3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Intuitive Eating #7--April~June 08 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/138620-intuitive-eating-7-april%7Ejune-08-a.html)

carolr3639 06-25-2008 10:48 AM

Jerie, I don't read much in the diabetic thread but I was wondering if you WOE is something new or other diabetics are being instructed in the same way? I had a bad day yesterday. We have 2 big strawberry patches and I had to wash and freeze a great many. I don't know if eating too many of them was the culprit but I felt achey and tired all day. I thought I ate pretty balance the rest of the day but sure don't know what went wrong.

Truffle 06-26-2008 01:44 PM

Jerie, congratulations on the great blood work and weight loss! I wish there was more talk of weight loss on the other board too, if by the other board you mean the Yahoo Group.

I'm interested in finding out when "old age" starts, lol, in regards to having no energy. I'm going to be 52 in August, and still consider myself quite young. But I really don't know how much of my zero-energy is due to my CFS, and how much is due to natural aging. Are there many of us 50-somethings here? Of course, how much of this lack of energy is due to dragging around over a hundred pounds extra too? :rolleyes:

Each day this week I've started off trying to low carb, and have blown it before lunch time. Will I *ever* learn that this does not work for me, no matter how much I want it to?

I think I need to drag myself away from the scale again too. I'm back down the three pounds again, but hopping on the scale every day doesn't do a thing. It's just frustrating and discouraging. You'd think I'd learn...

Carol, this is the second season for our own strawberry patch. We'll probably get a small bowl of berries, but not much more than that. I can't wait 'til the patch fills in more and starts producing enough for me to freeze some. :)

carolr3639 06-26-2008 03:54 PM

Hi Becky,

I'm 59 and I have been tired for years. ha! But I always blamed my 10 kids and sarcoidosis so I don't really know. Lately, I've been trying to cut back on refined carbs and felt great but this week for the first 4 days I'm back to no energy, headaches, etc. Sometimes I just can't figure it out. It's really hot here now for the first time this summer. We don't have central air and the heat kind of bothers me. I have been taking prednisone for 3 yr. and wonder about that, too, but the dr. says there's nothing new on my disease. Same story as 30 yr. ago. I love that Bible verse, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Phil. 4:13 I really need that.

soiley 06-26-2008 05:09 PM

Sorry to be so long in answering your question Carol. When I say I don't eat any special way, it's kinda true and kinda not. I do try to eat only 45-60 grams of carb at one meal. I'm diabetic 39 years now and I pretty much know the diabetic exchange system by heart, so based on what I'm eating I know the approx. carb grams. That doesn't stop me from eat a higher carb meal once in awhile, as long as I cover it with the proper amt of insulin. This is what my CDE and I worked out that would work for ME. Other people may not be successful or do something altogether different or more structured.

I'm 62 and some days I feel 80 and some days I feel 30. I've had such a horrid past two days, right at this minute I feel 180. Started out yesterday having yet more AC trouble (on our 12th day in a row of having temps of 110 or more). I called the repairman and while waiting for him, my electricity went off. I went around checking circuit breakers etc. and was hearing some noise and discovered a fan was running in one of the rooms. So I had about 1/2 my house with power and half without. I called the power company to see if they would tell me what I shoud do. They sent a guy over to check to see if there was anything wrong in the circuit box. He told me something was burning in it & shut the electricity off and told me I really should get it fixed as soon as possible. Of course I canceled the AC guy, and after calling about 10 electricians I finally got one that would come that day. (one of them told me they could get someone over friday, and i asked if they heard me say the word "burning".) To make a long story short, the main and the submain were burned up and the circuit box is so old (i've lived in the house 30 yrs, and it was here when we moved in) they were having trouble finding parts to fix it. So I salvaged what I could out of the freezer & went to my son's house to sleep. They did find parts and finally got the power back on around noon today. So, got the AC guy back and after checking the unit comes in and says "you're not going to like it". You never want to hear that from a repairman. The compressor in the AC suffered a fatal injury, and IT'S so old, again they can't get parts. So I get to buy a new air unit. The good news is, it's more energy efficient and will save me money on my mthly bills, the bad news $5000. So in the course of 3 days I will have spent $7000, as well as losing everything in the fridge and a lot of stuff in the freezer because my son only had a small amout of room to put stuff in. Then I go to log on and transfer some money from my savings to my checking, and there's something wrong with my router and I can't log on with the laptop. So I'm here on my old clunker pc that has about 0 memory left, hoping this will post. I just hope these troubles don't come in 3's. Some weeks you just shouldn't get out of bed. :lol:

Sure hope the rest of you are having a better time than I am.

carolr3639 06-27-2008 10:35 AM

Jerie, What a time you've had! I'd think you'd move up north. ha! I just can't hardly take the heat anymore. At least now you should be cool for a longgggggggg time. My DH has a cousin that lives in Surprise, AZ. He was from San Fransico before that so the heat really gets to him, too. It's finally raining here today so things should cool off for a couple of days. Only good thing about the heat is that it takes away the appetite. I finally made a discovery yesterday and you'll thinks this is funny. I have such a time trying to figure out what to order at McDonalds. A happy meal isn't quite enough and I love Big and Tasty meals but that's too much. I always order ice tea but lately I think it has been affecting me adversely. So yesterday I ordered a Big and Tasty...just the burger.... a small fry and ice water with lemon..........perfect and cheaper than the meal.

soiley 06-27-2008 02:43 PM

Great thinking for your food choices Carol. When you fit the food perfectly to your hunger, I think it always tastes better too.

They are here installing the new AC now, so hopefully I will get cooled off soon. I did have the evaporative cooler after the electric came back on, but it really only cools well when the humidity is low. For the past 2 wks, it has been 3 - 9% so the cooler was working well. Since Tues has been in the 30's so it hasn't been helping much.

You are so right about heat and appetite. The first day I ate 1/2 bagel in spurts all day, until I went to my son's house where I ate 1 piece of pizza & 2 or 3 bites of his birthday cake. Yesterday I bought a breakfast burrito on the way back to my house (no electric to fix anything) and I finally finished it for supper. If I could just have that kind of appetite, but not be so hot.....!

How long has your cousin lived here? I've lived here on and off since 1956, and you really do become more tolerant to the heat. It's just with no cooling it kills, literally. Every summer there are numerous deaths of the homeless people in Phoenix. Just as they have freezing deaths in the east in the winter. I stay in this part of AZ because no tornados, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, not too many big rainstorms, no snow. Well, you get the picture. There is the heat, but as long as you're not having cooling problems, that's livable. Also dust storms, but most people are smart enough not to try to drive in them. You get smart and learn to do outside stuff early or late - not in the heat of the day.

carolr3639 06-27-2008 06:48 PM

I think the cousin has lived there less than 10 yr. but the yr. fly by. They have 2 kids in Calif. so I could hardly believed they moved. They had a small house and got more than 10 times as much as they paid for it 25 yr. before and built a really nice one in AZ. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved back but I'm sure they had their reasons. A friend brought over this gorgeous strawberry pie she made for us because we give her strawberries from our patches. That was our supper. ha! I have to go to a baby shower soon so hope the food isn't too good.

carolr3639 06-28-2008 06:47 PM

Didn't have such a good day today. Spent all morning cooking for a meeting tomorrow for about 100 people. I did have a helper, though.....my DIl. So I had a grapefruit, a piece of peanut butter toast, some avacado, some soup....just picked and then ate a cadbury bar with almonds. I really wasnt full but should have paid more attention because I never really felt satisfied. Now my DH will want supper and I'm not really hungry. Oh well, maybe I'll just fix him something and not eat. Not likely, though. I need to go get some exericise beside moving the sprinkler every hour. ha!

runnin' momma 06-29-2008 10:37 PM

Hey ladies,
Does anyone notice how their IE affects those around them? Lately when I am with my mom and we eat she notices what I am eating. Then she chooses to eat the bad stuff and the whole time she is moaning, "Oh, I shouldn't eat this." When she is done she says, "I feel so sick." I just want to say, "Quit stuffing your face!" I don't respond to what she says because I am not responsible for how she eats, just me. When I have tried to talk to her about IE in the past, she always has some excuse that she just loves food too much, blah, blah, blah. Then she says she wants me to go to the gym with her and give her a workout routine. That would be great. I like to train people, but then she won't do it and will complain about why she can't lose weight. I am just frustrated because she is tired of her weight and then talks about it while she is scarfing down cake. I still eat goodies too, but in moderation. Pizza buffet is now 2 slices of pizza and a salad- not skip the salad and eat as many slices as possible.
Sorry to complain. It is just hard to be around someone who is being negative and reinforcing the poor choices. If she would quit looking for the magic fix and be sensible!

carolr3639 06-30-2008 10:05 AM

Hi Kay, My son is always trying to get me to let him get me in shape. ha! He's only 20 so never had to fight the battle of the bulge yet. I still eat things like avacado and occasionally a really good sweet roll but maybe only one and he thinks I shouldn't be eating those things. He hasn't noticed that I have lost 20 to 30 lb in the last 2 yr. He only thinks about the 40 I have left. I just smile when he gets on my case. So that might be your problem in reverse. Sometimes I wish it would come off faster but I know it wouldn't be permanent then.

Shay 06-30-2008 10:46 PM

Hi everyone,
I haven't been on in about a week. I'm trying to catch up everywhere. I am doing okay with IE. I would like to make better choices.

Congrats on the weightloss Jerie & runnin' momma!

I tried to change the title of the thread to keep it going longer but it didn't work. I will start a new one--Intuitive Eating #8 but won't time limit it.

Shay 07-01-2008 12:13 AM

Here is the link to the new thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145212

Rita Hancock MD 07-07-2008 04:38 PM

A Christian medical doctor's thoughts

Hello,

Carolr3639 suggested that I post here since my weight loss philosophy seems to jive pretty well with yours. I'm all about attuning to your inner hunger signals as the key to knowing WHEN to eat. But I'm not all about using fullness signals, since they're harder to judge.

Here's the deal: I'm Christian, and I'm not sure if I'll offend anybody by talking about my faith as it relates to what you call intuitive eating. If so, please let me know, because that's certainly not my intent. I can easily start a new thread and would have no hard feelings about it.

Also, I'm aware that two ladies (I think they're nutritionists) actually coined that phrase "intuitive eating," and they may even have a copyright or trademark on it. Since I also wrote a book, something tells me that I should be careful posting under that name. They might think I'm encroaching on their turf, when the truth is I have never even read their book.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would be best if I just started a new thread on the subject. That way, there will be no confusion as to whose ideas are being discussed, and I'd be less likely to offend anyone who doesn't want to hear about religion.

In response to the steroid question that I was asked earlier on the other thread, I thought I would answer here......Yes, steroids make it much harder to lose weight. However, in certain instances, it's the lesser of two evils and you have to suck it up and take them. Your doctor should be able to advise you on when they're necessary and when they're optional.

Regarding weight loss, I'd ask yourself if you had weight control issues before needing the steroids. If yes, then perhaps some small part of your weight issues are related to emotional eating or other unnecessary eating, even if most of the problem is the steroids. In that case, you might be able to change your habits a little and lose a little weight. However, if you never had weight issues until you started the steroids, you might not be able to do much about your weight. In that case, you might just have to become more okay with those physical side-effects of the steroids--the weight gain. I wish I had something better to tell you, but I don't. Steroids are a double-edged sword. I'm sorry. But please don't take that as medical advice. Ask your doctor.

Rita Hancock MD 07-07-2008 04:42 PM

A Christian medical doctor's thoughts

Hello,

Carolr3639 suggested that I post here since my weight loss philosophy seems to jive pretty well with yours. I'm all about attuning to your inner hunger signals as the key to knowing WHEN to eat. But I'm not all about using fullness signals, since they're harder to judge.

Here's the deal: I'm Christian, and I'm not sure if I'll offend anybody by talking about my faith as it relates to what you call intuitive eating. If so, please let me know, because that's certainly not my intent. I can easily start a new thread and would have no hard feelings about it.

Also, I'm aware that two ladies (I think they're nutritionists) actually coined that phrase "intuitive eating," and they may even have a copyright or trademark on it. Since I also wrote a book, something tells me that I should be careful posting under that name. They might think I'm encroaching on their turf, when the truth is I have never even read their book.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would be best if I just started a new thread on the subject. That way, there will be no confusion as to whose ideas are being discussed, and I'd be less likely to offend anyone who doesn't want to hear about religion.

In response to the steroid question that I was asked earlier......Yes, steroids make it much harder to lose weight. However, in certain instances, it's the lesser of two evils and you have to suck it up and take them. Your doctor should be able to advise you on when they're necessary and when they're optional.

Regarding weight loss, I'd ask yourself if you had weight control issues before needing the steroids. If yes, then perhaps some small part of your weight issues are related to emotional eating or other unnecessary eating, even if most of the problem is the steroids. In that case, you might be able to change your habits a little and lose a little weight. However, if you never had weight issues until you started the steroids, you might not be able to do much about your weight. In that case, you might just have to become more okay with those physical side-effects of the steroids. I wish I had something better to tell you, but I don't. Steroids are a double-edged sword. I'm sorry.

Rita Hancock MD 07-07-2008 04:42 PM

By the way, how do you start a new thread?