Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #61  

Hello All,

Have been having a lot of company and lots of cleaning, laundry and cooking. this too will soon pass.

Beck wise just relying on what I have already internalized-just eating less and cooking less caloric foods-certainly not losing more weight but love not having that gotta go crazy because not dieting. I have spend years being hooked in the all or nothing mode-painful dieting or gluttony.

I must say both Dh and I are feeling our age-it is not just company but the accompanying hubbub. Now I am even too tried to getup and eat anything,-Dh went to doc today who felt he needed more "down" time. Sound like a great idea right now. We still have 3 more very days with company then back to birdhouses-July and August been accepted into a number fairs.

Barpos -congradulation on your improved health score-Such good news

The rest of all Big HI-company has returned from their ride later to you all

sue
Old 06-21-2008, 07:02 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches – Small things: just noticed recently that I no longer pop the last bite of banana into my mouth - it's become a habit. CREDIT moi. Beck seems to drive us to toward serving a planned meal and avoiding even the little moments of emotional eating. However small, it does seem like a good idea to me to get away from my constantly looking for something to stuff in my mouth. My goal is to walk though the world without every sighting of food triggering my Desire to eat. Because there's a lot of sightings of food in my daily life.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Kudos for "just eating less and cooking less caloric foods" - sounds pretty good to me. Alas, this aging thing does seem to reduce our productivity. Wouldn't be so bad if I could just remember to plan like my current age rather than planning as if I were in my 20's.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Congrats on finding new customers wherever you go. LOL at the thought that you can't afford new customers because you'll die from the lack of sleep. Continued Kudos for the continued exercise. Looking forward to seeing the fondant crayfish, that'll certainly be a new one for me.

Barbara (barbpos) – Congrats on those blood test numbers. BIG Kudos for the eating and exercise that caused the improvements. Keep the faith for continued improvement; for me, it took two years to bring my HDL from 27 to 45 - just doing the same stuff you're doing. That's been one of the most satisfying results of my journey. I also share your concern about expanding my eating beyond the planned - even when the calories are negligible. Seems like unnecessary flirting with failure.

Readers – "… When you finish the program, six weeks from now, revisit this page and look at this list of bulleted statements. …" From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #63  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,
it has been a looooong while since I posted here. Great to see so many of you still working the Beck program and keeping the lines of communication open.

As for me, it's been a bit of a rough spring food wise, bouncing around from diet to diet and feeling overwhelmed by end-of-school-year stress. One thing that helped me was reading Eckhart Tolle. I know it's kind of buddhism-lite, but he does have some great practical suggestions for maintaining contact with the greater energy within.

Having practiced those suggestions for a couple of weeks I felt strong enough to come back to Beck and start over. Yesterday was day 6 and i am thrilled to be back with the best diet coaches on the internet.

I have also started the Body-for-Life program which is very different than anything else I've ever tried. I must say that I love the way of eating ... for the first time I am not starving or really craving fatty carbs. OTOH it's a very slow process at the beginning and doesn't give you the immediate gratification of something like Sonoma Phase I or the first part of South Beach. So this is where Beck comes in ... enhancing my stick-to-itiveness.

So much for my novel!! Looking forward to taking part in the threads and following your progress.

cheers
Erika
Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches – Small things: was about to have my standard afternoon snack when I realized that dinner was VERY soon since we were going out. So, I skipped the snack. CREDIT moi. My attack-on-clutter trashed another half container of papers this week and organized about twice that. Solving my clutter matters in my life because it's a barrier to other changes. As well, of course, as preventing me from finding the insurance bill and tax stuff. CREDIT moi. Bought too many strawberries at the Farmers' Market again. Local strawberries are so beyond good. DW's lettuce is arriving faster than I can consume it. The bountiful season is such bliss.

Erika (eusebius) – Ouch for the rough spring and year-end stress. BIG Kudos for getting back on track. A number of posters have restarted their Beck program, so you're right on schedule. (You might find the thread hard to follow; the last week in May and first week in June were lost to a 3FC system crash.) Perhaps you could restart our discussing Beck days, starting with the one you're working on.

How did your spring concert go? Did you find a satisfying dress? Was the world premier of the piece well received? I think of you every time I read my response card,
Quote:
It's the shenpa calling, I don't have to scratch.

Readers – "… You’ll realize that you agree with every one of them. …" From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-22-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Morning all! I just purchased the Beck book on amazon last night and am anxiously waiting for it's arrival which I hope is early this week But it's not a diet plan right? you use it in conjunction with a diet plan? Because I was planning on doing it with the No S diet I just discovered yesterday, along with my own little tweeks like I plan on using a childs plate as my one plate of food 3 x's a day and of course at least 20 min of exercise per day etc. My brothers wedding is july 4th so I'm hoping to be at least 5 lbs lighter by then, that is my first mini goal But once I get the book I plan on joining you all if you don't mind! What is your beginners advice?
Old 06-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #66  
Fighting Piano Butt!

Good evening Beckies!

Bill - Thank you so much for remembering the concerto and asking about it! It went very well and I ended up buying the dress on bluefly.com. Canada Customs charged me way too much duty though!
I am so happy that you have the "shenpa" concept on your advantages response card. So cool!
Great idea to restart the discussion of each Beck day. Today for me is Day 7 - Rearrange Your Environment. I am very fortunate that this is not a huge challenge for me. We rarely buy junk food during a normal grocery run, and any snacks for my daughter (5) get put into a high cupboard so that she can't devour them whenever she feels like it! The main thing in my environment that I would like to rearrange is the location of the convenience store - a 30 second walk from my front door. I think this is more an issue of conquering cravings, however.
What are your greatest challenges in your home or work environment? (I mostly work from home, so it's all the same to me.)

Today was a clean eating day. I resisted the juicy beef burgers at our church BBQ and went for a veggie burger and a green salad. CREDIT moi. Today was a rest day exercise-wise - tomorrow brings a lower body workout.

Bill - (again) great job with your eating and with your attack on clutter. That is very personally inspiring to me.

Spryng - welcome and congrats on getting started with the Beck program! When you get the book just start reading and all will become very clear. Judith Beck explains everything in a no-nonsense, logical manner. The first task she assigns is making a list of all the advantages of losing weight - in other words, all the reasons you are doing this -- and ranking them in order of importance to you. So maybe you could start with something like that and even consider sharing your list with us!

Have a great night, all! I'm excited for my week #2 tomorrow.
cheers
Erika
Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Very sad, but very satisfied Beckie

Dear All,

Welcome back, Erika. Great to see you.

Welcome, Spryng, I recognize you from somewhere! Glad you came here.

Wish Heidi were here...as I had said to her, we were going to lose our dear Bear, the world's best dawg, sometime this summer; I just knew it. It happened yesterday, weird, it happened the first day of summer. He was almost 13, had beaten cancer last summer; we don't even know what got him..he got sick and started vomiting slime non-stop; we thought he just got into something in the compost pile that didn't agree with him.

We got him to the vet, and left him for an IV and rehab, and he went quickly. Typical Bear; just died without any fuss. So, I am a sad Beckie. He had been here with us only 4 months less time than we have been here at our home. He always, always came running down the driveway and met us at the same spot each time..so weird to come into the yard without him.

I am also a very satisified Beckie, though, as the last two days have been the most extraordinary, perfect gardening days ever! I am (at last) caught up. I just got to weed the shade gardens today, which is a nice "to do", but not a "must do" right now. I know I am caught up when I can do that.

We played a lot of fetch with Karen, our newly adopted, newly spayed Black Lab/ Beaver cross from the Humane Society. Yes, she is a part Beaver..the logs (!) she has dragged around the yard, chewed and all, prove it. She is quite the retriever, too. She loves fetch. We didn't realize she couldn't swim, because she had come up from the lake wet several times. She learned today, though. When we threw the tennis ball in, she sorta lunged at it and then dog-paddled quickly. She is going to be a lot of fun in the lake..assuming it ever gets warm enough for me to want to get in there!

Have a great Beck week, all.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:28 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome spryng

spryng

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined six and a half years ago,

How did you find out about Beck and how did you find this thread on 3FC?

Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches – It was a weekend of eating giant lettuce salads in a vain attempt to keep up with DW's garden, LOL. The good life. Unusual amount of kitchen time for a non-cook: a double batch of white bean and tomato salad with rosemary vinaigrette, my standard two week supply of granola (with walnuts this time), 5 ears of corn for my weeks lunches, as well as my giant salads. CREDIT moi. Today's challenge is a lunch celebrating the Celtics win of the NBA Championship - sports food brought right into my work place and FREE. FREE potato chips. FREE hot dogs. FREE flat cake. FREE pretzels. FREE soda. FREE vegetarian chili (Bingo!!) It continues to boggle my mind that I am so drawn to FREE food. Makes me grateful that there isn't any FREE cocaine, LOL.

MaryBlu - My condolences for your loss of Bear. Thirteen happy years is a long life for a dog. I know that strange feeling of not being greeted after so many years. Kudos for being caught up with your gardens (several and large if I remember from previous posts) - I've never heard of a gardener being caught up. Must have been a stretch of good weather. What's this with a cross between a Lab and a Beaver. You're joshing us, right?

Erika (eusebius) – Kudos for choosing the "veggie burger and a green salad" with other options lurking. Glad to hear that the concerto went very well. Raspberries to Canadian customs, LOL.

Neat that you've solved the issue of snacks for your DD as part of Day 7 - Rearrange Your Environment. The biggest challenges for me were getting rid of the stuff that I used to eat, like the cookies and cheese and crackers. Since it was beyond consideration that I toss out food, I had to find takers for my stash of cheeses. I still manage to accumulate more good cheeses than I can reasonably eat. For example, yesterday I brought two chunks of nice cheese and three boxes of crackers to my potluck so i wouldn't even think of just wading into them. The challenge remains for me to only bring the home small chunks of cheese. I don't have a solution for a small amount of good crackers. Maybe the potluck donation could become my standard way to have a few good crackers.

spryng - Yep, you use Beck with your chosen diet plan. I like the simplicity of your No S diet:
Quote:
There are just three rules and one exception:

* No Snacks
* No Sweets
* No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"
We certainly don't mind you joining us, you're most welcome. The best advice for beginning Beck was posted by Nessa (ladybugnessa) from an email she received from Judith Beck herself: the first 14 days are the most important part of the program. That and sharing your Advantages Card as Erika (eusebius) suggested. Those first 14 days, like your No S diet, are very simple. You're on your way!!!

Readers – "… And you’ll also realize that – this time – your weight loss will be permanent." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #70  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

happy monday everyone!

glad to hear from you again, Erika! missed you! and welcome spryng. this is a wonderful group, on many different plans, but with the most wonderfully supportive approach to each other i've ever encountered on a board. looking forward to hearing how things go for you! i'm one of the re-starters, and the last week or two i've been wandering all over the place with the plan and eating. still not getting enough sleep. this weekend DH and i went to a phenomenal annual blowout called the cajun occasion and stayed out way too late. my body appears to be programmed to wake up at 6:00 whether or not the kid is up, so i got in a measly 3-4 hours of sleep on saturday, and sunday was more running around, bouncing from the in-laws' place to our friend in dayton who will be undergoing a quad bypass tomorrow. he's only 42, with a massive blockage in his heart - probably a result of decades of morbid obesity, drinking and smoking. he's scared to death, and frankly it's a little contagious. one of the things i've come to realize through beck is that for me, sleep=taking care of myself, and without enough sleep, all the other behaviors are very hard to resist. it has to be my first priority. i certainly don't feel like running or doing yoga today. what's really crazy is that three different people have commented to me in the last 3 days that i look thinner. haven't lost a pound - what's up with that??? maybe it's the cumulative effect of all the exercise, because i haven't been very conscientious with the food. i do though want to give myself a little kudo for finally "getting" it with eating leftovers off el nino's tray. food that's no longer fit for serving is garbage, and there's a big difference between eating it and throwing it away. the difference is that i'm not a garbage can. i shouldn't treat myself as though i were a garbage can. yuck. garbage should just be thrown away, the end.

bill, i also just wanted to thank you again for being our moderator and for being such a rock of consistency. it's comforting to log in and read how your day went. sounds like the clutter-clearing is clearing your head as well as your office! we're also having trouble keeping up with the lettuce; our CSA has been steadily ramping up with romaine, red leaf, green leaf, and mesclun. it's more salad than we can eat in a week. we're starting to become leaf pushers with our neighbors and friends.

maryblu, so saddened to hear about your puppy moving on. it's wonderful that you were able to welcome a new dog into your life! my DH lost his lab almost 10 years ago, and he's just now ready to start thinking about getting another dog.

may have booked yet another cake...back to figuring out how to get everything done again!!! it's all good, though. where's that baking icon? attached is a picture of my crayfish cake. cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crayfish cake.jpg (26.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 06-23-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

thank you all for the warm welcome!! right now I'll just read the posts because I want to read that book cover to cover before I get too involved but I'm excited!! this sounds like a wonderful group!!
yeah I've been on 3fc for a LONG time, lol.. but then I've had 4 kids and needed to lose lots of weight after each one and if you ever search for me you'll see I was part of many diet threads, lol.. ww, core, atkins, etc etc my last one being SBD but it really messed my cycles up so I had to go off of it too. I think my body is starting to work against me now on weightloss which means I have to do it slowly but surely because anything that drops the weight on me too fast sends TOM into overdrive, the last one being 4 1/2 weeks long so I DON'T want to do that again, lol!!! But any hoo! I'm so excited to get to know you all better! And I'm looking forward to a program that helps with the mind as well as the physical on weightloss. Where did I hear about it? Well from here actually! I was surfing forums and looking for something that would work for me and started reading this thread! I then went straight to amazon.com and read the info on the book and all the reviews there, which were awesome and I ordered it right then and there, lol... So now I'm hoping it here by the weekend so I can devour it
Old 06-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #72  
Fighting Piano Butt!

Hi everyone,
Day 8 for me: Create Time and Energy for Dieting. It has taken me years and years to realize this one but I do think I have managed to make good eating and exercise part of my daily routine. The trouble for me comes when I scratch the itch (shenpa) of a craving or listen to the voice in my head telling me to sleep in instead of working out. Having a plan for each day ... as Body-for-Life suggests ... does make this much easier ... then I can say NO CHOICE and do exactly as I've planned.

Pretty good day today. I did have some challenges with DD and her propensity to do anything and everything except what she's just been asked to do, but I didn't take the bait in terms of soothing the jangled nerves w/food. A good lower body w/o today as well.

maryblu - so sad to hear about Bear. Such a loss for you & your family ... good thoughts to you. I am glad you have Karen's company to enjoy - she sounds wonderful.

Bill - sounds to me like you no longer qualify as a non-cook Talk about making time and energy for dieting! Kudos to you! LOL on the cheese and crackers. A major trigger here as well. I would suggest 100-calorie packs but I hate all the extra packaging. Maybe we should invent a cracker-dispensing machine. Only 3 per day and it scans your retina to make sure you're not overindulging :P

kuhljeanie - wtg with the realization about the little one's plate ... that is a tough one for many parents including moi. Hugs also to you in a chaotic point in your journey, and good thoughts to you and your friend. I hear you on the sleep ... that is so hard when you are bound to wake up @ a certain time always. How old is your little one now?

spryng - v. cool that you found out about beck from this thread. Hmm, perhaps the good doctor owes us some royalties Just kidding, Dr. Beck!! 4 kids ... wow! Major respect from me. Are the older ones finishing school this week? Do you have summer plans with your family?

Hi coastalsue *big wave*

OK, speaking of sleep I'm about to fall over. Have a great night, all.
cheers
Erika
Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default warm summer Beck thoughts to all

It has been a warmer summer for some than others. Interesting weather patterns....no, wierd weather patterns...

I am almost feeling "survivor guilt" because we have not had the stifling heat of that bout in New England, nor the floods of Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and that whole disaster,nor the tornado disasters that killed people in other parts of MN and Iowa..nor the other really wierd stuff......no........we had March until the middle of May...so what am I apologizing for??? We have yet to reach 82 for heaven's sake...but that is waaaaaay OK with me. Perfect gardening weather.

Thanks to all for the thoughts about Bear; it is beyond the scope of this thread to do him full justice, but suffice it to say: a dawg who "belongs" to the whole neighborhood on the lake is a cool dawg. We were at the resort one night, and the grandkids from the neighbors on the point came walking up with a leash asking if Bear could come for dinner. "Grandma had a roast that she thought was too old, so she cooked it for Bear," they said. So, off they went with Bear on a leash....they could have just asked him, and he would have gone! I pictured him at the picnic table with a bib on, eating a roast. After a time, they brought him back, again on the leash, and, again, they could have said, "Go home", and he would have done so. Other neighbors commented over the years on how good Bear looked, if he had lost weight, etc..(He was NEVER FAT!!..after all..he was an outside dawg..and lived as dawgs are meant to live..)

When he disappeared for 11 days with his neighborhood girlfriend on Oct. 1 of 2001, neighbors helped look for him, and ultimately helped find him and Chelsea (not Chelsea Clinton.... Chelsea, his girl friend). We will never know what their adventure was, but it did involve distance, and probably human treachery...at any rate, it was a neighborhood party that broke out upon their return. The story of how he "got lucky" and we ended up with Silky is another whole story in itself...another sad ending after a year of great joy with his son, Silky...another story, *sigh.

This had nothing to do with Beck strategies, obviously, but this is the one place I can remenisce and no matter how hard I am crying, I can still get the words out; even if one is an adult, thirteen years is a long time to have a dawg so front and center in one's life.

I look forward to our group discussions, as I had a stimulating day today with someone who is waaaaay into Neurolinguistic Programming, and I am working that into Beck's Cognative Behavioral Therapy as part of a new training we are doing..that is a sales training, but if you think about it...the "just do it" strategy works. Do this, and if this unexpected thing comes up,do this..I can see this working in all aspects of life..and, of course, we know, CBT was first laid out as a way of coping with pyschological disorders of all kinds..

Anyway, our first training session is August 5, so I will keep you posted!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #74  

Hi,

Maryblu love your stories about Bear-you have lost a dear friend of thirteen years. Sorry

Eusebius-great fun to have you back here again!! Have you master the process of looking at the Shenpa, experiencing the discomfort and then having the cravings pass? One friend does this with success-I am still working on this-any tips?

BiilBlueEyes -what are your steps to not scratch the shenpa? ever read Pema Chodron?

spryng-welcome to this site-it is a great one!!The information in the Beck book is wise but the practicing it can get tough-that is where this group is so helpful.

Kulhjeanie-you have always been a neat gal and after babysitting our grand daughter (19 months ) for a couple of days I am even more WOWed how you get so much done after being with el nino for a 16 hr day. Our gd is a complete delight but most have contineous supervision. Understand the complusion to snack on the pathic remain of unflavored food made of the baby. ick-cold, bland, minced eggs-

I guess my mood now is that of subdued exhaustion-lots and lots of company-so much meal prepping that sort of lost my appetite. Did make a killer pasta primavera tonight-great but had hours of prep of dicing, cuttting making the sauce, ect.

Friday night we were watching lightening strikes all around us-did have about 1 minutes of rain then more strikes- this has caused literally hundreds and hundred of fire in Northern Ca. In our rural county there are over 100 fires going and 40 are completely unattended as trying to save structures and more populated areas first. the air is filled with smoke and they think the burning will last 20-30 more days. The weather changes are creating such havoc for so many places. Hard to listen to the news and see what some folks are going thru.

Right now I am looking for the magic jump start button to get back to losing again which always requires I preplan and record everything. Got the paper and pencil -just starting at my empty journal. any suggestions?

take care all

sue
Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches – Skipped my gym and walk yesterday a bit distracted by severe thunderstorms as well as assessing the results of major machinery at my place removing a HUGE Norway Maple. The tree, however dearly loved, was beyond salvation due to a deteriorated root that meant that the next big wind would topple it onto MY house. Adult DS wryly noted that he was glad we hadn't disposed of him when we were done, LOL. The tree is gone, but I'll work to get back on track with some exercise today. Oh Well.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Nope, I've not yet read Pema Chödrön, except the one article I'll post a link to below. I don't have a plan for resisting the itch, it's still such a new idea for me to try to experience a discomfort instead of fighting it or denying it. Sending you mental lighting bolts to get an eating plan and an exercise plan onto that blank journal page. Sounds like you're ready to get seriously on track. You are SO CLOSE to twoderland. You could still make it by the fourth of July.

For anyone who missed the post by Erika (eusebius) a few months ago, here's a link to a description of shenpa by the ordained Buddhist nun Pema Chödrön. http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/shenpa3a.php

MaryBlu - Thanks for the stories about Bear - quite the dawg there. I like your phrase waaaaay into Neurolinguistic Programming. The only one I met definitely fit your category of waaaay. Hope your veggies produce despite the cool start of the season.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Waving toward the west. Hope you are thriving despite the busy end of year.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Kudos for "finally getting it" about eating yucky leftovers from el nino's feedings. I so remember those days when I'd shovel in some unspeakable food rather than toss it into the garbage. I shudder even now thinking about the possibility of a YouTube video of me stuffing half a warm hot dog. Now that's an image to stop such compulsive behavior. Love the wild dancing crayfish - thanks for posting the picture. And thank you for the kind words.

Erika (eusebius) – We'll be rich selling the Eusebius cracker-dispensing machine. Three quality crackers per day using retina scan to stop those low life cheaters, LOL. Always fresh. Different varieties available, including Rosemary infused tea crackers that recently caught my fancy and had to go to the pot luck. Takes up no more space in your kitchen than a large ATM. We can sell a sister machine to install right next to it with quality dark chocolates.

spryng - Ouch that a diet caused your body to work against you. Seems like your new plan will allow you to manage that.

Readers – "Any reasonable diet will work for you if you have the right mindset." Beck, pg 19.

Closed Thread