I need help. Cheap healthy food?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi guys.

Background info:
    I weigh about 152. This is the highest weight I have ever been at and it's mostly fat, no muscle tone whatsoever. My belly is a bowl of flab and I am not lean at all. At least if I was a lean 150, I could deal, but I've never been so flabby in my whole life.

Okayy, I'm only 15, turning 16 very soon, but I would really like to reach my goal of being 125-130 pounds once and for all. I am SICK AND TIRED of worrying about my weight. I would just like tor reach my goal weight and keep it off. I would also like to speed up my metabolism and gain a lot of muscle.

I use to have an eating disorder similar to anorexia but I was never diagnosed so I can't really say I've had that. Ever since then, my weight has gone up, down, and up again.

My mom doesn't really buy healthy food. at all. Please excuse my family as an option for me losing weight. They are not an option. If I want to do this, I basically have to do this by myself. They do provide whole grain bread, bananas, and eggs occasionally.

Main Question:

My question is how can I afford to buy everything I need to lose weight, food wise, with an income of 80 dollars a week from working at the mall? I would like to buy protein, vegetables, fruits and nuts, in order to achieve my goal.

I need to use about 30-40 a week MAX on food because I need the rest for other things. So please help me become healthy on my budget once and for all!

Also I work 3 days a week directly after school, are they any quick meals are snacks that you think I could eat during work. I work at a kiosk so I could eat small granolas. Nothing that smells like protein. Small granolas or snacks would work.

Please help me come up with a plan!
  • At 5'10" and 152 pounds , you are not overweight , you will look like a bean pole at 125 pounds. You can get rid of the flab and tone your muscles if you will start exercising and you will look great and see that you don't need to lose weight.
  • Quote: At 5'10" and 152 pounds , you are not overweight , you will look like a bean pole at 125 pounds. You can get rid of the flab and tone your muscles if you will start exercising and you will look great and see that you don't need to lose weight.

I am not overweight but I would still like to drop 20 pounds and return to the weight that best suits my body frame

150 would be find if I were a fully grown adult but right now, I am not done growing so I will continue to put MORE weight on with the years. so losing some would be beneficial
  • any advice on cheap healthy foods?
  • Frozen vegetables, fresh fruits and vegetables in season, bulk beans and rice to be cooked at home.
  • Quote: Frozen vegetables, fresh fruits and vegetables in season, bulk beans and rice to be cooked at home.
    thank you
  • Quote: At 5'10" and 152 pounds , you are not overweight , you will look like a bean pole at 125 pounds. You can get rid of the flab and tone your muscles if you will start exercising and you will look great and see that you don't need to lose weight.
    I totally agree. I have never seen a recommendation for less that 140 pounds for this height, even for a very slender frame. Exercise would give you the tone you desire but you're at a pretty healthy weight for your height.
  • oh brother. Can you pretend like Im 5 ft then? I just want to know how to drop some pounds and compile a plan that works. Just because you don't agree doesnt mean you can't give me advice on losing weight and buying affordable healthy food anyway

This type of thing is really annoying because I don't need people telling me what weight I should be at. that's MY decision just like it is yours.
  • I think that if you eat a sensibel meal of a healthy breakfast, cheerios, fruit and lowfat milk, half a sandwhich with fruit, and dinner with some veggies you will be ok. Also, you have to excercise and drink plenty of water. I think for your height at 5"10 140lbs that should be good for you
  • Jeez... I see what you mean, sweetlovin. Look at the trackers... did I call it, or what?

I diet/eat healthy on a budget, too. First, let me say I'm sorry your family doesn't support you. I know how that is, especially when you can't help but worry about what the people you love are doing to themselves on top of it all.

I do the "geek thing" and compare nutrition info on everything. Often things that aren't labelled "diet" are less expensive and lower calorie/better for you. I also find that buying larger quantities and making your own snack packs are much cheaper.

In spring/summer/fall, I get fresh produce at the farmers' markets where it's much cheaper than at the grocery. Now that it's winter, I buy frozen veggies- usually whatever I find on sale. These with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray make a great light meal on the run. You can even toss the spray bottle right in an insulated lunch bag. Cold pre-cooked veggies are neither great nor horrible eaten cold but a quick zap in the microwave is best.

A good, cheap lean protein option is canned tuna packed in water. You can usually get the store brand for the best price. It would certainly stink up your kiosk, though. I also love the ease and simplicity of Boca Burgers. They zap in the microwave, don't really smell like anything, are 100 calories per burger, and they are healthy and FILLING. Well worth the price!

For starch on the go, I buy large (cheap) bags of pretzel sticks and package individual servings in baggies. Check the nutrition info, but you can have something like 15 pretzel sticks for around 100 calories. Of course, granola bars are always a good option here, too. I also buy light whole grain English muffins (use the butter spray) for good starch and fiber. I may have to try the Cheerios tip!

For dairy, I buy plain, lowfat kefir or plain lowfat yogurt in larger containers and package it for individual servings. I add in cinnamon and artificial sweetener for flavor. I developed an addiction for Dannon Light n' Fit smoothies, which are more expensive but a tasty way to get your calcium!

I have to say, the best way to boost your metabolism is by increasing your muscle mass. I'm guessing you have the wonderful advantage of still having access to your school gym equipment instead of having to shell out for a gym membership.

Last, don't pay any attention to the criticism you have received on this post. The overwhelming majority of people on 3FC are very supportive. It seems some people think critical comments like those above are flattering and don't realize how hurtful they can be, especially to someone who struggles with body and image. Hopefully this helps them see the light...

Take care of yourself! Be healthy! And be sure to share any other good finds from your shopping!
  • Quote: Jeez... I see what you mean, sweetlovin. Look at the trackers... did I call it, or what?

I diet/eat healthy on a budget, too. First, let me say I'm sorry your family doesn't support you. I know how that is, especially when you can't help but worry about what the people you love are doing to themselves on top of it all.

I do the "geek thing" and compare nutrition info on everything. Often things that aren't labelled "diet" are less expensive and lower calorie/better for you. I also find that buying larger quantities and making your own snack packs are much cheaper.

In spring/summer/fall, I get fresh produce at the farmers' markets where it's much cheaper than at the grocery. Now that it's winter, I buy frozen veggies- usually whatever I find on sale. These with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray make a great light meal on the run. You can even toss the spray bottle right in an insulated lunch bag. Cold pre-cooked veggies are neither great nor horrible eaten cold but a quick zap in the microwave is best.

A good, cheap lean protein option is canned tuna packed in water. You can usually get the store brand for the best price. It would certainly stink up your kiosk, though. I also love the ease and simplicity of Boca Burgers. They zap in the microwave, don't really smell like anything, are 100 calories per burger, and they are healthy and FILLING. Well worth the price!

For starch on the go, I buy large (cheap) bags of pretzel sticks and package individual servings in baggies. Check the nutrition info, but you can have something like 15 pretzel sticks for around 100 calories. Of course, granola bars are always a good option here, too. I also buy light whole grain English muffins (use the butter spray) for good starch and fiber. I may have to try the Cheerios tip!

For dairy, I buy plain, lowfat kefir or plain lowfat yogurt in larger containers and package it for individual servings. I add in cinnamon and artificial sweetener for flavor. I developed an addiction for Dannon Light n' Fit smoothies, which are more expensive but a tasty way to get your calcium!

I have to say, the best way to boost your metabolism is by increasing your muscle mass. I'm guessing you have the wonderful advantage of still having access to your school gym equipment instead of having to shell out for a gym membership.

Last, don't pay any attention to the criticism you have received on this post. The overwhelming majority of people on 3FC are very supportive. It seems some people think critical comments like those above are flattering and don't realize how hurtful they can be, especially to someone who struggles with body and image. Hopefully this helps them see the light...

Take care of yourself! Be healthy! And be sure to share any other good finds from your shopping!
    OMG. thank you sooo much! You gave me so much advice, I don't even know how I can thank you. Now I just have to reread that and take the tips that you gave me into action.

Wow I didn't think i would get such a great response finally. I will make sure to message you with any questions/tips if I get any. Congrats on your weight loss by the way!

I'm going to try to do the whole muscle exercise thing. I seem to find cardio a lot more fun but I guess I will have to suffer with the lunges. What to you think helps you build muscle the best?

Off to reread all of that again and take some quick notes!
  • I think if you are 15 and healthy, you could exercise to tone up your body. Could you walk at the mall? Maybe walk to work? I don't know how far it would be for you of course. Do you have a bike? Maybe borrow some workout videos at the library to give some different forms of exercise a try. With exercise, you would probably tone up and lose some of the flab that you say that you have. Remember though, muscles weighs more than fat, so don't be surprised it the weight goes up a bit at first when you start exercising.

Even with the family having the other foods around, smart choices could still be made. You could eat from what they are having and also have some fresh fruits and vegies. Maybe if they are frying a meat, you could broil or bake yours. I can't imagine a parent not wanting their child to eat healthy foods, but I guess that's the mom in me coming out. Getting to an ideal weight at a young age is important because the older you get, the tougher it becomes.

My son's girlfriend lost about 25 pounds over the past several months just be giving up sodas, drinking more water, and exercising more. Worth a shot!
    Good luck!
  • Quote: I think if you are 15 and healthy, you could exercise to tone up your body. Could you walk at the mall? Maybe walk to work? I don't know how far it would be for you of course. Do you have a bike? Maybe borrow some workout videos at the library to give some different forms of exercise a try. With exercise, you would probably tone up and lose some of the flab that you say that you have. Remember though, muscles weighs more than fat, so don't be surprised it the weight goes up a bit at first when you start exercising.

Even with the family having the other foods around, smart choices could still be made. You could eat from what they are having and also have some fresh fruits and vegies. Maybe if they are frying a meat, you could broil or bake yours. I can't imagine a parent not wanting their child to eat healthy foods, but I guess that's the mom in me coming out. Getting to an ideal weight at a young age is important because the older you get, the tougher it becomes.

My son's girlfriend lost about 25 pounds over the past several months just be giving up sodas, drinking more water, and exercising more. Worth a shot!
    Good luck!
    I have workout videos, a apt gym, and my neighborhood so I definitely have the exercise options open.

The problem that I have is my portion control. I eat carbs a lot, whole grain but carbs, and I overeat on healthy food= too many calories. I never eat fast food and I NEVER drink soda so portion control is a huge issue for me. Also eating when i am not hungry/bored is a huge issue
  • 3 only things
    I suggest you to do 3 things:

1. Purchase a video tutorial or an article explaining the possible diseases of not eating healthy foods and give it to your parents.

2. Buy a mini stepper and Strapped Hand Weights

3. Wake up early in the morning and do 20-30 minutes a day before breakfast

That's it!
  • There is nothing any of us can do to help you with the portion control since we aren't there with you on a daily basis. I think if you really want to control the portions, you are going to have to make a commitment to yourself to do it on your own.

medbook had some good ideas in her post. Maybe you could get some info from you doctor to share with your parents about the importance of healthy eating when you are a teen.