3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/143194-beck-diet-solution-%96-june-2008-%96-group-support-discussion-diet-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 06-06-2008 09:36 PM

The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

Welcome to The Beck DIET solution discussion group, support group, diet coach group relating to the book by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.
The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).

There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if we learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet coach to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The book, The Beck Diet Solution, is available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking here.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

The Beck Diet Solution – May 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – April 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – March 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution - November 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - October 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - September 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - May/June 2007

RobinW 06-06-2008 09:54 PM

Thanks for getting us back on track Bill!

BillBlueEyes 06-06-2008 10:17 PM

We're Back, But Not All Of The Posts Are

All 3FC posts for the last 15 days are lost. This June thread is started today to begin anew after the lost posts.

Here's the story as posted by Meg:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg (Post 2214138)
If you tried to check in today, you saw that the server was down. It crashed at 1:40 am. When Suzanne 3FC tried to restore it from the backup, she discovered that the daily backup was corrupted and unusable. Unfortunately, last night was the night when the weekly backup ran too, so its database was also corrupted and unusable. :yikes:

So we're back, restored to May 22, the date of the last monthly backup. Everything posted since then is lost, I'm sorry to say. :(

Feel free to repost any threads, questions, comments, or discussions!

Read more here: Post or Account Missing?

And this is what is in the Global Announcement, Post or Account Missing?, by Suzanne 3FC in the link above:
Quote:

The bad news: We had a major server crash at 1:40am June 6. All 2 million posts were gone We tried everything possible to recover them, but it was impossible. The nightly backup had copied the corrupted database, so we had to resort to restoring with the most recent stable copy which was done on May 23.

The good news: We were able to recover everything through May 23

Unfortunately, this means that posts, profile changes, and new memberships made in the last 2 weeks are gone and they are gone forever.

We are extremely sorry that this has happened, but we are very relieved that we were able to save nearly 10 years worth of posts and memberships.

Hopefully we can look at this as a fresh start! Thanks for understanding, we greatly appreciate your support
Kudos to Suzanne 3FC for getting us back up and running.

elkfordian 06-07-2008 03:14 AM

I hope the "3 fatchicks" know how much we appreciate this wonderful site. It still amazes me that people from all over the planet can communicate here.

I did a little research on the plan OnebyOne wrote about " Carb Curfew ". Basically you eat no carbs after 5 pm. Please correct if I'm wrong but I believe you can still have fruit/vegetable as snacks. I think I'm going to add that idea into my food plan.

I saw my dietician again today. She said it may take some tweaking before I find a plan that works for me. The card plan didn't work out too well. It is really hard for me to plan detailed meals. For now she wants me to eat 3 meals a day with 1 evening snack. Why is this so hard for us??

I had lunch at the pub today with the girls. It was very difficult to keep track of different conversations at once. I finally had to leave. Too many things happening at once make me anxious. I had ordered fish and salad. I took it home and it was lunch and supper.

Camping was such a sanctuary ... no need to pretend to be ok. Anyways enough about me. How is everyone doing?? I do miss my computer when I'm away. One day at a time...

yoyoma 06-07-2008 03:30 AM

Wow, elkfordian, you have so much to congratulate yourself on -- kudos for working with a dietician to find a healthy way to lose weight and investigating a new "carb curfew" technique. And great food choices at a pub -- too bad you couldn't enjoy it there, but you turned it into two meals!

I also get overwhelmed in some situations. I'm glad you could make it out to the pub for a bit.

I haven't made much progress on the Beck daily exercises, but I have been staying OP food wise.

But, thanks to Beck, I am trying to plan for a low-calorie Father's Day get-together. The default get-together involves hanging out for hours with an infinite supply of cheeze puffs and KFC. I am going to advocate we all go to Appleby's, which has diet-friendly selections.

BillBlueEyes 06-07-2008 05:48 AM

Welcome Clancy

:welcome: Clancy :welcome:

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined more than a year ago, :wel3fc:

Your intro post was lost in the crash. Would you mind reposting it?

BillBlueEyes 06-07-2008 06:03 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches – Still need to work on leaving food at a restaurant. Ate at a Mexican restaurant and didn't like the tamales - too dry and the pork was in chunks rather than shredded with its juices saturating the corn meal. Yet I ate most of it anyway. Oh Well. Note to self: Just Leave It On the Plate.

Robin (RobinW) - LOL, you slipped in your post while I was creating the initial pair. You're welcome.

Lori (elkfordian) - Thanks for the reminder that it's possible to burden a person who has a health issue with the extra load of making us feel OK about it. Kudos for making a wise choice at the pub. Ouch that could only stay for part of the time.

yoyoma - Kudos for planning a sane Father's Day celebration. LOL that your post reminds me that our goal is to transition from KFC to 3FC.

Clancy - Hope you find us again.

Readers [Due to the system crash, the quotes from the Beck Introduction will be repeated for two weeks. ]

"I now know:

• I have to prepare in advance for sabotaging thoughts." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

RobinW 06-07-2008 11:21 AM

Good Morning :)

Bill~ you could always ask for a take-away box right away, and put 1/2 of your meal in that box?

I got over my very bad day last thursday. I didnt wallow in wine and marshmallows. I went to the market bought what I needed to make my chicken veggie soup. Then came home and made it. By the time I was done, it was close to 9pm...so I just toddled off to bed. Hoped that the next day would be better.

It was. :) I did my workout with my PT friday morning, and came away from there feeling much better.

Im off from the shop this weekend, hubby is going in to hold down the fort. Im not sure what I am going to do today....a bit of laundry, a bit of gardening, maybe even a bit of shopping. Regardless Im going to make sure I get out and enjoy the glorious sunshine :sunny:

Have a great day everyone!

BillBlueEyes 06-08-2008 05:50 AM

Sunday

Diet Coaches – Man's worst fear realized: A few days ago I had pondered that I could buy one of those complete closet organizers as a motivator for dealing with my unwieldy closet jammed with some-of-them-wearable clothes. I could - somewhere off in the distant future. Then yesterday POW. I opened my closet to get a shirt and found the 5 foot bar splintered and all my clothes wadded on the floor. Yipes. Visions of never being able to recover. I'm too young to face my closet problem.

The good news: Home Depot sold me a pine bar (I sorted through the bin long enough to find a straight one). Cut it to the exact length. Installed it. Carefully lifted the hangers from the floor to the new bar in minutes. All fixed without addressing which clothes were keepers. Good recovery of the immediate problem even while I avoided the real problem. CREDIT moi.

Except for the neck ties. I own waaaaaaaaaay too many - more than 200. Apparently I'm not prone to parting with them even after I abandon them. Found a motley collection from super narrow to '60's wide. From silk to hand woven out of hand spun wool. They weren't rehung, but are carefully bundled into a large cardboard box to be sorted. Just transferred the problem, but the bundling them makes it possible for me to solve it. How many neck ties does a man need to own?

Robin (RobinW) - Yea for chicken veggie soup. Kudos for your workout and Kudos for getting past a very bad day. Thanks for the reminder about using a "take-away box" immediately. Funny observation: when the food isn't to my liking, I'm driven to keep eating it to get the satisfaction I want. When the food is tasty, my head is available to think about saving half. Another argument for only eating food that I really want.

Readers – "I now know:

• I need to sit down and eat slowly and notice every bite – every time I eat." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

yoyoma 06-08-2008 06:17 AM

Robin -- Wow -- chicken soup therapy for a bad day... what a super way to cope! Heck, it's great to have even for good days!

Bill -- Kudos to you for dealing with your closet emergency so adeptly -- and for recognizing that your solution is only a short-term patch! You might be interested in the book, "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" I have to admit I haven't read it yet, but I've had my eye on it. At this point, I think my reading it would be preaching to the choir, as one of the reasons I am busy is that I am desperately offloading carloads of stuff to consignment stores and charities.

Almost forgot to mention -- my plan for Applebee's is a "Go" and I've even already picked out my entree :) .

RobinW 06-08-2008 10:21 AM

That is an interesting observation about restaurant food Bill. Funny things we have going on in our heads when we are faced with these things eh?! Terrible food in a restaurant I have no issue leaving, but then eat stuff Im not suppose to when I get home because I didnt like my dinner. Food I like alot in a restaurant, I have an extremely difficult time leaving for the take-away box. I want to gobble it all up.

Quote:

chicken soup therapy for a bad day
thats a pretty cool quote yoyoma!! Not only eating it, but making it soothed the soul a bit :) Great going on prepicking your entree before getting to applebees!! Thats a great idea! I love that alot of these restaurants have their menus online and I can make good decisions before I get there. Sometimes I'll tell hubby what Im going to have, and have him order it for me. Saves me from changing my mind and having what I shouldnt.

I had a pretty good day yesterday. Bought some cherries!! They were on sale for $3.99lb (I never thought Id be excited about seeing $3.99lb as a sale price) :lol: I bought 2 lbs, washed them, and put my serving in a bowl! Rather than taking the entire bowl of cherries with me and eating them all. (which is past habits) Yah me!

Lets not talk about the can of boiled peanuts that dissappeared :(

In general tho, food wasnt too shabby yesterday.

Have a great day everyone!!

coastalsue 06-08-2008 04:32 PM

Hurray!! finally found you all again-

right now taking a short break from the Beck structure-just plain celebrating-my Bro is doing excellent!,I turned 64 yrs yesterday, having a dinner party tonight and house guests for about the next 3-4 days. Feeling I'll maintain but not go crazy overeating but have no plan to lose weight- i agree that smaller amounts of well flavored food is more satisfying than flavorless things. cooking pork loin roast with fig sauce tonight,dessert- fresh strawberries, ect-not that caloric but so good

BillBlueeyes your tie set is an official collectable collection-Bet some young folks would lust after many of them. Purging is one hard activity for me-started going thru old books-then for the heck I google the titles and found on old atlas worth $350-that worth keeping-limiting what goes in my mouth and removing what is stored in my house-both very tough for me. Guess I am prone to storing unused materials from fat cell to uncompleted projects.

elkfordian-glad camping was so relaxing-that is why we live so rural-city and hubbub are great for a very short time-then it is too hectic.

RobinW yummy cherries-summer time has the best fruit. Your business sounds so busy and at time intense-enjoys your breaks

yoyoma-agree that is is nice when you can order at a resturante and know what the cals are are- This choice shows you are making progress on the Beck exercises.

take care
sue

maryblu 06-08-2008 10:47 PM

summer tidings to my fellow Beckies

Oh, BillBE, rofl at the thought of you wrestling with 200 squirming neckties...probably due to the copious number of garder snakes I encountered today while gardening...still, too funny...way funnier than my screaching every time I saw a snake.

Hi to all...am happily catching up with my old friends and continue to be so pleased with our growing legions..

Happy summer.

BillBlueEyes 06-09-2008 03:56 AM

Monday - "Wasting away"

Diet Coaches – Watched the Red Sox play the Mariners at Fenway Park with only a partially formed food plan. Red Sox won; I lost a bit. Had loosely planned to eat a Fenway Frank, an apple, and a softie ice cream for lunch. Did that. But then dug into my kids kettle corn (popcorn fired at high temperature with salt and sugar infused), as well as some of their peanuts (like, aren't you supposed to eat peanuts at a ball game?). Not way out of bounds, but I could feel that I was eating in my old mode - grazing on everything in sight. I lightened up on dinner as a step to balance the calories; that part is easy enough. But, I'm not so pleased that I'm so easily capable of falling into the place where I feel like I'm eating out of control. Oh Well.

Sue (CoastalSue) - LOL at "am prone to storing unused materials from fat cell to uncompleted projects." Happy Birthday. Turning 64 is a good omen per the lyrics of the last verse of that well known song about dieting:
Quote:

Send me a postcard, drop me a line
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?
MaryBlu - LOL at your image of my ties as snakes. Now I'll think of myself as Saint Patrick driving the snakes out of my closet. Hope all is going well for you.

Robin (RobinW) - Interesting notes about your reaction to good and terrible food at a restaurant. Kudos for serving yourself cherries rather than dipping into the full 2 pound bowl.

yoyoma - Yeah for your Father's Day plan for Applebee's. Kudos for planning your order in advance. Thanks for the book tip; it drove me to Amazon where I ordered two books on getting organized, and I put "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat" on my shopping list.

Readers – "I now know:

• If I eat something I shouldn’t, it’s just a mistake. It doesn’t mean I’m hopeless or bad. I don’t have to make it a bigger mistake by continuing to eat whatever I want for the rest of the day." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

kuhljeanie 06-09-2008 09:29 AM

morning everyone! what a weekend. i took friday off to work on the dayton house (it's in really appalling shape from 18 months of DH using it as a commercial storage site for his antenna work). saturday we had yet another wedding, got back to cincinnati very late and woke up early to the sound of DS coughing. sunday was more work (i moved a whole woodpile by myself. credit moi!) and then to the last 2 innings of a baseball game, then home to clean up the wreckage from discovering that one of our two cats is seriously pissed (both meanings) at me, or us, or something. we don't know which one, which is good for whomever it was, because DH was prepared to wring a kitty neck. had to sleep upstairs in the attic - HOT! i kept waking up. i think i was worried that i wouldn't hear DS in his slightly ill state. so now it's monday morning and i'm absolutely exhausted. i've got some baking to do tonight for a tasting on wednesday. argh. does anyone know how to get a cat to stop peeing? we have no idea why they would be mad, but it's clearly personal.

had an interesting eating experience at the wedding. i ate lightly during the day to make sure i had the calories allowance for cake and appetizers, and i did a good job of paying attention to my hunger (although i did eat standing up during the cocktail hour. i was really hungry, it was time to eat, and there was absolutely nowhere to sit.) for the first time in recent memory (or maybe for the first time since i've been good an honest about keeping a food journal) i found that i was overdid it on alcohol calories. i didn't get drunk, but since i normally don't drink at all i wasn't counting alcohol calories in with my meal. thus i ended up taking in about 600 calories extra. whoo, that's a lot! i'm not going to worry about it too much, since it's something i hardly ever do (can't honestly claim that i got fat on vodka cranberries and champagne!) but it's definitely something to stay aware of. i'm also realizing just how much my body likes to hold on to water weight. i was waay under yesterday (partly due to circumstance, partly to recover from saturday) but some of that food was sushi with soy sauce, and i was up a good 3.5 lbs this morning. wow. it's kind of a bummer because i was just starting to lose the water weight from TOM. oh well! back to the gym. with the heat and humidity i'm doing a lot of sweating. :)

nice to hear from you, maryblu! and bill, good luck with all those ties. i really believe there's a connection between overeating and keeping too much stuff in my house. i'm going to add a third leg - overspending. i find shopping and acquiring has a similar vibe to it. indefinitely postponing buying something i want but don't need (shoes, electronics, whatever) feels like strengthening my "saying no" muscle in a healthy way. sounds like robin and the cherries! wonderful! i'm always happy when cherries come back into season.

happy birthday sue! so glad to hear your brother is doing better. that's fabulous.

take care all - hoping to get some rest soon. cheers!

RobinW 06-09-2008 10:41 AM

Happy Birthday Sue!!

I have the last of the cherries with me today! Big kudos for making them last 3 days!! :cb:

Im easing into monday. There is lots going on, and a to-do list that needs to get done today. Last week I signed up for a 2 day vehicle wrap seminar that is being held in indianapolis in september. Now Im looking into learning more software this summer so that when I get there, I'll know what everyone is talking about. (bought one of the books this weekend) Several networking events this week to keep my busy on the off hours. ......does anyone have a wife for hire? I really need one!! :lol: The only wifely duties she has to perform is keeping my house in order and get supper started :lol:

Time for more coffee..........have a great day everyone!

maryblu 06-09-2008 11:36 PM

Oh, very well, then...

*sigh..........yoyoma and BillBE, you've convinced me. I really was trying to avoid Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?...read the complete review, figured I had the gist of it.....but I still have to say, as far as most of what he says goes, I resemble that remark. Very well. Must read. Packrat must read.

I had noticed this about my life before, and my incredibly shrinking shrink had said sometimes a cluttered house is the sign of a cluttered mind. I told him I have selected spots in the house that are really the way I want them, I look there and don't look at the cluttered spots hidden around. Does that sound like an avoidance trick? Useful at times, believe me. Gets bad, though, when there is nothing left to look at in the mirror, when all the spots are too fat!

The one part of my domain that is not cluttered is my garden(s). They may all be works in progress, but they are really something. ...pictures will be posted soon..things are a bit late, as you may have guessed from all my complaining about late snowfalls. Guess what I did for exercise tonight? Raked driveway gravel out of my lawn.......yep, that is the exercise gift that keeps on giving.

Happy belated bd, dear Sue, and warm greetings to all.

BillBlueEyes 06-10-2008 05:13 AM

Tuesday

Diet Coaches – Got asparagus at the Farmer's Market, it's for dinner tonight - can't wait, as well as Romaine Lettuce, salad mix, and a few cherry sized tomatoes. Feels like the good life. Super fresh veggies help me to focus on healthy eating. My view of heaven includes year-round gardens to pick my meals each day. (I feel no need to reconcile contradictions in my different views of heaven - I'm not a paid theologian, LOL.)

MaryBlu - Nice to be reminded of your passion for your gardens. Kudos for the raking exercise. My house has both visible and hidden clutter; for starters, I'm ignoring the hidden - some of it is VERY old. I do like the contradiction of buying books about having too much stuff. There are a quite a few books available about clutter - methinks we are known to be easy targets for buying new books rather than tossing the mounds that we have.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - LOL, it sounds like way-too-busy Jeanie has returned with a vengeance. Yep, for me there's definitely a connection between clutter and eating. Ouch for a coughing DS; hope he's feeling better.

Robin (RobinW) - I got lost: is a "vehicle wrap seminar" about software or is it part of the Indianapolis 500? Kudos for giving yourself credit for the cherries. I like the notion of "easing into Monday."

Readers – "I now know:

• I have to put my need first sometimes. " From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

RobinW 06-10-2008 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good Afternoon!

Bill~Ive attached a vehicle wrap. This is the stuff Im going to be learning how to do....wrapping a vehicle in vinyl graphics. Ive absolutely got to learn photoshop so I can also do the designing. Which I have been putting off every chance I get :( This is the push I needed to get some photoshop time in....I have all summer. I think Ive also found a graphic designer who has worked on wraps before and will be able to help with the desiging. Im super excited about all this. Just need to sharpen my sales skills to pay for all this :eek:

Yesterday turned out to be a pretty good day. I had leaned on our counter here at the shop, and it reset my pedometer!!!!! I checked it quite a bit later and I only had 355 steps in!?!?!? At some point I was at 4500ish....then nothin! :lol: So Ive learned to NOT lean on the counter! :lol:

All that talk about fresh tomatoes and the farmers market reminded me I need to get my veggies in the garden. Poor things are sitting on the back deck waiting for my attention.

Im having difficulties in the afternoons with sugar cravings. Quite bad too! Coffee, and diet soda isnt satisfying it.....any ideas? I upped my protein today and so far it isnt too bad.

onebyone 06-10-2008 09:51 PM

Well Hello Coaches

I'm finally feeling I have a few minutes here to sit down and post to you guys.
I've got the fan on high as the house is still boiling hot from the heat wave that broke only hours ago. The weatherman was right and my Art in the Park was superhot and humid over the weekend. We did reach the hihg nineties with the humidity factored in, all 99% of it one day and 100% the next. We didn't get the major thunder and lightning though and that was good.

Sales at the show were down. Only one of my big paintings sold and that ain't normal. It was just way too hot. People could hardly walk let alone think and shop, And this town is not used to a show like what we now have for Art in the Park. They all looked a little shell-shocked if you ask me. The heat, the humidity, the variety... too much of everything all at once. I still had a good show just not the big windfall I had hoped for. And I ended up at work yesterday morning doing the kilns. I should have been doing nothing after that week and weekend. Today I was supposed to do nothing and instead went to an art show and came home fretting about going in to the school tomorrow morning. I don't feel so good. I feel kind of nauseous. I think the heat and the everything has gotten to me. I may call in sick tomorrow. Well, I will call in sick if I continue to feel like this. Yuck.

Foodwise can't say as I've paid much attention. The carb curfew guidelines do seem to work for me. And yes elkfordian you can have fruit and veggies for snacks after 5. Just not the usual carbs: white stuff you know? My weight was falling but with this humidity it's been up at 258 all week. Seems I suck moisture out of the air as well.:mad: Phooey.

I did get out the bp meds the other day and as I was adding a pill a day to the pill a day dispenser so I don't forget to take one everyday or try to remember if I took it, I looked in the pill bottle and decided to count how many I have left. 4.5 weeks worth. There are no prescription renewals on the bottle. So I have to call the Dr. and will probably have to go in and see him and all I can think is I AM FATTER THAN WHEN I LAST SAW HIM.This, my coaches, makes me want to cry. Why can't I lose this weight? Why is it such a struggle? And of course my mind goes to the radical fish/salad diet I followed for one week where I dropped 11 pounds and I think "11 x 4 = 44lbs off by the time I see the Dr when my pills run out--just do it." And part of me says "you can't do that. You'll be sick." And another part says "You can't do that because you literally cannot do that, can't follow a plan that long, so forget it." And another part says "stay the course and work it through. You're trying to do this slow and just keep trying to do it so you get it right." I am deathly afraid the bp pills will not be shown to hold my bp down and I'll be on something more heavy duty and so the slide from good health to poor health will escalate. I am so afraid of that yet I don't seem to be afraid enough to change my habits and face my weight.

Wow. I must be tired. I am way more hopeful than this. Really I am. Hey you know what? The one plus to this heat? I have zero appetite. And that my coaches is extremely rare for me, extremely rare.

BillBlueEyes: You could sell your "vintage" ties on ebay. Sell them individually or as a "lot" of say "lot of 10 retro ties from the 60's"... go to ebay and do some research. Look up ties, do a search for the brand names of your ties. You may discover some to be very collectible. Imagine someone paying you to clean up! Imagine Oh and and the topic of fresh veggies. I'm still not eating mine. I do love the fruit though. Got some apricots, cherries and pluots (plum & apricot cross) today at the store. Had berries over the course of the show. And mangoes and lots of potassium rich bananas to help my poor body cope with the heat. Kudos moi for that AND for looking the part of an artist when I hoisted my hair into two high pigtails on the sides of my head a la grade 3 girls. I felt ridiculous and funny and quirky and cooler (temperature wise) with my hair away from me... kudos moi for letting myself seek comfort first and not worry over "how fat this might make me look" and therefore not do it. (Why I mention this in my aside to you I am not sure... kudos moi for daring to... haha!)

RobinW I've had bad sugar cravings too and I've given in to them more often than not. What I did do, which I have never done, is as I was sipping sugar free cola this afternoon I really tasted it and I thought "Yuck. I hate this stuff and I don't like the way it tastes and I don't even trust the chemicals that are in here. Why am I drinking it?" And I emptied it out on the grass. Didn't stop me from having some tonight:?: but it may be on the way out for me. Kudos moi for even asking myself the question of what do I truly like to drink and giving myself a choice.

maryblu I have struggled with clutter for my whole adult life. Grew up in a home where clean=tension and arguing and was told I never did it right and saw any work I did re-done with a "this is how you do it" added for effect. I HATE cleaning. But the only thing that can get me to do it is when I see "kitty world" get smaller and smaller. My cat lives at ground level. As the clutter grows, her world shrinks. It's just fact. DH has permission to say to me "Kitty X is much happier when her world is opened up more." This can get me to (minimally) clean up. My garden, as is yours, is clutter free too. And I continue to attack the mystery pile in the basement. 1/3 is now gone. More going this week. Yay. BIG credit moi for this.

kuhljeanie I find myself wanting to drink lately. I never drink alcohol and have recently taken to having a beer at an event like I was at last week, or a glass of wine a week, or the thing I thought was a lite beer in the fridge last night that turned out to be a vodka cooler left here by my s-i-l last year. What I am proud of is tonight a teacher at the school asked me for a special favour to have me fire work by students outside of the school. It's at my discretion and I can't see why not so I said yes and she offered me "wine, chocolates or biscuits" as a thank you. I almost said wine, really wanted to say chocolate and was going to say biscuits as I could share these with DH and then she said "or would you like a plant or flowers?" YES! So I am getting flowers of some sort which are totally unnecessary but will be thrilled to have and NOT GETTING FOOD. Credit moi on this... I would have drank the wine for sure... and I don't need a new calorie source to worry about!

coastalsue Happy Belated Birthdy to you :gift: and what a nice gift that your brother is recovering well! YAY! So happy to hear that.

yoyoma Great job on planning so far in advance for Father's Day and getting everyone on board. Awesome. Good for you for staying OP too.:carrot:

Whoa. Sorry for the essay here and thanks for reading this far if you did. Haven't been here for so long... glad to be back:goodvibes

--1x1

barbpos 06-10-2008 10:50 PM

Onebyone - I have to respond about the bp meds --first some history: I had high bp and my weight continued to yo-yo. When my bp was marginal, I had a stretch of not taking meds, even though I should have. When I was on meds, I went 8 months without seeing my doctor, instead of 4, since I was embarrassed about having gained weight back. When I saw my doctor, she increased my meds.

I started having palpitations....I ended up seeing a cardiologist and being diagnosed with atrial fibrillation...and a slightly enlarged left atrium. That was 4 months ago....at the same time as I found out about Beck. Since then, I've been totally diligent about taking my meds and I've done really well with diet and exercise. But, there is a chance that my prior behavior -- unregulated blood pressure, obesity, and inactivity -- is at least part of the cause of my AFibb. For the rest of my life, I will live knowing there is a possibility I did this to myself. I'm putting some energy into making peace with this fact, but it's one of the hardest parts of dealing with my cardiac situation.

So, my advice to you is to do what you can. Continue to work on the weight loss. But, face the reality that you need to be on meds, and you need to see your doctor as often as he/she recommends. Make sure you are on the right dose to keep your BP regulated. Expect the doctor to discuss "lifestyle changes" (i.e. weight loss and exercise) that can make a difference in heart health --- that's their job, and they wouldn't be doing it well if they didn't reinforce the information. But, if you have a doctor who isn't compassionate about weight and food struggles or who treats you as anything less than an intellegent person, then find a new doctor. But please take care of yourself.

BTW....hi everyone. I continue to lurk here some...and spend too much time on my South Beach Diet board. I'm still doing really well w/the weight loss and exercise...I've been a bit looser on some of the Beck strategies, but definitely still working with much of it. Looking forward to the break in the heat I hear we're about to have.

coastalsue 06-11-2008 03:53 AM

HI guys,

just a short note as just got my internet service back and my computor unfrozen. I so love where I live and the sense of knowing most everyone in the community but at time the lack of services-reliable internet, medical support ect. does get old. anyway we are back on line again. A big hi to all-more tomarrow. I am actually getting tired of eating on this more rich diet. I look forward to soon cutting back and recording all the food.

sue

elkfordian 06-11-2008 04:30 AM

Greetings..

Hi everyone..

OnebyOne..

I wish I could pop into your world and sip a cold one with you. Please don't be so harsh with yourself. I know you are a amazing, creative and wonderful person. Your spirit is so obvious in your posts. Perhaps you need a little down time. It is so vital to play a little. What makes you smile? I remember a post (probably from you) that said to treat yourself like you would a dear friend. How would you cheer her up? ...a hug:hug:, a teddy bear, a funny hat or just a simple moment to really hear her?? Now girlfriend take a moment and treat yourself with that same kindness.

I'm sorry I'm not well today so must sign off. Please know that your are precious and loved...as is everyone in this group. Find a smile..:D

BillBlueEyes 06-11-2008 05:04 AM

Wednesday - My Monthly Anniversary

Diet Coaches – Was hotter in Boston yesterday than the deep South. WOW. Had a golden opportunity for a walk to get some blue cheese for DW's salad using the fresh asparagus from the Farmers' Market. But wasn't ready to walk in 100+ degree heat, so rode my bike. Wasn't the same amount of exercise, but was cooler. I leave today for a two day trip; the hotel advertises free Internet connection, so I hope to stay in contact each morning. Facing six meals and snacks out of my established comfort zone. Hoping that the Beck strategies are portable.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Welcome back from the isolation of intermittent Internet services. Hope you can hang in there through your extended birthday celebration.

Barbara (barbpos) – Kudos for continuing to move forward smoothly using the Beck strategies. Thanks for sharing your bp story with your reminder that we are responsible for our choices.

onebyone – Kudos for all that good fruit. Sending encouraging thoughts for your quest to get into vegetables. Fresh herbs are now available to support yummy vegetable recipes - spinach lightly sauteed with lots of garlic is one of my favorites and fresh spinach appeared at my newly started farmers' market. Thanks for the tip to sell vintage ties on eBay. I do find it easier to get rid of extra stuff if it's going to a place where it's wanted. And BIG Kudos for choosing flowers over chocolate.

Robin (RobinW) - Thanks for the vehicle wrap picture - I had no idea. Would seem to be a good business opportunity. Would you print the vinyl and apply the wrap? Ouch for the sugar cravings; no useful suggestions here - luckily I've not had those. (Except when I put my hand in a bag of kettle corn on Sunday at the ball game and couldn't stop eating until all was gone.)

Readers – "I now know:

• It’s OK to say no to people who offer me food. " From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

My Monthly Anniversary: 33 months on my healthy lifestyle journey, 10 months on 3FC, 9 months on Beck. CREDIT moi.

kuhljeanie 06-11-2008 11:15 AM

hi everyone! ditto barb and elkfordian to onebyone. sister, you rock so hard! be gentle with yourself. i'm also keeping an eye on my blood pressure, and watching my weight go up and down and up and down, but mostly just hovering. i've been reading lyn's escape from obesity blog, and she had a wonderful entry about staying with healthy behaviors even when the scale isn't showing you any love.

http://escapefromobesity.blogspot.co...ss-stalls.html

onebyone, one more thing - weight does not necessary equal fat. weight can also be water, and water retention and some BP meds are not unrelated. are you by any chance on clonidine/catapres? just saying - your emotions are being dictated by a series of assumptions (i'm heavier, therefore fatter, therefore i'm failing and getting sicker) which may or may not be true. might be a little fairer to yourself to hold off on beating yourself up until you know what's going on. :hug:

i'm also struggling with the afternoon sugar cravings. evenings ones too, to be honest. i suspect that fatigue has a lot to do with it, since i get plenty of protein. my wonderful monitor tells me that there are many nights that i get 6 hours of sleep or less, and that's probably a big contributing factor. can't be good for the BP either! how tired are you feeling?

i'm glad for a break in the heat. still too busy - i got home last night, and between cooking dinner for the menfolk, baking a tasting cake, folding laundry, and feeding/bathing/nursing el nino and getting him down, i logged about 8,000 steps just in the evening. was so tired by 11:00 i couldn't get to sleep. got to work on that. i've started taking lunchtime yoga classes at work - hopefully i'll get better at quieting my mind when i need to. bill, good luck on your trip! beck seems imminently portable. robin, have fun with learning something new! there's pleasure in mastering something you've never played with before. i bet once you get into it, you enjoy it. mary and onebyone, for what it's worth, once you get started, clutter-clearing can be intrinsically rewarding and self-propelling. it's also helpful to figure out what's causing the piles in the first place. (dh is bad with the clutter. really bad. would be pathological but is in reality a perfect storm of bad, old habits.)

that's all for now...here's to everyone feeling some peace about being where we are (credit to my yoga instructor/goddess kim.)

RobinW 06-11-2008 11:55 AM

Good Morning :sunny:

So far today has been quite nice, easy going, but there is a boat load of work that needs to get done.

Eating isnt the greatest. I need to sit down with my book again and reread it!! My attitude isnt bad, but I need to make healthier choices. Thankyou kuhljeanie for that link! I am going to have a good read, and probably a good cry or 2 over this blog.

Quote:

Seems I suck moisture out of the air
this is an amazing phenomena!!! Im sure that is what is happening!! Please don't stress over what you think the dr is thinking. Keep at it :hug:

Bill~ I would be designing, printing and applying. We are also a small sign shop, but this will take us to the next level. It will also give me something that I think I will thoroughly enjoy. The goal is to get certified next year, get put on "the list" and be able to travel around the US and Canada doing wraps.

Didnt anyone tell you that kettle corn is just evil!?!?!? They sell it here at the festivals, and they have all the kettles, and fire pits right there. The smell permeates the air! I buy it for my daughter, and tell her she isnt allowed to share it with me :lol:

My exercise mat arrived today!! It is quite thick and made of a dense memory foam type stuff. No more excuses :D Im still seeing my pt every friday, and she emails every couple days to make sure Im behaving :lol:

Its all good!

wendylan 06-11-2008 06:36 PM

Thanks kuljeanie for the blog website,I read some of it and appreciated it.I have been just reading since the site crashed.Afraid I lost my swimming partner.Ever since we opened the pool in the yard and the weather got very warm my son does not want to go to the Y with me.He was supposed to start the swim team next week but he told me he does not want to join in the summer and lose the time with his friends.They will be having the reg swim team in the fall.Some days I can go alone if my husband is home but I have not been going.Funny thing how if I don't stay right on top of things it all falls apart and old habits fit right in.Summer is a busy time,I can get in the pool at home and do some exercises or use the bike or treadmill but I seem to be sitting here!I did walk 20 min at work at lunch and had some salad with the lettuce from my garden at lunch time.Good lunch actually,salad with lowfat jalapeno cheese and lowfat dressing,manhattan clam chowder and blueberries.Drank 64 oz water also.I need to check in more often.

hbuchwald 06-12-2008 01:56 AM

Hi there everyone,
This is a flyby..it is an INSANE time of year with report cards and certificates and classroom cleanout and having a new dog that gets Major separatiion anxiety (equates to more exercise though..he needs it and his favorite is chasing a soccer ball but not bringing it back..so I run over and kick it the opposite way across my LARGE yard..whew!). Oh yeah and I have my five year old daughter... I should be stressing out about all that needs to be done in the next week and a half but I am not. I am taking it as it comes and trying to enjoy. I am straying from my eating plan in a big way though which does NOT make me feel good. What is up with that??? Maybe that is why I am not FEELING the stress....I am stuffing it down with chocolate.

Happy Birthday Sue! And I love the talk about clutter-interesting idea about being able to see around the clutter and how it can equate to us seeing around body parts that we don't like the looks of right now-I hadn't ever thought of it like that but it rings true for me. Good to see you again Maryblu!

Must go to bed so I can look like a freak in my backyard wtih that blasted soccer ball back and forth in the early morning! This works becasue DD sleeps while we run around back there! HA! Goodnight!

elkfordian 06-12-2008 04:15 AM

The Healthy Eating Pyramid from Harvard

Hi everyone...

My dietician was so excited today. She found a great food pyramid from the Harvard Department of Nutrition. I just noticed that I am unable to post links. So do a search for Harvard Food Pyramid and it comes up.
It is simple and seems perfect for me. The pictures are very helpful. :carrot::carrot:

Lately I've been mixing up my foods. My husband asked me to get a orange for him and I brought a banana...lol :dizzy:

So my revised (again) plan is to eat using this food pyramid and no carbs after five. My lovely dietician made me little sheets just to check off my foods.

Perhaps this could be helpful for others. I will be away for a couple of weeks. I must get a laptop soon. I will try to check in.. Be well my friends..

BillBlueEyes 06-12-2008 08:16 AM

Thursday - On the road

Diet Coaches – There's an odd silver lining to the airlines' financial problems. On two flights yesterday that included diversion to a third airport for fuel rather than remain stacked up waiting for thunder storms to pass, when I would normally angst about eating the nutritionally void snacks of fake pretzels, I exercised NO CHOICE with ease ... because none were offered, LOL. Fortunately, I had purchased a Granny Smith Apple before leaving Logan Airport and had a lost-and-forgotten baggie of soy nuts in my brief case to tide me over from lunch until 9 pm when I was able to get a turkey sandwich. So, day one of my trip was eating on plan. CREDIT moi.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Ouch OUCH OUCH for that busy end of school year. LOL at Edgar's contribution to your exercise. My late Australian Shepard had a similar trait; she'd fetch a tennis ball and bring it half way back before losing interest and dropping it.

wendy (wendylan) - Yeah for lunch with home grown lettuce. Ouch that you lost DS as your swimming partner. Sounds like you're doing well anyway.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Kudos for 8000 steps in the evening alone. Ouch that busy busy busy affects your sleep.

Robin (RobinW) - LOL that "kettle corn is just evil!" Kudos for continuing with your personal trainer - never heard of one that checks up on their trainee. Traveling North America to do vehicle wraps sounds like fun. Good luck with the certification process.

Lori (elkfordian) - Thanks for the reminder about the Harvard Healthy Eating Pyramid, http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...u-eat/pyramid/
Sending you supportive thoughts for your "couple of weeks." Hope all goes well and that you can have access a computer to stay in touch.

Readers – "I now know:

• I have to watch out for fooling myself. Every single time I put food in my mouth, it matters. " From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

onebyone 06-12-2008 09:31 AM

Thursday morning

Good morning coaches. I feel good today, weather is calm, not too hot. A good day.
My food is settling down and I am settling down and getting back into my regular routine. No big shows coming up for a month or so, except another art exhibit at the end of the month but it's all ceramic work and so I just have to er, work... make things... But ceramic sis done ins tages so there's no point fretting over it. It gets done when it gets done. I can't rush it.

Well not to worry folks. (Thanks for all the kind responses to my long post the other day.) I take my bp meds everyday as prescribed, never or rarely miss them. I dom see the doctor when I am supposed to... it's just that that seems to be the only real reminder I have that *surprise* I have not lost any weight. he's good with me, always has been. Encorages me to just lose 10% of my weight and assures me that will be of great benefit to my health like all the new research says it will. 10% = 25lbs for me. It ain't gonna happen in a month.

But I'm okay with it all today and LOVE the Harvard pyramid elkfordian wrote about. Will give that a real look for sure. I too am back to no carbs after 5. If nothing else, I can do that one thing for today. Oh and three meals, 2 snacks if needed, no sugar for me today. Let's give it a go!

Update at 5:16pm-- so far no sugar for today. Very tough. I really craved it around 3pm, especially when getting a coffee on my way home at the local coffee/doughnut place. Told myself "NO CHOICE-you said no sugar and no means no". I won. No sugar. It's after 5 so no white carbs now until tomorrow. I can have fruit and veggies and protein...
And I did get some walking in today. So far so good. I also read a Spark people article that I poo-pooed at first buit am now taking to heart http://http://www.sparkpeople.com/re...les.asp?id=454. 10% lost for me is 25.6; 5% is 12.8; 1% is 2.56. I lose 1%-3% all the time 5-7lbs. So. Interesting. Time for me to re-focus. How's everyone else doing?

coastalsue 06-13-2008 01:03 AM

Hello All,

good to back here-been rather busy with company-way too much overeating and yes overdrinking. actually feel rather sluggish. The weather here has been great so have gotten in over 2 hrs in the pool as warm enough for houseguests to join us in the pool. Thanks for all the birthday wishes-plus celebratng my bro's recovery-actually now the mundane-both food and activities art starting to sound attractive.

plan for tomarrow
1. plan for 1700 cal day (get back to 1500 in a couple of days)
2. record all the food eaten
3. Ride the bike for at least 20 minutes

onebyone-I'll be doing that eat no sugar battle for the next couple of days-sugar is one thing that my mouth never gets enough of but my body starts hating and gives me so many symptoms that it is not good for me. You are inspiring that you followed the No Choice path.

elkfordain-that harvard food pyramid made so much sense! Hope your time away will be a pleasure trip. Bet you'll love a new lap top-it is great fun along with the equipment to make our whole house wireless-very enjoyable.

BillBlueEyes-much credit for waiting over 8 hrs to get the right food for dinner versus eating horrible airport or fast food.

Heidi-Oh those end of the school year push!!-reports, reports ect-Can you have the whole summer off? or is it summer school or continuing ed classes? Good for you to take it all in stride. You will back on eating program very soon plus your new pets sounds like an exercise coach.

wendylan-hope something works out for your swimming-is there a set of exercises you can do with a kick board or a "noodle" one of those aquatic exercises tapes with music? For me I do get my pluse up highter with doing laps but how nice not to have to get in the car to swim. sometimes I do the water areobics as can talk while exercising.

robinW-new pad sounds great!t-much credit-for the work the pt.Hope food chocies get easier.

Kulhjeanie-always one busy lady. sugary food are my head's immediate response to being tired. Actually think I can get a 5 minute sugar high and then become overall much more tired-but head only concentrates on the quick high and not the sluggish side effects. Yoga sound so good-hope it is very enjoyable for you.

sue

BillBlueEyes 06-13-2008 03:17 PM

Friday the 13th

Diet Coaches – A day of time squeezes, three hours of sleep, and failed Internet connections. Ate within my traveling allocations which got expanded to include half a fried shrimp po-boy sandwich yesterday. But no snacking between meals. CREDIT moi for that much. Will also take credit for long walks from one end of the airport to the other, since no other exercise happened. But the trip is done; I'm home.

Sue (coastalsue) - Kudos for 2 hours in the pool. Your plan looks good; hope your weather continues and the mundane feels good.

onebyone - Kudos for no sugar and for the walking.

Readers – Waving from the road.

coastalsue 06-13-2008 10:22 PM

HI,

Billblueeyes-sound like one tough trip!! 3 hrs of sleep along with other annoyances-much credit for remaining on plan.

did my 3 goals today-credit In fact ended up with less than 1600 cals

tomarrow will be a bit harder-leaving early driving 2 hrs then babysit for 9 hrs and then drive back home again for 2 hrs. Little chance to exercise. Just doing this posting is making me plan to pack some low cal foods to I am not snacking on the kids' crackers and cookies all about the place.

saw a bit of Orpah today and there were some inspiring folks who had lost of ton of weight. Really have to maintain that "I can do this" attitude. I hated biking so much today-in my head just complaining on how boring a stationary bike is-knew that was not helpful. Finally just focus on counting my in and out breaths up to 20 and start all over again with one. At least i wasn't listening to all that silly whining in my head.

success to all

sue

BillBlueEyes 06-14-2008 06:25 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches – Plan to get to the gym today to help recover from three days of not exercising due to travel. Was delighted to get home and discover some leftover asparagas salad with walnuts and blue cheese; so appealing when I was tired and hungry. It's a big part of my food plan to have access to healthy food that I really want. When traveling, I frequently face unhealthy food that is VERY appealing when the available healthy-enough food is only tasty-enough. Makes staying on plan possible, but with an effort and a little bit of feeling deprived. Just reminds me of the importance of the Beck strategy of surrounding ourselves with food we love so that on plan is the desired path.

Sue (coastalsue) - Ouch for four hours of driving; eight hours of babysitting grandkids seems worth it though. Good luck with snacks for the drives and when surrounded by the kids' nibbles. Kudos for staying with your plan yesterday. You Budhists are so clever at clearing out your head when it's stuck - I like that breath counting strategy. Big Kudos for being able to step back and look at yourself complaining instead of just wallowing in it.

Readers – "I now know:

• I need to give myself credit everytime I do what I'm supposed to do. " From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

onebyone 06-14-2008 07:01 AM

Market Saturday

Morning Coaches

It's an overcast humid morning here. Smells and feels like summer for sure.
I'm about to go out the door for my market day. Just checking in. Stayed 95% on plan yesterday. That was good! Got some walking in too... also good. Have decided to stay focused on losing 10% of my bodyweight by my birthday. This sepcificially is 25.6 lbs by November 4th. !0% is what makes a difference healthwise and that'd be a good present for myself. The best actually.

Anyway better go. I'm having a NO CHOICE NO BUTTERTART market day.
Can't eat it if I don't buy it...

Have a good Saturday folks.

maryblu 06-14-2008 10:18 PM

One sad Beckie here

Guys, can't even focus on anything other than how sad I am about Russert. It is the saddest thing; he was such a great guy, and absolutely the best at what he did. Such a loving son and father, friend, mentor......wow, so sad. I am a sad, sad Beckie.

BillBlueEyes 06-15-2008 07:43 AM

Sunday - Happy Fathers' Day you guys

Diet Coaches – Rode my bike to the Farmers' Market. Bought two quarts of local strawberries for the two of us - will just have to sacrafice and overeat fresh strawberries because the local kind only last a few days. Got to the gym. CREDIT moi. Cleaned blocked rain gutter down spouts. CREDIT moi. I hate that job. Makes me want to eliminate all the trees whose leaves cause the problem. LOL, thanks to Beck, instead of thinking of eating my way out of an unpleasant job, I think of wiping out all the trees. Oh Well.

maryblu - Sharing your sadness for the loss of Tim Russert.

onebyone - Kudos for staying on plan. Good luck with "NO BUTTERTART" today.

Readers – "I now know:

• If I regain weight, I can go back to using the skills I used to lose it -- every time." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

northwest 06-15-2008 10:17 AM

Getting back on track

Hello Diet Coaches,

I am trying to get back on track. I'm afraid that an out of town wedding, followed by 30th wedding anniversary celebration and allowing that old diet devil :devil:to convince me that I don't need to lose more weight have thrown me off the wagon.

Bad sign that I did not weigh last Friday as I was pretty sure it would show a small gain. Credit moi for coming back to the group for support. I might have to go back to Weight Watchers. There is something about paying to be on a diet that makes me more compliant!

So, I am going to keep working on Day 14 until I get it right!

northwest 06-15-2008 10:19 AM

"Overeating" the fresh strawberries doesn't count as a diet sin in my book. It's just one of life's little joys. There's a stawberry and rasberry patch next door to my office building. I'm going to go pick some at lunch time tomorrow!