3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/143194-beck-diet-solution-%96-june-2008-%96-group-support-discussion-diet-coach.html)

coastalsue 06-15-2008 07:58 PM

HI all,

Billblueeyes-happy father's day! Enjoy your strawberrries.

Hey Northwest-congradulation if that was your 30th anniversary.

OnebyOne-hoping for cooler and drier air but much hotter sales.

Maryblu- agree we lost one of the "good guys"

Just lazing around today-much more exhausted than want to admit to after yesterday activities-food planning is also a bit weak as having all of DH favorites-don't plan to over indulge but will not lose on this day's selections.

enjoy your day
I'll be becking more tomarrow.

sue

wendylan 06-15-2008 09:01 PM

Feeling just yucky today,ate way too much and my clothes are feeling really tight.Probably due to my lack of exercise,donuts,chicken wings,regular soda and moping.I worked alot of days in a row and worked Fri till 11pm and then Sat back at 8 am.That does a number on me and I felt entitled to eat whatever I wanted.I need a good kick in the butt!I am going to sleep in in the morning and go grocery shopping and will try to get to the Y Mon eve.So hard to stay motivated.I need to be reading my cards,the more I work I slack off.We have a diet doctor in the area and I was thinking about going.He costs $80 for initial evaluation and he uses Phentermine among other meds.He uses the ADA diet and sometimes the fat blockers like prescription Ali.I fel like a different person on Phentermine and can stick to my diet much easier and have more energy.I do not know if he will prescribe it for me though because I have high blood pressure and am on Synthroid because I had my thyroid removed.My blood pressure is controlled on meds however.The Phentermine does give me a nasty short temper but I just can't seem to get a handle on things by myself.With the Phentermine onboard I can follow the Beck principles much easier and I think about food a whole lot less.I am just not getting anywhere and my weight is climbing.

BillBlueEyes 06-16-2008 06:34 AM

Monday

Diet Coaches – We did it. We overate fresh strawberries. Sooooo good. CREDIT moi. Still recovering from trip. Only took a short walk. CREDIT moi. My own computer's Internet connection didn't survive the trip; hope to have it fixed today.

coastalsue - Oh Well - Father's Day only comes once a year. Good luck starting the week strongly Beck.

wendlyn - Ouch for feeling yucky. Good luck on making the med choice. Kudos for being so thoughtful about it.

northwest - Congrats on the 30th wedding anniversary. Ouch that your Diet Devil stays around. Thanks for the pass on overeating strawberries. With your kind permission, I did it again this morning, LOL.

Readers – Waving from a borrowed computer.

kuhljeanie 06-16-2008 10:51 AM

morning everyone,

mixed weekend. i'm giving myself a big credit for winning the 2-hour argument in my head friday night that i was done eating for the day. i wasn't hungry (in fact overate lunch AND dinner) and was still thinking about salty/sweet. i was tired, tired, tired. i even walked into the kitchen a few times and made myself walk back to the living room. finally went upstairs and took a long hot shower, went to bed. that felt good.

this weekend had many opptys to blow it, and you can't really eat on plan if you don't have a plan. instead, i ate what i wanted, but worked to pay attention and not overdo it. had more success than i thought when i logged my food this morning. i made sure to write everything down in my little notepad so i'd stay accountable, and have some idea of how well/badly it had gone. not as bad as i would have thought, food-wise. go beck and go me! the thing that just gets clearer and clearer is that i need more sleep. too many nights when i'm just barely getting 6 hours (or not even six.) i can't continue to function like this.

so, that's going to be my focus. being overtired makes everything about dieting harder. it's a struggle to exercise, i don't have the energy to plan, shop, or cook the good stuff, and i'm craving sweets. i've got a touch of the stomach bug that seems to be circling with the cicadas this time of year, so my weekend indulgences don't appear to have had an impact on my weight. i may not be so lucky (and i use the term loosely) in the future.

bill, LOVE strawberries! they're ridiculously low in calories for the taste. what a wonderful thing. mary, it was a tough weekend over here too. we lost him far too early. what a shock. sue, i hear you! i love my kid to death but sometimes i feel like he's draining me dry. sometimes i wonder what i'm smoking to be thinking about a second one. hey wendy, let us know how it goes! obviously health is the #1 priority - sometimes figuring out how to get there involves balancing all kinds of conflicting needs. glad to hear you're doing what you need to do to get yourself sorted out. let me know if there's anything i can do to help. hi northwest! funny how this board really does work to keep us accountable to each other, since this is such a supportive group of folks. good luck at your weigh-in! onebyone, sounds like your "no choicing" it is working for you. kudos!

wendylan 06-16-2008 08:59 PM

Did my shopping,costs more and more at the store every time I go!Have good foods in the house now,can't say I am eating any.I am going to call off sick for Tues. and I am off Wed.I need to get myself and my house in order.I need to spend some time thinking about all this.I did not get to the Y today but I did pick up a gift card I wanted to give the swim coach for helping my son.Swim team started tonight and my son still does not want to join.I will check in Tuesday.thanks wendy

onebyone 06-16-2008 09:18 PM

Monday Night

Hi Coaches.

Well not much to report. Staying on the wagon continues to be slippery... think the seat has been waxed or something. Or maybe it's the heavy downpours of rain lately that's made it hard to hang on to...

I found myself very mopey over the weekend, questioning why it is I do what I do. Hot humid weather punctuated by torrential downpours = low market sales. I'll feel better when sales pick up again. Ever since I went back to work at the end of school it seems we don't have enough $! How'd that happen? Everything feels worse. We've even talked of cancelling our vacation in August. It seems rational and reasonable but it's killing me inside. I have not had a real break for over a year now. Not really. I take half days here and there. It's not enough. I can deal with it, it's just getting to me.

And it's reflected in my food. General mopiness translates into a "who cares" attitude. Doing my best does not seem to be working so why bother?
Why.
1) because I am lucky to be able to do what I do.
2) because I have a partner who supports me 100% and really does see me going to art school as an "investment"
3) becasue we/I've made it this far doing what I do
4) because my mood is due to heat and exhaustion and financial stress
5)because this too shall pass

Tomorrow's another day and this one draws to an end. This week I was 65% on plan. I think I need to start adding back the exercise again. I dropped it about 2 months ago when the top of my foot hurt too much. to my credit, I did walk a fair distance today. Credit moi. I had a decent breakfast. Credit moi. I posted here. Credit moi. And I will read my book tonight. Credit moi.

maryblu 06-16-2008 10:54 PM

some random Beckie thoughts

Greetings, all. Great to see all of you who are posting.

Kudos, Kuljeanie, for exercising your resistance muscle. Next time it will be stronger!

onebyone, kudos for making a list of the positives in your world.

Wendylan, will be very interested in your doctor's recommendation.

Coastalsue, hoping your swimming will get you "afloat" so to speak.

Northwest, I agree with your conclusion about strawberries not counting as anything but a heavenly treat.

BillBE, good for you! Enjoy, enjoy.

My shake -your- head -in-wonder-triumph of the season (if you can call what we have had so far a "season" The average high temp. in June has been under 60..by a bit!) is that our compost, due entirely to SO's heroic efforts and artful skill at "cooking" said same...it is cooking at 143.5 degrees! Yes! Can't wait to see how hot we can get it if it ever hits 80 degrees here. Will report in for sure! (and yes, I used the instant meat thermometer...lol)

I dug in there tonight and saw heat vapor coming out! Just shook my head!

Yeah, I know, it doesn't take much for me.......

coastalsue 06-17-2008 01:35 AM

Hello all,

While not gaining I really need to "tighten my belt" and lose another 50 lbs -can feel the fatigue of carrying so much weight-

OnebyOne can understand the stress of living on a tight budget-every month we scramble to get all the expenses covered-have a hugh monthly increase in medical premium along with the gas and propane increase-I think at times I react to the following a strict food plan that it feels so similiar to following our strict budget-just no money for playing-going out- taking a drive- ect. Thing will not change soon-But so agree with you about looking at our blessings and giving ourselves credit for what we do- I have still have lost weight and have one heck of a great ocean view-along with 4 days of craft sales during July.-alway got to remain hopeful.

kulhjeane-right after being worried of our finances the next biggest diet sabateur is fatigue. That remain one of fiercest old brain behaviors-if tired eat sugar-

love to hear how you folks deal with not using food when overtired and/or stressed.

BillBlueEyes-may your computer annoyance quickly get resolved. I have 3-4 days of perfect internet service-however propane people "forgot" to deliver to us so another day we have not hot water again in the morning. On the up side I can't do the dishes either-such a boring task!

maryblu-hey our compost is just getting harvestable also-going to try doing veggies on containers on our deck-just too many deers, racoons and rabbits to be on ground level.

Wendylan-It sould like you need a well deserved rest and time to figure out the best plan of action for you. enjoy

sue

BillBlueEyes 06-17-2008 05:33 AM

Tuesday

Diet Coaches – Vitamins are 2 for the price of one at my local CVS this week AND I had a $5 off any $25 purchase coupon. So, I'm restocked at a bargain. CREDIT moi. I am so easily amused.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Need to post this little bit of self awareness on the wall: "if tired eat sugar."

MaryBlu - LOL at using your meat thermometer in the compost; can't wait to tell DW - she'll wonder why I think it's odd. (I'm married to a woman who gets visibly excited when a friend brings her a bag of horse manure.) Are you harvesting anything yet?

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Waving. Keep the faith; the school year will end.

wendy (wendylan) - Kudos for having the good food in the house - that's giving yourself the support you need.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Does this ever describe where it's easy for me to go astray, "you can't really eat on plan if you don't have a plan." Ouch for the stomach bug. Kudos for working to stay focused.

onebyone – Yes, yes, "this too shall pass." Kudos for giving yourself credit and writing out your reasons for staying on plan. Where are you with your bicycle riding?

Readers – "I now know:

• I can do it! I have the skills now. I know how to do it, and I’ll have these skills forever." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

onebyone 06-17-2008 07:48 PM

Tuesday

Good evening coaches.

I had an okay day today. Ate stuff and stopped. I find myself pulled back, and back again, into the fridge though. It's okay. I'll consider it extra walking as my trips to the fridge will be for browsing only.

Went in to work today. Accomplished several things on the perpetual to-do list. That was good. Even threw two pots: two small bowls with fantastic swirls in their bottoms. My favorite part of a thrown pot is that swirl. I got sad news yesterday. My great ceramic studio boss Penelope is leaving in two weeks for a full time job. So that means new boss and who knows what expectations by the new person. All happening when the studio gets crazy due to children's classes. The new person will have to start on the ground running. Will be interesting to see and somewhat stressful.

I hope I can get back on track foodwise. I don't feel so good and I thought to myself this morning that perhaps all this heavy eating is actually stressing my body out in itself, not just the potential weight gain and all that but the constant digesting of heavy food. Fatty foods. Big carbs. Salty things. I need a plan and I need a goal to motivate me.

BillBlueEyes I have not been able to get my butt onto the bicycle seat yet. I just feel too embarassed. And self-conscious. I do get up at 6am and have thought to go as soon as I am up. Not many folks out at that hour. I have everything I need except the courage to do it. I do, still, literally, feel like I am going to wreck the tires and/or the frame. Feel is the critical word here cause until I actually do it I won't know. Why am I so afraid?

coastalsue You wrote
Quote:

I think at times I react to the following a strict food plan that it feels so similiar to following our strict budget
I am rebelling these days. I can feel it. What is bothering me I am not sure of. (Actually I was re-reading this and I think what's getting to me is not having a day off during the week. I really don't. I just work work think about work and then work some more. I think I use food for 'mini-vacation, time out, and time away... yikes! Need a new strategy...and some acceptance that this is a temporary summer situation...) My food rebellion only hurts me. I sometimes wonder if I am at war with my own body, daring it to gain more weight. Is this nuts? It goes with the bravado of an "I don't care. I can't do this, it isn't working, might as well just gain more weight" attitude. This is a MASSIVE thinking error. A classic case of all or nothing thinking! As if all is ever lost - NO. NEVER. So after I am done the tantrum I try again but meanwhile I have gained 5lbs cause my body is extremely efficient at gaining weight. Really, as far as challenges go, it ain't much. A better one would be to, oh, say, ride the bike. Sheesh.

maryblu Love hearing your gardening adventures and your joy in every stage of it. I would be the same regarding the compost pile. It is incredible.

Thanks for reading. I'm hanging in there, determined to get this...

maryblu 06-17-2008 11:18 PM

Musings from a Joyful Beckie

Dear Beckies,

I am irrationally exuberant tonight, as I had a perfect horseback ride in the park. No cars, no bugs, just jogging along and galloping up hills among the lakes and trees. As we unsaddled, the mosquitoes made a half hearted attempt to annoy, but really were pretty inept; I laughed at their antics.

CoastalSue and all who are feeling the economic struggle: the reality of the situation we are all in evokes all-out terror in me at times; I share your anxiety. I do relate as well to the to the money worry as a diet saboteur. Kudos to you for sucking every minute of pleasure from your great ocean view. Enjoying the moment, squeezing every bit of joy from that is so child-like, yet so wise. Now if we can just convert that to the same sensation as eating dark chocolate.......hmmm...

I was listening to NPR on my short drive home tonight, and the segment was on the famine in ...not even sure..somewhere in Africa, I think, but the discourse was on how to tell how bad it is by what the population is eating...eating grass is the second worst, and that is what is being consumed...the last thing that humans in that region turn to is bark.

Gulp. Bark. The world is flat..am just not sure how that situation and many like it can just escape us. No nukes, no oil, no notice, I guess.

Just heard a Loon; I am blessed.

BillBlueEyes 06-18-2008 05:26 AM

Wednesday

Diet Coaches – Missed my walk - I was stewing because I let it get to me that a contractor left a message that he is arriving on Thursday yet still hasn't submitted his quote for the work. Of course he can't start work without a plan, but it's a pain to have to make a scene to get the obvious. And I don't look forward to making an expensive decision with only hours to review. Need to get my attitude straight here or I'll wallow into the doldrums. MaryBlu's post was just what I needed to get some perspective. OK, I missed my walk, but I didn't stuff my face about it. In fact, I didn't even think about eating my way out of it. So, for that, CREDIT moi.

On the bright side, the Celtics won their 17th NBA Championship in a blowout final game last night. I'm trying to count that as Program-day 40: Enrich Your Life, LOL.

MaryBlu - It just doesn't get better that this: "Just heard a Loon; I am blessed." Reveling in your horse ride. Love the positive spirit. Do figure out a way to let our simple joys give us the dark chocolate pleasure.

onebyone – Sending supportive thoughts for just Doing It and getting on the bike. Kudos for hanging in there when the going is tough.

Readers – "If I’d told these dieters – at our first sessions – that they would one day make these statements, they wouldn’t have believed me. ..." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

kuhljeanie 06-18-2008 02:53 PM

cat pee...sigh...

hi everyone,

maryblu, thank you for some much-needed perspective! it's absolutely appalling that such a scale even exists - and that so many are at the low end of it. glad that you're feeling happy! i love it when i'm just in a good mood for no good reason. bill, sorry to hear that you've got vendor mgmt issues; however, big KUDOS! for getting to the point where eating to ease the stress didn't even occur to you. that's huge! onebyone, i'm of the strong opinion that you should just get on that damned bike, even if it's for three minutes, and even if it does collapse. the odds are excellent that it won't, but so what if it does? :doh:

i'm doing a great job staying with the daily visits to the gym at work. it makes a massive difference to have it as part of the routine! it's also motivation to do my job well, so i'll never get reassigned to a less desirable client who may not be so generous as to provide contractors with free use of the company gym (and that wonderful yoga class twice a week.) if only they didn't provide doughnuts at the meetings and quesadillas at the cafeteria...:^:moving more seems to be a lot easier for me than eating less. i'm averaging about 2000 calories a day, and according to the magic monitor, i should be losing about a pound a week. it's not working out that way but i'm going to stay with it another couple of weeks, and if nothing changes, i'll try tweaking something.

my quest for sleep hasn't met with immediate success. the last two nights i've gotten a lot closer to 7 hours, but still haven't quite made it. last night one of the cats peed on my bed again right before i was planning on getting in it, so instead of resting in the sweet arms of morpheus, i was doing YET ANOTHER f%&^*ing load of laundry and cursing both the cats' names. DH would kill the pee-er, but lucky for her, we're not sure which cat is doing it. we are running out of ideas, though. if any of the brilliant beckies has some thoughts, i'd love to hear them because nature's miracle and baking soda doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

cheers everyone!

BillBlueEyes 06-19-2008 05:46 AM

Thursday

Diet Coaches – Replaced my stewing about not having an estimate from the contractor to stewing about how much the estimate is. I need a course in facing what it costs to have professionals do work. Reality 101, LOL. But, we need to have the driveway repaved with the proper slope so that it doesn't collect puddles of ice in the winter. Oh Well. There is, however, that strong feeling of moving forward on an important issue. CREDIT moi. Did my walk and my gym. CREDIT moi.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Ouch for cat pee. No suggestions from here - not a cat person - but much sympathy. Midnight laundry of sheets should be reserved for projectile vomiting by smiling children, LOL. Kudos for daily gym - that's really good.

Readers – "… You, too, might not believe it at first, but one day soon you will. …" From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

onebyone 06-19-2008 10:53 AM

Not much progress to report

Hi coaches.

Wow we're quiet here aren't we? Hello to all who are reading and not posting! You must be out there.

On the agenda today is a walk. :running: It's still cool and overcast. I've been caught in every downpour we have had since Sunday. It's true! I figure, what's one more?

I haven't had any willingness to curb my food and any ability to say no to myself this past week. Today, my new skirt feels the result of my actions. I'm all puffed up again and at the high end of my regular 10lb travels across the scale: 261 this morning. Down from 263 two days ago. I really feel lousy at 260+. I feel ill, hence the motivation to take a walk today.
Have salad for lunch. Try.

And that's where I am as I write this at 10:52am.

wendylan 06-19-2008 06:38 PM

I am still keeping up reading the posts but not a whole lot to report.I had my 3 days off and got alot of work done around the house,takes some stress and pressure off.I am torn between working more and getting nothing done or having less work = less money and more time to get things done.We go to Virginia in Aug and we have to get some money saved.I cut back to 4 days a week to have more time at home but then I pick time up because we don't have enough money.My husband works alot as well.Prices just keep rising and it is hard to keep up even with two incomes especially with children.All that adds alot of stress and emotional eating.I asked the kids to swim tonight at Y and they don't want to go.Eating has been so-so.Like my friend told me at work,I eat a healthy diet for the most part,I just need to stop the sweets.I always eat lots of fruit and veggies,yogurt and chicken and drink my water.Trouble is the candy in the afternoon and icecream ect... after work.Our new schedule just came out and I should be able to make an appt in about 2 weeks at the diet doctor.Hate to waste money if he won't give me the Phentermine,there are some posts about it on this website.

SPIRITANGEL 06-19-2008 11:29 PM

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!
Hello everyone again. I'm so unhappy with my weight but even more unhappy about my out of control eating. HELP!!!!
I've been hanging around the Overeaters Anonymous forums but they depress me. It's one thing to call myself an emotional eater but another to call myself powerless over food.
Do you think the Beck Diet can help a serious binge eater??????
I know it's all about my thinking and I guess that's why I like the Beck Diet.

It's very inspiring to see most of you still here and very lovely to see some newcomers too.
Nice to be back
Luv Spirit- (Sue #2)

BillBlueEyes 06-20-2008 05:46 AM

Friday

Diet Coaches – Rode my bike to pick up a container of soy nuts - roasted, salt free, soybeans. CREDIT moi. I just love them for my morning snack - 1/4 cup (30 grams), 130 calories, 11 g protein, 0 g sugar, 0 mg sodium. It works for me to leave the 21 ounce container (595 grams), $2.99 USD, in my office so it only costs about 15 cents per serving. Hope I stay hooked on them because when I have them as a snack around 9:30am I'm not in a panic to have lunch so I'm free to take a good walk before lunch.

wendy (wendylan) - Kudos for getting so much work done - a great way to get the brain on track for staying on eating and exercising plans. That seems like a good foundation for you however you decide about the prescription stuff.

onebyone – LOL that your post reminded me of:
Quote:

The Truth is Out There FBI agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson), The X Files.
Congrats for the down two. Kudos for the plan to take a walk and have a salad. You've been good in the past at shaking yourself out of a slump; you can do it again.

Sue #2 (SPIRITANGEL) - Nice to see you back again. Yes, the Beck Diet Solution can help a serious binge eater. The strategies attack that by a series of small steps. Each step can clearly be accomplished. Do you have the book? Have you written your Advantages Card? That's a great first step. Would you share some of your most important Advantages here?

Readers – "… Slowly, step-by-step, the Beck Diet Solution will build your confidence. …" From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

barbpos 06-20-2008 07:17 AM

Hi everyone,

It has been quiet around here lately....I wonder why? Thought I'd do a little something about that and say hi.

I'm still going strong, though a some extra veggies have found their way into my afternoons...gotta stop that...it's the snacking behavior beyond planned snacks, not the calories that concern me. Also, I'm continuing to walk and go to Curves for most of my exercise. I want to get swimming and biking more, and there seems to be a little resistance going on that I don't understand. But overall, things are good...actually very good. It's great to be lighter and more comfortable in my body at the start of summer.

Thought I'd share my cholesterol results from my visit to the doctor last week. The first test was after I'd dropped a few pounds from my highest, but right before I started Beck and back on South Beach:

2/14/08: LDL 146, HDL 28, trigs 290, total 232, total/HDL ratio 8.2

6/4/08: LDL 109, HDL 28, trigs 100, total 157, total/HDL ratio 5.6

So, the good news is a pretty dramatic decrease in bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides. The bad news is my good cholesterol (HDL) is still too low. It's hereditary - my brother has the same situation - and very hard to move. But more weight loss, exericise, and some diet adjustments can help. So, I have 4 months to see what happens, and if there isn't enough improvement, I'll have to go on either a statin or high dose niacin.

The amazing thing is that I'm already eating all of the recommended foods for improving cholesterol results, and nothing that they say to absolutely avoid. I just have to do some tweaking (a little more good fats, almonds and walnuts for my nuts, a little more red wine, a little less egg white, a little more soy, a little more oats, a little less animal protein). It's also amazing that I'm so aware of what I'm eating and in what quantities, from journaling everything I eat for the past 4 months, that I can make these kinds of conscious adjustments.

I'm still working, but their looking for my replacement, and I've cut back to 21 hours a week, going in to the office 3 days a week, from 24 hours, in the office 4 days a week. I'm looking forward to the summer, with a couple of long weekends away and a two week road trip in August.

Someone asked here a while ago why this all has clicked for me. If I knew, I'd bottle it, or write a book about it, and be very rich. I don't know...my frustration with the weight gain, reaction to the cardiac diagnosis, and starting Beck all came together at the same time. I've also been doing some work with a therapist who uses a model that looks at your different parts in a way that has helped me have more awareness and understanding of the part of me that overeats/binges, without having that part be in charge. It hasn't been totally easy...but it hasn't been all that difficult either. As I'm continuing to work on, I certainly hope this will continue, and it's possible that it will. One thing that's helped in that regard is to look at some of the before and after pictures, here and elsewhere, of people who've made it all the way to goal and maintained.

kuhljeanie 06-20-2008 09:35 AM

morning everyone! i'm dragging today...a chance encounter at a craft shop yesterday to buy edible marker has led to scheduling a tasting with a bride who may book me for her august wedding. i was so excited last night i couldn't sleep get to sleep. i'm hoping that the more business i do, the less worked up i get over every cake and design. otherwise, this new side business is going to be much more tiring than just doing the work! :) i find myself thinking about the design when i should be sleeping. onebyone, does this ever happen to you and how do you stop?

barb, so good to hear from you! and how FABULOUS??? i'm still batting the same 4 lbs around that i have been for months. not gaining, though, and my exercise has been much more consistent in the last few weeks. the improvements in your numbers are astonishing. mazel tov!

spiritangel, welcome back! ditto on what bill said. i understand what you're saying. i can't imagine that anyone is truly powerless over their own actions; we may experience urges that feel strong and uncontrollable, and we may not understand what's driving our actions, but that doesn't make us powerless. the oa program has been a lifesaver for many people, but i personally believe that everything i do is a choice, whether conscious or not. hey wendy! the world does feel like a tougher place to be sometimes. i was listening to a story on NPR last night where they interviewed a lot of people on how they were adjusting to the increases in fuel and food costs, and some of them had some great ideas. things like biking instead of driving, and eating less meat and more beans, growing their own vegetables. i was thinking to myself, how funny that being more cost-conscious seems like it would make you healthier. :)

it's a short day at work, then home for the afternoon to bake a sheet cake and make a fondant crawfish for a cajun party tomorrow night. if it comes out nicely i'll post a picture...

have a great weekend, everyone!

coastalsue 06-20-2008 07:05 PM

Hello All,

Have been having a lot of company and lots of cleaning, laundry and cooking. this too will soon pass.

Beck wise just relying on what I have already internalized-just eating less and cooking less caloric foods-certainly not losing more weight but love not having that gotta go crazy because not dieting. I have spend years being hooked in the all or nothing mode-painful dieting or gluttony.

I must say both Dh and I are feeling our age-it is not just company but the accompanying hubbub. Now I am even too tried to getup and eat anything,-Dh went to doc today who felt he needed more "down" time. Sound like a great idea right now. We still have 3 more very days with company then back to birdhouses-July and August been accepted into a number fairs.

Barpos -congradulation on your improved health score-Such good news

The rest of all Big HI-company has returned from their ride later to you all

sue

BillBlueEyes 06-21-2008 06:02 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches – Small things: just noticed recently that I no longer pop the last bite of banana into my mouth - it's become a habit. CREDIT moi. Beck seems to drive us to toward serving a planned meal and avoiding even the little moments of emotional eating. However small, it does seem like a good idea to me to get away from my constantly looking for something to stuff in my mouth. My goal is to walk though the world without every sighting of food triggering my Desire to eat. Because there's a lot of sightings of food in my daily life.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Kudos for "just eating less and cooking less caloric foods" - sounds pretty good to me. Alas, this aging thing does seem to reduce our productivity. Wouldn't be so bad if I could just remember to plan like my current age rather than planning as if I were in my 20's.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Congrats on finding new customers wherever you go. LOL at the thought that you can't afford new customers because you'll die from the lack of sleep. Continued Kudos for the continued exercise. Looking forward to seeing the fondant crayfish, that'll certainly be a new one for me.

Barbara (barbpos) – Congrats on those blood test numbers. BIG Kudos for the eating and exercise that caused the improvements. Keep the faith for continued improvement; for me, it took two years to bring my HDL from 27 to 45 - just doing the same stuff you're doing. That's been one of the most satisfying results of my journey. I also share your concern about expanding my eating beyond the planned - even when the calories are negligible. Seems like unnecessary flirting with failure.

Readers – "… When you finish the program, six weeks from now, revisit this page and look at this list of bulleted statements. …" From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

eusebius 06-22-2008 07:34 AM

Hi everyone,
it has been a looooong while since I posted here. Great to see so many of you still working the Beck program and keeping the lines of communication open.

As for me, it's been a bit of a rough spring food wise, bouncing around from diet to diet and feeling overwhelmed by end-of-school-year stress. One thing that helped me was reading Eckhart Tolle. I know it's kind of buddhism-lite, but he does have some great practical suggestions for maintaining contact with the greater energy within.

Having practiced those suggestions for a couple of weeks I felt strong enough to come back to Beck and start over. Yesterday was day 6 and i am thrilled to be back with the best diet coaches on the internet.

I have also started the Body-for-Life program which is very different than anything else I've ever tried. I must say that I love the way of eating ... for the first time I am not starving or really craving fatty carbs. OTOH it's a very slow process at the beginning and doesn't give you the immediate gratification of something like Sonoma Phase I or the first part of South Beach. So this is where Beck comes in ... enhancing my stick-to-itiveness.

So much for my novel!! Looking forward to taking part in the threads and following your progress.

cheers
Erika

BillBlueEyes 06-22-2008 08:52 AM

Sunday

Diet Coaches – Small things: was about to have my standard afternoon snack when I realized that dinner was VERY soon since we were going out. So, I skipped the snack. CREDIT moi. My attack-on-clutter trashed another half container of papers this week and organized about twice that. Solving my clutter matters in my life because it's a barrier to other changes. As well, of course, as preventing me from finding the insurance bill and tax stuff. CREDIT moi. Bought too many strawberries at the Farmers' Market again. Local strawberries are so beyond good. DW's lettuce is arriving faster than I can consume it. The bountiful season is such bliss.

Erika (eusebius) – Ouch for the rough spring and year-end stress. BIG Kudos for getting back on track. A number of posters have restarted their Beck program, so you're right on schedule. (You might find the thread hard to follow; the last week in May and first week in June were lost to a 3FC system crash.) Perhaps you could restart our discussing Beck days, starting with the one you're working on.

How did your spring concert go? Did you find a satisfying dress? Was the world premier of the piece well received? I think of you every time I read my response card,
Quote:

It's the shenpa calling, I don't have to scratch.

Readers – "… You’ll realize that you agree with every one of them. …" From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

spryng 06-22-2008 09:34 AM

Morning all! I just purchased the Beck book on amazon last night and am anxiously waiting for it's arrival which I hope is early this week :) But it's not a diet plan right? you use it in conjunction with a diet plan? Because I was planning on doing it with the No S diet I just discovered yesterday, along with my own little tweeks like I plan on using a childs plate as my one plate of food 3 x's a day and of course at least 20 min of exercise per day etc. My brothers wedding is july 4th so I'm hoping to be at least 5 lbs lighter by then, that is my first mini goal :) But once I get the book I plan on joining you all if you don't mind! :) What is your beginners advice?

eusebius 06-22-2008 08:44 PM

Good evening Beckies!

Bill - Thank you so much for remembering the concerto and asking about it! It went very well and I ended up buying the dress on bluefly.com. Canada Customs charged me way too much duty though!
I am so happy that you have the "shenpa" concept on your advantages response card. So cool!
Great idea to restart the discussion of each Beck day. Today for me is Day 7 - Rearrange Your Environment. I am very fortunate that this is not a huge challenge for me. We rarely buy junk food during a normal grocery run, and any snacks for my daughter (5) get put into a high cupboard so that she can't devour them whenever she feels like it! The main thing in my environment that I would like to rearrange is the location of the convenience store - a 30 second walk from my front door. I think this is more an issue of conquering cravings, however.
What are your greatest challenges in your home or work environment? (I mostly work from home, so it's all the same to me.)

Today was a clean eating day. I resisted the juicy beef burgers at our church BBQ and went for a veggie burger and a green salad. CREDIT moi. Today was a rest day exercise-wise - tomorrow brings a lower body workout.

Bill - (again) great job with your eating and with your attack on clutter. That is very personally inspiring to me.

Spryng - welcome and congrats on getting started with the Beck program! When you get the book just start reading and all will become very clear. Judith Beck explains everything in a no-nonsense, logical manner. The first task she assigns is making a list of all the advantages of losing weight - in other words, all the reasons you are doing this -- and ranking them in order of importance to you. So maybe you could start with something like that and even consider sharing your list with us!

Have a great night, all! I'm excited for my week #2 tomorrow.
cheers
Erika

maryblu 06-22-2008 10:56 PM

Very sad, but very satisfied Beckie

Dear All,

Welcome back, Erika. Great to see you.

Welcome, Spryng, I recognize you from somewhere! Glad you came here.

Wish Heidi were here...as I had said to her, we were going to lose our dear Bear, the world's best dawg, sometime this summer; I just knew it. It happened yesterday, weird, it happened the first day of summer. He was almost 13, had beaten cancer last summer; we don't even know what got him..he got sick and started vomiting slime non-stop; we thought he just got into something in the compost pile that didn't agree with him.

We got him to the vet, and left him for an IV and rehab, and he went quickly. Typical Bear; just died without any fuss. So, I am a sad Beckie. He had been here with us only 4 months less time than we have been here at our home. He always, always came running down the driveway and met us at the same spot each time..so weird to come into the yard without him.

I am also a very satisified Beckie, though, as the last two days have been the most extraordinary, perfect gardening days ever! I am (at last) caught up. I just got to weed the shade gardens today, which is a nice "to do", but not a "must do" right now. I know I am caught up when I can do that.

We played a lot of fetch with Karen, our newly adopted, newly spayed Black Lab/ Beaver cross from the Humane Society. Yes, she is a part Beaver..the logs (!) she has dragged around the yard, chewed and all, prove it. She is quite the retriever, too. She loves fetch. We didn't realize she couldn't swim, because she had come up from the lake wet several times. She learned today, though. When we threw the tennis ball in, she sorta lunged at it and then dog-paddled quickly. She is going to be a lot of fun in the lake..assuming it ever gets warm enough for me to want to get in there!

Have a great Beck week, all.

BillBlueEyes 06-23-2008 04:28 AM

Welcome spryng

:welcome: spryng :welcome:

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined six and a half years ago, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about Beck and how did you find this thread on 3FC?

BillBlueEyes 06-23-2008 05:35 AM

Monday

Diet Coaches – It was a weekend of eating giant lettuce salads in a vain attempt to keep up with DW's garden, LOL. The good life. Unusual amount of kitchen time for a non-cook: a double batch of white bean and tomato salad with rosemary vinaigrette, my standard two week supply of granola (with walnuts this time), 5 ears of corn for my weeks lunches, as well as my giant salads. CREDIT moi. Today's challenge is a lunch celebrating the Celtics win of the NBA Championship - sports food brought right into my work place and FREE. FREE potato chips. FREE hot dogs. FREE flat cake. FREE pretzels. FREE soda. FREE vegetarian chili (Bingo!!) It continues to boggle my mind that I am so drawn to FREE food. Makes me grateful that there isn't any FREE cocaine, LOL.

MaryBlu - My condolences for your loss of Bear. Thirteen happy years is a long life for a dog. I know that strange feeling of not being greeted after so many years. Kudos for being caught up with your gardens (several and large if I remember from previous posts) - I've never heard of a gardener being caught up. Must have been a stretch of good weather. What's this with a cross between a Lab and a Beaver. You're joshing us, right?

Erika (eusebius) – Kudos for choosing the "veggie burger and a green salad" with other options lurking. Glad to hear that the concerto went very well. Raspberries to Canadian customs, LOL.

Neat that you've solved the issue of snacks for your DD as part of Day 7 - Rearrange Your Environment. The biggest challenges for me were getting rid of the stuff that I used to eat, like the cookies and cheese and crackers. Since it was beyond consideration that I toss out food, I had to find takers for my stash of cheeses. I still manage to accumulate more good cheeses than I can reasonably eat. For example, yesterday I brought two chunks of nice cheese and three boxes of crackers to my potluck so i wouldn't even think of just wading into them. The challenge remains for me to only bring the home small chunks of cheese. I don't have a solution for a small amount of good crackers. Maybe the potluck donation could become my standard way to have a few good crackers.

spryng - Yep, you use Beck with your chosen diet plan. I like the simplicity of your No S diet:
Quote:

There are just three rules and one exception:

* No Snacks
* No Sweets
* No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"
We certainly don't mind you joining us, you're most welcome. The best advice for beginning Beck was posted by Nessa (ladybugnessa) from an email she received from Judith Beck herself: the first 14 days are the most important part of the program. That and sharing your Advantages Card as Erika (eusebius) suggested. Those first 14 days, like your No S diet, are very simple. You're on your way!!!

Readers – "… And you’ll also realize that – this time – your weight loss will be permanent." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

kuhljeanie 06-23-2008 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
happy monday everyone!

glad to hear from you again, Erika! missed you! and welcome spryng. this is a wonderful group, on many different plans, but with the most wonderfully supportive approach to each other i've ever encountered on a board. looking forward to hearing how things go for you! i'm one of the re-starters, and the last week or two i've been wandering all over the place with the plan and eating. still not getting enough sleep. this weekend DH and i went to a phenomenal annual blowout called the cajun occasion and stayed out way too late. my body appears to be programmed to wake up at 6:00 whether or not the kid is up, so i got in a measly 3-4 hours of sleep on saturday, and sunday was more running around, bouncing from the in-laws' place to our friend in dayton who will be undergoing a quad bypass tomorrow. he's only 42, with a massive blockage in his heart - probably a result of decades of morbid obesity, drinking and smoking. he's scared to death, and frankly it's a little contagious. one of the things i've come to realize through beck is that for me, sleep=taking care of myself, and without enough sleep, all the other behaviors are very hard to resist. it has to be my first priority. i certainly don't feel like running or doing yoga today. what's really crazy is that three different people have commented to me in the last 3 days that i look thinner. haven't lost a pound - what's up with that??? maybe it's the cumulative effect of all the exercise, because i haven't been very conscientious with the food. i do though want to give myself a little kudo for finally "getting" it with eating leftovers off el nino's tray. food that's no longer fit for serving is garbage, and there's a big difference between eating it and throwing it away. the difference is that i'm not a garbage can. i shouldn't treat myself as though i were a garbage can. yuck. garbage should just be thrown away, the end.

bill, i also just wanted to thank you again for being our moderator and for being such a rock of consistency. it's comforting to log in and read how your day went. sounds like the clutter-clearing is clearing your head as well as your office! we're also having trouble keeping up with the lettuce; our CSA has been steadily ramping up with romaine, red leaf, green leaf, and mesclun. it's more salad than we can eat in a week. we're starting to become leaf pushers with our neighbors and friends. :)

maryblu, so saddened to hear about your puppy moving on. it's wonderful that you were able to welcome a new dog into your life! my DH lost his lab almost 10 years ago, and he's just now ready to start thinking about getting another dog.

may have booked yet another cake...back to figuring out how to get everything done again!!! it's all good, though. where's that baking icon? :) attached is a picture of my crayfish cake. cheers!

spryng 06-23-2008 04:19 PM

thank you all for the warm welcome!! right now I'll just read the posts because I want to read that book cover to cover before I get too involved but I'm excited!! this sounds like a wonderful group!!
yeah I've been on 3fc for a LONG time, lol.. but then I've had 4 kids and needed to lose lots of weight after each one and if you ever search for me you'll see I was part of many diet threads, lol.. ww, core, atkins, etc etc my last one being SBD but it really messed my cycles up so I had to go off of it too. I think my body is starting to work against me now on weightloss which means I have to do it slowly but surely because anything that drops the weight on me too fast sends TOM into overdrive, the last one being 4 1/2 weeks long so I DON'T want to do that again, lol!!! But any hoo! I'm so excited to get to know you all better! And I'm looking forward to a program that helps with the mind as well as the physical on weightloss. Where did I hear about it? Well from here actually! I was surfing forums and looking for something that would work for me and started reading this thread! I then went straight to amazon.com and read the info on the book and all the reviews there, which were awesome and I ordered it right then and there, lol... So now I'm hoping it here by the weekend so I can devour it :)

eusebius 06-23-2008 10:29 PM

Hi everyone,
Day 8 for me: Create Time and Energy for Dieting. It has taken me years and years to realize this one but I do think I have managed to make good eating and exercise part of my daily routine. The trouble for me comes when I scratch the itch (shenpa) of a craving or listen to the voice in my head telling me to sleep in instead of working out. Having a plan for each day ... as Body-for-Life suggests ... does make this much easier ... then I can say NO CHOICE and do exactly as I've planned.

Pretty good day today. I did have some challenges with DD and her propensity to do anything and everything except what she's just been asked to do, but I didn't take the bait in terms of soothing the jangled nerves w/food. A good lower body w/o today as well.

maryblu - so sad to hear about Bear. Such a loss for you & your family ... good thoughts to you. I am glad you have Karen's company to enjoy - she sounds wonderful.

Bill - sounds to me like you no longer qualify as a non-cook ;) Talk about making time and energy for dieting! Kudos to you! LOL on the cheese and crackers. A major trigger here as well. I would suggest 100-calorie packs but I hate all the extra packaging. Maybe we should invent a cracker-dispensing machine. Only 3 per day and it scans your retina to make sure you're not overindulging :P

kuhljeanie - wtg with the realization about the little one's plate ... that is a tough one for many parents including moi. Hugs also to you in a chaotic point in your journey, and good thoughts to you and your friend. I hear you on the sleep ... that is so hard when you are bound to wake up @ a certain time always. How old is your little one now?

spryng - v. cool that you found out about beck from this thread. Hmm, perhaps the good doctor owes us some royalties ;) Just kidding, Dr. Beck!! 4 kids ... wow! Major respect from me. Are the older ones finishing school this week? Do you have summer plans with your family?

Hi coastalsue *big wave*

OK, speaking of sleep I'm about to fall over. Have a great night, all.
cheers
Erika

maryblu 06-24-2008 12:43 AM

warm summer Beck thoughts to all

It has been a warmer summer for some than others. Interesting weather patterns....no, wierd weather patterns...

I am almost feeling "survivor guilt" because we have not had the stifling heat of that bout in New England, nor the floods of Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and that whole disaster,nor the tornado disasters that killed people in other parts of MN and Iowa..nor the other really wierd stuff......no........we had March until the middle of May...so what am I apologizing for??? We have yet to reach 82 for heaven's sake...but that is waaaaaay OK with me. Perfect gardening weather.

Thanks to all for the thoughts about Bear; it is beyond the scope of this thread to do him full justice, but suffice it to say: a dawg who "belongs" to the whole neighborhood on the lake is a cool dawg. We were at the resort one night, and the grandkids from the neighbors on the point came walking up with a leash asking if Bear could come for dinner. "Grandma had a roast that she thought was too old, so she cooked it for Bear," they said. So, off they went with Bear on a leash....they could have just asked him, and he would have gone! I pictured him at the picnic table with a bib on, eating a roast. After a time, they brought him back, again on the leash, and, again, they could have said, "Go home", and he would have done so. Other neighbors commented over the years on how good Bear looked, if he had lost weight, etc..(He was NEVER FAT!!..after all..he was an outside dawg..and lived as dawgs are meant to live..)

When he disappeared for 11 days with his neighborhood girlfriend on Oct. 1 of 2001, neighbors helped look for him, and ultimately helped find him and Chelsea (not Chelsea Clinton.... Chelsea, his girl friend). We will never know what their adventure was, but it did involve distance, and probably human treachery...at any rate, it was a neighborhood party that broke out upon their return. The story of how he "got lucky" and we ended up with Silky is another whole story in itself...another sad ending after a year of great joy with his son, Silky...another story, *sigh.

This had nothing to do with Beck strategies, obviously, but this is the one place I can remenisce and no matter how hard I am crying, I can still get the words out; even if one is an adult, thirteen years is a long time to have a dawg so front and center in one's life.

I look forward to our group discussions, as I had a stimulating day today with someone who is waaaaay into Neurolinguistic Programming, and I am working that into Beck's Cognative Behavioral Therapy as part of a new training we are doing..that is a sales training, but if you think about it...the "just do it" strategy works. Do this, and if this unexpected thing comes up,do this..I can see this working in all aspects of life..and, of course, we know, CBT was first laid out as a way of coping with pyschological disorders of all kinds..

Anyway, our first training session is August 5, so I will keep you posted!

coastalsue 06-24-2008 02:58 AM

Hi,

Maryblu love your stories about Bear-you have lost a dear friend of thirteen years. Sorry

Eusebius-great fun to have you back here again!! Have you master the process of looking at the Shenpa, experiencing the discomfort and then having the cravings pass? One friend does this with success-I am still working on this-any tips?

BiilBlueEyes -what are your steps to not scratch the shenpa? ever read Pema Chodron?

spryng-welcome to this site-it is a great one!!The information in the Beck book is wise but the practicing it can get tough-that is where this group is so helpful.

Kulhjeanie-you have always been a neat gal and after babysitting our grand daughter (19 months ) for a couple of days I am even more WOWed how you get so much done after being with el nino for a 16 hr day. Our gd is a complete delight but most have contineous supervision. Understand the complusion to snack on the pathic remain of unflavored food made of the baby. ick-cold, bland, minced eggs-

I guess my mood now is that of subdued exhaustion-lots and lots of company-so much meal prepping that sort of lost my appetite. Did make a killer pasta primavera tonight-great but had hours of prep of dicing, cuttting making the sauce, ect.

Friday night we were watching lightening strikes all around us-did have about 1 minutes of rain then more strikes- this has caused literally hundreds and hundred of fire in Northern Ca. In our rural county there are over 100 fires going and 40 are completely unattended as trying to save structures and more populated areas first. the air is filled with smoke and they think the burning will last 20-30 more days. The weather changes are creating such havoc for so many places. Hard to listen to the news and see what some folks are going thru.

Right now I am looking for the magic jump start button to get back to losing again which always requires I preplan and record everything. Got the paper and pencil -just starting at my empty journal. any suggestions?

take care all

sue

BillBlueEyes 06-24-2008 05:37 AM

Tuesday

Diet Coaches – Skipped my gym and walk yesterday a bit distracted by severe thunderstorms as well as assessing the results of major machinery at my place removing a HUGE Norway Maple. The tree, however dearly loved, was beyond salvation due to a deteriorated root that meant that the next big wind would topple it onto MY house. Adult DS wryly noted that he was glad we hadn't disposed of him when we were done, LOL. The tree is gone, but I'll work to get back on track with some exercise today. Oh Well.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Nope, I've not yet read Pema Chödrön, except the one article I'll post a link to below. I don't have a plan for resisting the itch, it's still such a new idea for me to try to experience a discomfort instead of fighting it or denying it. Sending you mental lighting bolts to get an eating plan and an exercise plan onto that blank journal page. Sounds like you're ready to get seriously on track. You are SO CLOSE to twoderland. You could still make it by the fourth of July.

For anyone who missed the post by Erika (eusebius) a few months ago, here's a link to a description of shenpa by the ordained Buddhist nun Pema Chödrön. http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/shenpa3a.php

MaryBlu - Thanks for the stories about Bear - quite the dawg there. I like your phrase waaaaay into Neurolinguistic Programming. The only one I met definitely fit your category of waaaay. Hope your veggies produce despite the cool start of the season.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Waving toward the west. Hope you are thriving despite the busy end of year.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Kudos for "finally getting it" about eating yucky leftovers from el nino's feedings. I so remember those days when I'd shovel in some unspeakable food rather than toss it into the garbage. I shudder even now thinking about the possibility of a YouTube video of me stuffing half a warm hot dog. Now that's an image to stop such compulsive behavior. Love the wild dancing crayfish - thanks for posting the picture. And thank you for the kind words.

Erika (eusebius) – We'll be rich selling the Eusebius cracker-dispensing machine. Three quality crackers per day using retina scan to stop those low life cheaters, LOL. Always fresh. Different varieties available, including Rosemary infused tea crackers that recently caught my fancy and had to go to the pot luck. Takes up no more space in your kitchen than a large ATM. We can sell a sister machine to install right next to it with quality dark chocolates.

spryng - Ouch that a diet caused your body to work against you. Seems like your new plan will allow you to manage that.

Readers – "Any reasonable diet will work for you if you have the right mindset." Beck, pg 19.

onebyone 06-24-2008 08:24 AM

Tuesday & Shenpas!

Good Morning Coaches

Oh my goodness! I have never heard of the Shenpa. Or, even better,
scratching the Shenpa. Wow. I can totally visualize this and that's powerful stuff for me.
A shenpa to me is like the abomnible snowman. Fuzzy, furry, shaggy, you want to touch it cause it looks so soft, meet with it cause it's so strange and different... very compelling... but look out! Big teeth, big mits to catch you with and hold onto you with. But you can just notice the Shenpa and sit with it, share the same space, breath the same air, and either you, or it, will wander off eventually. Peace in the Valley and all that.
Wow. This may really help me refrain from food. I may need to paint onto canvas the shenpa in my life. If I do I'll introduce you all to my shenpa.

I'm having a good run of busyness of late. I've pretty much ignored the food thing and as a result the scale is dropping. 258 this morning. No sign of TOM for me for months now. I am 44. Is this a thing you go to the Dr with? A friend suggested I was pregnant. No. More likely the physiology I was born with that brings the women in the family The Change at an early age. OR that I have been changing up my food, jumping around from this to that and back again, and my weight goes up and down and back again along that 10lb track over and over. Add to that the mountains of stress and busyness and worry that have ebbed and flowed and, well, this stuff does affect the body, not just the mind.
Guess it is time for a checkup. I'll call today.

Currently I am working on ceramic moose heads for a new exhibit of my work in a fantastic display case. I wanted an exhibit just to be in that display case! (I put a favorite up as my avatar: The Twins)
The show is called SPECIMENS and along with the 24 moose there will be a fictional index card, telling when the specimen was gathered and all known characteristics of the animal: age, height weight, age at death cause of death. I did a mini version of this show for my final ceramics class last year and dug them out and was told I'd need twice as many for that luscious space so I just completed the clay figures yesterday. I'm firing them this week and glaze firing them this week too. Exciting! AND I made a "bonus moose muse" for a poet friend as her birthday dovetails with DH's next week (he's turning the Big 4-0 she, 47 I believe) and now this muse figure has me wanting to make more of them. And suggestions for muses you'd like to see? Any kind of muse you'd want to have?
I sure hope it survives the first firing and then the glazing. I should make a "muse of successful ceramics" or some such thing. I may be onto something here...

Sales are still rough. It's just not a good season so far. And it rains every Sunday I am out selling! I'm getting used to it. My friend is on the hunt for a discarded bike for me to ride that I won't care if I wreck. I sat on mine and yes, it did go very low on the skinny racing tires. I will wait to ride it when I weigh less. I know there is a bike in my future. It's coming.

Will check in later for personals... have to dash and meet my shenpa on the public transit system ;)
Have a good Tuesday Becksters!

spryng 06-24-2008 04:28 PM

Hello again! :) just popping in to say hey!
yes 4 kids, lol.. they have been out of school since may 23 and the summer is going great! :) i work full time from home so I see them all day long :)
well as you know I'm doing that No S diet plan and it's going well! not even feeling hungry between meals and the one plate (child size for me) fills me right up so I'm happy with that :)
well I'm gonna go check amazon.com and see if my book has shipped yet! :)

eusebius 06-24-2008 10:00 PM

Good evening all.
Today was Day 9 - Choose an Exercise Plan. For me this was easy as the Body-for-Life plan is just as detailed with regard to exercise as it is for food. I am now lifting weights 3x a week and doing high-intensity interval cardio 3x a week, with 1 rest day. It is bracing but feels great!
How did all of you choose your plans? How are they working out for you?

Cardio today and a clean eating day. I am doing a lot of near-repetition of meals which makes everything easy and no-brainer-ish. It's fun when a Grand Slam tennis tournament is on that I can follow while exercising! Go Roger, make it 6 in a row!!

maryblu - what wonderful memories you have of Bear. Your new training sounds extremely interesting, lots of potential there ... CBT definitely has multiple applications!

coastalsue - it is great to be back hearing from all of you!! I am far from mastering the shenpa, but I do find that Eckhart Tolle's very practical techniques for sensing divine energy within oneself help me. I guess the ideal for me might be to realize that the craving is the shenpa and not my realized self ... so can I be the witness to the shenpa and not identify myself with it??

Bill - sorry to hear about your tree. Whenever I hear about giant trees with big personalities I am always reminded of Tolkien's Ents. Talk about doing things slowly and mindfully! LOL on the Eusebius Cracker-Dispensing Machine!

onebyone - I just love your description of the shenpa! It sounds like a particularly malignant kind of yeti! Maybe he's really cuddly once you get to know him, LOL!

Spryng - wow, you can work from home with 4 kids around??? that is incredible! What is your secret for keeping them out of your hair? LOL!! Glad to hear that your diet is going so well!

heidi - waving to you as well!!

OK all ... it's a VERY early morning for me tomorrow ... accompanying voice exams in the big city. So I will try to sleep, though a bit wired for some reason. OH WELL!
cheers
Erika

JennyG 06-24-2008 10:10 PM

I am totally going to buy this book!!!

BillBlueEyes 06-25-2008 04:59 AM

Welcome JennyG

:welcome: JennyG :welcome:

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined earlier this month, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about Beck and how did you find this thread on 3FC?