Old 01-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Question How to count Instant Oatmeal

I am on a 4 week medical leave from LAWL and it is awful. Apart from not having the accountability, I have been eating out of control (finally got on the doctor's scale and gained back 7 pounds - YIKES). That instantly snapped me back on track, don't want to do a FF (can't do the TO because of soy issues that were recently tested and confirmed).

I digress ---- sorry ----

Wanted to have instant (low sugar variety) oatmeal and have no clue as to how to count it. I searched my Red1 Plan Booklet and the best I could come up with is to count it as a carb craver meal.

Any thoughts from this wonderful board?

Thanks
Roberta
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 PM   #2  
Plan 3 w/Lites

S/C/G: 255/245/175

Height: 5'9"

I use the Weight Control oatmeal because it is made with artifical sweetener instead of sugar. It makes one cup so I count it as two starches.
spacystacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #3  

Default Need the information for the color coded plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacystacy View Post
I use the Weight Control oatmeal because it is made with artifical sweetener instead of sugar. It makes one cup so I count it as two starches.
Thanks so much for your response. I really need someone to reply who knows the exchanges under the color coded plans and I see you are on the numbered plans. The portions are totally different. Bummer, but thanks anyway.

Roberta
Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 228.8/228.8/140

This is a good question. I am awaiting response to this also as I often like to have the instant oatmeal for breakfast
PolarBear2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 216/208/140

Height: 5'8"

When I use it (and lately it's been every day) I count it as 1 starch. I only use 4 oz of milk. I also don't use the quaker brand, I'm cheap, I admit it, I use the Albertson's Lower Sugar brand. Tastes good to me! I think it only looks like 1/2 c cooked but I have never measured it. Granted, it's 120 calories, so really I shouldn't be eating it every day, but it fills me up for the morning... maybe the Quaker has more in the packet?

I guess I would cook it like normal and measure it once it's done. 1/2 c is one starch on colored plans (and numbered plans too)... My COD hasn't ever said anything to me about having oatmeal every day...
whatazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/254/199

I was told not to use instant oats in the packets because the have sugar.
I use the ones in the box. 1/2 cooked is a serving. I use 1/4 cup oats and 1/2 cup of water and microwave for about 1 min. 20 sec. I eat them with a sweet and low and lite marg. and a banana. Make a real filling breakfast.
cottonfarmer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #7  

Thanks so much for your input everyone. I take a package with me to eat in class or before I swim and the packets are easy. Stephanie, I am going to go with your count as 1 starch. As far as the sugar is concerned, I bought the lower sugar version and got it really cheap at Big Lots. I am with you, don't buy name brands cause the store brands are usually just as good and they cost a lot less.

Thanks again everyone
Roberta