Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #16  

Height: 5'4"

Hello Dolly! (hee.) I'm having an okay day. I'm tired because I started reading Brian Wansink's Mindless Eating last night. He's the one who came up with the bottomless soup bowl and the stale popcorn experiments they demonstrated in ICMYT. I couldn't put it down!

I've had problems eating consciously, but that's more because of my husband being out of town and having to try to eat when I'm watching our babies. Seriously, that is one big issue I'm going to continue to have. I can never just sit down and enjoy my meals when I also have to make sure the two kids get fed (I still have to feed the one-year old myself), pick up sippy cups a million times, etc. You'd think that alone would at least force me to slow down my eating, but it usually forces me to shovel it in because I end up feeding them first and then run out of time to eat. Anyway, that's what it's been like this past week. Now that my husband's coming back, I hope that I can slow down more.

I'm in a hopeful mood. I'm so relieved about selling the house. I hate my current job but I'm interviewing for a new one next week (and let me tell you, I'm already able to just let things go at my current job that would normally eat me alive). I get to go away this weekend by myself. I'm just looking forward to being able to breathe deeply and slow down a little.

If I don't get to check in again, I hope everyone has a good weekend!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #17  

Amy-I think you can only what you can do when you can do it. Don't stress about not eating consciously when you have so much going on this week. Just do what you can. It all evens out in the end. One thing I have tried when I have feeling rushed during eating is before I sit down to a meal I will cut my portion in half and eat that half, drink some water, wait a few minutes, and see if I want to keep eating. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It is an artificial way to impose slow, conscious eating but when my dad was in the hospital last month it really saved me. Just a suggestion.

Congrats again on your house selling!! Enjoy your weekend away. And, keep us up to date on the job hunt. Sending you good vibes!!!!
dollyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 224/212/140

Hi ladies,

I'd like to join you. I saw the first episode here on US television. I have the other four episodes on my DVR, but haven't watched yet. I figure I'll give myself some time to get the four golden rules down before I move onto the others.

I bought his ICMYT book with CD through amazon. It's the UK version. I guess they are bringing it here to the US next month. I plan to start listening to that CD every night as well. I'll let you all know how it goes.

For those of you who have been doing it for some time, please share any tips/suggestions for those of us who are just starting. Do you use the book, CD, TV program? How did you get started?

Thanks,
Ann
Ann72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #19  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

So I've watched all 4 episodes now and am going to go back to the beginning and watch it all over again. I am skeptical about the tapping and the turning techniques but that doesn't mean I won't try. I don't want to sound weird or something, but I don't really have "cravings" I just tend to overeat or let myself get too hungry and then it goes out the window.

I have been working on eating consciously and I find that I like that it takes me longer to finish my food. I also did some positive self talk while I was at the gym tonight and really cranked it during my cardio. I like visualising where I am going to be next week, next month, in 6 months and I have been walking a bit taller the last couple of days. So, in those respects, I think it's a great way of working towards my goals
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #20  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Well, it's the weekend and I was BAD last night. I went to the Chinese buffet and over ate. I only had one plate, which is an improvement, but I was stuffed. I really should avoid those places. Luckily I only go about once a month or longer. I don't want to feel like I blew it though. Getting back on track today.
I hope everyone else is doing well.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #21  
from Obese to Oh Baby! =)

S/C/G: 308/see ticker/200

Height: 6'0

Hey all! Start of week 5 for me & still happy! WOOHOOO lol

Lost another 3.5 pounds, for a total of 12.5 lost. LOVE it. Incoroporating exercise into my daily routine, that is VERY strange, but I feel fantastic after exercising, which is always a good thing.

Hope everyone is enjoying continued success & having a great Tuesday!
~RM
realitymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 AM   #22  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Red face Hi Joining You All!!!

Hey all , joining you here. Didn't know we had a ICMYT Thread until reading another thread. lol.

I'm Sassy, been at the 3FC's site for about 2 yrs now........haven't really lost much weight because I just could not find the right "plan" for me. Until this one came along..........

Paul McKenna is my "Hero"......he has made food not the enemy anymore for me. I still need to incorporate more exercise into my daily routines, but when I do exercise, I use his motivation technique and it does work.

Anywho...........it has made me feel a lot better about myself...........
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #23  

Hey Sassy Chick-
I feel the exact same way about Paul Mckenna that you do. It is amazing to not have to obsess over food, calories, or body issues. So glad that you found us here. It has been kinda slow around here over the last few days but maybe we can pick the conversations back up!!
So glad that you found us!!
dollyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:04 AM   #24  

WELOCOME sassy! I know exactly what ya mean about Paul being your hero, I feel the same way! I have read posts from some who say, 'That is just common sense'. Well, it becomes common sense when you KNOW the techniques. Millions of us (obviously) were raised to clean our plates, whether we were full or not & eat when meals were scheduled, whether we were hungry or not. Thanks to Paul, I am NOT raising my girls this way & I pray this will assist them in growing into healthy young women. OK, off my soapbox now! lol

I also didn't exercise in the beginning of this program (just started doing it regularly this week....3 days in a row now...WOOHOOO lol) & oh yeah, the motivation technique absolutely works. Tried the crave busting technique yet? That one works wonders too! I feel so much better physically & mentally, especially knowing that food no longer controls me, I am in control!

I second dollyfin, so glad you found us, sassy & hopefully we can keep this thread moving! I don't know about ya'll, but I love being able to communicate with others who are experiencing & utilizing the same program I am! Keeps me motivated & Lord knows I can always use that.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #25  
ddc
getting back to 140

I'm trying to teach my kids to slow down and chew their food and enjoy it, don't just scarf it down. I don't want them to obsess over food, though. I think my 8 yr old daughter is going through a growth spurt. Yesterday after school she was wanting to eat everything in the cupboards!

I'm down another pound! Woo hoo!!

Take care all
Old 04-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #26  
ddc
getting back to 140

OK, I have to stop myself, I guess?????????????
Every thread that I've read this morning in this section, I've wanted to scream from the top of my lungs: GET PAUL'S BOOK AND CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It has been such a life change for me. I think everyone should try it. His techniques may not work for everyone, but it's worth a try
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #27  

Congrats on the pound LOST ddc!

I know what ya mean about reading posts of people struggling & wanting to tell them...TRY Paul McKenna's Program! Hopefully, many of them will see a rerun of the show or happen to read our thread! Yeah, it may not work for all, but trying it means nothing to lose...but pounds!

Have a great rest of the day!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #28  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Just saying hi! I am starting today, watched the shows and was really interested but thinking it just sounded too basic, too easy.

I have to do something instead of studying everything to death. It is really hard to get his books or CD's right now but thinking they will be showing up on ebay soon. Fortunately, I have the shows on DVR so am going to watch through the ones I have seen already and get myself going. I like when he was talking about how as we go along we start making choices about foods based on what our body is asking for so we tend to eat healthier as time goes on.

Here's to everyone having a good week.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #29  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I have to say, thinking about what Paul says... especially eating consciously has really changed how I'm eating for the most part. It took me AGES to finish dinner tonight... I'm just trying to savour everything and really enjoy it. Yesterday we went out to eat and I decided to eat what I want and stop when I was full. It was the first time in a long time I ate out and just didn't WORRY about whether I "should" or "shouldn't" have something. I'm totally making REAL choices for myself and being particular about what I really want.

I'm still following WW but I love the things he's said.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #30  

Height: 5'4"

Yay Renee! That's great!

I've found my own cue for slowing down. Lately I've been noticing a lot that I'm gulping down food, like it takes a real effort for me to swallow my food. That means I'm eating too fast, so I slow down and really chew before swallowing. That should be a no-brainer, but this is still my big insight for the week. It's the easiest thing I've found to give me immediate feedback on whether I'm eating too fast, and since it's uncomfortable to gulp food down I now find it pleasurable to slow down!

I think I might have found some help to get me going on the activity issue. I work at a university and the kinesiology department is starting a study to encourage long-term physical activity change. I just know being enrolled in that will make me more accountable for physical activity. I will get a free pedometer and can even make $40 through the course of the study! And I'm a bit of a research junkie so I'm excited to actually be part of a research program. It starts tomorrow!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote