I'm wavering......

• I don't know what it is today, but I am having lots of thoughts about "off-plan" foods. I'm really having a hard time staying motivated.

I know that I'm tired b/c I got off schedule this week w/ an unplanned overnight trip w/ friends. But I'm craving stuff that I haven't craved this whole time......like fast food.

I'm concerned, especially going into the weekend.
  • Come on Jill, you can do this! There is no reason to fall off the wagon. Go back and read what you wrote yesterday about "Light bulb" moments. You ARE strong, you ARE motivated. This is one of those great opportunities to help you figure out how to make this plan work with real life. When you have gotten through the weekend with flying colors and post back that you made it, you will be so proud of yourself. And your strength will build more and more with each accomplishment. I will even make you a deal. I have been thinking that on the Superbowl I made slip a little here or there. If you will commit to me that you will be POP all weekend, I will too. Do we have a deal?
  • Jill..

We all go through this, no matter how long or short the time we've been on the program... It happens and you just have to resign yourself to it...

It all boils down to your mental toughness, especially when presented with the opportunity to stray off plan... It's easy to call upon the gods of "willpower" to give you the strength, but when it comes right down it, it's more what you REALLY WANT...

Willpower is overrated.. Because when we do end up giving in, we end up feeling like crap, both physically and emotionally.. We kick ourselves again and again for giving into cravings and temptation.. To make it worse, we get a constant reminder in the form of a tummy ache due to the crappy foods...

So what you really have to do is decide what's more important.. A few joyful moment on the lips, or a few hours of pain in the gut and mental stress?

Part of the problem is the social aspect.. It's a nightmare sitting around with friends while they munch down on goodies while you're relegated to drinking water and eating carrot sticks.. Believe me.. I've been there...

But you have to put a good spin on it.. Think how good you'll feel when you emerge victorious, staying on plan..

The other thing to think about is this.. Will a couple of chicken legs or french fries add back to the weight you've lost? No.. Probably not if you get right back on the horse and stay POP.. But if you're like many of us, that one or two chicken legs or couple of fries triggers off a switch in your brain that makes it hard to stop eating... If you can "eat just one", you may be ok.. But then again, if you could "eat just one" in the first place, would you be on the LAWL plan right now? I know I wouldn't..

You're not alone by a long shot.. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't want a big ol' slice of pizza or burger.. But I sure as heck don't want to be back where I was a year and a half ago.. I WILL NOT EVER GO BACK TO THAT!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • OH.. And Jill..

If you really want an eye opener.. Spend some time looking around this site...

http://www.menshealth.com/eatthis/index.html
  • Jill, Lately when I've been tempted at night to eat something just a little off plan, I will use one of my starches and have one of those 100 calorie packs. I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time, but as a consume infrequently thing, and to get used to being someone who eats just a little bit of stuff... it is a good thing. Plus if you have the occasional treat to look forward to, well it makes the months of being good go by faster. Now I keep the 100 calorie snack packs in the basement, in a box that I have to take a bunch of stuff out of the closet to get at... so I have time to stop myself before I go and eat a second one... If I have one, I go and get it and serve it with dinner... Last night I had 100 calories of little cheeto asteroids. Sure is was a little salty and I wouldn't recommend doing that before you weighed in the next day. LAWL sells a similiar product that you can buy, and it is lower in salt. I think they used to sell them 10 for 10$ at my COD, which is kind of expensive, but when it is your treat that you allow yourself once a week or so, it is not so bad. Plus I enjoyed the heck out of my "fake cheetos". They also used to sell cookies as snacks, but those are very similiar to the 100 calories snack packs. Learning how to eat a moderate amount is very important for your long term success. Anyway, I found that only once in awhile when I was feeling that I would never ever be able to eat anything again (I can be quite melodramatic in my own mind when contemplating cookies) this made it all better for me. I suppose it was more of an emotional thing for me. I don't know if that would work for anyone else, but it really made me feel better about the whole thing.
  • Hang in there. You should be close to adding more foods to your diet. That first 30 days is tough since the foods are limted. I started during football season and I had season tickets to the Cyclones. Can you imagine tailgating watching every one drink beer and eat brats, etc while you are drinking water and munching on carrots or celery??? I kept on telling myself, I will be rewarded at my next weigh in.

Think about how it will feel to try on your usual size clothing and find out they are too big. Or have someone tell you that your clothes are looking baggy.
  • Thanks everyone! Wish I could report back saying that I stayed strong, but I can't.

I think I was just completely worn down on Friday. I couldn't face the thought of grocery shopping, working out and then cooking dinner. I just wanted a quick fix and some quality time on the couch. Me and my fiance went out for dinner and then snacked while watching movies for the rest of the evening. Totally back to my old ways.

But here's the positive. I was worried about it being a weekend-long thing, but I woke up Saturday morning feeling so crappy that I could not wait to get back on track. I filled myself w/ fresh fruits and veggies all weekend long. And walked on the treadmill.

Yes, I fell of the wagon. But I am very proud of myself for getting right back on. And I got it out of my system so I'm done now.

Thanks for all of the support. I wish I could pick you guys up and put you in my purse

Can't say I'm really excited about WI today though......scary
  • Jill, Don't feel too bad...you're not the only one who fell off the wagon. I did the same thing. On my part it was called "poor planning" and not being determined enough. However, I woke up this morning and thought about it and have a new perspective on everything. It just wasn't worth it. It WAS only worth it that I got it out of my system. Now I just need to buckle down and get back to it. I'm there with you and here we go!!!
  • Right on Carol! Check out my "I'm so upset" thread. If that's not motivation to stay on track I don't know what is!
  • If you're anything like me, the craving is only for a day. By the next day, mine have always disappeared. Occupy your mind (I search for success stories online). Stay OP, make sure you get in all your foods and by tomorrow you'll be golden!