Old 06-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/160/130

Height: 5'7

Default Coffee

Do you think coffee, or caffeine in general, screws up your dieting and makes you gain weight? I think this may be a key for me right now. Im thinking that if I maybe cut out coffee (Usualy have 2 cups drip coffee, and then one or two 16-oz nonfat lattes per day ) that I may actually start losing weight!! And Ive always thought that coffee is what should help me lose weight. But nothing else seems to work. Hrmm.
EasterBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

In and of itself, coffee should not have an impact on your efforts; at least I don't think so. What are you putting in it?
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #3  
Meg

We're all different and it never hurts to experiment! But I know that personally, a whole pot (yes, I'm addicted )of coffee every day never stalled my weight loss or affected me keeping the weight off for six years now. Heavens, I can't imagine life without coffee!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I cut out all cream and sugar and started to teach myself to like it black. I save 150 calories a day doing that =)
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #5  

well, with my lattes its always nonfat milk and then armaretto syrup (not sugar free)...ive weaned down to these from those horrific mochas. So i imagine the lattes aren't so bad. Coffee in the morning is just w/regular creamer. And the reason I say I feel coffee may be ruining my diet is cause of the crash (which I think leads me to binge), and just the addicitve qualities in general, which I personally feel addictive behaviors can lead to over eating. So I dont know, its true everyones different, and I think this might help me so why not!
Old 06-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

OMG I LOVE white chocolate Mochas! When I realized I was getting 500 calories every time...it was killing me and my budget at almost 5 dollars a cup! I drink it black now and I have to say, two things...1. I never EVER thought I'd see the day I could do it. My coffee was always a light beige after cream and sugar...and 2. I after almost 3 weeks I am actually starting to like it =)

Last edited by Iianae; 06-07-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #7  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

oh man I love fraps and mochachino's but they're so fatty

there's a lot you can do though with coffee and sugar free syrups (btw i don't think the coffee affects weightloss)
Anyway I'm on a lacto-vegan diet, so sometimes I make these mochachino's and they come out realllly good.
You just need:
Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder & your type of sugar or sweetener (I usually use about 2 -3 packets of sweet n low) - about 2 teaspoons
[[instead of the cocoa powder n sweetener, u can use Walden Farm's 0 calorie chocolate syrup]]
Coffee powder - about 1 1/2 tablespoons
8 oz of milk
1 cup of ice

Blend it all together and enjoy! It's soo good and there's no fat.
You could also try a lil low-fat Cool Whip over it but I just drink it plain~

Last edited by Starrynight; 06-07-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I love black coffee, and always thought it was fine - while not exactly "healthy," I figured it was calorie-free and OK for me.

However, I make my coffee in a French press, and have been reading more and more studies that say that coffee made in press retains more of the coffee oils (which make it taste good!) but which also can cause cholesterol levels to rise.

Sad news for me, but I thought I would pass it along for those who are interested.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I love coffee. I try to have it just a few times a week, because the caffeine can mess with my blood sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight View Post
Anyway I'm on a lacto-vegan diet
You mean lacto-vegetarian (a vegetarian who does not eat eggs, or any animals such as chickens, cows, fish etc. but uses milk and milk products), right?

What kind of plan is it?
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Could not live without coffee with non fat milk added. I never noticed that it made losing weight more difficult. In fact, I often have a cup of coffee to distract myself from eating.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

What Jay said. I looooove my coffee - and I can't imagine not having it. Every once in a while I put cream (well, half and half) in my coffee, but I do actually like it black. Hasn't hurt me so far.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #12  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
In fact, I often have a cup of coffee to distract myself from eating.

Me too. Usually around 3 in the afternoon when Im looking for something snacky....thats usually when I'll have a cup of coffee.

I used to be like Meg, and drink it by the pots full. But we switched to a coffee press, and I guess you could say my coffee is quite decadant. I love my coffee with a couple shakes of cardamom, sugar free caramel and only half and half will do.

I try to keep it to 3 of these a day. I get the rest of my caffeine from green tea.

....to answer your question, no it hasnt hurt in fact its helped.

Last edited by RobinW; 06-07-2008 at 09:12 PM.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Coffee itself does not hinder weight loss, but the two nonfat lattes with syrup might be putting you just above where you need, calorie wise, for weight loss. A nonfat latte WITHOUT syrup, can be anywhere from 80-150 calories each, depending on the size that you get. Add in syrup, and there is more calories.

You are going to have to either cut out the latte, and drink black coffee, or black with sweetener, or you are going to have to figure in the lattes into your calorie count for the day.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

Coffee will not hinder weight loss, but caffeine in any form is not necessarily good for you. That said, if you need your coffee in the morning, I don't think you should be too concerned. As others have said, the big hindrance to dieting is what you put in the coffee. Especially if you go to somewhere like Starbucks where one drink can end up being half of your calorie allowance.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #15  

ya okay i like what everyones saying. i loooove my morning coffee. dont think i shall ever give that up. And i bet it'd wake me even more up if i drank it straight black! Im gonna have to wean myself into that hmm it sucks that im starting this fat smash diet tomorrow, and there is no coffee allowed for the first 9 days!! what ever am I going to do.