3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Pumpkin Pudding (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/126451-pumpkin-pudding.html)

Lynx 11-04-2007 04:46 PM

Pumpkin Pudding

15 oz pumpkin puree - use canned to save time
12 oz evaporated skim milk
1 pkg SF pudding mix - vanilla or banana creme
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Whisk pudding mix into evaporated milk then stir in pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. Divide into 3 containers and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Makes 3 servings - each 1 dairy and 1 vegetable.

Note: This is a LA weightloss approved recipe under the numbered plans.

Option - Crush serving size of fiber one cereal and sprinkle on top of your serving of the pumpkin pudding.

Turned out quite yummy.

BarbaraB 11-04-2007 07:49 PM

Ooh, that sounds very good, and a great alternative if you are having pumpkin pie cravings. I've even looked at people's pumpkin pie tickers and had a moment of weakness (thank goodness I would have to drive somewhere to get pie!).

aguerin 11-05-2007 08:23 AM

Oh Lynn Thanks for Sharing. THis sounds very good and a Nice Thanksgiving Treat!

Lynx 11-05-2007 08:41 AM

Hi Amy,
Regarding your comment about stuffing - Too bad I can't come up with a OP version of my mother's stuffing. I am sure you feel the same way.

Take care

dawn78 11-05-2007 09:40 AM

This sounds great! I can't wait to get home & try making it. I love just about anything pumpkin. Thanks again for sharing this recipe.

Kimphin 11-05-2007 11:38 AM

ooh that sounds yummy!

Mama Nicole 11-05-2007 01:01 PM

It does sound yummy, and how terrific that it is not only a dairy, but a vegetable. I am so going ot make this on Thanksgiving. I am going to try really really hard to stay OP everyday, even holidays :)
XOXO

zambejaly5 11-05-2007 01:21 PM

so pumpkin is a vegitable not a starch like winter squash???? didn't know that! why is that??? ok, I dont' care why I just like it!!!

Lynx 11-05-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zambejaly5 (Post 1918884)
so pumpkin is a vegitable not a starch like winter squash???? didn't know that! why is that??? ok, I dont' care why I just like it!!!

Lettie,
Probably you did not know about pumpkin because it is not listed on the color coded plans.

Don't wait until Thanksgiving - try it this week and enjoy.

Mama Nicole 11-05-2007 04:12 PM

Here you go girls :)

Here is what Science Bob has to say about this question: Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?

Answer: “To really figure out if a tomato is a fruit or vegetable, you need to know what makes a fruit a fruit, and a vegetable a vegetable. The big question to ask is, DOES IT HAVE SEEDS?

If the answer is yes, then technically, you have a FRUIT. This, of course, makes your tomato a fruit. It also makes cucumbers, squash, green beans and walnuts all fruits as well. VEGETABLES such as, radishes, celery, carrots, and lettuce do NOT have seeds (that are part of what we eat) and so they are grouped as vegetables.”

By these definitions, a pumpkin is a fruit, botanically speaking. So are squash and zucchini.

Modern society commonly refers to all these fruits as vegetables:
Pumpkin
Squash
Tomato
Cucumbers
Green beans
Capsicum peppers
Bell peppers
The definition of vegetable:
“Vegetable is a culinary term. Its definition has no scientific value and is somewhat arbitrary and subjective. All parts of herbaceous plants eaten as food by humans, whole or in part, are generally considered vegetables. Mushrooms, though belonging to the biological kingdom, fungi, are also commonly considered vegetables…Since ‘vegetable’ is not a botanical term, there is no contradiction in referring to a plant part as a fruit while also being considered a vegetable. Given this general rule of thumb, vegetables can include leaves (lettuce), stems (asparagus), roots (carrots), flowers (broccoli), bulbs (garlic), seeds (peas and beans) and of course the botanical fruits like cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, and capsicums.” (Wikipedia.org)

This is the correct answer for all your food trivia pursuits:
If you are speaking in a botanical, scientific context, then pumpkin, tomato, capsicum, cucumber, tomato and squash are FRUITS because they all have seeds. If you are speaking in culinary terms, they can all be properly called VEGETABLES.

Case solved, right? Not quite. The United States Supreme Court entered into this fascinating debate and gave a legal verdict on whether a tomato should be classified as a vegetable or a fruit. They decided unanimously, in Nix versus Hedden, 1883, that a tomato is a vegetable, even though it is a botanical fruit.

So, there you have the difference between fruit and vegetable and an amazing nutrition fact. A tomato is a fruit AND a vegetable. A pumpkin is a fruit AND a vegetable. The age-old question of "Is it a fruit or vegetable?" has been resolved. Next, we will tackle "Which came first - the chicken or the egg?" (You do know it was the chicken first, right?)

Here is the link: http://vegetablegardens.suite101.com..._or_vegetable_

aguerin 11-06-2007 08:10 AM

Nicole the Teacher. I did not know any of that (other than a tomato was a fruit). THanks for sharing.

mgresso 11-06-2007 09:37 AM

And you could probably put a serving on top of a graham cracker or equal amounts of crumbs and add a starch the top with a bit of lite Cool Whip! Perfect Thanksgiving dessert!! That sound too good!

MomOfThreeTeens 11-07-2007 10:51 AM

I made this last night and it was really good! One serving is huge!! I wish I had had some cool whip to add to the top though! I'll do that next time for sure! What a concept, a veggie that tastes like dessert! LOL

dawn78 11-07-2007 11:18 AM

I also made this last night. I agree with you that it was a huge serving size but I thought it was just okay and that was with FF cool whip. I think it was missing something. I didn't have a strach serving left so I couldn't do Lynn's suggestion w/ crushing the fiber one so that was probably it. I'll try it again tonight w/ either fiber one or a graham cracker. I too love the idea of a vegie tasting like a dessert so I need to play around w/ this a bit. Did you make yours w/ vanilla or banana pudding?

Shy Moment 11-07-2007 11:38 AM

Heck even my old grandma knew if it has seeds it is a fruit lol. If she knew it and passed on the information it must be true lol. Pumpkin pudding as we call it has always been an all time favorite in my home. We have it a couple of times a week. Is a tasty treat that also fills in a food group very nicely. By itself or with a gram cracker crust it is always great.