have matched dunk test results.

Figuring this out goes a bit beyond what the normal bugg reporting does. In a way, I feel it has given me more control and in other ways, it's made me realize how much less control we have over WEIGHT loss (as opposed to fat loss) compared to what I thought. ie I can say I will burn so many calories through exercise and consume so many and will lose X pounds of fat based on this. However I cannot say what other shifts will happen in terms of the percentage of water weight I am carrying or muscle gain so knowing what the scale will say is a different story.

I have found through ongoing use that some activities are off a little in their burn rate. For example, rollerskating for me is underestimated a bit and tennis is a little overestimated.

A few other remarks - for sleeping I keep it on all the time. More because it helps me measure the quality of sleep I'm getting. If I see steps in my sleep, that is a sign I had poor quality sleep. So I look at what I did the previous day and try and make adjustments based on that. In the early days I didn't wear it consistently to sleep and that would set my overall burn off a little.

For normal activities, I've found the step counter part to be accurate. I use a wii fit from time to time and the numbers for free step are within 5 count of what the bugg says (and given I'll do around 1200 steps in a 10 minute period, I think that's a pretty reasonable error margin). I've compared it to an Omron for walking/running and it's been accurate within 0.5%. At faster speeds on a TREADMILL, I find it can be off a little more because I don't move my arms at the same pace my legs move. I don't use an elliptical now but when I did in the past and used an Omron, it was off as is. Any pedometers are known to be off for elliptical and bikes when used out of the box. Even with the Omron, you'd need to do a 100 step test to match it properly. The bugg doesn't have such a sensitivity feature so you have to make adjustments accordingly.

A few other observations - when I had a high temperature for a couple of days, my bugg showed a burn at a very high rate. Overall - and I was inactive those couple of days - I burned at much being inactive as I did with a normal workout thrown it. But at the end of the week, the numbers balanced out. I really don't like the manual adjustment part when you aren't wearing the bugg. Swimming for example put in a burn rate much higher than I know I burned. I did wear my Polar for swimming and the adjustment in the Apex interface showed more than my Polar burn did even. So I know that was off. The best post workout burn I have seen has been from when I do HIIT. I'd see my resting burn rate be higher for up to 20 hours after a session. I had asked my bugg coach about this during my free call and she said that HIIT does have this effect.

On pricing - if you have a local 24 hour fitness and know someone else locally that wants a bugg too, I suggest going to the manager and seeing what kind of deal you can strike. My partner and I got our buggs for $220 each including the display. They are still making money at that price, so don't feel bad about trying to negotiate.

With everything I wrote, I am not implying by any means that the bugg is a perfect tool for everyone. It has made me more accountable and I definitely know I won't be without it for the duration of my weight loss journey. Even knowing that a 5 lb loss decreases my burn rate for doing the same activities and by how much is useful for me. If you've not gathered this from my post, I'm also a tool junkie and don't believe that any one tool completes the picture. But the tools and monitoring steps I take combined are really helping me stay on track rather than just using the scale alone as a judge. I am motivated but I know that if I had gone 2 months of maintaining what I thought was a calorie deficit and seeing NO change at all on the scale, I'd have been ready to throw in the towel. Knowing that my body FAT loss was happening was crucial for me not only to stick with it but to actually increase my motivation.

Sorry for being so long winded
Old 10-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #275  

Great post "ANewMe"!
Old 10-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #276  

Quote:
it seems like people who have the sw have more problems..

and i thought the wireless sync device came with sw also? rip off there too?
Based on users posting on this particular forum, it seems like SW has more problems, but I wouldn't say we're the best representative group. SW doesn't have it's own forum, but if you go to the BB forum, you'll see lots of users on there that have had problems.

And, no, the wireless sync device doesn't come with SW. I wouldn't consider that a rip-off though- it's pretty painless to just upload via USB (which has a nice "normal" input, unlike a lot of devices these days.) Does BB come with a wireless sync device?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #277  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeforej View Post
Does BB come with a wireless sync device?
Yes, it is included. However after the first 3 weeks or so I went to using USB. It would take me a few goes to get the wireless working and I'd get frustrated. hehe With the bugg and USB I'd recommend removing it from your arm and waiting before it beeps before you start the update process and connect the USB. I've made the mistake a couple of times of attaching the usb too soon only to have my computer reboot!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #278  

Six days on the sensewear armband, and all the issues are sorted out including the wireless upload.

I told myself I wouldn't weigh in until a full week, day #seven but I did it this morning and am down 2 1/2 pounds.

Will keep updating as I go.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #279  
Justin

S/C/G: 166/140/132

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewMe View Post
Yes, it is included. However after the first 3 weeks or so I went to using USB. It would take me a few goes to get the wireless working and I'd get frustrated. hehe With the bugg and USB I'd recommend removing it from your arm and waiting before it beeps before you start the update process and connect the USB. I've made the mistake a couple of times of attaching the usb too soon only to have my computer reboot!
it says right there in the manual to NEVER plug it in while it's on your arm..meaning when it's active.

and yes i have used it for the last 3 months. that's what i was basing it off on.

i stopped wearing it since i kind of figured out my body and how much calories i burn during a typical day. i still use the food logging since it's an easy way to track daily intake. i might get back to wearing it once the new one comes out but the current one is just too bulky to be wearing anywhere now. especially college. haha
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #280  

Quote:
it says right there in the manual to NEVER plug it in while it's on your arm..meaning when it's active.
Justin, reread what I wrote. I was saying to make sure it actually beeps AFTER it is removed from your arm. It can take *several* minutes for this to happen. I know a few other people who hadn't been aware of this and also had the unpleasant experience of their computers just rebooting.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #281  

Just read the stream of posting concerning BB & SW. This summation reflects an extensive amount of reading over the past six months. The units are the same from an algorythm perspective, the portals are different. The sync issues relate to understanding how sync works. Transmitting the data to the wireless or to the display is the same process. Today there are two different models, the larger one that uses the replacable battery is older, the new armband uses a rechargable battery. Most problems that relate to the older model stem from a low battery, there are a few tricks to know which would ease most of the problems listed above. I use the myminifly.com site for technical reference. I believe this site also references technical data concerning the older unit. HRM & exercise equipment offer a good estimate of calories burned but SW & BB use multiple sensors to better define the activity, for which i would conclude increased accuracy. On the hand, if using SW or BB the data collected is constant and repeatable. If considered as the baseline, increased activity or less activity will be reflected consistantly, my goal, whoever is truly the most accurrate, is to improve activities, it needs to be based on a single source. Since SW & BB measure all activities 24 X 7 I put my trust in the technology. I do prefer SW over BB. If you find the right source, SW offers more flexibility, the key is truly understanding how the technology works and what it's based upon.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #282  

Default Still happy!

Well today is 10 days using the Sensewear!!

For several days last week I was out of town at a conference and had little control over my schedule or my meals (meals were provided)--anyway, I will admit even wearing the Sensewear did not keep me from eating a piece of pecan pie for dessert and a few other things that would not be found on a well planned diet list.

However, for the first time in my entire life, I sought out and found the hotel fitness center and went every night---normally when I'm out of my normal routine and at a conference it is like having a free pass to indulge!!! I could see on my display that by 5:00pm my total steps were only around 3500 and total calories burned were around 1500------just knowing these numbers and that I had consumed extra calories encouraged me to take some sort of control and I went to the fitness center. I still didn't hit 10,000 but I did get over 9000 steps each day which for me is reallly good!!!

I could not log my calories consumed but I did write them down and log them when I got home. The final result was no weight gained and no weight lost which in reality is a huge good thing----almost like getting thru Thanksgiving or Christmas without gaining!!

I really believe that it has done a lot to motivate me --- it doesn't beat me up or taunt me nor does it judge (like the scale) when I've messed up---it simply provides me with very valuable in-time information and allows me to decide what I want to do with it! I have been fighting weight loss for most of my adult life and constantly for the past 26 years (I'm 46) and in the short period of time I have had my Sensewear I have found it to be the most useful tool !!

I have not had any major issues with using it, however, the site does not seem to like AOL and at times will not find the Sensewear software, so I just use IE when I log in to Sensewear.com.

I also have found that my display goes out of sync at times but I think this primarily happens when I adjust or move the armband and it loses contact with my arm----it only takes a second to re sync and all is well !

For those of you who use the Sensewear and sleep with it, could you post how much actual sleep you are getting? It can show that I'm lying down for 6.5 hours but only sleeping 4.5 hours with some time slots completely blank for 20 or 30 minutes ---like I'm not lying down or sleeping-----have any of you noticed this?

Thanks for all of the posts----I really enjoy reading how everyone is doing with their SW and BB. Without all of the input found here I seriously doubt I would have ever taken the plunge and made the purchase!!!

Karen
Old 10-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #283  

Default sleeping with the sensewear armband

My armband states that I sleep more than I actually do. It actually captures all the time that I am lying down from when my head hits the pillow until I get up.

I actually wake up (I toss and turn) during the night but try not to look at the clock or I will never get back to sleep.

I was hoping that it would pick up that I was waking up through one of the many sensors but because I am still attempting to lie very still and fall back asleep, it captures that time as sleeping.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #284  

Default 7th day

I have dieted or "watched what I ate" for over 20 years. I know how many calories are in all the foods I eat, and have been working out for the last few years for 30 minutes to an hour most days ... with absolutely no weight loss.

I am not a binger and I don't go crazy with any type of food. A couple of bites of chocolate will do it for me and I can talk myself out of eating a whole candy bar with guilt. My downfall is bread and pasta, but still I can moderate myself. It is always out the portion size.

With this device I feel like I have a shot at losing the weight, and I haven't felt this empowered or in some ways as happy about myself as I have since I put this thing on. In fact I have been working on cleaning out my closet for the last couple of hours. I am pretty organized but when you start looking at it, you tend to wear the same things over and over with the rest collecting dust. Half of it is now in the donation pile.

Moved on to the next room and plan to tackle those other closets next. Nice thing is I burned an extra 200 calories by getting rid of some of this stuff. Usually we wait until Spring to start cleaning out the closets and sorting through items for Goodwill, but good to get ahead of it particularly with the holidays coming up.

more to come....
Old 10-13-2008, 01:45 AM   #285  

S/C/G: 242/245/150

Height: 5'8"

I just ordered one! So excited. Sounds like just what I need. I know it sounds silly but the thought that I am doing well could totally keep me from making a bad choice.
Closed Thread