Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #121  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

All you can do is your best . . . so, pick yourself up; dust yourself off; and get moving in the right direction again . . . you can do it . . . yes you can . . .
Old 12-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #122  

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome!

I have a question - are any of you not following a diet, just using the volumetrics principles? I've read a lot of the archived posts, and I think I would like to do something similar to the Weight Watchers Core plan, not count anything but just focus on lower-caloric density foods.

For example, in the newer book Barbara Rolls basically says this:

ED less than 1: Eat away.

ED 1 -2: start using portion control.

ED over 2: Limit your portions

Is anyone just doing this? I just can't diet anymore, counting calories and what-not. Is anyone just watching the caloric density of their foods? Thanks for any input on this. I almost joined Weight Watchers for their Core plan, then found out the plan and maintenance makes you count weekly points for non-Core foods. I don't even think I can count THAT! Just want some basic principles which Volumetrics seems to give us.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #123  
Onward and Downward

I count everything . . . but that's mostly because I'm a diabetic. Basically I follow the CDA Exchange system for diabetes control and throw the Volumetrics principles on top of that.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #124  

Height: 5ft 5.5in

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm going to the grocery store today, the paper just came so I can check out the coupons. I'm planning on stocking up on Volumetrics friendly foods so that I can get back on track.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

Hi everyone,
Well tonight for dinner the DB and I had chicken salad. I did today make a batch of holiday sugar cookies. The good thing is I left most of them at my parents house and I'm taking a box to school tomorrow. At the store, I finally gave in and bought a box of Clementines that I have been wanting for a few weeks. I know Clementines are healthy but those little things are so expensive.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #126  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I know, those Clementine's are good! Did you figure out what exactly you did to your foot? Twisted it or something?

Marigolds- I mostly follow the plan of aiming for low ED foods, or if I'm making something that's not, I try to add a bunch of vegetables to it to lower the ED. If you need to snack, try to include something with a low ED, or something useful like light yogurt. I think this works in the beginning, but towards the end, when you have less weight to lose you might need to keep better track. I, also, was really sick of counting and journaling, and since I've been on this plan, things have gone much easier. I've been on it for a couple of months, and have lost about 5 lbs. It goes slowly, but they say that slow is the best way to be sure it stays off. I think you really need to try to add some sort of exercise in every day, too, even if it's going up and down the stairs a few times.

Linda- I'm glad to see you're back up and running, albeit maybe slowly? Sounds like you can do like me and shovel snow for exercise!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

My experience is almost identical to ArtCat's. The first 30 pounds was pretty painless. The last five has been more difficult. I can see that counting is in my future as well as exercise. I have been on this journey since Jan 19, almost a year and lost about 35lbs. I think the most important thing is to find foods/meals that you really enjoy and that follow Volumetric principles. This takes a little experimentation and thought, but it is rewarding. I would say that you can certainly give the counting a rest for a while. I felt the same way you do. I just could not face writing, or counting anything. Since I have had some success now, I am more interested in counting.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #128  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Been out running errands mostof the day -- taking advantage of the little lull between blizzards -- got home exhausted and discovered one of the cats threw up on my keyboard. It's now cleaned up (thanks to the glass of water I threw all over it) and seems to be working, but it smells.

Have a great evening, gang . . . see you later.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #129  

Liz- I think the sore foot came from my second day of walking fast on the treadmill. I'm still wrapping it and taking it easy. I'm now a little afraid of my treadmill. My foot is slowly getting better.

Linda- Yikes, I hope your cat feels better.

Marigolds- I just try to add way more fruits and veggies into my meals.

Gail- Did you exercise as part of your weight loss?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Linda, I am at your cat yaking on your keyboard, and at teacher's well wishing.

Boy, do I know what you mean about "between blizzards". I don't think I would want to live here permanently. I can't stand the cold. Plus driving in it makes me nervous.

I have just recently started walking. Since I have been in Michigan, I haven't done anything except carry the two-year-old around a bit and run up and down the stairs. That actually feels like quite a bit of exercise. When I get home I am going to have to get busy.

I weighed myself this morning on my DIL's scale. It said I weighed 152, but I was fully and fairly heavily dressed. That is six pounds more that I last weighed at home, but I am sure I had at least three lbs of clothes and shoes on, so maybe the news won't be too bad when I get home.

I don't think I am going to reach my goal unless I get some real exercise on a regular basis. I have a couple of walking routes worked out which vary from 1/3 mile to 2 1/2 miles, so I can do more or less as circumstances permit.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #131  
Onward and Downward

Hi everybody . . .

The blanket of white stuff just keeps getting deeper and deeper . . . . . . hopefully I'll get my wrapping finished and be ready to whip off to the post office whatever day it finally stops . . . well, if my snowplow guy doesn't forget where I live.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, TEACHER. Believe me the cat is fine. He's really, really hairy and throwing up furr balls is his hobby. Sounds and looks a lot worse (from the cat's point of view) than it really is.

Too bad cats never seem to figure out that throwing up in the kitty litter would be acceptable. Everything that comes out the back is neatly deposited and covered (well usually); but anything that comes out the front just goes 'wherever'.

Hey GAIL. don't forget that no two scales every weigh the same either -- even just stepping from one to the other right beside each other, you get different numbers. Hopefully, you'll get a pleasant surprise when you get home.

Well, better get moving and shaking and get something done . . .
Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #132  

Hey everyone,
Good news my foot is sooo much better I'm not ready for the treadmill but I'm not rocking the slipper at school. The DB finished off the cookies so now I'm not tempted anymore.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #133  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Linda- I know what you mean about the cats putting the hairballs in the litter pan! That would be the best trick in the world! I'm babysitting a friend's cat right now, and I don't think she knew that any other cats existed in the world. So far I've had to keep her in a separate bedroom, and she's scared stiff of the noises from my cats outside her door. I feel bad for her, but I don't want to introduce them before she's ready. If she ever will be. Any hints, anyone?

I'm also wondering if anyone else is as bad as I am about using up all the produce you buy in time? I usually have something going bad at one time or another. I've solved this problem by having a covered bucket downstairs where I vermicompost with worms. So far it's working really well, and it doesn't smell at all. When you open the bucket you can hear the worms munching away, and it smells like fresh air, even though it looks like moldy vegetables. If anyone wants more info, I'll be glad to share it.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #134  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

Not having a great day today. My diabetic cat, Jazz, had a massive seizure/stroke this morning and has gone to that wonderful kitty play park in the sky where nothing can ever hurt him again. He was almost 14 and had had a happy life (I think).

This is not the hairball spitter, by the way.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #135  

Linda- I'm sorry about your cat

Liz- I sometimes have the same problem using up all my produce. I try to plan meals ahead of time but then life happens and it's sometimes just easier to order a pizza. I know,very bad of me. I'm hoping it's easier to stick with my plan after December.
Closed Thread