Old 04-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Default Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition (CRON)

Anyone ever try (or is doing) calorie restriction (CR)? I am reading the book The Longevity Diet and it's really great. CR is the only thing ever proven over and over to increase healthy years and lifespan. While I am no where near the age of thinking of extending my life to 120, I am interested in this approach to weight loss.

So far I've been on the plan for 6 days and it's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, in that someone is telling me to JUST STOP EATING SO FRIGGIN MUCH. I am actually tired of all these diet plans telling me I should be eating at least 1500-1800 calories a day to lose weight. I know for a fact if I eat between 1100-1300 calories it just pours off me... if I can stick to calories that low. Now my mom and my aunt are skinny (110lbs) naturally, but not boney, and they have always looked fabulous. That's why I like this plan- they've always eaten low calories (think 1100-1200 per day), b/c that's how they naturally are. It just doesn't make sense that if I want to look like them I should be eating 1500 calories.

Anywho, there were times in the past few days when I was hungry, but it was very peaceful having an excuse to ignore it, or reaching for a cup of tea instead of food. This is just my experience with it. Haven't weighed myself but my jeans feel looser, and I feel more 'feminine' finally eating small amounts of food! I just have to tweak my diet a little bit to make sure I'm getting all my nutrients.

Anyone else ever try this, or is on the plan?
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #2  
aka Anne Marie

S/C/G: 232/222/145

Height: 5'8"

Bump! I'm wondering about this, too!
principessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #3  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I'm sorry, but how is this different from calorie counting? Is it just that you're eating fewer calories than is typically recommended?

I lose on 1500-1700 daily. I need that much to fuel my exercise and activity. But then again, I'm aiming to be strong and healthy, not dainty!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #4  
aka Anne Marie

The difference is the optimal nutrition part, from what I understand. The goal is to get alllllll of the nutrients you need, but in the minimum amount of calories. So, you have to focus on nutrition-packed foods, rather than just getting your daily calories from chocolate, bread and cheese, which is how I tend to like to get mine...
Old 05-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Here is the (scientifically proven, at least) deal on CRON.

1. It works for longevity (ie, following CRON, if you are truly following it perfectly, can make an appreciable difference in your lifespan. It also works for weight loss.
2. Most people can't stick to it long enough to see results, either in weight loss or in life span.
3. The approach is not without risks - see this link for details.
http://www.calorierestriction.org/Risks
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 AM   #6  
aka Anne Marie

Mandalinn, your "location" is my home town! I don't live there anymore, but my parents still do, and I love going home to visit. Best little town anywhere, IMO! Congratulations on meeting your goal!

The little bit of reading I've done about CRON is that, if you are truly interested in trying it, you should start with the Optimal Nutrition part first and ease into the calorie restriction part. Totally the opposite of most diet plans, which want you to count calories and restrict intake first, and worry about nutrition as a secondary issue. But CRON was not really designed as a weight loss plan, it was designed as a life-extension tool, so the approach is totally different.

I think my focus right now is more on weight loss than on life extension, but because I have some health issues, CRON, or at least the ON part of it, is very appealing to me. Making sure that I'm getting all the nutrients I need each day seems like kind of a positive, life-affirming thing to do.