3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/143194-beck-diet-solution-%96-june-2008-%96-group-support-discussion-diet-coach.html)

spryng 06-29-2008 06:30 PM

Evening all! :)
ok so I have been submersed in the Beck Book, it's so informative and interesting! i've already written out my response cards, etc.. I'm far into the book but of course I'll do a day by day of Beck as I go on here so I can spend 24 hrs on each day :)
Erika, 1.4% is awesome!! you are doing great!! Yeah I've been staying off the scale too, I'll probably weigh this thursday since I'll be out of town all this next weekend for my brother's wedding and such.
yoyoma, what is the basic concept of the Thin Comandments? is it low cal? low carb? etc? I just love hearing about different plans :)
Billblueeyes, no I find it easier to stay on plan at home. When I go anywhere else and I have no control over making the food or what it's served on is a challenge for me. But this weekend has been ok since the NO S diet allows you to eat more and have desserts on the weekends(days that start with S) so it's been good :)
Well I can't believe the weekend is almost over! dreading another long work week :( but at least it's only 4 days.

yoyoma 06-29-2008 08:21 PM

Spryng (and anyone else curious), the diet he outlines is low-carb, I guess, but frankly I'm not paying attention to the diet itself. He does say at some point to use whatever diet works for you and provides references to several including WW, Jenny Craig, etc.

The body of the book is about 10 "thin commandments". That's just a gimmicky way to organize the content, but there's a lot substance behind each of them...

1-Strategy is stronger than willpower.
2-Think historically, not calorically (eg trigger foods).
3-The problem may be the food, not you.
4-Structure gives control
5-Separate mood from food.
6-Take control of your favorite foods.
7-Slips should teach you, not defeat you (my favorite).
8-Stop feeling deprived.
9-Treat your calories like dollars.
10-Losing weight is half the job (maintenance).

If any of those intrigue you, I can flesh out more detail.

BillBlueEyes 06-30-2008 04:47 AM

Monday

Diet Coaches – Had the opportunity to practice patience without using food. I stuck my neck out and did a good deed, only to get trapped for about an hour longer than I expected before I could extract myself. The whole hour was spend in the presence of attractive cookies while I was stewing about my predicament, feeling helpless, feeling like a victim. Lesson learned: when feeling sorry for myself, cookies feel like the solution. I had a huge Desire for cookies. I deserved them. They would make me feel better. A handful would be a good start. Cookies are my friend.

My response: I choose to have exactly one - per my plan. It tasted like a cookie. I had to deal with my feelings otherwise. For not eating the cookies, CREDIT moi. For being such a novice at dealing with a situation I created without wallowing in the feelings of a victim, Oh Well.

Erika (eusebius) – BIG Kudos for 20 second cravings - now that can be dealt with. (Up with that one can put?) Reminds me that the worst part of being a new father was when I was trying to walk my fussy son to sleep. Doing that for an hour or so wasn't so bad, but doing it without knowing when, of if, it would end was just miserable. I agree, Program day 12: Practice Hunger Tolerance was one of the greatest exercises ever. It really surprised me how easy it was to skip a meal and how quickly the hunger just went away.

yoyoma - Neat that you've found another source to help develop your Cognitive Behavior Therapy strategies. I particularly like "1-Strategy is stronger than willpower." It reminds me that I eat on plan when I have made a plan in advance and have made a commitment to it. Then, eating on plan is rather automatic. When I make food choices on the spot according to my mood, it's easy for me to just wander into the food forgetting about bounds.

spryng - Kudos for getting your Advantages Card done. Care to share with us your big ones?

Readers – " … have you ever strayed from a diet for any of the following reasons:

• You were too polite to turn down the dessert that your friend baked. …" Beck, pg 21.

eusebius 06-30-2008 06:18 AM

Matadors olé! I can't believe we start a new thread tomorrow already. I guess I'm getting older because time is speeding by. Si jeunesse savait, as they say ...
OK I'll stop being pretentious. :P

Anyway, yesterday was free day (on BFL you get one free day a week to eat whatever you want). It wasn't quite the depth of debauchery of last week's free day, but it was pretty bad by any normal diet standards. Which is OK! It's part of the plan. But I think they will gradually be normalized as the weeks go on. Maybe just a couple of treats and some wine.

Yesterday was Day 14: Plan for Tomorrow. That was easy as I'm already supposed to do that with BFL, but I still think it's a powerful tool. Being able to say NO CHOICE, as Bill did when faced with dozens of cookies, is like a laser beam that focuses your brain and keeps you on target. Just another Yeti Matador Weapon!

Bill - Now I'm starting to wonder if the shenpa's fur is blue and he says stuff like "Me no can stand it, me want COOKIE!" You were awesome, major kudos to you. And also good karma for your good deed, though you didn't feel terrific at the time. But it is great that you didn't stuff the feelings with cookies!

yoyoma - that's a clever name then :) We have something in common for sure - the desire to present positive role modeling for our kids!! That's on my Advantages Card. Here's to the future Maintenance Moms! I went and checked out The Thin Commandments on books.google.com and there was quite an extensive preview. Good stuff! I will definitely consider picking that up in the future. A lot of it intersects nicely with Beck.

spryng - the book is fab isn't it! I always want to do all the days at once so I can use all the cool techniques.

Ok ... back to eating clean and upper body workout today. Day 15 here we come! Here's to a great week everyone!
cheers
Erika

onebyone 06-30-2008 08:56 AM

On this final Monday of June 2008

Good Morning Beck Coaches One and All

O Glorious Day Off!

The ceramic room cleaning I was dreading happened unexpectedly after my last post. All of a sudden the flooring guys decided they were doing the ceramic room, not the print room and could we empty it all out please. In one day. And the short day at school too: Friday. I was told Thursday afternoon. I had my doubts but efficient workers that we are, they gave me two helpers and we finished 1.5 hours ahead of time. And I did not get distracted and also completed my moose in the kiln for my exhibit that begins the afternoon of the 2nd. I have all the framing and support materials to make for the exhibit today and tomorrow but that's nothing compared to making the things themselves. And along the way I got inspired to do a whole line of "moose muses" (see my avatar! I'm so excited by this! I made it a birthday gift for a poet friend who shares her birthday with my DH on the 3rd. The right antler broke off because of my own carelessness and the left leg broke off casue something beside it in the kiln blew off and knocked it off. But it just adds character to it and gives it a feeling of being ancient. I love it. I want to make more!)

I also finally got my TOM on the moving day. It's been absent for 4 months. Thought I was pregnant there for a bit *phew!* but no, just The Change. it really messed with me. All the feelings of TOM and nothing else. O well. Yet another reason to make that Dr appt I still haven't made... okay just tried and they are off today (day before Canada Day holiday here--I got the day off too--they closed the school today :carrot:YAY :carrot: or I'd be there by now). Will call on Wednesday for sure.

Now today I am buying my food journal. I realized I'd better come back here and ground myself and post because I found myself going to the Flat Belly Diet on the net and considering doing it! FAD. FAD. FAD. Egads. I can't afford another fad diet much as I desire a flat belly! I need to do what works for someone with over 100lbs to lose. Right now I am confused by that for sure. I am hoping my journal will help me get right with this, and like you BillBlueEyes, I want a plan that is right for me that I can just follow and not have to drastically change as time goes on. I refuse to call it a lifestyle as this word is meaningless to me, but a food plan that I can live with and feel good about following. I'm going to really try to figure this out for myself without the distraction of "losing 30lbs in 6 weeks" or going for that "flat belly". It's going to be very un-sexy whatever it is. The Sensible Shoe Diet not the Red Stilhetto 6" Heels Diet.... though, I must confess:rolleyes: ... I hope one leads to the other!;)

While at the bookstore today I am going to look for the book form of the BDS. See if I can find it and bring that home with me. Newbies, you really only need the workbook so don't panic if you don't have the book book. I just want to add more fuel to my fire so to speak.

Better go. It is so nice to be off work today!

Everyone enjoy your day too!
Will check in again later...

kuhljeanie 06-30-2008 10:57 AM

happy monday all!

i may have written earlier about how i'm sort of half on/half off the wagon these days (which i've come to recognize as an accomplishment in and of itself.) might sound crazy, but maintaining my exercise routine and paying attention to what i eat (but not actually doing meal planning or calorie counting) has been really interesting. i haven't gained, haven't lost, and since i've been religious about tracking my food, i found out something. the last few weeks i've felt not quite out of control, but not "controlling" my diet. just watching (observing actually) what i eat when i don't have a plan laid out, and working on eating to satisfaction but not beyond (met with some success, but not always.) based on my calorie burn (thank you, sensewear monitor!) over the course of the last 3 weeks, my calories in vs. out has been, get this, almost exactly the same number. obviously the food journal isn't 100% accurate since i don't weigh everything, and the monitor can be off 8% in either direction, but i'm the same weight, so apparently - my body is smarter than i thought. kind of amazing. and kind of cool that i'm able to stop actively working to lose, without being on a frantic binge or falling into the abyss of the couch. craziness! thank you, doc beck. :)

i do still have 50 lbs to lose, though, so i probably ought to take a few minutes from self-congratulating to get back on track and start getting somewhere with them. my current weight has been my stopping/plateau weight for about 7 years now. i get above it and can work hard to reach it, but then i lose steam. dh and i are now actively discussing when we want to start trying for nino or nina #2, and part of me thinks "why bother trying to lose weight now, when i'm just going to get huge again?" thinking mistake!!! onebyone i know what you mean about the fad diet mentality. if i want to lose weight before i get pregnant again, i should do it really really fast, or not bother at all. sigh. :)

just some things rattling around today...hope everyone is doing well!

JennyG 06-30-2008 01:21 PM

Hi Everyone!! A start to hopefully another great week! I have finally learnt to credit myself, I am proud - Yesterday, I passed up ketchup chips (my fav) and twizzlers, at different times of course, AND I sat down to eat every meal I have had since Saturday morning!! Credit Moi!!! Kuhljeanie stay on track chicky, you have come so far with your weightloss, you can reach your goal!!! Hears to another great week for us all!!
Cheers!

spryng 06-30-2008 06:18 PM

Afternoon all! :)
ok, so today is going well. I have dinner in the oven and I'm starving which I should not let myself get, but none the less my mind is saying when it's done to eat eat and eat some more, lol.. but I know once I have my one plate and a large glass of something to drink it will pass and I'll be fine :)
Well I'll try to get back on tonight and get more personal, and yes Billblueyes I will share with you all some of my reasons for losing weight that are on my cards :)

angelmomma210 07-01-2008 01:24 AM

Hello all...would you mind if I join your group..I am doing the BDS and am on chapter 2. Thank you.

BillBlueEyes 07-01-2008 04:49 AM

Welcome angelmomma210

:welcome: angelmomma210 :welcome:

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in honor of your first post, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about The Beck Diet Solution and how did you find this forum on 3FC?

BillBlueEyes 07-01-2008 04:51 AM

Discussion continues on the July 2008 thread

This discussion continues on The Beck Diet Solution – July 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

Please join us there.