Old 01-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Atkins is working, but stressful. What do you know about...?

"Whole food" dieting? I had soo much success with this in the past.

After my gallbladder failure/liver damage debauchle, though, Atkins has been the only thing that's worked. Now that I've lost a little weight, and am seeing results, I'm wondering if my metabolism is coming back.

So, how much luck/info does anyone have with just straight "clean" eating. Everything fresh, nothing processed. No simple sugars/carbs.

My husband says I shouldn't mess with success. I have weekly slip ups, and would prefer something that easier to stick to. I'm just not into measuring my lettuce.

Last edited by Altari; 01-30-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari View Post
I'm just not into measuring my lettuce.
I've been on Atkins for nearly 4 years and I've never measured my lettuce
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #3  
never say never

S/C/G: 215/ticker/165

Height: 5'6

i have done both atkins and whole foods dieting. i had wonderful results with both but the whole foods thing stressed me out less. i prefer to think that veggies are great and i should eat them instead of like you said...measuring lettuce. but i quite enjoy all kinds of vegetables and don't like to have them taken from me.

as far as whole foods dieting i just didn't eat anything processed. other than that i watched my calories. it's really hard to get high calorie intake on whole foods. you're not going to gorge on broccoli.
polkadotfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotfever View Post
you're not going to gorge on broccoli.
Ooo you don't know me too well. I'm a broccoli girl. I'd rather eat a HUGE bowl of steamed broccoli than ice cream. hehe...

JerseyGirl,
The book I got on Atkins Induction said I had to limit salad to 3 cups per day. I've been following it strictly. My usual salad is 3 cups - so one at lunch and one at dinner is 6 cups. Does it not hurt to go over carbs on veggies?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotfever View Post
i have done both atkins and whole foods dieting. i had wonderful results with both but the whole foods thing stressed me out less. i prefer to think that veggies are great and i should eat them instead of like you said...measuring lettuce. but i quite enjoy all kinds of vegetables and don't like to have them taken from me.
From the time you begin Atkins (Induction), veggies are strongly encouraged. In fact, 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day, should be coming from veggies & salad. There are 58 veggies listed on the acceptable foods list. When you progress to the OWL phase of Atkins...the 1st rung of the carb ladder is to add more veggies. In the Pre-Maintenance phase of Atkins, starchy veggies & legumes are added. This all prepares you for lifetime maintenance.

Atkins isn't all about eating meat....veggies are a very important part of doing Atkins correctly
Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari View Post
JerseyGirl,
The book I got on Atkins Induction said I had to limit salad to 3 cups per day. I've been following it strictly. My usual salad is 3 cups - so one at lunch and one at dinner is 6 cups. Does it not hurt to go over carbs on veggies?
To be perfectly honest, I've eaten big salads for lunch everyday since I've been on Atkins and often have another salad with dinner. I've never measured it but, I can tell you its well over 3 cups.

I've never measured veggies either. I put cold, cooked broccoli florets on my saiad everyday and have another serving of veggies with my dinner.

I've lost over 100 lbs on Atkins...and this is the way I've done it from day 1. Veggies & salads aren't the bad guys that cause you to gain weight....processed foods & refined carbs are!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

If you like the idea of whole foods but are looking for more structure, I suggest South Beach. After only 2 weeks on Phase 1 (which is induction and is very Atkin's-like in that you limit all carbs, but if you've been doing Atkin's, I bet you could easily skip this phase), you move to Phase 2 (which is the phase you stay in until you reach your goal). You do not have count carbs--you can eat lean meats, reduced-/low-/non-fat dairy, at LEAST 4.5 cups of veggies a day (that's the minimum recommendation--more is fine), legumes, and up to 2-3 servings each of fruits and whole grains (for those who are carb sensitive, you can still eat less of these carb-heavy foods). The focus is on good, lower GI carbs (fruits, veggies, dairy, and whole grains) and limiting bad fats (avoiding trans fats, limiting saturated fats, and focusing on healthy unsaturated fats).

Or, if you need less structure, whole foods and calorie counting works, too!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #8  
Paleo-ish Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
To be perfectly honest, I've eaten big salads for lunch everyday since I've been on Atkins and often have another salad with dinner. I've never measured it but, I can tell you its well over 3 cups.

I've never measured veggies either. I put cold, cooked broccoli florets on my saiad everyday and have another serving of veggies with my dinner.

I've lost over 100 lbs on Atkins...and this is the way I've done it from day 1. Veggies & salads aren't the bad guys that cause you to gain weight....processed foods & refined carbs are!
OK, I'll toss that book then, lol! It STRONGLY encouraged measuring salads, and repeatedly said to not exceed 3 cups of lettuce or 2 cups if you incorporate 1 cup of other veggies. Limiting my veggie intake has been a huge hurdle, and I only did it because that's what the book said. :P
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

I've read the book too (several times)....but...lets face it, salad & veggies aren't what made us overweight to begin with. Stay away from the bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar & white flour....as well as the so called "low carb" products & EVIL sugar alcohols!!! Drink lots of water & get some exercise. It all works!!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Kim on this.

I don't low carb (I calorie count) but the reason why carbs got the bad stigma, is because many high carb foods are "junk" like donuts, chips, Twinkies, and the like. When low carb dieting became popular, everyone got so crazy about carbs, that they were scared of any carbs...don't be!! Many HEALTHFUL foods contain carbs, and it is important to have some carbs in your daily diet. Vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc. are GOOD carbs...don't be afraid of them.

If you want to stay with Atkins, don't be afraid of vegetables...eventually you can have portions of lower cab fruits as well, such as berries. As Kim said, these aren't the carbs that made you fat, anyhow...the "junky" stuff is to blame.

Whole foods eating has more carbs than Atkins, but on that same note, it is only good carbs...and good foods in general. Fruits, veggies, lean protein, oatmeal, etc. but nothing heavily processed. This also omits all of the snack cakes, donuts, boxed cereals, etc. as well. There are more carbs, but all of the junk is removed...

Whatever way you decide to go, you will do fine. Just don't be afraid of carbs...as long as they are the healthy ones.

Also, we do have a Whole Foods section, as well as the low carb section.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote