Old 03-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #16  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Just a quick report . . . yesterday's fibre total was only 44 . . . because of the eye surgery I'm trying to up my protein intake for a few days to aid the healing. In order to maintain a reasonable calorie level, when protein goes up, carbs have to come down . . . if carbs come down so does the fibre.

Yes, I do think your body will get used to the added fibre. Remember that it is very, very important to make sure you are getting lots of water . . . the way fibre works to keep you feeling full is by absorbing water so if you don't have enough, things in your intestines may get rather dried out and sluggish. Also don't forget that carb and fibre automatically go together so it is pretty difficult to get lots of fibre on a really low carb diet.

Have a great day, gang . . . keep things moving and shaking . . . see you later.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #17  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 167/167/125

Height: 5'0

Default is this bad?

i was reading this forum yesterday, so i thought it would be interesting to see how much fiber i consumed, so yesterday i kept track. 69 grams!!!! YIKES! that has to be too much right? it's just that i ( like any other dieter) like whole grain and high fiber foods for obvious reasons. does anyone else eat that much?
HotDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

HotDoc - I'm not sure that I would classify that as bad but it is a lot. I try to eat very fibrous foods but I know I'm no where near that. Are you getting enough protein and fats in as well? I'd just want to make sure your diet is balanced and that you aren't sacrificing other things in order to get fiber in. If you are getting a good amount of protein and fat as well in your diet, then I wouldn't worry about the fiber.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #19  

Hi! I'd love to join in this little corner of the board! I am 39yr old school nurse/mom of two teenagers! We are following a sugarbusters type diet as my kids are both insulin resistant. HOWEVER, I am finding that I am constantly hungry and there fore grazing through the day! That's not going to work! I am going to try upping the fiber and protein and see if that helps! I bought some fiber one yesterday and the kids really liked it. They were just munching right from the bag! I can see using it as a salad topping or chinese noodles in a stir fry easily! I brought some today to try in my yogurt. I made a veggie couscous last night that was yummy too! I added shredded carrots, green onion, mushrooms, tomatoes and a can of cannellini beans! I brought some to have with my sandwich for lunch.

Everyone have a great weekend!
ThinWithin225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 180/180/123

Height: 5'1"

I was a big fiber fan, but have trouble finding enough in my diet ( I have Celiacs). I do eat a great deal of vegetables, and beans. I am missing the grains!
ThreeBoysAndUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #21  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls!
Wednesday's calories 1,222
Fat...21%
Fiber...59 grams

Thursday's Calories 907 (low because I had a large Albacore Tuna salad for supper)
Fat... 20 grams/20%
Fiber...49 grams
Carbs...150grams/46%
Protein... 76 grams/33%
HotDoc... I average about 62 grams of fiber daily so I don't think 69 is out of line.
Quote:
i was reading this forum yesterday, so i thought it would be interesting to see how much fiber i consumed, so yesterday i kept track. 69 grams!!!! YIKES! that has to be too much right? it's just that i ( like any other dieter) like whole grain and high fiber foods for obvious reasons. does anyone else eat that much?
ThinWithin... I always eat my Fiber One dry, it's yuky to me when added to milk. I love it sprinkled on top of FF/SF puddings and applesauce. I've made crust out of it for SF Coconut Cream pie too! But decided it was too much work so now I just sprinkle it on top. I'm glad your kids like it and the calories are so low compared to other cereals. You might want to look for "Flat Out" wraps too, they are huge, 90 calories, 9 grams fiber plus no sugar. These work great for sandwich wraps or you can toast them in the oven and top with pizza sauce, FF cheese and Turkey pepperoni. Delish!
I like to toast them with Cinnamon & Splenda/Stevia and top with applesauce.

Hi everyone else, we're on our way into town for errands and the Fitness center, catch ya all later.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-23-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #22  
Onward and Downward

Most people do not get too much fibre . . . I often hit those kind of fibre numbers and I agree with Nelie that as long as you are not sacrificing other nutrients and eating only (or almost only) carbs, you are fine . . .

. . . maybe we should post more than just our fibre intake, gang . . . just so we can see that we are staying in a healthy balance . . . I will do that today. My general targets are as follows . . . 50 grams fat; 200 grams carb (40 fibre) and 100 grams protein . . . for a daily calorie average of 1650. In the general range of 25% fat; 50% carbs; 25% protein. I've been eating more protein the past couple of days because I'm trying to help the eye heal as quickly as possible and consequently my calories have been closer to 1800.

Anyway, better get about my business. Hope everybody keeps things moving and shaking today. See you soon . . .
Old 03-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #23  
Bobbi

Meowee...............Good idea, I went back and edited my post to include protein and carbs.
Now can someone tell me the perfect balance/% of what it should look like?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Ooooh. This morning, I wanted BOTH my ww tortilla w/PB and banana AND my Fiber One cereal.....what to do? I ended up omitting the banana and stuffing the tortilla with Fiber One! Crunchy and good. Made the tortilla a little more like eating toast with PB! Maybe next time I'll do BOTH the banana and the fiber one!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #25  

Linda: thank you for the tip about water. I do drink a lot but a big portion of my water (half maybe) is crystal light. I use to drink diet MT Dew and switched . . . I love Crystal Light (pink lemonaide) and thought it counted for my water total, is that right??

Hot Doc: I think it is ok too. When I get home to the fiber35 book I know she says something like 35 grams are great and 55-65 is even better. I will double check. Is that what you normally eat?? You weren't even trying to get the extra fiber??? Amazing.

She talks about celiacs on her PBS special. She said that there are gluton free products that are really good. I bet she has something about that on the website.

Thank you for the Fiber 1 and pudding tip! I had honey cluster F1 and chocolate pudding--I wasn't sure how they would taste mixed but it was good!

Allison I would have never thought of that! Do you use the Fiber 1 twigs??

I am only tracking my calories, fat, and fiber.

B: oatmeal, milk, banana
L: hamburger, bun, poppers
D: chicken tortilla
S: pudding and fiber 1

I was over on calories and fat and under on fiber.

C: 1600
Fa: 55
Fi:25

Not a good day but I am moving on and forgetting it.

Gina
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #26  
Onward and Downward

BOBBI . . . I don't think there is only one "perfect" breakdown of fat/carb/protein . . . it depends on the plan you are following. Every plan is a little different and every body is a little different

FAT: About the only thing you see fairly consistently is that fat should not be above 30% of calories and saturated should not be above 10% of calories. But some plans, put total fat as low as 10%. PROTEIN: A lot of medical evidence (not diet plans) puts forth a good level of protein at approximately .4 grams per pound of body weight; but more is recommended for those over 50 (about .5 to .6 grams per pound, depending on age) and lots more for a professional athlete (or wannabe). CARBS: Oh my, different plans put carbs all over the map. The really low-carb plans (old Atkins, for example) went as low as 10 to 20 percent of calories. The Zone (and I think South Beach) are more along the lines of 40%. The old, high carb, low fat plans, sometimes went as high as 65% carb.

As I mentioned, mine breaks at about 25% fat; 50% carbs; 25% protein. As a diabetic, I tend to look at net carbs a lot. If I apply only net carbs; things work out closer to 30% / 40% / 30%

Don't know if this information has helped at all . . . maybe just managing to confuse everyone even more . . .

GINA . . . IMHO, I think Crystal Light is fine to count as water; although I would perhaps recommend a little less CL and a little more plain water (because of the artificial sweetner load). I love the pink lemonade, too . . . also Raspberry Iced Tea and Peach Iced Tea flavours. I don't count diet soda (we call it POP in Canada) as water because most of it has caffeine which acts like a diuretic and so has a dehydrating impact on the body and, of course, it has a very heavy load of sweetner. I'm one of the lucky ones in that plain water (preferably ice-cold) is actually my beverage of choice.

Well I'd better get going and get the cats fed and then myself . . . Think a good 6 ounces of chicken with a little mango-lime salsa, and a really big salad sounds good tonight.

Have a good moving and shaking evening, everybody . . . see you later . .
Old 03-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #27  
Onward and Downward

Happy Saturday Morning . . .

Just dropping in to record my totals for yesterday: Calories - 1440; Fat - 34 grams (21%); Carb - 182 grams (51%); Protein - 101.5 grams (28%); Fibre 40.5 grams.

Thought I'd found a great new cereal . . . WeightWatchers Fibre 'n Flakes . . . per half cup - 90 cals, 17 carb grams; 9 fibre; 9 protein; 1 fat; sweetened with splenda . . . It tastes far too sweet to me. I'll probably finish the box, but won't be buying it again. I do not like anything sweeter than the natural taste of fruit for brekkie but thought I'd mention it in case somebody else might like to try it. I got it at WalMart.

Okay, gang . . . see you all later. Keep things moving and shaking today.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #28  
Bobbi

Slow day huh?
Yesterday's Journal:
Calories... 1,078
Fiber... 67 grams
Thanks Meowee for the breakdown, It was very helpful and I made a copy of it. I noticed the W.Watchers Fiber & Flakes on the store shelves, maybe it would be good packaged in zip bags and eaten as a sweet treat away from home. I usually take something with when visiting my dad, they always have sweet cakes/bars/cookies, etc. I don't have problems resisting them since I'm not a big sweet eater but I like something to gnaw on while everyone else is pigging out. DH is roasting a whole chicken for supper tonight and it smells devine. I think I'll go set the table, see ya all!
Bobbi
Old 03-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #29  
Onward and Downward

Good Idea BOBBI . . . I'll try it that way . . . thanks. It definitely doesn't cut it as cereal but might make a great snack. I'll let you know.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #30  
Onward and Downward

BTW . . . I notice you didn't post everything again . . . are you just going back to posting just calories and fibre?

Also . . . I'm curious about your Thursday totals . . . Where did you get your numbers? My calc is in red. The 20% differential could make a lot of difference for someone who's as close to goal as you are. You are doing so great. Even if I use the Net Carbs (see blue), I still get slightly different numbers than you did; although this time close enough to make me think that net carbs is what you are using.

Thursday's Calories 907 -- total = 1084 -- 888

Fat... 20 grams/20% -- x 9 = 180 / 17% -- 20%
Fiber...49 grams -- x 4 = 196; therefore Net carbs = 404 -- 46%
Carbs...150grams/46% -- x 4 = 600 / 55%
Protein... 76 grams/33% -- x 4 = 304 / 28% -- 34%

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not trying to nit-pik you to death here . . . just want us all to get on the same page so we are comparing apples to apples. I'm happy to do either Total carbs or Net carbs -- just need to know which everybody else prefers.

Last edited by meowee; 03-24-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: to calculate Net Carbs