thinking about joining

• hi- i have been lurking here for awhile.....and thinking of joining, i have an appt today. i am a little nervous about the cost to say the least.
    the center i called has a 50% discount, i would like to lose about 40 lbs, what do you think i can expect as a cost?
    also, re the lites, i have heard they are expensive, and i know people talk about substituting. the other thing i am wondering about is the amt of soy, i do not think i want to supplement with soy on a daily basis.
    i lost weight in 2005/2006 on WW....then slowly have gained it back, lately i feel like i am in some sort of desperation phase and just continuing to eat, i feel like i need a new start, hence thought maybe lawl would be the thing.
    what do you all think? do i go for it??? or do i just buckle down and follow a sensible program at home? or back to WW???
    thanks, chris
    any info on why you like or do not like lawl would be great!
  • hi- I too was very apprehensive about joining due to the cost. I went in with the mind set that I was only going to tell them I wanted to loose 20lbs.(I really need to loose about 30-35) They quoted one price ($800approx) then when I said that was too much they did their magic calculator thing and then came up with ($600 Approx)...well this was still way too much for my budget. I finally ended up doing the 8 week body makeover ($399). This was one of the best investments I have made for ME in a long time!! It really helped me get a new start and see how much I was actually eating every day. I am on week 5 and have lost 11lbs. The 8 week body make over includes bars and the take off juice. Personally I love the bars, but I know you can do the program without them. Hope this info helps. I know how frustrated you feel right now...good luck with whatever decision you make.
  • Hi Chris,

If you haven't, read this thread about the program: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104658. It will answer a lot of your questions.

I paid about $750 to lose 73 lbs. I had a coupon to lose all the weight I wanted for the price of 15 lbs. though. Also, I do not do the bars or supplements which greatly add to the expense. I simply informed them I was soy intolerant and had IBS when I went in for my initial consultation. I am on an all food plan and it is working really well for me.

I am also a refuge of WW. I have lost weight successfully on their plan 2 times but the last time it just did not work for me. Unfortunately, I think the point system has become to lax for me and I need more structure. Of course, with WW, you can pay as you go so you don't really realize the amount of money you are investing over time. With LAWL, you do pay the cost upfront. So, there can be some sticker shock. However, I think that in the long run, the cost is comperable.

Either way, can you really put a value on your health and self-esteem? That is what it came down to for me and I decided I was worth every penny of my investment.

Good luck on whatever path you choose. And, if you end up doing LAWL, remember this forum is a great source of support and encouragement. Not to mention laughs.
  • thanks for your responses...i did go today, this cod is offering 50%. so to lose about 40 lbs with the discount, it was @$440...i have pretty much decided i would not do bars, not only are they too expensive, i am not sure about supplementing with soy on a daily basis, (strong history of breast cancer and soy is controversial)
    so i may do it......i am a little uncertain right now.....but i really need to lose this weight and i just want a slightly different approach than WW, although, unlike most, i like those meetings.....see i am waffling.
  • Well.. you need to make up your mind for sure.. $440 seems like a lot of money, but imagine what you're spending on food you shouldn't be eating... With the plan, you force yourself to be accountable...

Once you're on the plan, there is no wiggle room.. You have to be dedicated for it to work... The three times a week WI's help keep us on the straight and narrow and unlike WW, the "pay up front" way the plan works keeps us going so that we get our money's worth.

As for soy... Are you a BC survivor, or is it that your family has a history of it? Many studies have found that soy is a good preventer of breast cancer, but other studies say that it could be a problem for women who are BC survivors...

If you're still wavering, take your time and continue to read along with our threads.. We all have our ups and downs, but overall, most of us have had good success with LAWL...