Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #256  

S/C/G: 226/185/155

Height: 5.5'

Default Fifth day wearing it

1. I'm just collecting calorie expenditure data.
2. It seems accurate within "range" - on high activity days the calories are much higher than on average days.
3. The calories per minute are based on the average of calories/time for a reset activity event (press reset button for 3 seconds).

Next week, when I have more control of calories (versus some dates and camping) in, I'll start inputting food intake to the log. Then I'll be able to see if the calorie deficit matches the weight loss.

So far I like the data I'm getting. I don't pay attention to steps. I have 5 pedometers of various levels of accuracy/expense and NONE of them are accurate as I've actually counted steps and known they were far off (worn all of them at the same time). I'm an engineer and like data. I think the 10,000 steps is just as arbitrary goal as 8 glasses of water a day. Just something for people to aim for. In order to get 10,000 a day you HAVE to do intentional exercise. (or have a long day of hiking with the kids like I did last weekend )

I'm excited to see what is going to happen as I start to track calories.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #257  

Does anyone know anything about the fitbit? It is advertised at $99 and the website for logging is free. According to their website it is due out in January. Any thoughts?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #258  

S/C/G: 215.9/145.2/130

Height: 5'2''

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy85 View Post
Does anyone know anything about the fitbit? It is advertised at $99 and the website for logging is free. According to their website it is due out in January. Any thoughts?
Based on the info available right now, the FitBit is an accelerometer, just like the device found in a Nintendo Wii remote. It's essentially a more accurate way to detect motion.

In my opinion, it sounds like a more precise, but also more expensive, pedometer. It lacks some of the sensors that the SW and BB have, so you're not going to get the most accurate results. Also, you're going to get more "average" readouts as far as calories burned, etc. Much like if you typed in "ran for 30 minutes" on a website to see how many calories you burned. For instance, the 3 additional sensors that the SW has: skin temp, heat flux, and galvanic skin response- play a huge role in giving you the most accurate calorie output results. At least at this time- I can't wait to see what's available a few years from now!

Anyways, if you don't want to fork over the cash for a BB or SW, then the FitBit seems like a nice alternative. I love using the Wii Fit, which utilizes the remote for certain activities, so I'm not anti-accelerometer. But, if you're looking for the most reliable data, I wouldn't go with a FitBit.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #259  
Justin

S/C/G: 166/140/132

Height: 5' 7"

if you guys are expecting to lose the precise amount of weight every week like the bugg tells you..it ain't gonna happen.

so just keep that in mind. weight is affected by wayy too many factors to be used as a reliable indicator of FAT LOSS.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #260  

S/C/G: 215.9/145.2/130

Height: 5'2''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnguy85 View Post
if you guys are expecting to lose the precise amount of weight every week like the bugg tells you..it ain't gonna happen.

so just keep that in mind. weight is affected by wayy too many factors to be used as a reliable indicator of FAT LOSS.
I definitely agree with you on this one- and, as a woman, I agree even more.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #261  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeforej View Post
I definitely agree with you on this one- and, as a woman, I agree even more.
Yup, it is all just estimates. But if I see that I'm supposed to lose 5 pounds and I lose 1 and my percent body fat doesn't also go down? I'd think there is an issue.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #262  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/135

Height: 4'10"

Thumbs up Finishing up the 4th day

I love the sensewear armband and software. I have hit my 10,000 steps each day but only with working out on the elliptical for an hour.

I am not sure how precise the calorie burn is, but as long as it is consistently measuring it using the same method ...which it should.. then I should be able to see some results. I just want to be able to manage my expectations.

I don't expect to have the weight loss that the website would indicate given the calorie deficit, but if I lose one pound this week I will be doing cartwheels. Weight loss is particularly difficult for my very short frame, and I will be more than happy with small steps as long as their is progress.

The best part about this is the accountability. I am possessed about uploading my armband and logging in my foods. I am fortunate that I can do this at work because we can download programs on our computers. So this helps keep me on track by doing it all day to find out where I stand.

I was in an all day meeting for the last two days which is a metabolism crusher. The good news is that I walked right past the cookies at the afternoon break because I knew I only could consume 300 or so calories for dinner. Now I am not new to calorie counting, but this seems so much more visible to me for some reason.

I will have to say that I have had issues with both the wireless receiver and uploading with the USB. The wireless receiver worked well the first day - no need to take off the armband to upload. But now it can't find the device. Haven't resolved that.

The other issue is that on my business trip earlier this week, I tried uploading the armband with a usb cable to my work laptop before going to bed and the armband died. No lights, no sound, nothing. However, the customer service group called me the next morning when I left an urgent email.

The help documents are not that helpful except for simple problems. The armband was acting like the battery was dead although I knew it wasn't having only worn it for 24 hours.

Write this down: If your armband is unresponsive even after pressing the status button, hold down the status button continuously for 10 seconds and release. This will "reboot" the armband, and it should come back up.

You may have to do this when the battery gets too low to recharge. Or like in my situation something interfered with the device and it shut down. If I had known that I could have rebooted, it would have saved me 12 hours of worrying if I had killed it or not. The good news is that all of the information was retained in the armband up until the moment it went down. At the next upload, everything was updated, and the website prompted me to enter the activities for the time it missed.

More to come ....
Old 10-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #263  

Default remaining synced to digital display

I seem to lose sync several times a day with my SW. Does anyone else experience this?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #264  

My armband needs to be synced several times a day as well.... I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but I just press on the button right through my sweater and it starts the display again. I'm liking my sensewear and my only disappointment is that the display doesn't show the correct calories burned per minute (the uploaded data shows up correctly) .. i usually have to reset trip to see what i'm burning per minute now.

I do have a question... how do you upload data wirelessly do you need to purchase a wireless device?? because mine won't upload unless i plug in the cable.

thanks, Jenn

Last edited by zeka; 10-08-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #265  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingoninlife View Post
I seem to lose sync several times a day with my SW. Does anyone else experience this?
Yes it happened to me a lot and I was getting frustrated. So for now I've stopped wearing the display. Not to mention I had to push the button on the armband few times some times just to get it synced.

Last edited by pintobean; 10-09-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #266  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/135

Height: 4'10"

Default Wireless updating

Updating wirelessly requires an additional device that you hook up to your computer with a usb cable. It is an additional part that you can order from bodymedia.

If you really want to update multiple times a day, then it is easier because you just press the button on your armband when you are within a few feet of your computer, and you never take off your armband.

However, if you are only going to upload once or twice a day, just stick with doing it via the cable and save the money (I think it was $99).

I have my wireless working again, but it can be problematic. I do love it when it is working because I don't have to take take my arm out of my long sleeve shirts to get the armband device popped out, and resynch my clip on device every time.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #267  

I'm looking to buy my wife either the BB or SW. She is a huge fan of the Biggest Loser and we always talk about how great the BB would be. It seems to me the SW has more features and also more problems. Which one do you all recommend? Should I hold out for the V3?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #268  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

definitely going to research picking one of these up!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #269  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy85 View Post
I'm looking to buy my wife either the BB or SW. She is a huge fan of the Biggest Loser and we always talk about how great the BB would be. It seems to me the SW has more features and also more problems. Which one do you all recommend? Should I hold out for the V3?
Hi, I am taking a plunge and getting the SW since it has the newer technology. The BB v3 will be the same (with the exception of the sleep monitoring that SW has). The tri-accelermonitor (spelling ? ) piece helps track movement better than the v2 of BB. That is helping address the issues with stationery exercise, i.e., less movement of the arms. From research I've gathered that the database is more comprehensive as well with SW (hence the price differential). It has taken me a while to take the plunge because I am a control freak. SW is trying to address the customer service issues. You will soon be able to order directly from their website. I like this one because it really was more for a clinical setting and dr.'s and hostitals are using them so it isnt gimicky. Just my 2 cents!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #270  

Hi, i was just reading about SenseWear, a very interesting product. There is a site called myminifly.com that explains everything about the unit, from operation to the actual web portal screen shots. The site is complete and very informative. They even have a customer support line to answer your questions, i've called and the support was excellent. They actually recommended various ways to use the technology to your advantage. I would check out the site. I've lost 40 lbs since using the armband, it's great. It's fun using the Trip meter on the display to actually see the expenditures related to a specific event. My husband burnt 2231 calories alone cutting down a tree. It's fun. We both love it and have had a great time seeing and monitoring the results.
Closed Thread