Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #31  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've tweaked my plan quite a bit since joining TOPS about a year ago. I believe I was doing South Beach when I started, or shortly after.

For me, I found that South Beach was great for me for maintaining my weight (never gained an ounce), but that it was difficult for me to lose, because even "good carbs" were trigger foods for me. I didn't want to go too low carb, as when I did that, I felt dizzy, weak, and nauseous. So, I chose to use an exchange plan for portion control.

My advice to anyone who wanted to try South Beach (for what little my advice is worth), is to try it according to the book. If it works for you, that's wonderful, but if you find that you need a back-up for portion control you can add in some kind of counting (exchanges, calories, Weight Watcher points, whatever).

I think that in general, the "whole foods," approach is a wonderful one, so I wasn't willing to give up what I'd learned from South Beach. I don't avoid sweet corn, watermelon, or (fresh) pineapple as the book suggests, because they still fit in my vision of "whole foods," and don't appear to adversely affect my weight loss. Every summer I have a bit of a corn and watermelon binge or two, and lose rather than gain weight on it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi Patricia

Since I am new to TOPS (1st meeting was last week) I am still basically following weight watchers flex plan, but tracking calories as well.

If I do well this week, I will continue like this for awhile, if not will be looking into other plans. BUt I do need portion control of some sort.

Hope you all are doing well.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #33  

Default Has anyone tried the TOPS planThe Choice is Mine?

Has anyone tried the eating plan The Choice is MIne? I have the book and I was thinking about maybe trying this.Thanks for your help
Patricia
patricia54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #34  

I have the book too, and I refer to it often. I've used it both exactly as it is written in the book, and also with a bit of tweaking (after I discovered that I do better on a lower carb plan). Not only the diet advice, but also the exercise and healthy lifestyle information is really good too. I can't say I've read it cover to cover, but it's a great resource, I think.

I copied some of the food list pages and shrunk them down to fit in an 8.5 by 5.5 dayplanner that I keep all of my weight loss stuff in.

I also copied and shrunk the food lists I found on tops.org and hillbilly housewife, and I bought the book "Exchanges for All Occasions," on amazon.com.

How I changed the plan from the book is that I took the 1500 calorie exchange plan in the book swapped out a couple starch exchanges for protein exchanges (about the same calories) and those are my "required" exchanges and then the extra exchanges needed to make the 1800 calorie plan I made "optional exchanges" so I could eat a little more on days I was hungrier.

I've found that all exchange plans seem to use the same information on what constitutes a particular exchange. While one plan's 1500 plan may have more protein exchanges and less fruit or carb choices, what constitutes a fruit serving or a protein exchange is pretty consistent. This is great, because you can then use ANY cookbook that uses exchanges (The Choice is Mine, Healthy Exchanges, Weight Watcher's before 1994, Richard Simmons,
many diabetic cookbooks...).
Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 PM   #35  

I'm back from my TOPS meeting tonight. I presented my afghan contest idea, and everyone loved it. That's exciting. We'll start it next week.

I'm down two more pounds. Yippee. Only 3 more pounds and I'll hit the 60 lbs lost mark. I've only lost more than 60 lbs once (70 lbs, with prescription amphetemines) once, and have lost 60 lbs exactly, twice. So, I feel like I'm approaching a personal "record." I don't know, part of me half believes that I won't prove to myself that I can "really" do this until I beat that 70 lb record.

It makes no sense to my rational mind, but I'm getting weirded-out nonetheless. I don't see myself saboutaging myself, it's just like a feeling that I'm getting close to uncharted waters that has me a bit discombobulated.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-15-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I'm back from my TOPS meeting tonight. I presented my afghan contest idea, and everyone loved it. That's exciting. We'll start it next week.

I'm down two more pounds. Yippee. Only 3 more pounds and I'll hit the 60 lbs lost mark. I've only lost more than 60 lbs once (70 lbs, with prescription amphetemines) once, and have lost 60 lbs exactly, twice. So, I feel like I'm approaching a personal "record." I don't know, part of me half believes that I won't prove to myself that I can "really" do this until I beat that 70 lb record.

It makes no sense to my rational mind, but I'm getting weirded-out nonetheless. I don't see myself saboutaging myself, it's just like a feeling that I'm getting close to uncharted waters that has me a bit discombobulated.
Exciting stuff!!!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #37  

Kaplods - congrats on your loss. You are doing great! Keep up the good work.

I have my 2nd meeting tomorrow & really hoping for some kind of loss.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #38  

Hi ladies

I was down 3.25# last night, so was very happy about that.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 262/see bar/150

Height: 5"6

I'm thinking of trying TOPS. OA didn't seem to do it for me, and WW is too expensive. Of course, don't it just figure i would find out about it the night after their local weekly meet.
mistypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #40  

I love TOPS. Our chapter, too, has many of the silly games and such. I love it because everyone in the group has the same goal. There are ladies on WW, Protein Power, Atkins and SB. I am on the Serotonin Power Diet due to some issues I have with depression. Generally, its all a lot of fun and costs very little. I go because I like the weigh-in part and we usually have a group discussion on tips to help our weight loss. Its a great reinforcer for continued weight loss. The fines are 5 cents at our Chapter. Not everyone contributes as much as others for the games, as we are near a retirement home and there are some members on a strict budget. Its a lot of fun for me, and a chance to get out of the house for some "me" time and to concentrate on losing weight and eating healthier.
Gr82bthin is offline   Reply With Quote