Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #1  

Default Please rate my daily food consumption :)

Alright, so I think I've found a pretty steady diet for me but I wanna know what you all thank about it as for a diet. This is on average what I eat just about everyday...

For breakfast I have...
1 AdvantEDGE chocolate fudge drink, "my off brand slimfast if you will", lol (17g protein, 3g fat, and 110 calories)
A tiny bowl of fruit from a fruit salad mix

For my first snack of the day I have...(if I'm home and not at college which is Monday, Wednesay, Friday, and the weekend)
Either a small handful of walnuts, or 1 cup of Activia yogurt (5g protein, 2g fat, and 11o calories)

If I'm at school I just carry with me a special K bar to serve as both my second snack AND my lunch for that day. (2g protein, 1.5g fat, and 90 calories)

For lunch (if I'm home) I have...
1 can of chunky tomato soup and maybe some fruit from the fruit salad depending on how hungry i am

Snack 2 of the day I have a orange soy protein shake (orange juice, 1 egg, small handful of walnuts, soy protein, and whey powder)

For dinner I have 2 lean cut chicken breasts grilled, and maybe a little bowl of canned peas. Possibly with some fruit.

For my 3rd snack and least eat of the day, I have either another cup of Activia yogurt or another handful of walnuts.

So what do you think of my diet? Please let me know if I should change anything, add or subtract anything. Thank you sooooo much in advance!!!
Coryo61827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #2  

Oh! And I drink nothing but water and green tea all day every day, with the OCCASIONAL diet soda at school.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

How tall are you? How much do you weigh now? I don't know you, but it doesn't seem like enough food. Then again, maybe I'm just a pig, lol!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #4  

Yea, I thought I didn't eat enough either but I'm trying to keep my calorie intake very low so I can burn that fat. Especially right now cause I have a hurt toe and it hurts to do any exercise on my feet, even simply walking around so until that's better I can only lift weights (which you can only do so much of before you're too sore and wanna die, haha) so I have to be very strict on my calorie intake right now.

But I'm 6'2", and about...205 pounds. I wanna get down to about 185-175.

What do you think?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

I'd like the same info that chicky asked for. But, I can tell you about what I see as/is.

I see... a number of processed foods, not a lot of variety...

There's fruit throughout the day, that's fantastic.

The best thing I can think of is that you may want to add more food and subtract a few bars/shakes/powders. Also, you could bolster some meals/snacks with cut up vegetables.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryo61827 View Post
Yea, I thought I didn't eat enough either but I'm trying to keep my calorie intake very low so I can burn that fat. Especially right now cause I have a hurt toe and it hurts to do any exercise on my feet, even simply walking around so until that's better I can only lift weights (which you can only do so much of before you're too sore and wanna die, haha) so I have to be very strict on my calorie intake right now.

But I'm 6'2", and about...205 pounds. I wanna get down to about 185-175.

What do you think?
We all like to keep our calorie intake low enough to lose weight, but sometimes we forget that if it's too low it can hinder our weight loss and hurt our bodies. You might have to deal with the fact that right now, as your toe heals, you may lose a little less than usual. But, if you keep eating right, and lifting you WILL lose those 20 lbs.

Your end result weight range seems perfectly healthy.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #7  
I will do this.

It's true...too few calories can make weight-loss very hard.

Also if you get bored with walnuts, try almonds.

Instead of that shake for breakfast crack open a boiled egg and have some fruit...I also enjoy kashi cereal.

You can also drink diet ice tea, crystal lite and other forms of drinks instead of just water and green tea...you may get bored with that.

Also try fish for dinner...and for lunch you could take left-overs from last nights dinner...thats what I do when I go to school.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Do you ever do any whole grains, like cereal, bread, etc? Or are you on a lower carb diet?
I think your end goal is good. I'm 6' even, and I'm aiming for 170....
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #9  

Well I have a weird dilemma because my parents moved into my grandparents house to help take care of them, and so I basically keep ALL my groceries in my room because I'm in the basement and my older brother lives upstairs and he's a slob who never cleans up after himself so the kitchen is always disgusting looking, makes me lose my appetite. That's why I can't cook foods like eggs and what not. So I keep as much food (which isn't a lot) possible in my little tiny fridge that I keep in my room, and I have a microwave in here too. But since I'm int he basement, it seems like grains get moldy extremely quickly down here so if I don't eat an entire loaf of bread in one day I'll become skeptical if it's still safe to eat.

So I'm working with a diet of very limited options. Even the protein shake only comes in when I take my little brother to my grandparents house (he lives with my parents at my grandparents house) when he gets home from school.

Thank you all sooooo much for your input. I could use plenty more ideas though given my circumstances. Like...what about wheat thins or something? I could easily store those in a dresser in my room or something.

Also, I feel I should also add that I don't eat ANYTHING with high fructose corn syrup as long as I'm in control of what I'm eating. And as for the diet I'm doing, I'm doing the abs diet. I LOVE IT! Definitely not a low carb diet cause being honest, I love carbs, haha. My family calls me a bread addict cause I loooooove bread. :-D

Last edited by Coryo61827; 04-03-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #10  
Chillin' like a villian

S/C/G: 341/289.5/176

Height: 5'7"

Since you're eating canned veggies, I would suggest rinsing them out for quite a while to try and help get rid of some of the sodium (there's always more sodium in canned/processed foods).

You might want to store your bread in the little fridge too. It will stay fresher longer and if you don't like eating it cold, you can always toast it a little. I always leave my bread in the fridge and it takes MONTHS for it start growing anything.

I would also try having more leafy greens if possible. Are you taking a multivitamin? You should probably add one in if you aren't just to help make up some of the nutrients you probably aren't getting.

Good luck!!
angierue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I can def. see you have a challenge there. I'm trying to think back to my college dorm days and what might be easy for you to make/keep in a limited space with limited resources.

Is there any place near your school that has a salad bar? Maybe a couple days a week you can hit the salad bar for lunch and load up on dark leafy greens (baby spinach, mixed greens, etc.) and things like sweet peppers, tomatoes, etc. Skip the heavy dressings and just give a shake of olive oil and red wine vinegar over the top instead.

Also a good high protein snack that you can keep in your room and stick in the microwave - edamame. I buy them frozen in the pod/shell, nuke them for a couple of minutes, and then snack on them while I'm reading or watching TV in the evenings. Yummy and filling and good for you.

Also you can cook scrambled eggs in the microwave - it's pretty easy and they come out quite nice, actually. You could buy a 1/2 dozen eggs at a time (they dont' need to be kept refrigerated) and scramble 2 quickly in the microwave for breakfast a couple of mornings a week.

Also for breakfasts, how about instant oatmeal? Quaker regular organic has no sugar or HFC. You could mix up a packet of that with water from an electric kettle (and if you don't have an electric kettle - get one - they rock and are good for so much more than just boiling water. you should be able to get one for less than $20 from Target).

If you can, substitute an apple for the k-bars for one of your snacks during the day - at least a couple of times a week.

Hmmm... what else?

I definitely agree with the advice to rinse your canned veggies well. Oh, also don't forget canned beans. One of my favorite "salads" is a can of black beans, a can of corn, a small container of picante sauce, all mixed together. That's a lunch salad for me - 1/2 on one day, and 1/2 on another. It's a little carb heavy, but it's also full of protein and vitamins. (I try to load all my carbs into my morning and noon meals and eat fewer carbs at night ... works better for me that way.)

Or even just a can of beans well rinsed, slightly mashed, and heated up, then rolled into a whole wheat tortilla. Start with that as a base and add whatever else you can find or are in the mood for - lettuce, canned tomatoes, whatever. That makes a nice portable lunch as well.

I think this is definitely a challenge, but look at it as an exercise in creativity.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote