Hi from OZ

• Hi there, just found this site and thought I would say Hi
    My name is Gail and I am a 50 year old mother of 2 girls (Carly) aged 26 and(Amber) 13, yes long time between drinks
    I live in the mountains in Tasmania Australia with my husband, youngest daughter and my brood of georgeous animals. Eldest girl is a chef and lives in the capital city of Hobart about a 40minute drive away.
    I have struggled with my weight most of my life, at 19 I lost a massive 120 pounds in around 12 months and managed to keep most it off until falling pregnant at 36 with Amber. I ballooned to say the least during prenancy and almost lost the baby due to a liver malfunction. To cut a very long story short I am now morbidly obese, I would estimate at least 290/300 pound as I would not dream of weighing myself at the moment as I am depressed enough. I have made all the excuses under the sun, too old, I dont eat that much, etc, etc. I have got to the stage where I dread leaving the property, even going to the local shops has become a nightmare. This is so unfair to my family,my blood pressure has sky rocketed and I am missing out on life in general. I seriously need to get this weight off and start living. Any tips anyone out there could give me to start living again would be most appreciated Thanks in advance Gail
  • GAIL!! Or should I say GOODDAY!

Any ideas of a plan? There are tons of different plans - something for everyone. For me - calorie counting and exercise has been the way to go. Surf around, ask questions...so glad you came here.
  • G'day Chick!!
    Thanks for your reply, no real plan of action yet, eating healthy, laying off the bread, eating more fruit and veg and staying away from alcohol would be a good start for me! Its keeping up the will power that lets me down, I know if I can stick at it for more than a few weeks I have a chance of success, fingers crossed this time!!
  • No you don't need luck. Your plan is decent - can I suggest adding logging what you eat to keep track of the calories? I know it sounds annoying and time consuming - but I swear it works. Maybe not even worrying about how many calories it is at first, just doing the things you already mentioned. I like Fitday because it's free - but even just a spreadsheet or a notebook. Just to start making a habit of keeping track.
  • Hi again, will follow that advice and write a journal, thanks again.
    It's my daughters 13th birthday on Thursday and she's having 5 girls over for a sleepover, lotsa pizza, nibbles and cake!! If I can get through that without being tempted LOL,I will be on track.
    Whats fitday and how does that work? Cheers Gail
  • Fitday is a site where you set up an account and log what you eat and your exercise. If you look in my profile there is a link to my account. You can chose whether or not you can make your account public or not - it's your choice. The Daily Plate is another site you can use. if it might be annoying to try to find foods you eat in Austrailia...

I just think it's quite an eye opener to see what calories are in certain foods. I still get surprised sometimes at things I think should be pretty healthy that are jam packed with calories.
  • As for the pizza - maybe make a special pizza for yourself, thin crust with lotsa veggies and easy on the cheese. Then you won't be so tempted to eat what the kids are having.
  • Thanks chick, I will check them out. Just looked at your before and afters, wow, congrats, if I could get down to your size I would be stoked.
  • Thanks! It has been a long and interesting road. I am pretty stoked - I still wanna be smaller - but I think I can live like this for the rest of my life.