How many calories do I really need?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Lynn's post about losing the last ten pounds reminded me of something that I tore out of a fitness magazine last week...

"How many calories do I really need?"

Step 1: Do a little math

(_____x4.5)+(_____x15.88)-(_____x5)-161=_____
    weight height (inches) age total

Step 2: Multiply your total (above) by the appropriate percentage (below)

If you're... Multiply the above total by...
    Sedentary 20%
    Lightly Active 30%
    Moderately Active 40%
    Very active 50%

Step 3: Find your calorie goal
    Total #1 + Total #2 = daily calorie total

Extra!
    To lose weight, subtract 250 calories per day to shed one-half pound per week; subtract 500 calories to drop one pound per week.
  • wow......this means I should really be taking in just over 2000 calories for a 1 1/2 lb per week loss. Ok, now I really am going to keep my fitday up to see how the new plan sits with this info. Thanks for sharing this Tina and Lynn
    XOXO
  • ok. can't add right..lol.......it would be 1841 for me to lose 1 1/2 lbs per week.
  • Quote: ok. can't add right..lol.......it would be 1841 for me to lose 1 1/2 lbs per week.
    I recall this being a recurring problem for you, girl!!!!!

Oh, who am I kidding - yesterday I almost left $40 too much tip at lunch (NYC prices, plus one too many cocktails)
  • You know, the funny thing is, Kim.....I really do love math. I am a total geek.......but I am SOOOOOOOOO out of practice that it is ridiculous. Oh, that and the constant interruptions.........(are you liking all of my excuses????).
  • that would mean 1796 calories to lose the pound and a half a week for me.
  • good info tina.
    i figured that i should be on an intake of about 1698 to lose a pound a week. that's right around where i'm at for my plan #3 right now, i think...when i put a daily menu of mine into fitday.

good stuff to keep in mind.
  • Great info. It took me three tries to get my math right!! lol-I kept forgetting to write the total from #1 down. I multiplied by 25% bc I'm active-but not consistent. This is really helpful. Looks like LAWL was right on-being on RED w/lites I'm right in the calorie range to lose 2lbs per week...if only I would get in that range everyday!

Nicole- I am officially addicted to fitday! I'm amazed at what cutting my carbs to high fiber/low calorie options can do for my count each day! I'm ready for it to show on the scale...
  • Mine is about 1300 per day to drop the pound per week.

WOW AmyLou Nice pic. You look awesome. Looks like that trial did wonders for you Lawyer-Girl.
  • Hey Jillian........how are you doing? Are you with your babies now?

Amylou.......is fitday getting easier for you now that you have some stuff saved? I really like to see how the simple changes are so much healthier by seeing some of the reports that tell you what nutrients you are getting and/or lacking. Isn't it difficult to try to get everything in nutritionally. I guess that's why we have dieticians, huh?
  • OK, according to this I need to have 1639.6 calories to lose 1lb/week or 1389.6 calories to lose 1.5 lbs/week. Does that sound right?
  • That is amazing. I am losing one lb a week and I am eating just about what the formula says I should be eating to lose that 1 lb a week. I find that great and I didn't even know the formula lol. There is no way I should be losing more than that 1lb a week. To lose 2lbs a week I would have to go down to less than 700 calories a day ( 681 ) and that would not be good. No wonder this is all I am losing lol. I have basically lost 1lb a week for the last 26 weeks. 1.28lbs to be exact. No wonder I can't lose anymore than what I am losing lol.

( 166x4.5 ) + ( 59x15.88 ) - ( 46x5 ) - 161
    747 + 936.92 - 230 - 161
    1292.92 x .30 = 387.876
    1292.92 + 387.876 = 1680.796
    1680.796 - 500 = 1180.796 or 1181
    1181 calories a day to lose 1lb per week.

I am averageing 1205 acording to fit day and have lost an average of 1.28 lbs per week for the last 26 weeks. Pretty darn close to the formula
  • wow.........I totally can't do math anymore......I refigured today, and at 20% active, I would need 2100 cals to lose 1.5 per week.......and at 30% active, I would need 2300 cals. That's a lot of calories, isn't it? I am going to track this on my fitday today and for at least a few days to see how the feel full plan adds up
  • Nicole, that doesn't seem right.

it should be (guessing on the weight and age)
    (188 x 4.5) + (67 x 15.88) - (36 x 5) - 161 = 1569

20% of 1569 = 314
    30% of 1569 = 470

So that would be 1569 + 314 = 1888 (to maintain)
    and to lose a pound and a half per week = 1133
    or with 30% it would be 2039 to maintain and 1289 to lose a pound and a half.
  • Well if I want to lose 5 lbs a week I can only have 248 calories a day. Guess I better set my sites a little lower on the weight loss per week! <shrug>