Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

OOOOoooooo - ouchee, meowee!!! Just wear those shades, and imagine yourself as just flown in from Hollywood! Who's to know the difference?

Well, been walking all week so far - did double duty yesterday (had to take a group to a local animal park, so walked for a good part of the afternoon). The numbers are continuing to drop - not only on the scale, but I lost two inches on these "thunder thighs" of mine!

Heading out to the grocery store for my weekly veggie/fruit stock up - broccoli slaw, cantaloupes, chinese cabbage, cukes, tomatoes, lettuce (starting to get some out of my garden too!), jicama (if I can find it), grapes, and whatever looks good.

Have a good 4th, and a great weekend!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #32  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Oh Meowee- my eyes watered as you described yours! Sympathetic eyes, I guess.

HarmonyBelle- your avatar looks like a picture of me! I've been tempted to get one of those beautiful lady figurines, but haven't yet. I try not to look in the mirror, and never when unclothed!

We had about 5 huge thunderstorms roll through all day yesterday- today everything's wet, cooler and beautiful, although thrown around a bit.

Last edited by ArtCat; 07-03-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #33  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Okay . . . brace yourself . . . if you gross-out easily, just skip over this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eye3.jpg (34.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

oh linda- that looks so painful. feel better

nothing exciting going on here. it's cloudy and might rain later so no pool today. i'm preparing for a full day of fun tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 182/176/135

Height: 5'4"

moewee, I hope you get some relief soon, that just looks so sore and uncomfortable.

ArtCat - the lovely little lady in my avatar is the Woman from Willendorf. She's carved from limestone, is 4 1/2" tall and about 25,000 years old. It was once believed these kind of figures were objects of worship but now there are other theories including they might have been the earliest forms of pr0n! Regardless, it looks like a lot of care and love went into her creation and she clearly shows an ideal of feminine beauty that is vastly removed from our own.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Linda! That is just so scarry! Dang...Talk about the evil eye. I hope it stops hurting soon.

I looked at the Lolcats site. Pretty cute. I especially liked the one where the kitten is sleeping in the furry dog's coat.

I am a little person who had 9lb babies. The second child got squeezed so hard that both his eyes were like that when he was born. Took a couple of weeks and many color changes before it went away.

I just had a couple of scoops of ice cream. Work was having a party and I joined in. At least I didn't have a rootbeer float. I prefer my icecream "straight up".

I think I am afraid about loosing the rest of my weight because I know that I will have to give up my little bit of this, a scoop of that, a wedge of something....if I want to keep the weight off permanently. I am pretty happy with the amount of food I can eat to maintain my current weight- no deprivation, no excessive hunger...it's just that I am still overweight!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #37  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . . . . . and a very happy FOURTH OF JULY to all my buddies on the southern side of "the longest unguarded border in the world".

Last edited by meowee; 07-04-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Thanks, Meowee! Got a picnic with the family and various in-laws, so I'm bringing my chinese coleslaw and a fruit platter - and maybe my mint/green iced tea. Still gotta try this or taste that, but having better choices will get me through - maybe not unscathed, but at least minimizing the damages!

I am soooooo pumped - during my walk this morning, I actually jogged up the hill for a short way (about 100 feet) - and since my time was good, I added another 1/3 to 1/2 mile - and added another 100 foot jog! For this converted couch potato, that is so major!!!! I can't do too much without additional "protection" (having two large newborns stretched certain things out, creating embarrassing sneezing-and other- situations), but I am just so tickled. WooHoo!!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #39  

Happy 4th everyone!!!

Thanks Linda!!

Great job Judi!!!!

My day started with the puppy throwing up twice then I found my milk jug was leaking all in the fridge. Grrrr, I cleaned everything up and now I'm ready for a fun day Everyone have a fun and safe day.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 182/176/135

Height: 5'4"

Happy Fourth to all my American friends!
Enjoy those picnics and BBQs. Remember to fill up mostly on vegies and it'll be ok to sample the other treats.

I have a question. I've been reading Volumetrics and I was wondering if most people who have been losing on this program follow the plans in the book calorie-wise. By itself, does embracing the concept of filling up mostly on low ED foods result in weight loss? Or do most people find calorie counting necessary? I'm fine with keeping a food journal but I really really don't want the tedium of counting calories. I'm aiming for the slow & steady kind of weight loss that sticks rather than the quick & dramatic loss that doesn't.

I finally bit the bullet and stepped on the scales the other day. Was surprised to see I weigh 173.5 lbs. I thought I would be closer to 180. I have to be careful with weigh-ins. I tend to get obsessed with the number on the scales and lose sight of the real issue which is getting my body fit & healthy.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #41  
Onward and Downward

I think just following the principles would work for most people as long as you are honestly able to listen to your body and stop eating when you are full. Bottom line is that calories do count no matter what kind of plan you are following; it's just not always imperative to track them carefully.

Having said that of course, as I know I've mentioned around here before, I count everything because I'm diabetic and want to make sure I keep my nutrients balanced as much as possible. Also, I'm the type that needs to journal my food or it's as though I never ate it.

Jut don't lose sight of the fact that the number on the scale is only one little part of the picture -- how you feel and how your clothes fit are much more important.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #42  
Quit Smoking July 26, 07

S/C/G: 166/166/135

Height: 5ft 6in

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to take the plunge.
I'm 65 years old, and am 5ft 6in tall. I quit smoking a few years ago and gained a lot of weight, (about 30 lbs). I joined WW to try to get it off, and even though I did everything they said to do, I couldn't lose. So I went back to smoking. Then I lost pretty easily and made lifetime. I stayed at lifetime for about 4 years, and then I decided to quit smoking again.
So I quit in July of 2007 and once again gained 30+lbs.
I went off maintenance and started being pretty strict on the core plan a month ago. The weight will not budge.
I own both Volumetrics books, and understand the general idea. It sounds really grand to me, but there is no way I'm going to log my foods or count calories for the rest of my life.
I realize that may work for other people, and I applaud them, but that to me sounds to much like a diet.
So I'm going to try to combine core with volumetrics and see how that works for me. I'll still track my 35 WPA weekly.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #43  
Onward and Downward

CRUNCHY . . . glad to have you with us . . . and so very glad you quit smoking again. I used to be a very heavy smoker (25 to 35 a day) and the best thing I ever did for my self was to quit -- October 26, 1986. Believe me, it does get easier. I think you'll find that Volumetrics will fit in very well with WW core and you can eat lots of low carb, low calorie, low point veggies and soups to fill yourself up.

An a great good morning to everybody else, too, . . . We are having another glorious day of sunny and warm (but not muggy) weather. Hope yours is good too.

This may sound strange coming from a Canuk, but I had a great 4th. I live in a tourist town and it is our annual Lobster Carnival weekend and since we have so many US visitors, we put on a great display of fireworks over the harbour last night -- and nobody fell in, either.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #44  

sounds fun Linda!!!

Welcome crunchy

Yesterday turned into a fun family day. The puppy is still sleeping and recovering from all the excitement yesterday.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Crunchy, I have been on several major diets. I have alway counted calories and written down every bite of food I consumed. I was always perfecly OP, and I lost weight.

This time, at age 65, I just couldn't face any more counting and writing and dietary restriction. I also wanted this to be my last diet, and not because I died of old age .

What I have been doing is following the volumetric principles and using portion control. At first, I weighed and measured all my meat and complex carb foods, so that I would learn how much is in a portion. I am very careful about added fats and sugar. I do a lot of cooking ahead. I freeze food in portion sized containers so that something is always available to eat in the proper sized serving. As much as possible, I don't have food in the house that isn't on my plan.

Probably for the first six months, I was very strict with myself - no treats. Period. Keeping track of "extras" is hard to do if you don't write it down, but I was disciplined enough to manage this for a few months, anyway.

I haven't lost any weight lately, but I haven't gained, either. I have changed my eating habits considerably over the last year and a half. I think I have spent much more time planning, shopping, reading books, cooking etc than I would have spent if I had just counted calories and written everything down. Amazing the lengths I'll go to avoid something! Anyway, I have learned a lot.

I have done the quitting smoking thing just like you. Wreaks havoc with the old metabolism. I think I have finally quit for good. It has been 14 years this time.

Last edited by gailr42; 07-05-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread