Old 05-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Thanks for the information, I'm eating that plus everyday. Have you tired Fiber One cereal, it has more fiber than any cereal on the market(14 g). Flat Outs have 9 grams of fiber.
I have been using fiber one. I learned about it through this website. Today I had it on yogurt mixed with fresh strawberries. I have not been able to find flat outs. Is that what it says on the package? Is it usually in the bread isle or is where the deli is or tortillas are? I found a tortilla that has flax, oat bran & whole wheat flour. 6 grams of fiber to 70 calories. I had that this morning with 1 tbsp of fresh ground peanut butter and 1/2 banana. I have not had the time to total my days fiber/calories. I write it all down on little pieces of paper with the intentions to transfer it to a notebook that I am trying to maintain.. perhaps this weekend I can start a log...
I can't be having that many calories though. for lunch I had veggie lentil soup and tonight I had a salad with whatever I could think of to fiber it up.. weigh in tomorrow!
delarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #17  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
I have not been able to find flat outs. Is that what it says on the package? Is it usually in the bread isle or is where the deli is or tortillas are?
Delarimi...The Flat Out's are called "Flat Out wraps" I can only find them at our local Super Wal*Mart store. They are not with the tortillas or bread. If you have a Wal*Mart, they are always in the same place at all stores, under the deli counter on a low rack on the floor.
Nikki... Mango... Peeled, w/o seed...1 oz. = 0.3 grams of fiber and 18 calories per oz.

Tuesdays calories 1,215... 51 grams of fiber
Wednesday calories 1221...56 grams of fiber
Thursday calories 1169...60 grams of fiber
Friday calories 1178...59 grams of fiber

Have a great week-end, Bobbi
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Hummus Recipe

Here you go!

Hummus

2c cooked garbanzos*
1/4c tahini
2-4 peeled garlic cloves
1-2T lemon juice (I use more because I use Meyer lemons which are sweeter)
salt to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
1-2T olive oil (optional~ I rarely add this)

Put everthing in a food processor and blend until smooth. You may need to add water or cooking liquid to get the proper consistency. I like to sprinkle with smoked paprika and fresh parsley for a pretty presentation.

*I like to peel the beans before hand to make a smoother product, but you don't have to (I mentioned how to do this in a previous post.) Also, you can use canned, but rinse well before using.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #19  

Oh, and I have a new food find to share.

I'd sworn off of pretzels because they are just salty carbs, but I missed them because they were a great low-fat fix for snack attacks. Newman's Organics make a pretzel that has 5g of protein and 4g of fiber per serving (22 pretzels.) I know that's not a ton of fiber, but it's a lot better than most pretzels. They list yellow pea flour as an ingredient. I'd assume that is what ups the protein and fiber.

I'm very excited, because I've sworn off of chips and sometimes I crave crunchy food. BTW, they are yummy.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #20  
Bobbi

Zenor... Thanks for posting your recipe, I just made a copy and will tackle it tomorrow.
I stopped eating pretzels too, I'll check out the Newmans. How's the salt content?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Zenor... Thanks for posting your recipe, I just made a copy and will tackle it tomorrow.
I stopped eating pretzels too, I'll check out the Newmans. How's the salt content?
230mg per serving (my sodium is usually under the RDA~so as long as I don't go crazy on these I'll be okay)
Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #22  

Default new recipe

I have been busy and have not been able to post this recipe, but really wanted to share it because I loved it so much. Not sure what it is called. I call it bean stew. 1 cup serving = 398 calories amd 13 grams of fiber

2 T olive oil (I used) or cooking spray
15 oz tom sauce (recipe said to use no salt, I didn't)
1 c. chopped onion
1 clove garlic
2 16oz whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped (I used Tottorosso brand italian style peeled plum shaped tomatoes with natural basil flavor (1) 35 oz can)
14-1/2 oz can low sodium chicken broth
2 small cans diced green chiles (NOTE: I inadvertantly bought hot.. used one can and then took each one out by hand.. very hot... so you decide)
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 granny smith apples, peeled chopped
1 tablespoons chile powder
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 15 oz red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 c. slivered almonds
1/2 c low fat cheddar (did not use)
1/2 c. ff sour cream (did not use)

spray or line pan with oil or cooking spray. Cook onion, garlic until tender. Stir in tomato & liquid, tomato sauce, broth, peppers, chiles, apples, spices. bring to a boil. Reduce heat. cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kidney beans and almonds. cook uncoverted an additional 10 minutes. to serve: place in individual soup bowls and sprinke with raisins, cheese and sour cream.. makes 8 servings

If anyone makes this let me know what you think...

I lost 4 pounds!!!!! for me, this is a major deal.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #23  

Default p.s.

I added a little kosher salt to taste at the end
Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #24  
Fat Chick

S/C/G: 163/147/128

Height: 5'7"

I'd love to make it, but what's "tom sauce" Tomato?
Nikki_20216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:39 AM   #25  

Default p.s.s. recipe

the apple is a granny smith apple
and tom sauce is tomato sauce
Old 05-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #26  

Default hungry

Yesterday I was hungier than usual. I am looking for suggestions to relieve that in between meal hunger (low calorie)... I had some All Bran crackers. I only had 1/2 serving because I did not want to blow my calories at one time for a snack. I have been having a tortilla (flax seed/wheat/bran) in the morning with peanut butter and banana. Sometimes that carries me and sometimes it doesn't.
today for lunch I am going to try the lentil/barley soup. I made it last night.. was that you Zenor who posted that? If so, thanks
Old 05-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #27  
Bobbi

Delarimi... Your bean soup recipe sounds awesome, I've never heard of cinnamon/cocoa and granny smith apples in a bean soup recipe before. I'll try it, is the 398 calories as is or did you calculate that figure without the cheese and sour cream. It doesn't really matter, I'll leave out those ingredients too, put the recipe into the Fitday and get the calories per bowl. I'm going to add some celery to this recipe, I can't live without celery in soup plus it would lower the calories even more. Thanks for the recipe and I'll let you know how we like it.
Are you a working girl and need snacks in between meals? I posted a recipe for Sweet/Sour cabbage soup in one of these threads, can't remember which one. But it's really low in calories and fills you up. You could make any variation of cabbage soup with just vegetables and freeze it into individual serving sizes for a quick in-between-filler-upper.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #28  
Bobbi

Congratulations on the 4 pound loss, I got so excited to see this new version of bean soup that I forgot to congratulate you!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #29  
Bobbi

Gosh, just when I think this thread has finally died, it springs to life again! I haven't posted my fiber for the last 5 days so here goes:
6th calories 1,069 ~ fiber 53 grams
7th calories 1,206 ~ fiber 47 grams
8th calories 1,203 ~ fiber 58 grams
9th calories 1,148 ~ fiber 60 grams
10th calories 1,200 ~ fiber 54 grams
Old 05-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #30  

My fiber for yesterday~ 42 grams

Delarimi~ Congrats on the loss! I'm down two more myself and have just set a new birthday goal for myself (I just hit my first goal which was a size 12 by my birthday and I still have 8 weeks to go.)

As far as filling snacks; I try to keep my snacks around 100-150 calories and I try to get fiber and protein. That combo seems to carry me longer. Cabot Creamery makes low-fat cheddar in individual servings that are only 50 calories each and I usually pair that with rye-crisp crackers (2 crackers=52 calories.) I also like to have a mandarin orange and a 1/4c pistachios or sometimes I'll buy Cliff Nectar bars (they are around 150 cals and are only make from fruits and nuts.)

Bobbi~ I think this thread gets tired during the week, but I don't think it's sick enough to die!

Oh, and we finally got our new computer, so I will probably be on here more.