3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Veganism? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/134166-veganism.html)

grapefruitisgrody 02-11-2008 04:38 PM

Veganism?

So I have decided that once my meat products (have been low carbing) have dwindled, we're going to try being Vegans. My husband didn't eat meat when I met him, so I think I can get him on board with it. He has high cholesterol and I think this sounds pretty healthy. If anyone has any thoughts on issues I haven't thought about, let me know. Anything sounds healthier than the eggs, cheese, and sausage we've been eating. :p (BTW I've been exhausted and generally feel pretty icky.)

Here's what I imagine our diet to be like:

breakfast:
granola bar
piece of fruit
soy milk

lunch:
salad with an oil based dressing
fake lunchmeat sandwich on whole grain bread
small bag of potato chips for my husband since he'll feel less like he's dieting

snack:
hummous with carrot or celery sticks

dinner:
vegan lentil soup or chili
organic tortilla chips
multivitamin
oj or v8

snack:
tofu or rice based "ice cream"

Thoughts?

zenor77 02-11-2008 06:47 PM

My first thought is that finding a vegan granola bar will be difficult unless you make them yourself (I could be wrong.) As far as I know, honey is not considered vegan and most granola bars contain at least some honey.

My next thought is that you should add more veggies and whole grains. Also, I would limit the non-dairy ice cream to an occasional treat not an everyday food.

That said, I'm not vegan. Although I very rarely eat meat, I do eat dairy and eggs. There are several very knowledgeable vegans on 3fc that I'm sure will have more info for you then I do.

grapefruitisgrody 02-11-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenor77 (Post 2049696)
My first thought is that finding a vegan granola bar will be difficult unless you make them yourself (I could be wrong.) As far as I know, honey is not considered vegan and most granola bars contain at least some honey.

My next thought is that you should add more veggies and whole grains. Also, I would limit the non-dairy ice cream to an occasional treat not an everyday food.

That said, I'm not vegan. Although I very rarely eat meat, I do eat dairy and eggs. There are several very knowledgeable vegans on 3fc that I'm sure will have more info for you then I do.

Actually, certain bars do not contain honey -- it's usually evaporated cane sugar. I think Clif and Luna bars both are vegan, for example.

I could easily add more veggies and whole grains.... stir frys, Kashi stuff...

I think that other than the cheese missing, this should be pretty easy to do. Of course, I'll miss cream cheese and butter... but right now I miss bread and potatoes. ;)

Spiritmagejkt 02-13-2008 09:56 AM

Has a lot of processed food in it. I would balance the food better and only use high quality stuff that isn't processed. Edemae instead of " fake meat" real beans that you have to cook and totally unprocessed grains. If I ate that I'd gain weight on it. Also I'd use different kinds of beans. I've not had good luck with vegan diets but thats just a personal experience.

SoulBliss 02-13-2008 10:00 AM

Congratulations on making a great choice.

I'd suggest more whole foods, more vegetables and fruits, legumes and beans.

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? They usually have 5 or 6 different types of vegan granola bars AND a dozen vegan Cliff/Luna bars and if you intend on using these, they are less expensive here.

nelie 02-13-2008 01:39 PM

I agree with adding more whole foods. Luna bars are great and I believe all of them are vegan. Clif nectar bars are also great. Although I only really use bars for 'snack attacks'.

Although I probably eat a bit unusually, I can show you a sample menu of mine.

Breakfast - spinach smoothie (smoothie made with spinach, celery, carrots and fruit)

Lunch - Salad topped with a mock tuna salad (mashed chickpeas and tuna salad fixings)

Dinner - Salad, Lentils or Bean dish, veggie side and brown rice.

Dessert - Berries with soy yogurt or a piece of dark chocolate

Snacks throughout the day - fruit, popcorn, carrot sticks, celery sticks, etc.

Alternative breakfast - Pumpkin oatmeal (oatmeal made with pumpkin puree and spices)

Alternative lunch - mock tuna salad sandwich

Eating out - I tend to eat out once a week, usually at a vegan friendly restaurant (usually a 100% vegan restaurant).

My advice would be to stay mostly away from the fake meats, they are pretty expensive and I think you can make something that tastes better. A hummus/veggie sandwich or what not instead. Although if you like fake meats and think it will ease your transition, then go for it.