Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #61  

I was very bad today - stopped at a fast food place for lunch and did not stay on plan. However, I've planned a good dinner to make up for it. I've become complacent since I've lost some weight.
I've also been preocccupied this week. A young friend of mine is one of the injured students at Virginia Tech. She was in the French class and is one of the few who survived. She was shot 3 times but she will be okay. Her mother was in one of the first cabins I was a counselor in at the summer camp where I work and her daughter is third generation to go to our camp, so we're all a very close group. She and her family have been on my mind all week.
I think this weekend will finally have weather warm enough to get out in the yard and do some clean up work.
I agree about tofu. I do not like it. It's too much like styrofoam jello. Yuck.
Hope you all want a good weekend.
Bearcub.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #62  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh BEARCUB . . . So glad to hear your friend will be Okay . . . at least physically, I'm sure the horror will live with her for a long, long time. Awful, awful that human beings can even think to do stuff like that to their fellow beings.

Things have been just about the same as yesterday around here although the sky is brightening a little and we are supposed to get a sunny day tomorrow. Hopefully that will be good for my headache and my bad, bad eating habits and my resulting water retention.

Hopefully tomorrow will find us both 'back on track' and heading once again in that great downward direction. Try to keep things moving and shaking this evening, gang. We can win this race if we just keep doing our best as much as we possibly can . . . See you all again soon . . .
Old 04-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 257/257/200

Height: 5'10"

Wow Bearcub- That is so scary. You have a blessed friend to have been shot 3 times by that nut and live to tell the tale. My prayers are with your friend.

I have been so good since I got home from Chicago!!!!! I am really proud of myself. I guess I was so proud that I baked some chocolate chip cookies--I only ate one (still something to be proud of I think).

Gotta go to bed. Big work stuff tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:45 PM   #64  

Thanks for all your good thoughts. I think she's home now and recovering. Her parents are shielding her from the press which I think is a good thing.
I'm procrastinating about housecleaning, but it has to be done. I have enough crafts piled up that if I did a craft a day for the rest of my life I would live to be 325! I think it's part of the obsession - same idea with the food. i need to get obsessed about cleaning. Transfer the obsession!
Have a good week one and all!
Bearcub
Old 04-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #65  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Weather is lovely . . . but for some reason I can't stop shoveling food into my mouth at every rotten opportunity . . . OMG, I hope I get over this soon. Must be my phantom TOM routine. Even though I haven't had TOM for many years, I sometimes seem to get the crazy cravings . . . guess our hormones still have little peaks at times.

Glad to hear your friend is on the mend, Bearcub. And that you are having a good day. Keep it up. Hope you are having another great day, too, DJ.

Hope everybody manages to keep things moving and shaking over the rest of the weekend . . . see you soon . . .
Old 04-22-2007, 10:59 AM   #66  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . . . . . wherever you are . . . hope you are all having a great moving and shaking kind of Sunday . . . see you again really soon . . .
Old 04-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #67  

I'm using a technique which really works WHEN I actually do it - I read about it in an article talking about how to change food related behaviors. I have written down on a file card 3 reasons why it is important to me to lose weight and whenever I have the urge to overindulge or binge, I take out the card and read the 3 reasons to myself 5 times. By the time I've finished reading them to myself, the urge has passed and I've reinforced why I'm doing this. It's a form of self-behavior modification, but the fact is, when I do it, it works. The key is the repetition Over time I am supposed to get to the point where I won't need the card because I will automatically think of those reasons and avoid the binge without it. I've discovered that my need to eat, that little devil that sits in the back of my mind and says, "Wouldn't a piece of pie taste really good, or a KFC dinner? " , also tries to keep me from pulling that card out of my purse/pocket, so I have to really make the effort. But when I do, it does work.
Only 5 weeks till I go to camp. Yea!!!
Bearcub
Old 04-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #68  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

Wow BEARCUB . . . that sounds like a greaat idea . . . think I'll hve to try something like that.

Sorry I was MIA . . . Yesterday turned into a really busy one; just chock full of appointments of various kinds. Got off to a rotten start with a really low blood glucose level, picked up with a great scale reading (more on that later), picked up even further with an earlier booking to get the cataract surgery on the second (right) eye - Monday, April 30; instead of May 9 - so that gives me more healing time before the 'biggie' (the hysterectomy) on June 7, ended with a craving for Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup for dinner ( I really should know better) which culminated this morning at my official WWI with the scale 5 pounds higher than it had been the morning before. Salty canned soup wins again. . . . The thing that really annoys me, of course is that I did it to myself and the surgery on Monday will, no doubt, bloat me up with even more WWW for a further couple of weeks. My poor ticker has been so stuck on the same place for so long already, that the poor old tortoise is beginning to wonder.

Anyway, that is definitely enough of my whining. Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned. See you soon . . .
Old 04-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #69  

I guess I should have read all the threads before asking this question, but are you guys having success with Volumetrics?

I started South Beach yesterday, but my husband gave me an article on this way of eating, and he wants to do it. I am so happy that he finally wants to lose weight, and he wants me to do it with him, with us both on the same plan, for ease and convenience. I agree. We've done separate eating plans in the past, and it was horrid tracking different meals.

Can you recommend any books? I like that I don't have to count calories, weigh or measure anything, according to the article. That was what attracted me to South Beach.
Thanks.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #70  
Onward and Downward

Hi BRNAGAIN . . . My answer is YES . . . (and since I'm a diabetic, all the meds and insulin make weight loss extra difficult) . . . I'm definitely pleased. This is one of the easiest plans (actually I think of it more as a principle than an actual plan) to live with . . . basically eat more foods that have a higher water and fibre content . . . you get more food to fill yourself up and it costs you fewer calories to do it. Definitely take a look at the first post on page 1 of this thread where you will find some interesting and helpful links to get you started.

Hello to everybody else wherever you are hiding -- hope you are having fun this weekend -- this is definitely not one of the busiest places at 3FC, but it is ours. . .

Hey . . . check below to see what I did on my little shopping spree yesterday . . . . . . Found a breeder of Bengal cats right here in my own little town. So, of course, I fell in love, and bought all three that were left in the current litter . . . never in all my life thought I would pay this kind of money for a cat . . . . . . oh well. Called them Frick and Frack (two females) and Muttley (male). Of course they do have great long registration names, too -- but I don't care -- and I don't think they do either. In the pictures below you can see my current problem . . . I really don't know who is who . . . If you see them all at the same time -- Frick is a bit more brown than the other two -- and then, if you have a 'rear view , you can tell Frack and Mutt apart. I'm sure differences will show up in time. At least I hope so.

Anyway, everybody . . . have a great moving and shaking weekend and I'll see you again really soon . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sleeping Beauties.jpg (24.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Mutt&Frack.jpg (22.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Jazz&Frack.jpg (20.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Frick.jpg (44.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Frick-maybe.jpg (18.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #71  

Well I bought the two books Volumetrics, and Volumetrics Eating Plan. I'll start reading the first book tomorrow.

I couldn't resist skimming through the second book (it is HUGE), and found probably the most important concept in the second book, doing the energy density formula and also a quick "cheat sheet" for reading nutritional labels. This is definitely doable. so doable we can start right now.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #72  

P.S. Your new cats are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I am basically a dog person. I had one cat in my life who was feral and took a shine to us, and we basically adopted her. She was more affectionate than any dog I've ever had, cuddling in my lap all the time and licking me with her rough little tongue. She died many years ago, but I'll never forget her. I never knew cats could be so loving.

I really feel I am going to enjoy this new way of eating. I did read all the posts and links and am very encouraged. I am a coconut fanatic, so I will definitely be making that coconut flour recipe. Your recipes look wonderful as well, particularly the macaroni and cheese. I love macaroni and cheese! Thanks for posting them.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #73  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

Just flying through to quickly say HELLO . . . probably be out of action tomorrow because of the surgery first thing in the morning; but hope to be back on track again by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

In the meantime, keep things moving and shaking, Chickies and I'll see you again really soon . . .
Old 04-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #74  

I guess I missed the post that you are having surgery. Prayers for your recovery soon.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #75  

I am bumping for any newcomers.

On the first post there is a link to the 3fatchicks review of the book Volumetrics.

This sums up the whole program and is the best description of the program I've ever read.

Even if you're not inclined to buy the book now, definitely read the review!
Closed Thread