Old 07-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #1  
LAWL Chick

S/C/G: 191.6/145/135

Default For any Oregon Members

Hi everyone! I found this article and I thought I'd share it with those of you who are doing the plan in Oregon because I think there are a few. Please note that the centers here are a franchise and this suit is only against this franchise. Also, I didn't really have many problems with my center, in fact I even went back a second time after the birth of my baby. I thought I'd post this because there is the potential that we could get money back.

http://www.katu.com/news/business/8495997.html
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #2  
Justforfun

S/C/G: 202/187/146

Height: 5'4''

I certainly agree with alot of what is said in the article about the misinformation that we received when we joined LAWL. I was put on the wrong plan after I had surgery, no longer losing weight they insisted I was plateauing for 3 months. After asking numerous times to be changed back to my old plan the manager finally "allowed" me to do so. Of course by then my weeks were almost up so they then decided I wasn't following plan the way I was s'pose to (by truthfully telling them I forgot to eat my bars, guess you need to lie about that) but they would "give" me my 12 weeks back for free. What a joke. Of course then they informed me I needed to purchase more LA lites, another couple hundred dollars in their pockets. It is also true about the staff not being from the medical field but yet they are trained to take your bp and medical info. What a crock. I finally had enough of their bull and quit. They gave me a whopping $167.00 back out of the $1800.00 I spent. How big of them. Now I am stuck with 100 boxes of lites because they will not give you a refund. If I had the know-how I would definitely try to get my money back, but it takes more than one person before someone will listen and help. Thanks for letting me vent.
Justforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for posting the article Kristi. I am in Oregon too, just joined LAWL 2 weeks ago and cannot use the Lites because of the soy. I have really liked my experience so far and hope this law suit doesn't shut the place down since I just paid for 58 weeks (the $249 special they are running).

I think that so many different people have varied experiences with the different centers depending on who they talk to and that is sad. Also, the article mentions blood pressure, I have been to the center 3 times and have not had mine taken. I would not let a non-medical person take my blood pressure, that is what I have my doctor for. So far, as I said, it has not been an issue.
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 PM   #4  

Thanks Kristi, interesting article for sure. My husband and I joined LAWL a couple weeks ago here in the Portland area also, and similar experience -- three or four days after joining they offered us the "discount" if we paid for all our Lites upfront, which would mean an extra $1,200 or so on top of what we'd already paid for 50 weeks of weight loss plus stabilization and maintenance. Well fortunately for us, we'd already read about the Luna bars here and said "no thank you". To make a long story short, I went to get weighed Thursday and I was up 2.2 lbs (TOM water weight I imagine, because I've been sticking to the plan) and the counselor, who is also the Asst. Director, looks me straight in the eye and says "well, if you aren't going to use OUR bars then you shouldn't be using any bars at all. We could give you some extra food. To which I replied, "the Luna bars are nutritionally equivalent to the Lites, they are food, and actually I find they help stave off my sweet tooth." So after my husband goes in to get weighed today the center calls our house and says they want us to come in for a "progress update" to get measured again, and (oh goody) I get to meet with one of the managers. As if spending my time going there twice a week isn't enough and they couldn't catch me then? No, they wanted to make a specific appointment. Does that seem odd?
Luckybustert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #5  

Suz

I got a call today to make an appointment for a "progress update" too. I thought it was just because I have been on the program for 2 1/2 weeks so far. Maybe they are going to unroll the new :feel full" program soon.

Which center do you go to? Mine is a franchise (I asked).

Roberta
Old 07-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #6  

I go to the one in Tanasbourne - the KATU article indicates it is a franchise too. So what is the "feel full" program?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #7  

I go to the same one. The "Feel Full' program is a new program that takes the place of the color coded ones. There is a thread here that people who have been switching to the new plan have been posting to. I asked about it last week and they were surprised that I knew about it. They are going to training for it soon, so I guess it is coming our way.

Maybe it is in response to the lawsuit that was filed against the LAWL (is it just the one in Lake Oswego?)
Old 07-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 291/258/249 (mini goal)

Height: 5'8"

I just wanted to comment on something "Shshshhh" said...

You mentioned joining for 52 weeks, that you had bought the $249 plan. I joined on the same plan, but had my lawyer look it over (ok, he's my brother-in-law!) because after reading so much negative press I was scared to death of being ripped off. We discussed my questions and then I talked with the center manager to make sure everyone was on the same page... but here's the skinny on the $249 "Lose all the weight you can!" plan:

You have as long as it takes to lose all your weight, NOT just one year. The advertisement (which I kept) plainly says you can lose it all for the $249... it says nothing about how long it will or should take. In theory you could gain, lose, gain, lose for the next five years and still be a member without paying another dime. Of course no one wants that, but I think the added pressure of a do-or-die deadline can intimidate some. What's also interesting is that when I talked this over with the center (making it clear that I had every intention on getting the weight off according to their timeline), my counselor suggested I shoot for the lowest possible weight for my height... not that I would really shoot for it, but by doing so it would allow me to remain a member potentially forever! I don't buy any of their products so I know it wasn't merely a ploy to get Lite $ out of me.

About three weeks after I joined I saw that the ad had changed; it's now "Lose all the weight you want for only $8 a pound!" My guess is other people saw the loophole and corporate fixed it pronto.

Nikki
CharliesHotMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #9  

The franchisee, NWM, Inc., is headquartered in Lake Oswego and operates several locations: "Clackamas, Corvallis, Eugene, Gresham, Lloyd (Portland), McMinnville, South Salem, Sherwood, Tanasbourne (Portland), Washington Square (Tigard), and Wilsonville. It also operated locations in Bend and North Salem."

Will you be meeting with them soon? We couldn't schedule a meeting for both of us to be there until week after next because of my husband's work schedule. Am very curious what this is about.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #10  
LAWL Chick

S/C/G: 191.6/145/135

I believe that all of the centers in Oregon are franchises run by the same company, the one headquartered in Lake Oswego. The lawsuit is against the entire company and includes all of the centers in Oregon.

Funny, I used to go to the Tanasbourne center, too!
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #11  

I will be going on Wednesday and will definitely post here and let you'all know what the meeting is about. I requested to meet with my favorite counselor and the girl who called me said she would schedule it with her.

Have a great week.