Old 10-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #1  

Default Food Diary?

I had a new counselor at WI today... she said I should be writing exact amounts of everything I eat in my diary. She said this was because she knows how much of everything I'm supposed to have... I was thinking "I know how much of everything I'm supposed to have too, and you're lucky I write as much as I do". Not to mention I lost 2 lbs since last Tuesday.

That's the first time anyone has said a word about how I'm keeping my diary. I'm just wondering how specific the rest of you are with your foods.

Thanks!
WITeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

In our old color coded diaries, Liz used to be very specific about getting in her daily amounts.. I was never as specific, which used to rile a couple of the counselors, but they couldn't argue with my consistant weight loss, so eventually, it was taken for granted that I was getting in what I needed to get in.

It's always best to write down as much as you can, especially if you're going through a plateau. If you don't write everything down as clearly as possible, they might not be able to give you advice and counseling as accurately as they might if they know for sure what you're eating...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #3  

One of my counselors told me to do the same thing. I told her that I follow exactly what is written in the program book, so she can check there to see how much of each thing I ate!!!! Come on ----- that is rediculous in my opinion!
3meows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I write down the amounts too because like Dan pointed out, if I hit a plateau it is much easier for the counselor to look at what I am eating and suggest modifications. I can also see the other point of view too, if you are eating exact amounts of the foods you list, then that should work too. I think whatever works best for you, is what you should follow.

Just my 2 cents
Roberta
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #5  

My counselor just made the same comment I have to start writing in the amounts
MastiffGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #6  
Purple with Lites

Height: 5'5"

I log my food choices and amounts in my diary; if I feel particularly full or hungry that day I note that too. I also enter my WL for the week in the diary, this allows me to track what is working and what is not working. It's a pain but I am used to doing it and I do find it helpful especially when I am out of ideas I can go back in my diary and find what worked in the past. Also, I list my 'off plan' choices and highlight them, in case my WL is not as I hoped I can see immediately why! Maybe I am nutz but I have found it works for me and I need all the information I can get to help myself!
AvidKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #7  

Thanks All! I'll try to be more specific, I suppose it'll depend on the amount of time I have each day...
Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

I suppose I write big, as I had a heck of a time fitting in too much information into the diary. I am surprised they could read my handwriting at all, since it is so bad, but really some counselors are just looking for something to say.
I found no matter what you are doing, a few counselors will find something to criticize you on. They feel it is what you are paying them for. Don't take it as an acusation that they think you are big cheater.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Teresa, I write down what time I eat, the measurements of the food I eat, and a good descrip of what I eat. You are losing great now, which is awesome, but if like Dan said, you hit a plateau at some point, this will help not only the counsellors, but the dietician if they fax your diary to the him/her.
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

Barbra, I am with you, I could never get everything to fit in that tiny diary!
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #11  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

When I was losing, and for the first few months after I stabalized, I actually kept my diary open as a word document. And yes, I had very specific amounts written.

Plus, now that I'm going back to crazy season with work, I will be back to diarying and measuring everything out the night before. It's the only way I keep myself from hitting the vending machine for sugar rushes. Plus, how I look at it is, last year following plan I dropped 2 sizes during x-mas season, if I'm anal again this year I could reasonably get myself down another size. : Hey the last time I wore a size 6 I was 6!
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #12  

Megan, I like the idea of a word document! My handwriting is so big that I really don't have room to be very specific in my diary. I already have a template from when I lost my food diary, so it shouldn't be too difficult...

How do you organize your printouts? A binder?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #13  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

I could never fit everthing into the diary either, and I am a freak about not wanting the counselors to scribble all over my diary (makes me crazy!!) so I would print a copy of my menu for the day, and place checkmarks next to the item when I ate it. It also kept me from 'tossing' in an item I hadn't planned on.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #14  

I was writing: "1/2 c. egg beaters with 2 pieces of cal. light wheat bread...."

My counselor said, "Honey, you don't have to be that specific. Just put eggs and toast."
Dee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #15  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

I would print out 3-4 days at a time (or when I moved onto a fresh page) then just hold them together with a binder clip.

Granted I can be OCD about some things, so I keep all my LAWL stuff in a portable file folder. Makes it easier to keep track of everything.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote