3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   How often do you weigh yourselves? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/129744-how-often-do-you-weigh-yourselves.html)

BabyNicole 12-31-2007 08:19 AM

How often do you weigh yourselves?

I've been told it's "unhealthy" to weigh yourself everyday b/c if you don't see results you get discouraged. But sometimes I find myself doing that when I'm watching my weight. :sssh:

So, how ofter do you weigh yourself?

brn2bthn 12-31-2007 09:08 AM

Maybe once a month or every two weeks.

BillBlueEyes 12-31-2007 09:12 AM

Weigh myself daily

I weigh every morning. I don't mind seeing the numbers jitter up and down on a daily basis.

aphil 12-31-2007 09:38 AM

I personally weigh about twice a week.

I think where the problem lies, is if you get too focused on the scale-and you are jumping on it all of the time, and getting discouraged.

Some people get very frustrated with normal body fluctuations. It is normal to retain water at certain times, such as during PMS/menstruation, or if you had a meal the day before with more sodium than normal. It can temporarily make your weight up a pound or two. Also, if you are losing 1 pound per week, jumping on the scale 4 days in a row before you "see anything" can make some people discouraged.

If it doesn't bother you to see these things, I think weighing every day is okay...but personally, I would rather weigh once a week and see a change-then weigh every day, and not see one for 4-5 days.

However, weighing multiple times a day is too much. You should weigh at a max, once per day-at preferably the same time. I weigh first thing in the am, in underwear.

Sharron616 12-31-2007 09:47 AM

I personally weigh once a week, on the same day (Thursday for me) first thing in the morning in underwear. I, personally, get discouraged if I weigh everyday and the scale goes up.

lorilove 12-31-2007 03:26 PM

I weigh myself whenever I am at the gym. I wish this was dialy but more often it is about 4 times per week.

Weighing yourself daily is a good habit as long as you have realistic expectations and understanding of normal fluctuations. Otherwise, it is probably best not to.

Here are my rules of weighing:
1) Use one scale consistently - I don't get on strange scales unless at the Doctors.
2) I go to the bathroom first but other than that I wear the same clothes (including shoes) and I don't care what time of day it is.
3) I always make sure the scale is balanced before I get on - it will drive me crazy if the number is off and I did not check
4) I weigh before I workout. I get on once and only once and accept that number.
5) I am a bit conservated. The scale was lower then I expected the other day so I will wait to see if it sticks before recording it as a loss. I do the same with a gain if I have been behaving and there is no reason for me to be gaining.

Lori

lorilove 12-31-2007 03:32 PM

The other day I was at the gym and a (very fit) lady asked me if the scale was accurate. I believe it is since it has been very consistent for me in 9 1/2 months and I had been weighed 4x by 3 different doctors in the past month and the scale was always 1lb plus/minus this one.

Well this lady was freaking out cause she was convinced it had to be wrong. I told her don't worry about it and go with the scale she consistently uses. Turns out she only gets weighed once per year at the doctors office!

Well she was really upset cause it was like 15lbs more than usual for her. I told her not to worry - she was in amazing shape. It just goes to show that no matter how fit you are, we can become a bit fixated on a number.

Lori

lovinlifex2 12-31-2007 03:34 PM

I weigh once a week in the morning after using the potty and in the buff.

Christine in NJ 12-31-2007 03:52 PM

It may sound crazy, but I weigh twice a day, everyday. The first time is in the morning, right after I get up and use the bathroom, right before my shower. That is the number I put in my weight commander, and the weight I consider myself for the day. The other time is right before I go to bed. That way, I'm never surprised if the number goes up the following morning (it's a little easier on my morning if I already knew I was going to be +1 or 2 lbs).

I have to admit that this drove me a bit crazy at first, until I realized that my body fluctuates and I learned how and when. Now I know that if I eat a bunch on the weekend, Tuesday, I'm going to wake up a couple of pounds up, and when I'm pmsing, it's going to be a good 5 lb gain for 2-3 days. As long as I still lose an overall amt of 5 lbs in a month, and my trend line in weight commander continues to go down, everything is ok.

I don't recommend this for most people though. It really take a lot some days for my not to obsess over the number I saw in the morning, or get depressed if I've gained, but if I don't do it, I personally would lose my motivation and probably put all the weight right back on.

gailr42 12-31-2007 05:10 PM

I weigh every morning, always hoping that the Fat Fairy has come in the night and magically removed 20 lbs. :lol:

I agreee with the advice about using the same scale. I weighed the other day at my MIL, and the scale there showed me 12, yes twelve!!!!, pounds heavier than I am on my home scale. Of course, I sort of freaked. I sure as heck hope my home scale is closer to correct.

BabyNicole 12-31-2007 10:08 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies! :hug: I just bought a new scale today, and am going to weigh myself tomorrow morning and record that! So, I will have a pretty ticker tomorrow and I'm off the losing weight in 2008. I will try not to weigh myself everyday b/c I only want to record once a week.

Shy Moment 12-31-2007 10:20 PM

I do a weigh in at the docs office every other week. Now that the biggest loosers challenge is going to begin I will weigh every week. Bought a scale and was pretty lucky, it is right on what the docs scale reads.

vixjean 12-31-2007 11:27 PM

lovin life-
HAHAHA
me too
2 or more times a week
naked after potty in the morning while holding my breath,
okay, just kidding about the holding my breath part!
;)

foucault 01-01-2008 03:29 AM

My weight fluctuates each day. So, I only weigh myself once a week. I do it on the same day at the same time to ensure that I'm getting the most accurate count on the change from the previous week. I always weigh less in the mornings as soon as I get up, so I do it then. Weighing everyday just depresses me.

BabyNicole 01-01-2008 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailr42 (Post 1974833)
I weigh every morning, always hoping that the Fat Fairy has come in the night and magically removed 20 lbs. :lol:

I agreee with the advice about using the same scale. I weighed the other day at my MIL, and the scale there showed me 12, yes twelve!!!!, pounds heavier than I am on my home scale. Of course, I sort of freaked. I sure as heck hope my home scale is closer to correct.

:rofl: When you encounter that fairy, please send her over here! :celebrate: Until then, I'll be the fairy :angel: and spread around some of this...:dust: