Are you still wearing your baggie clothes?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Just thought I'd throw this question out there to everyone!!!!

Are you still wearing your baggie cloths?

My cloths are bigger and I know I want to buy the new pants the tops still fit but are alot looser but look better. I guess what I'm asking did anyone ever have the fear that if they buy cloths that fit that people will stop noticing that you lost weight or that you will feel big again???? I know in reason that if they fit tight again I will contunie to fight this battle of the fat....but ..... I'm finding it scary to buy the new ones....I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue

Thanks
  • I kept wearing some of my bigger clothes, but eventually it got too uncomfortable. Plus since it's getting warmer out, I had to get some new summery clothes anyway. I actually felt much better about myself when I switched to the smaller size, and I think people have noticed MORE, not less.

I can see why you would find it intimidating, but I think it's just a matter of finding clothes that you like and that you're comfortable in. Everybody looks better in their proper size, you just have to work on the confidence to wear them!
  • Since I splurged on new smaller clothes, people are actually noticing my weight loss MORE.
  • Danette, I haven't spent much on new clothes, since I'm only mid-journey...not to mention I have all the ones I had previously 'out grown', but I did recently buy 1-2 things. I desperately needed a new pair of pants for work, and a skirt. I have had more comments on my weight loss when wearing those than I ever had when wearing the too big stuff. I also just think it makes you feel better when you showcase what you've done. You feel proud of yourself, and it shines through in your mood/face etc. I say treat yourself to something that can be a transitional piece...like pants a teensy bit tight right now, which will be fine in a month, and then baggy after that. I did hate to spend the money, but I can take in the skirt later if needed, and the pants, well, you just need pants!
  • It's a mental challenge...every day. You will have to practice telling yourself that you WON'T go back to the bigger size and buying smaller clothes that actually fit your new shape is a GOOD thing. Okay...repeat after me...LOL
  • I still wear some of my jeans that are too big, but I've had to buy new black jeans as part of my work uniform. We get a uniform allowance, but only once a year, so I've had to wait until now to order them and have them paid by the state.

I just started buying new shirts becuase my old ones were literally hanging off me.. Some of them were XXXL shirts and now, in some styles, I'm wearing L's... So you can see how awful my big one would look... When I wear the big ones, I look gaunt and unhealthy, but with my new shirts, I look much better...
  • I have thought about this and actually went to the store. I have to keep jerking my pants up when I go on my walks and some of my shirts are falling of my shoulders now but when I went to the store I'm only 1 size smaller. I refuse to buy one size smaller. I'm digging thru my closet and finding shirts that fit but no pants. I just don't want to spend money on big girl clothes. Maybe when I hit 18. Until then I'll get a rope and tie em up.
  • I would splurge and go buy a few new things, but not too much! I bought one pair of size 12 capris for this spring/summer and was only in them a week and can now wear my size 10's {Which I've been keeping in my closet in the bag with tags on them just in case}. I would just get a few things to tide you over plus it will make you feel so good getting new smaller clothes!!
  • At first, I felt the same way you did about buying smaller clothes....that people may not notice my weight loss as much. But it really does feel better to wear clothes that fit, I have received me so many great comments!!! I think the biggest problem I had was getting rid of the bigger clothes from my closet. It wasn't until just a couple weeks ago that I actually donated them to our local mission. This has given me great accountability not to gain back all of my weight.
  • Okay girls, get RID of those bigger clothes! You do not need the "What if I gain and need these again" crutch. Buy clothes at second hand shops while you are losing quickly and changing sizes often. When it is too big, it has to go!
  • I discovered today that wearing the clothes that fit as opposed to the old baggy clothes really does show off your weight loss. After losing 28 pounds I was really starting to feel bummed that nobody had noticed. Today I wore a new shirt that I had bought before I started LAWL that was too small at the time. Finally somebody noticed that I had lost weight and they commented how in this shirt you could really tell.
  • I must admit that also have tons of clothes in bigger sizes that need to GO!! My closet is bursting at the seams and most of it is stuff that is too big. I've only bought a few smaller things. In fact, I only have one pair of jeans in my new size (have bought mostly new capris), and now it's going to be cool this weekend. Gonna have to find some time to go shopping 'cause DH and I are going out of town together (NO KIDS!!), and I want to look good for him...not like a slob in baggy clothes!!
  • I had no choice but get new cloths. The 16 falls off me, and the 14's just sag. My co-workers naged me to death, so I broke down and got some 12. Now they're too big... The biggest problem is work cloths. Mostly skirts in 14-16s... So I've been getting some 10-12 from clearance racks. I'm thinking of going to Goodwill or any second store, to find some more 10-12 to tie me over. My goal is size 8...

The day I found out that the size 10 Levis jeans buttons just fine... I got rid of all my 16s --- I am NOT going back to that size!! And I've put up all the 14 pants to the side. They're too baggy anyways. I would give them away, but some of them were my favoraites, and it's hard to part with them!! You won't believe how much space I found in that bitty closet since then!! More room for my 10s!!

Also, if you wear more fitting cloths, the weightloss is indeed a WHOLE LOT MORE NOTICABLE!!

Oh, my other problem now is swimwear.... I'd like to buy my new swimsuit for my July's Summer Vacation. But I still see my self as a 12, though 10 jeans fit. So I don't know if I should buy my Tankini in a 10? or a 12? Maybe I should buy both?.... Life is full of doubts...
  • Yes, wearing clothes that actually fit will show your weight loss more! It's a great idea to pick up a few things that fit. You could also take in some of your existing clothes if you sew, but I vote for new pieces entirely.

I buy all of my "in between" clothes from second-hand and thrift stores. I was buying new, but I got frustrated when a new pair of $50 jeans were too big so soon.

Great job on your loss!
  • The pants I'm wearing today are too big! (Thank goodness!) I have to hike them up before I walk out of my office.. hello? ebay??