3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Portion sizes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/135029-portion-sizes.html)

starofsorrow 02-21-2008 11:37 AM

Portion sizes

I was looking through my new program booklet, and it said that a small banana counts as one fruit (I'm assuming), but what is small? I don't really have a scale at work, so I just grabbed a regular-size banana from the school cafeteria and ate that for my midmorning snack.

I'm counting it as one fruit, but should it be two since it's a regular size banana, or is that a small banana?

And I'm sure this question has been asked many, many, many times before...how do you know what color plan you're on? I'm still slightly confused about the color plans, especially after reading more about them on this board. =)

bradleys mom 02-21-2008 11:48 AM

I think that a small banana is 4 oz peeled. (Numbered plans)

And I have no clue what to tell you about the plans. If it is numbered all I know is that it is generally based on your height, weight, and whether or not you use the lites...

starofsorrow 02-21-2008 12:15 PM

Ah, all right, thank you!!! =) I guess it is true that the first week is often the most confusing. =)

AngieH75 02-21-2008 01:04 PM

I'm on the "old" LAWL plan (colors versus numbered plans i.e. gold with lites) and my book says that a 1/2 of a small banana counts as one fruit.

If I remember what my counsler told me long ago - it's basically half a banana = one fruit.
Hope that helps a little?

I have a question about portion sizes also - I found these great little treats called Quakes, they're mini rice cakes made by Quaker and less than 100 calories in a serving size. The serving size varies on what flavor you get, but 6 - 7 mini's per serving.
How many mini's would you count as a starch? My book states one full size rice cake as 1S.
So I've been counting 4 -5 as one starch.
Thoughts?

Thanks!

starofsorrow 02-21-2008 01:34 PM

Ooohs, I think I'm on the NEW plan, then. it's Plan 4. So I guess that makes more sense for me now!!!

And thanks, Angie. I was wondering about that, because I was under the impression that one full size banana will count as two fruits...maybe I should doublecheck with my counselor tomorrow to be absolutely sure. =)

And for you, Angie. My book states that for mini rice cakes, 6 will count as one starch, and you should consume those infrequently because they're not as high in fiber as the other starches. Hope that helps! =)

Jrny2aNewMe 02-21-2008 03:12 PM

Star - As Kimberly mentioned, on the numbered plans 1 small banana is equal to 4 oz, which is a very small banana. I find most "average" bananas are at least 6 oz. On the old colored plans 1 small banana counted as 2 fruits.

Angie - I have found that pretty much anything that counts as 100 calories you can count as 1 starch, this includes the 100 calorie chocolate bars, Quaker Crispy Delights, ice cream cups, etc.

BarbaraB 02-21-2008 03:16 PM

I think the old colored plans had a medium banana as 2 fruit servings. The new ones have shifted to one small banana as a whole fruit serving. I always had an issue with the whole "small" thing, as how small is small. One small potato can be highly different sizes depending on who you ask. Do I try to keep the fruit servings around the 50-70 calorie range and the starches under 100, and if I'm trying to go light under 70 calories per serving, but that is just me and not any LAWL rule. So for 50 calories that would be half of a large banana, or maybe 70 calories would be a whole small one...

traceym1 02-21-2008 07:04 PM

How is everyone doing on the Numbered Plans? I have all the info on the number plans but am wondering if they are just as effective as the Color Plans. When they place on a numbered plan do they take into consideration whether you exercise and work some late hours like they do they color plan? I am 5'7 153lbs and would like to get down to 140 or 130. My exercise program does use alot of energy so I do get hungry? Advice? Thank you

Tracey

AngieH75 02-22-2008 01:55 PM

Thank you starofsarrow and Jrny2aNewMe!
I will make sure I don't eat them all the time!