Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Hello all!
soooo sorry I've been MIA.. soo much on my plate right now I feel like I can hardly breathe sometimes. But I'm hanging in there Still applying what I've read in Beck so far, I actually had some quiet time tonight and finished reading the whole book, such good information! So I haven't gone on to any more days but just trying to keep up with what I've covered so far. My eating hasn't been wonderful. I am a classic stress eater but I'm working on it
anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say hey. I promise once things settle down I'll be back here regularly
Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #92  

Hi all-
Another sunny day around here-lots of playdates and swimming and fun going on. I went on a cleaning craze yesterday in my house-I love it when I get like that. It all helps me with the frame of mind that keeps me "on" with Beck. I am about to journal again but I ate some unplanned food again tonight. I think that I am feeling a sense of "maybe I cannot do the whole thing"-like can I really lose as much weight as I already have plus MORE? I do better when I don't focus on the number but on my behaviors.... when I was first in the zone with Beck, I read the book while I ate breakfast-I am putting my book there now so I can get into that habit again. Fighting that blasted autopilot mode I tend to get into...
BillBlueEyes: Love the sound of all that fresh produce you and dw are partaking in-must get to a farmer's market asap...
Erika: I don't know the body for life program but it sounds like you have a good solution to the free day issue-very Becklike! A playdate is definitely in order!! I am in my car now-meet ya in Minneapolis on Wednesday...seriously though if only...
Angelmomma: I would say to do whatever feels right and realistic for you to do. Beck does say that the first 14 days are the most important so maybe keeping that in mind while reading and then see if you can implement one or two things on your trip??? The eating plan officially begins after that 14 days of "boot camp". have a wonderful trip!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 242/245/150

Height: 5'8"

I think I found this group at the right time. I am starting Body for Life tomorrow and my biggest issue is in my head. Is there only one book on this theory? Need to go to the book store tomorrow!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #94  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome grneyegrl

grneyegrl

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, since you didn't seem to get this when you joined 3 months ago,

How did you find out about The Beck Diet Solution and how did you find this forum on 3FC?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #95  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches – A bit of angst and stress just thinking about the coming week at work. Great news is that I didn't use food as I have in the past. I took a walk at one point to reduce the stress. CREDIT moi.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Neat that you've identified the Sabotaging Thought "maybe I cannot do the whole thing", as well as your response to focus on behavior as well. (By-the-by, Congrats on the 47 pounds lost to date. That is worthy of note.) Do keep telling us about your summer - sounds so refreshing.

Erika (eusebius) – Great image there of a movie "where popcorn abounded." That's what the theater feels like to me when I'm surrounded by buckets and buckets and buckets. I agree that the Seven Question Technique is a killer tool, but, alas, I've only used it once to create a Response Card for my draw to FREE food. It did help there, so you'd think I'd have used it again. That one might be helped with a one-on-one coach. Or it might be helped with Just Do It, LOL.

Standing on ones head probably does burn a bunch of calories; standing letters on their heads - less so, LOL.

spryng - I'm a big time stress eater - used to buy two candy bars from the vending machine just to save time when under the gun to get a presentation ready, LOL. Neat to read the whole book first to get perspective. I did that to identify the potholes that would keep me from doing the program. Getting a diet coach and planning meals in advance were my big two. I solved the diet coach by using the good guys in this forum, and I solved the planning by just doing it.

angelmomma210 - Ouch for a spinning head. You've got a good point, Program day 8: Create Time and Energy, needs to be done in your home environment. You'll be getting a good shot at it by creating time to read the book during your vacation, or by taking time for short walks. Sounds like a busy week coming up getting ready for your vacation.

grneyegrl - Yep, the book is The Beck Diet Solution by Dr. Judith Beck. It should be in most book stores, or it's available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking here. You've got a head start for doing Beck to be aware that the biggest issues are in the head.

Readers – "… But when the going gets tough you abandoned these changes because you didn’t know how to talk back to such sabotaging thoughts as:

• I don’t want to hurt her feelings, so I’ll eat what she made. …" Beck, pg 23.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #96  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

monday all,

it's been a rough one ALREADY. ds woke up happily enough, but the moment i got him out of his crib, he started screaming - and kept screaming for almost 45 minutes. wouldn't be held or comforted, didn't want to nurse, just walking around wailing and crying. we tried baby orajel, tylenol, nothing seemed to help. then, all of a sudden, it stopped, and he was back to his usual cheerful self. AAARGH! to all the veteran parents, WTF??? this is the third time in 4 months this has happened. does it get better when they can talk enough to tell you what's wrong?

had a weekend of more eating plan success than previously. amazing how much more successful i am when i've got a plan to follow. kidding, in fact. there's nothing amazing about it. right now i'm working on tuning out the sabotaging thought "i can't stay on plan every day for the rest of my life" and just think about staying on plan TODAY. i passed on some high calorie, non-nutritious junk at the baseball game saturday night, and am still feeling a little loss about not eating a whole soft pretzel, and then foregoing the cheese on a chicken cheesesteak as a healthier option than the pretzel. later, i didn't have any sweets when the idea came up. so today, still feeling this nagging "I WANT IT!" but not having it. instead, i'll go back to yoga, do my speed run in preparation for the next 1/2 marathon, and enjoy the fact that i've again dropped 3 of the 5 screwing-around-pounds i've been playing with for the last three months. who knows? maybe this is the last time i'll see those pounds. that would be nice. i'd be delighted to have a lower set of pounds to bounce around for a while. it'll take me a really long time to get to goal at this pace, but what the heck. it's not like i don't have the time.

heidi, i have to apologize for not answering your earlier questions about the monitor. someone else PMed me with questions and somewhere in my confused head i thought i'd answered you already! i might post something more general - i get a lot of questions about it. so, there are two companies that i know of that sell them: sensewear (also called body media) and bodybugg. it's exactly the same technology, but sensewear is the group that developed it. they've already released the 3rd version - bodybugg is releasing theirs in the fall. it's smaller and lighter - less noticeable under clothes. this was important to me when i first started wearing it, but i don't really care anymore. if people notice it and ask what it's for, i just tell them it's a calorie monitor, and usually they want to know where to get one too. they only notice it though when i'm wearing short sleeves and you can actually see it. otherwise, it's hard to tell i've got it on.

it's wonderful, fabulous, really does what heartrate monitors or pedometers try to do, but not as well. i'm 100% accountable when it comes to movement and exercise, and it shows in how i've changed my thinking. i don't even think NO CHOICE about working out (most of the time, anyway.) it's gotten a lot more like teeth brushing. it's like letting the air out of the tires in terms of internal dialogue - it's just part of my day. it's also made me a lot more aware of how much sleep i am or am not getting, and i'm a lot more conscientious about getting to bed earlier. still have to work on being overscheduled to make that more automatic, but it's step #2 in the process.

the website has also been a really good tool for meal planning and logging. if i do my meal planning carefully and realistically, when it's time to log my meal, i just click a single button ("I ate my meal plan") and i'm done. so now i'm working on making it possible to just click that button more often.

the monitor was expensive, but it's the first thing to really make a difference (over the course of months) in getting me accountable. it's also made it easier to figure out how much i should realistically be eating. before, i tried a couple of diets that made me miserable, simply because most calculators grossly underestimate my metabolic rate. i wouldn't have known that without my monitor. when i was on the 6 week body makeover, i was ravenously hungry almost 24-7. the support person i IM'd told me it was because i had stretched out my stomach through overeating, wasn't drinking enough water, hadn't given it enough time, yada yada yada. i gave up on that (and three or four other perfectly good plans) because i wasn't getting enough food and it was too hard to be hungry all the time. i'm still trying to figure out what the right amount is to eat and still lose weight, but it's 100 times easier now i know more about my body.

off to yoga - sorry everyone i didn't have time to respond personally to because i ended up writing this novella!

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 07-14-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #97  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Question Newbie to Beck and 3FC

Hi, I am a newbie to both 3FC and Beck. I am on day 7, and have not yet found a diet coach (day 5). My starting weight (last week) was 215 and I am now at 209. Goal is about 145, long term, but 194 for short term.

Any of you experieced folks with speciric suggestions for how to use 3FC to help with Beck plan? I am still wandering around the 3FC site.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #98  

I'm also new to Beck, today is my first day. I hope you will let me join you. I've read all the posts from the beginning of the month and have learned a lot. I have been stuck going back and forth between 155 and 160 for a long time - mainly because my heart hasn't been in it. My husband was very ill for several years and all my energies went to working part time and caring for him. He passed away May 4 and now I need to get back on track so that I stay healthy and energetic. I'm 66 years old but feel like 40. I work out at Curves 3-4 times a week. Just need to get the eating part back under control. I need to lose 19 pounds to get to my (and my doctor's) goal.

Shrinkin, if you want to join me, we can be each other's coach. Just send a PM if you haven't found someone.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #99  
Believe in Change

Default Cant do a PM yet

Hi QuilterinVA,
Great! We can help each other.

3FC wont let me send PM until I have 10 posts. That should not take long!

Other choice would be for us to start a new thread of beginning Beckies.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #100  

I like this thread because we can get a lot of help and encouragement from those who have done this already. If you want to start a new thread, that is fine, too. I just want a buddy.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #101  
Believe in Change

Default Happy to have a buddy!

Thanks, QuilterinVA,
I agree with having the more experienced around us. I will keep posting here and eventually will have PM approval!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Hello! Welcome newbies, nice to see some new "faces" around here! Its a great thread!
Well, my weekend went overly well...I exercised, planned and unplanned, I had decided to give myself Saturday a day off from exercising because I went everyday last week....and at about 8pm I ended up going for a real nice jog! Credit Moi! So we get to today...it is humid, rainy, and all around gross out. I was going to go for a walk this afternoon, but I figured since I was scheduled to play golf I would wait to walk then, plus its way better exercise, so here it is pouring raining now, no golf, no walk, but I figure hey its okay to take ONE day off...too much exercise really can just ware your body out. BUT about the rain, all I want to do is EAT!! and not good food either, I went to the grocery store and bought a "balanced healthy" pizza... but it just didn't cut what I'm craving...I think I want Peanut Butter...and lots of it lol and maybe some chocolate! lol BUT NO CHOICE!!!! So now I am spending the remainder of my rainy gross day trying to do other things than think about food! I'll be okay!! lol
Also, today I needed to capris, none of my usual stores had no nice ones that I was looking for, so I went to "smart set" a store whose clothes fit but their pants are too tight!! But benifit of the doubt I tried them on today....THEY FIT!!! They are a little snug but nothing 3-5 more pounds of losing won't help,and they were on sale and THEY FIT!!! So I bought them!!
Happy Monday Everyone, here is to another excellent week!!
Cheers!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

okay so I felt guilty.....and I went for a 35 minute brisk walk, believe me I had to push myself to finish but I did it! Credit Moi, I know I deserve it today! Plus due to my exercising I am no longer craving everything and anything!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #104  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Alright, Im back!

Let's just say I fell off the wagon, rolled around in the mud, lost the trail and have been wondering around for quite a few weeks!!

I started back on my diet today.
Tomorrow I get my Beck back out, and get to work.
Tomorrow I start back to reading my cards.

I know what I need to do, and how to do it.

So how do you tell yourself, that you really cant have any more sugar, white flour, or high starch veggies. Pretty much for the rest of my life in order to keep myself under control.

Ive been fighting this for 11 years. I have been successful often, but maintaining was extremely difficult......because I always went back to the "good stuff".

I really cant have that stuff!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #105  

Hi there everyone,
Welcome to the newcomers-we got a gaggle of you this week! Feel free to pair up but most of us just use the whole group as our collective diet coach. We all just want people to do what is best for them. Let us know what you need from the group!

Kuhljeanie: thanks for the lowdown on the monitor. It sounds like magic. I will be asking my doctor if they have one that I could borrow. I did a quick looksee on the site and it sounds like that is one way that people use them. To KNOW your own metabolic rate..wow. And to know for sure how much sleep you are getting-double wow. You have the whole REAL picture-no fudging there!!! Wish it weren't so spendy... so glad that it helps you so much.

About the child and your "WTF" question -yes it gets so much easier when they can communicate!!! I had to laugh when I read your scenerio!!!

Sabotaging thought for the day: I ate unplanned food yesterday and I don't feel THAT bad...what is one more day?
REsponse: Even if I have a gazillion days of unplanned eating, it is worth getting back to what I want to do for myself asap-not even the next day-right now!

Sabotaging thought #2: I cannot decide what I should do right now (a chore, take a walk, paint my kitchen, check my email...)..so I will just eat-it makes me feel like I am doing something (isn't that something else? I really think that I feel that somehow I am DOING something....and that is better than doing nothing).
Response: Doing nothing is better...whatever I decide to do-get over any guilt about what I am not doing and enjoy what I can from this very moment-even if I am scrubbing the toilet!

Can you tell that I am needing some structure? The journaling in the morning and night really helps with that and I do have a lot of stuff planned but still-I crave the downtime and often don't know what to do with myself when I get it!

Happy Monday to all...
Closed Thread