Dairy

• My gold plan says I can have one dairy a day, but with all the new research saying 3 a day is best for women, has anyone asked their couselor? I know dairy is helpful in preventing osteoporosis, among other things (good for weight loss too).
  • If you ask they will tell you to take a calcium supplement (and then try to sell you theirs).

I take two Tums cocoa and creme every day. Actually quite yummy. I know others take various forms. But, unfortunately, no more real dairy exchanges until maintenance. (Right Kristen? Enjoying that pudding, Kristen?)
  • LOL, I was just thinking a glass of skim milk or something would do the trick Cassi!!! Just so you know, I just finished my lunch of baked salmon and steamed veggies!!!! NOT CHEATING YET
  • Hi Kristen.. it's the other Kristen here! The pudding joke from dear Cassi I think was meant for me I just entered stabilization and have been given an extra dairy serving a day.. I am going all out on nonfat lattes and sugar free pudding.. heavenly
    But I had to work hard to get that dairy back ! I have always taken a calcium supplement and did use the LAWL when given a free sample but any you buy are comparable.. and much cheaper.. welcome to the forum.. we're glad to have you!
  • Duh... totally missed you were Kristen too!
  • Under the advice of my eye candy orthopedist (I swear only me would be a klutz then have the luck of the fact that the on-call doctor that day is Dr. Gorgeous, ok I digress) I pop 1500 mg of calcium a day in addition to a serving of dairy.

For me that's a viactiv with lunch, one post workout, and one at bed. I typiclaly halve my dairys and break them up through out the day.

Yes, of course I'm looking forward to the fact that I can add on the second dairy in 2 weeks. Frankly, I'm already tired of the extra 2 servings of veggies a day. I don't like eating a rabbit's diet.
  • Cassi..........you know my family doc back in Wisconsin recommended popping a tums or two for calcium supplement. It's pretty cheap, and he said your body can actually use the calcium the way it is dosed in Tums. I would have NEVER thought of that.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. Glad to have another Kristen on here, and hey, you look amazing, GREAT JOB!!!
    I think I might try the viactiv....a little more expensive, but Id much rather chew chocolate than tums (Im not a fan of swallowing chalk!) Ive finished out my first week everyone! I did like 3 or 4 POP days, the others werent terrible though. Im down 2.5 lbs
  • I'm not a fan of the chalk either, but for some reason the cocoa ones are actually yummy.
  • Cassi- I bought some of those last night. Seems all my healthy eating has caused me to have acid reflux...isnt that just freaking great? LOL Start eating healthy to improve my life and it gives me something totally new! So right now TUMS are going to be my friend! LOL
  • At least you'll get your calcium! Must be all the veggies. Red peppers leave me with their taste for hours. Ew.
  • Does anyone split up their Dairy for the day? For example 1/2 cup skim milk and 1/2 yogurt?
  • 9 out of 10 days I split the dairy into 2 half portions. I find that just works the easiest for me.

Actually, the one LA Dairy is 2 servings of dairy. I know when I use the 2 % shredded cheese the serving is 1/4 cup. When I measured out 2 ounces, it was half a cup of cheese. Thus why I split the cheese.