Too many starches yesterday - what to do today???

• Question for you all, as I know you all have wonderful advice and can help me out!

I ate a few too many starches yesterday - 2-3 extra to be exact (didn't plan my supper and forgot a Lite at home, so I was starving when it came time to eat and the bread basket was looking REALLY good)! I tried to counter-balance it a bit and worked out last night and drank a ton of water. Now today, I was going to try and only have 1 starch and keep my water up a bit (I'm on the Purple plan w/Lites). So my question is, what do you do on those bad days when you do go over - do you try to limit the next day or two, or chalk it up to a learning experience and follow the plan the rest of the week? I'm only 3 weeks into this program, and so it's all still new and I'm getting used to things. Thanks so much for any help/advice you can provide!!!
  • First of all, don't beat yourself up about it. Continue the water and add lemon to it. Today, you go back to follow the purple plan. I know it is tempting to undereat today to make up for going over a little yesterday, but the best thing is to dust yourself off and go back to the plan. Just put it behind you and go on....
  • just chalk it up to under planning and move on. it's all a learning experience. no biggie. you're aware of what you need to do in the future as far as planning and whatnot. that's all we can do sometimes!
  • I agree-- just get back to your regular plan
  • Eat all your servings but try to choose the lighter choices - fish, chicken, 40 cal bread, etc. Eating less will just send your body into mini-starvation mode and it will store what little you eat as fat. Getting back on plan will keep your metabolism stoked.

Melissa
  • I agree w/everyone else. Just jump back on the wagon, have your lemon water, choose lighter choices, but get everything in. If you skimp early on in the day, you will be hungry later and may just overeat the starches again tonight.

We all have off-days. Having only one and then getting back on program is what will keep you successful.
  • Can I add a question? I was told that drinking warm lemon water helps...does it also help if you add lemon to the cold water you are drinking daily?
  • Yes and no. We've had discussions about this before, and a few people have done the research and posted the articles about it, but basically the hot water helps release the enzymes in the lemon and gets it into your system somehow to release any retained fluid.

I know that's not the exact explanation, but it's in the vicinity. I'm not a science person. But I hope it helps.
  • Thanks everyone - back on track and will keep plugging away! I was wondering about the ice water/lemon thing too, so it's good to know I should make it a warm water and lemon (darn, as I just had 2 glasses of ice water with lemon at lunch!). Thanks again for your wisdom!!!
  • In case anyone else is confused like I was...
    I finally asked about the hot lemon water, and was told to squeeze a lemon wedge into a cup, drop the squeezed wedge in the cup, and pour the hot water over the lemon. I'd just been using the lemon juice, and when I started using the whole wedge it helped a lot!