Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #76  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Sorry GAIL . . . just realized that I really didn't give you a full answer about the peas -- as veggies go, peas are higher on the ED scale. They are 0.8 as compared to the green beans which are 0.3 -- but no vegetable has a really high ED. Even potatoes are only 1.1 (unless french-fried, of course, and then they hit 3.2 ). Any vegetable and any fruit (not canned in syrup - in the natural form) are good choices because they contain lots of natural water and natural fibre.

Have a good day, gang. Keep things moving and shaking and I'll see you all later. . .
Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone,
Hope your week is starting off well! Mine, not so great, since I opened my email this morning to find only 25 of the 6,000 messages in my inbox. Ah, webmail.

Gail, I don't have the original recipe anymore, but that salsa amount is what I used for my husband and my dinners. I heavily spice the fish, but then, I love spicy food. (I remember the recipe didn't call for enough spice, imo). I bet you could transfer the recipe to chicken breast fairly easily (more cooking time), if your husband would eat that instead.

Hi Liz! Welcome to the group!

Meowee, good news on your weight loss, hope it holds up for your official weigh in tomorrow! You have done such an amazing job, especially considering your health and surgery obstacles---losing weight is hard even without those issues, but I think it's a real testament to how hard you are working!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Karina, yesterday I woke up to no email at all. When I click on read mail, it says the program isn't set up - here is the set-up wizzard etc. I can access it through my ISP, but all the saved stuff isn't there. What the heck?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #79  

Height: 5ft 5.5in

Unhappy

Hi all, discouraged this week. I followed the plan and gained a pound! Last week I gained a pound too but that week wasn't the best due to various factors. But I'll keep on following Volumetrics and eventually the weight will go back in the down direction instead of the up direction.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:39 AM   #80  

Hi all,

I bought the "other" volumetrics book, the Healthy Eating one. (I really can't remember the official titles, but I'm sure most of you know which ones I'm talking about). I do really like this one because it has so many more recipes in it.

I continue to be amazed at how much food I can eat on this plan. In fact, a lot of the time, I get full before I can finish what I planned to eat. This has NEVER happened to me on any other plans. I quite enjoy it.

By the way, I can't remember who mentioned them, but I tried the Blueberry Applesauce muffins in the book and they were AWESOME!!! They were very moist and tasted really good. I will definitely be keeping that recipe handy for future breakfasts/snacks. Does anyone know if you can freeze them?

I hope everyone is having a good week!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #81  

Good morning all - happy birthday USA!

zest4life - Yes you can freeze the blueberry applesauce muffins. The Blueberries get a little stickier and stain your fingers if you aren't careful, but they freeze beautifully. I have 2 batches of them in the freezer now. When I want a treat I take one out and zap it in the microwave to thaw. People at work didn't even know they were "diet" food when I brought a batch in for everyone to try.

I got my ziploc zip'n steam bags in the mail yesterday, only 10 days or so after I ordered them from the ziploc site. They aren't in the stores yet, there was an ad in the Sunday coupon section a couple of weeks ago. I'll try them out tonight when I make some fish.

We were supposed to have a cook out today with friends but that has gone by the wayside. It's supposed to pour all day so a cook out would have to be a cook in. And to top it off, J tripped while running Monday and tore a ligament in his ankle. He's scheduled for surgery tomorrow! I told him it served him right for being such a fitness buff! So instead of traditional hot dogs and and hamburgers, I'll have more diet friendly swordfish and watch Yankee Doodle Dandy on one of the cable channels.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #82  
Onward and Downward

Hi

Sorry I've been missing again . . . My Son and family have been visiting from Alberta for a couple of days and it has been hectic. So . . . . all six cats and their human serving wench (me) are planning to veg-out for the rest of today . . . we are all exhausted. But it was a great visit. However, I ate way, way, way too much . . . suffice it to say, I'm back up to 229.4 (so much for the 227), but at least that is 0.4 down from last week, so I will change my ticker at long last. Must be that all the extra walking doing multi touristy type things along both the boardwalk and the beach that saved me a little.

Anyway, things are going to get back to normal now. Have a great moving and shaking day Chickies . . . I'll see you again really soon . . .
Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #83  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 375/322/175

Height: 5'7"

I'm intrigued with the muffin idea and recipe. And since I'm totally new to volumetrics, I don't know which book you're talking about! So PLEASE take a second and let me know the title/author of the book? I'd love to get one that's got a lot of recipes as I love to cook too.

bobbigene - How did you like the ziploc zip'n steam bags? I went and checked out the deal at the ziploc website & was thinking of getting some, but I'd love to hear your opinion of them first.

THANKS!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #84  
Onward and Downward

Hi Gang . . .

Elizabeth . . . . . . Here's the info you're looking ofr . . .

The first link shows a picture of the book The Volumetrics Eating Plan which is the one with the most recipes, although it will definitely tell you all about the basic principles of the plan, too.

http://dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowConten...ts_labels.html

The second link shows a picture of the original book The Volumetrics Weight Control Plan. It has fewer recipes, but explains the science behind the plan in more detail.

http://www.amazon.com/Volumetrics-We...3638802&sr=8-2

Both are by Barbara Rolls and both are available from Amazon. If you decide to purchase from Amazon, please use the "Store" button at the end of the navigation bar at the top of the forum page to link to the Amazon site. A small percentage of all sales through that link will be used to help support our favourite FREE site -- 3FC.

Have a great moving and shaking day, everybody . . . See you soon

Last edited by meowee; 07-05-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #85  

wings2fly - Regarding the Zip n' Steam bags from Ziploc, I thought they did a great job on veggies, but not so good on the swordfish. But since swordfish is more like beef than fish when you cook it, I think that was the problem. I wouldn't steam a steak! I put them in a pan and seared them since I didn't like the way they were just steamed and they were much better. I'll try something like cod or flounder next time. The bags come with a couple of recipes that look interesting. You aren't supposed to re-use them except as storage for what you originally cooked in them. Don't want to risk cross contamination! For what they charge on the site, you get quite a few bags - I'm betting I won't be buying any more of them any time soon. I like to grill a lot of my veggies and most do just fine in the microwave in a bowl using a plate as a cover. The broccoli was really good from the bag. Cauliflower and Brussel sprouts will be my next try.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #86  
Onward and Downward

Hi everybody . . .

Just a quick little from me today . . . it's our annual Lobster Carnival weekend and (as usual) it looks like lots of rain in the forecast . . . however, the town will be full of tourists and parades and musical extravaganzas (i.e., much noise) anyway.

Hey . . . Lobster is (like all shell-fish) pretty low on the ED scale (about 1.1) . . . as long as you stay away from the drawn-butter and luckily that is not a problem for me, I like my seafood as plain as possible.

See you later, gang . . . keep things moving and shaking . . .
Old 07-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 237/237/137

Height: 5'3"

Hello All!

Sue from Nevada here - someone asked where - Boulder City. And it is HOT, HOT, HOT!

I have been reading the posts, but this is the first chance for me to write some more. I hit my all time high in weight the other day - NOT because of Volumetrics, but because I have been unprepared and consequently have eaten whatever is easiest. Probably most of you know this, but the Mayo Clinic Diet Plan refers to the Energy Density of foods also.

Hearing from each of you is so enjoyable.

Sue
Old 07-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #88  

Default Lobster

OMG, it never hit me that I could have lobster! I guess I think of it as being so rich that it couldn't possibly be on the low end of the ED scale. Guess I'll be visiting my fish monger!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #89  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 375/322/175

Height: 5'7"

THANKS for answering my questions Bobbigene & Meowee!!! I'm going to have to add those books to my list to buy! Think I'll pass on the bags. Maybe I'll just get a few when they hit the stores to play with them then.

For everyone: What are some favorite meals/recipes that you've discovered on this plan?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #90  

Yahoo!! I lost the 2 pounds I'd gained and then another for good measure. Yup, this girl is back on track.
Closed Thread