3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Intuitive Eating #4 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/105438-intuitive-eating-4-a.html)

carolr3639 04-16-2007 10:28 AM

2frus, You're making me hungry!! ha! RCC, I think I'll try some of that advice myself. I remember those college days. I finished and did a few graduate courses but then decided that was enough. I had 10 children instead of pursuing a career. Lots of joy and trials but I love each child the same. It's been a great "career".

fiddler 04-16-2007 10:48 AM

Hello, everyone!

Just have a quick moment to pop in....

Welcome to all the new members. Ulapie, I hope you are on the road to recovery :)

Carol, hope you're having lots of fun in Colorado.

Obie, glad your schedule is settling down and congrats on getting close to the 320 barrier. :)

2frus, you asked if we prefer to nibble or wait until really hungry and eat something more substantial. I'm afraid I fall into the no-nibbling category, for 2 reasons. I find that nibbling stimulates my appetite, and I like to have nice sit-down meals. Nibbling doesn't provide me with any emotional benefit as enjoying a nice, leisurely meal with food I really like does.

Spiny, where are you????

Interesting thing happened to me. I was shopping for clothes on Saturday and I discovered that "W" sizes no longer fit me. They are too big in the waist and armpits and make me look like I'm wearing a flour sack. I can fit a regular 16 but not a 14W or 16W. So I guess that's progress.

Gotta run. Hope everyone has a great day! :)

2frustrated 04-16-2007 11:09 AM

Yes I think the "really hungry" thing is something I'm going to have to do as well. I made a little progress today since I was hungry at 11am and so I had my lunch. Leftover roast pork! hee! Unfortunately this afternoon was a little whacky - a big flapjack, an apple and 2 choccy biccies. :p Oh and some chocolate covered nuts and craberries. :rolleyes: Well I think I might start packing some more substantial "snacks" so that I don't end up eating little bits and pieces which are usually more unhealthy.

Maybe tomorrow I will pack roast pork AND leftover bread pudding :T

shananigans 04-16-2007 12:07 PM

Hello all, long time no see :)

Iíve been doing alright with my eating, had my first weekend in I donít know long where I didnít have a single meal where I really over did it. On the weekends itís so easy for me to go out to eat and just say screw it, I donít feel like listening to my body, I just want to eat all the yummy food in front of me. On Saturday df took me out for a celebration lunch after my 5k and I managed to stop eating when I was full and take the leftovers home for dinner. I felt a little more ďsnackyĒ later in the evening, but kept my eating in check with how hungry I actually was. Sunday we went out for soft tacos at a new place, they were soooo yummy and satisfying. I even managed to keep my hand out of the chip basket when my tummy told me I didnít need more.

Hoping I can see a little progress on the scale later this week since I donít feel I took the ďtwo steps backĒ I usually do on the weekends. :crossed:

Obsidianbbw 04-16-2007 01:45 PM

I really believe weight loss is VERY Personal and what works for one won't works for one person may not work for someone else. I also think it is wrong to judge someone else.

Having said that I was reading this in the maintenance forum (which I usually avoid because I'm not worthy, LOL)

Some people find her inspirational, but reading her story makes me realize 1. You have to be able to do whatever you decide for life. 2. You need some flexibility. I honestly don't have the right to judge since I haven't lost much, but Reading her plan just seemed like it was a matter of time before her mind and body said ok, we lost weight, but life isn't just about eating to live.

http://www.franceskuffel.net/works.htm

carolva77 04-16-2007 08:22 PM

Hi everybody, I am trying the IE approach, because all the other 'rules' made me obsessive and lead me to binges!
Hi everyone, I will be visiting often

carolr3639 04-16-2007 09:41 PM

Welcome, Carol. My name is Carol, too. Good to have you here.

2frustrated 04-17-2007 04:01 AM

Obi - thank goodness I've found a Frances Kuffel non-fan too! She's practically GOD over in Maintainers, but I just think she's really not got her head on right at all. I kinda feel sorry for her that she hasn't got her head sorted, and I just feel sad that the OA thing probably won't work the 2nd time round either. JMHO. I read the article and thought, "Yeah. So?" Lots of people over there were really empathising with her and crying over the post... I just can't identify with her at all.

Welcome newbie carol!

Sooooo I had a non-hungry day yesterday. Which is a shame since I'd made a special dinner, but I just wasn't hungry. However I DID eat it because I'd spent loads of time making it and DH had helped and I really did need some food, but it was probably a little bit of head stress making me not want to eat. I only ate a small piece of dinner, so I'm not too worried at all. However DH really liked what we made and had 2 big servings! Then he's lying in bed groaning about how much he ate :devil: And I'm lying there feeling all smug, and I said, "Don't worry, we all overeat sometimes..." In my best I'm-not-patronising-you voice :devil: :lol3: :D

Anyway, so I've got leftovers for lunch! YAY! :T :D

carolva77 04-17-2007 08:17 AM

Hello Carol. I am trying to stop dieting and change my whole mentality when it comes to food. Eat more balanced but also balance my life....

ulapie 04-17-2007 01:07 PM

Hi everyone!
The calorie counting is going well. I'm giving myself a much bigger range, so it seems a little less insane than when I was doing it before. :) I'm continuing to listen to my hunger to decide when to eat and when to stop. I went kind of crazy at Mc D's yesterday though... I don't know if it's because I'm dieting now or if it was an emotional episode. I think I'm going to read the Karen Koenig book that Rock Chalk recommended. She also has a workbook with exercises about emotional eating that I want to pick up.

I remember reading in Inuitive Eating that there are a few times when you should eat even though you aren't hungry. One of those times is breakfast (other times were while sick or if you won't have time later to eat). I was wondering, do you all eat breakfast even if you aren't hungry? How much do you eat?

I hope you're all well!

Theresa

ulapie 04-17-2007 01:09 PM

Oh! I'm down two pounds as of this morning. :D It might have something to do with drinking 3 liters of water yesterday. I'm far from dehydrated.

carolva77 04-17-2007 01:15 PM

I am not expert but I guess, you should eat when hungry

carolr3639 04-17-2007 06:25 PM

Congratulations, Theresa, on the weight loss. I've been really hungry today but usually when that happens I am not hungry at night. So it all evens out. I sometimes think I wait to long to eat in the morning only because I have some breathing exercises that I do on an empty stomach. I have a chronic lung disease and they just seem to make me feel better. Carol, I think you should eat when hungry, too. 2frus, I had never heard of that lady you were writing about and I have read a lot of diet books.

carolr3639 04-17-2007 07:00 PM

Today I was reading a thread about "your most unusual weight loss tip" and found this one interesting.

Two things for me:

1) If I think I'm hungry, I ask myself what exactly am I hungry for?
-activity, something to chew on, veggies, solid protein, just a little fat, water, something liquid but not water, something sweet, real chocolate? These are all valid answers, with healthy solutions. Typical solutions (in order):
-playing piano, chewing gum, huge salad, leftover roast, 3 almonds, water, chai raspberry-leaf tea, apple, (70% cocoa solids) chocolate square.

I allow myself the one item. If I'm not satisfied afterward, then I need to do better analysis next time, and not eat something else (-unless it's meal/ snack time). This way, I try to learn my real needs.

2) I know that pretty much all animals testable seem to live 50% longer than normal, and don't seem to get the typical diseases of aging, if they eat about 30% less than they would normally feed themselves. Lately a large-sample, well-rated study came out which confirms this for humans, too!

So now I'm trying to move toward "what will be just enough?" to replace "what makes me feel comfortably well fed?" My grandparents used to say, "Push away from the table, BEFORE you feel done!" They lived long, very healthy lives.... Now, I understand!

carolva77 04-17-2007 07:12 PM

Today I felt really good when I ate and I also saw some 'forbidden' food in the kitchen and it did not appeal to me at all, I guess because I know I can have it if I want to

Obsidianbbw 04-18-2007 12:42 AM

I eat when I'm hungry and I don't always eat "typical" breakfast foods. I am rarely hungry first thing in the morning so I usually don't eat until almost noon. I wait till I feel hungry then I eat. I'm not ravenous or anything. With IE I have kinda of gotten out of the time to eat mentality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulapie (Post 1656529)
Hi everyone!

I remember reading in Inuitive Eating that there are a few times when you should eat even though you aren't hungry. One of those times is breakfast (other times were while sick or if you won't have time later to eat). I was wondering, do you all eat breakfast even if you aren't hungry? How much do you eat?

I hope you're all well!

Theresa

shananigans 04-18-2007 01:10 PM

Iíve read that the ideal in Japanese culture is to eat until youíre about 80% satiated, but never to 100%. Maybe thatís why they have some of the longest life expectancy rates in the world.

I have been feeling a little more hungry these days, so I added a BP & all-fruit spread whole wheat English muffin to my goodie bag for the day at work. I had half this morning with my usual Ĺ banana snack (I eat the other half with my cereal in the am) and Iíll have the other half with my apple this afternoon. Hopefully this will keep me from feeling like Iím starving by the time I get home.

Re: eating breakfast when youíre not hungry. I think some peopleís bodies donít really ďwake upĒ and activate the hunger signal until something has already been eaten. I would think it might be better for you to still eat a little something, even if itís just a slice of toast and a piece of fruit. Iím usually not hungry till Iíve been up for a couple hours, so I just wait till Iím at work to eat breakfast, but it might not be a good idea to skip breakfast altogether, regardless of hunger.

Rock Chalk Chick 04-18-2007 03:36 PM

Owwww... why did I eat like that?

I got bogged down in work this morning, frantically working from about 8 'til 12:30 trying to catch up with the clock (doing timed work - would just finish the task that starts at 10 am when I needed to have already started the task to begin at 11, etc). I got hungry, then shaky. I already know my hypoglycemic trends, and I was getting to the danger point. I finally broke away during a 5 minute incubation to cram a granola bar down my throat. Not exactly "mindful" but I knew I needed it and didn't have any time. Followed with an oatmeal square about 10 minutes later, when I'd come back up to "very hungry" from "ready to pass out." Doing fine up to this point, other than allowing myself to get too far down.

So, it's 12:40 and have time reserved on a machine at 1, and I'm still hungry. I popped over to the cafe and couldn't find anything that looked terribly good, so I opted for one of their overpriced grilled sandwiches. It comes with chips, so I nibbled on the chips and drank a half-pint of chocolate milk (one of my best hypo fixes) while waiting for it to come up. I didn't really check in well with my hunger because I was so impatient to get back to the lab - in retrospect, the chips satisfied my hunger and I was done eating before even starting the sandwich. But, unfortunately, I was more thinking "I just bought this, I shouldn't waste it" than anything else - I ate the sandwich quickly even though it was dry and tasteless and is now making me incredibly queasy!

I'm not really beating myself up over this, but I'm actually starting to realize that I can retrain myself over time - it wasn't the wisest choice to eat the sandwich, but instead of blaming the "bad" sandwich for making me feel stuffed, I'm realizing I could have stopped eating after a bite or just thrown the thing away! It's wasted whether it's in the trash or on my butt - I'm slowly starting to think this BEFORE I overeat.

Just thought I'd share my frustration for the day. After the frantic morning I now have nothing to do for the next 90 minutes, and I'm considering popping out for a walk or some other way to get myself a little less bloated.

Rock Chalk Chick 04-18-2007 03:45 PM

Add-on...

After reading through my last post, I realized I really wanted to ask what others do when you can't/don't have time to eat? I know the standard IE response is that you have to make time, that it's important to make the time to sit down and mindfully, slowly eat and check in regularly to not overeat.

But, that's just plain not possible some days - the nature of my work doesn't really allow it all the time. And I'm sure there are others who are in the same boat - do you have any methods to cope? I keep a stash of bars and such (the granola and oatmeal bars I ate earlier are essential when I get hypo), but we can't keep food or drink in the lab itself and it's not always possible to dart down to my office in the next building when I'm in the middle of a sensitive process.

I suppose it's a question of whether to have a "preventative" snack when I know I'm going to be swamped, even if I'm not hungry? Or set a time limit when I finally do get to eat, so that I can wolf something down, wait a set time, and then decide whether I'm still hungry? Or something else? (These are the two options I've considered - I'm sure there are others!)

None of the options I can think of quite fall under "proper" IE methods, but that's mainly because in a situation like this I'm already breaking the "eat when hungry" aspect. Anybody have any suggestions?

Obsidianbbw 04-19-2007 09:33 AM

I'm with Ulapie. Preventive Eating isn't technically IE, but who cares. Make it work for you. During the week I have to eat lunch at a certain time and there a few days when I hit the ground running and don't have time to eat. I try and eat something that will hold me till the busy period is over. I also think it is hard to work when your hungry. I stop focusing on whatever the task is and start thinking when am I going to eat.

So I say eat something that will get you past the busy time, and keep your snacks handy. I think the fact that you recognized why you were eating the sandwich is pretty good and you can look at the whole situation and see where the problems are is pretty cool.;)

2frustrated 04-20-2007 03:55 AM

Urgh! I had a terrible 2 or 3 days of IE starting from Tuesday afternoon. I've been really messed up with it. :dizzy:

On Tuesday I was depressed/over-tired, then Wednesday some stupid idiot lady shouted at me when I was already feeling depressed and made me cry for the next 2 hours :tantrum: and by that time my eating had gone to **** in a handbasket. Yesterday was slightly better since I took the day off work and had a filling breakfast, was hungry for lunch, then had a couple of small biscuits to keep me going for kickboxing, however when I got home I was kinda hungry, so I decided on PB on toast with an apple and that just escalated into lots of eating, and I was quite hungry, but quite a lot of what I ate was done in that standing-up-cramming-it-in way.

Today is going to be better, I feel well-rested. I have great food with me that I want to eat, I am going to go training tonight and all should be well.

Obsidianbbw 04-20-2007 08:50 AM

Sorry you had a bad time of it and 2frus:hug: and here is something for the mean old lady for making you cry. :rollpin: Hope you feel better

Well realized why i am so obsessed with making my exercise goal. I was up late talking a friend and I didn't want to get up and work out. I got on the scale as motivation I was down, but no down as much as I would have been if I had exercised when I was supposed to. It just wasn't possible with an schedule change and still working the second job.

I bought a strictly weight training DVD, Jari Love. We'll see how it goes.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

ulapie 04-20-2007 02:14 PM

Obie, I totally love Jari Love! I do her "Slim and Lean" video almost exclusively. It's so much better than just doing weights on my own, as she really makes you do a TON of reps. I did it for a few months before screwing up my leg and oh my gosh it really made the inches fly off. I'm still doing the upper body segments of the video and it really shows on my arms. Tell me what you think! And don't be scared to increase the weight if it seems too easy. :)

2frus - I hope you're feeling better!

I'm doing pretty well with the IE these days. I'm also reading "The Beck Diet Solution" and really enjoying it. It has all these cognitive behavioral techniques to keep you motivated and change negative thought patterns. I'm a sucker for a good therapeutic self help book. LOL! :D

Obsidianbbw 04-20-2007 03:57 PM

I got Get ripped since it is the first one and I read reviews and Slim and Lean is pretty serious. I give it a try tomorrow morning, will let you know what I think.

Rock Chalk Chick 04-20-2007 05:43 PM

Ulapie - I've been inching my way through the Beck book, too, and I'm really enjoying it! It's not "IE" exactly, but as long as I skip some of the "ignore your hungry" suggestions, it's a really great addition to my usual cycle. I find that if I'm reading SOMETHING, I'm more likely to implement my IE/mindful stuff than if I'm just trying to rely on my memory (I tend to dig out the Koenig book about once a month and flip through it!)

I might have to try those Jari Love workouts - I'm always up for a new workout DVD! I personally ADORE Cathe Friedrich - if you want a serious weight workout, she's amazing! I tend to rotate a lot - I have a whole shelf of workout stuff - about 15 of the Friedrich ones, some Gilad, and some assorted kickboxing/bootcamp/bellydancing/etc. I find I don't like the perky stuff, but I have a few of the "Firm" ones, too, for days I'm ready for something a little more fluffy (still a good workout, but a little more cheerleader-ish).

Lately I've been struggling to find an hour for a lifting DVD, though - I just have too much on my plate to schedule more than 2 hours for workouts each day, and it takes that to get my tri training in (swim or run mornings, bike or lift evenings). I'm going to be lost when I move in July - I highly doubt I'll have much room for my current basement "gym" in an apartment on my own... I have a small bench with an array of free weights, an elliptical trainer, and a heavy bag on a big freestanding frame. Along with a bunch of little stuff - a swiss ball, balance boards, jump rope, bungees, etc.

I'm stressing at the moment after a long meeting with my mentor - I'm in full "writing" mode for my thesis, along with a few final experiments that need wrapped up. It's taking a lot out of me, especially considering that I've always used food to break up the monotony of a day at the computer. I'm managing to avoid the munching by doing the work at the library instead of my home office, though that sometimes make it challenging to eat when I DO need it! I've been spending my lunch hour at the animal shelter walking dogs, instead of at home staring at the TV and eating, which is really helping me break up my routine and get a little fresh air, too!

Even though the scale doesn't "matter" to me nearly as much, I'm happy to say that I'm back down to where I was a few weeks ago (a visit from my fiance tends to throw me off for about a week!) It may sound strange, but I'm actually really enjoying tracking my daily weight fluctuations and seeing where I end up. I don't obsess over the fact that I'm not losing quickly, because I know I'm learning better habits that will help me stay healthy long-term. Frankly, I don't really care if I stay the exact same weight forever, as long as I can be active and do everything I want to do (honestly, I know that I CAN'T do everything I want to do at my current weight, but I'm starting a rockclimbing class anyhow - I think it's going to be darn hard, but I figure if I wait 'til I'm "thin" I'm going to miss out on the fact that climbing will HELP me get "thin"!) If I want a climber's body, I need to climb - not try to get a climber's body in ORDER to climb!

ulapie 04-21-2007 03:02 AM

Rock Chalk - could you recommend a Cathe Friedrich dvd that is a full body routine? I remember looking around Amazon for one and it seemed like all of her videos focus on a certain area. I prefer to do weight training 2-3 times a week and do the whole body.

I personally think Jari Love is pretty hardcore, so you might want to give her a try. Her videos are as tough as you want them to be depending on how high you go with the weight. The Slim and Lean is really good, although it could use additional ab work and maybe some calve raises IMO.

I have a few Firm videos that I used to love. I don't have a high step anymore, so I haven't thought of doing them for a while. I only have the ones from Tracy Long who is my favorite instructor of all time. She's all business and no annoying chirpy stuff. :)

Obsidianbbw 04-21-2007 07:52 AM

Ok advice. I have the Jari love and she requires a step for some stuff. Can I do it on my mat since i have no desire to buy a step? Or can I do them with my feet hanging of the side of my bed or something.

Rock Chalk Chick 04-21-2007 01:39 PM

Obi - a lot of "step" stuff can be done on the floor, especially at first, but there are some definite benefits to having a step before long. You can often improvise some of it - I used a heavy-duty step stool for step-up lifts (the only really good way to hit hip flexors and that butt-meets-thigh point) and similar stuff for a while. I'll admit, it's been worth it to me to have a step (I have both a standard two-riser step and a high step, both of which are used in a lot of the Cathe Friedrich workouts), but if you don't have the space, you can do some of the stuff on the floor and others with improvised stuff - a $5 rubbermaid step-stool worked for me through college (though you do have to be careful about placing your feet well).

As for the Cathe stuff - my standby for a full-body workout is the Muscle Max dvd - it's pretty darn thorough (and a heck of a workout!). She uses a step and various free weights for most of her videos, and I'm pretty sure this is the same (both barbell and dumbbells, though you can usually improvise if needed). Also good is the Supersets and Push-Pull (both on one DVD) - both thorough full-body workouts, though a little more specialized than the first one (good for rotating in, probably shouldn't be the only lifting DVD to do).

Geministar 04-22-2007 10:06 AM

Hello everyone!!

Hiya all! I'm new here and I just wanted to say how happy I am to have found this forum :carrot:
I've dieted since I was 12 and right now I'm sick of it, I am always either on a diet when I eat very healthily or off a diet when I eat junk. I don't have a balance and I need to get out of the on/off diet cycle! I need to learn how to eat NATURALLY and just take it easy with food. So I'm hoping to learn a thing or two from you ladies and hopefully I'll lose this weight once and for all in the healthiest way possible.

Obsidianbbw 04-22-2007 05:33 PM

Hi :wave: everyone :welcome2: Gemstar , hope you stay awhile.

Well this weekend was probably my worst eating weekend since I started IE. A girlfriend of mine came out to visit and I threw IE out the window. Won't go into everything i ate, but i felt HORRIBLE. I can't even say I enjoyed it. I hated feeling full, and the food was crap so I am suffering for it now.....blah:barf:. I don't feel like I feel off the wagon. I feel like this was a good reminder on why I do IE in the first place. :kickbutt:

On an up note. I realized I have become more critical of my body image since I've been losing and this weekend was a nice reminder that my self image isn't tied to my weight.

Hope everyone else had a better weekend

Geministar 04-23-2007 04:35 AM

Thanks so much for the welcome!! Can you please tell me the basic principles of IE? I know it eat when you're hungry stop when you're full but how do you deal with being peckish or breaking bad habits of eating just because its there? Thanx

2frustrated 04-23-2007 06:19 AM

If you're in the UK you might want to check out the book "Beyond Chocolate". I really enjoyed it. Their principles are in my signature.

I haven't figured out about being "peckish" but some folks use a hunger scale and only eat when they feel a certain level of hunger. Sometimes if I'm just peckish I'll have a cuppa or an apple or something and wait a little longer, or until I'm a little hungrier to have a full meal.

Re: Eating just because it's there. If it's there and you're hungry, then fine, eat it. If it's there and you're not hungry then you save it for when you are ;)

Well I had a great day on Saturday and I probably overate just a little bit too much on Sunday, but I'm back feeling myself again. I have lost that "sigh" place when you are satisfied. Before my couple of bingey days I was getting really good at noticing when I should stop eating, but now it seems to have dissapeared... :( I'm sure I'll find it again. I'm going to work on concentrating on my food more.

On Saturday we went hiking on the Pennine way and I did a little bit of running and it was all fabby. Yesterday we watched the marathon and then went home and lazed in bed! Hee! Oh and I made a fantastic apple crumble, unfortunately it was very very hot and all the ice cream melted on top of it and I had to wait ages for it to cool down :tantrum: and I really wanted to eat it RIGHT THEN! :lol:

Today my marathon training starts in earnest. I have new shoes, new socks, clean gym gear and no excuses :D

Geministar 04-23-2007 07:34 AM

Wow! Thank you so much for the tips. I've just been out for brunch with my boyfriend and I ate a ham and cheese sandwich with a cup of tea and I focused on what I was eating and really enjoyed every mouthful and when it was finished I felt satisfied and didn't want any more. I finished off with another cup of tea and I felt wonderful!! Usually when I eat "bad" food like ham and cheese sarnie I decide that I've messed up my diet and am already thinking of what else to eat without actually enjoying what I'm eating.
This has been such a revelation!! Its great! Now I don't have to feel apprehensive around food! Will it fit in with my diet, do I screw the diet and risk looking like a pig etc etc..... No more!!

Obsidianbbw 04-23-2007 08:19 AM

As for the pekish I either wait and see if I am really hungry and if I am I eat and if I'm not I try and figure out why I am wanting whatever it is.

Well after being in bed most of Sunday and generally not feeling well. Got up and did my first full workout this morning. I finally added in weights (Jari Love). So 45 min cardio and full body weight workout. I've been working up to it for a while.

I love Jari Love. I like there are "regular" looking people and I felt it. I did 2 8lb weights for most of it and 3lbs when she said to use lighter ones. Only thing I need to use another DVD for the ab workout.

I am guessing since I am so heavy the scale will not go up since i a building muscle. Curious to see what happens at the next weigh in. :wl: :lifter:

Geministar 04-23-2007 08:46 AM

Cool! A workout is so exhilarating :carrot: Thanks for the advice. Is there any chance you (or anyone else) could post a typical day's meals please? I'd really appreciate that.
Thanx

:D

Rock Chalk Chick 04-23-2007 08:53 AM

Welcome, Gemini! If you're anything like me, you'll find the first few days/weeks of eating according to your hunger to be incredibly eye-opening! It's amazing how much easier life becomes if you just listen to your body and let it do its thing, instead of fighting it and either restricting or indulging - I'm learning to dislike being too full even more than I dislike being too hungry... it's strange given how much of my life I've spent finishing whatever's in front of me and ending up sick. As for getting started, there are several good resources on the subject - best overview seems to be "The Overfed Head" (if you can get that in the UK), but I also really enjoy "The Rules of Normal Eating" and "The Diet Survivor's Handbook" - both do a little deeper work into methods and application of the methods. The UK standard seems to be "Beyond Chocolate" (which I'm curious to get my hands on!), so give that one a look if you like. I find I actually use a hodgepodge of methods and theories from many books, and everyone kind of ends up with their own methods over time. (Another great shift from classic "diet" methods, when you must follow X book to the letter!)

I have kind of a strange question for the group - do you ever get worried if you're losing weight too quickly?? I'm committed to losing weight slowly, safely, and (most importantly) in a healthy way, and the standard dieter's chant is that more than 2 pounds/week is going to lead to a larger percentage of muscle loss. Right now, I'm down about 7 pounds from where I was last week, though I've bounced around quite a bit - I've really only dropped about 3 pounds of "real" weight from a few weeks ago.

Even so, it feels wierd to keep recording numbers like these:
4/17/07 206.7
4/18/07 205.1
4/19/07 205.1
4/20/07 203.1
4/21/07 202.4
4/22/07 201.3
4/23/07 200.3

At this point, I'm not too concerned about it, but if things keep dropping this quickly, should I worry? (I doubt it's likely, since I've only been over 200 for about 3 months - it's been the "easy" weight to lose). Overall, my weight has bounced around a bit over the last month:
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...ipart13682.jpg
But the good part is that it's a general downward trend.

So, how would you handle this? Should I let myself eat a little more generously to slow down the loss a bit (aim for "fully satisfied" instead of "no longer hungry"?) Should I just wait and see? I'm just worried about losing too quickly and rebounding in another few pounds - basically, I've seen myself drop weight this quickly in the past and it always ends badly. Maybe I just need to relax and trust myself, but I'm a little hesitant for fear I'll fall back into obsessive weight-loss-mode.

Geministar 04-23-2007 09:09 AM

Thanks Rock chick!! I'll definately look for "Beyone chocolate" on Amazon! I think with your weight loss you have nothing to worry about. The first 10% of weight lost is always the fastest and you'll see that your body will soon settle into a steady loss. I always lose about 5-7lbs of weight in my first week of any kind of diet or healthy eating plan and by the third or fourth week it slows down to 1.5 or 2lbs a week, sometimes 1lb! I wouldn't stress if I were you as long as you're not hungry. By eating more than you want or need you'll be ignoring what your body's telling ya! :o)

Geministar 04-23-2007 09:27 AM

I just placed an order for Beyond Chocolate on Amazon! I'm so excied, it got 5 star reviews!!

2frustrated 04-23-2007 09:35 AM

RCC I think you're A-ok with your loss. It could be all sorts of things. :) I wouldn't know since I don't weigh any more.

Gemini - I couldn't post a typical day of meals because my days are not typical any more. I no longer pack 6 meals a day to come to work with, I don't have breakfast as soon as I get up, I don't eat cereal for breakfast, I don't always have meat and 2 veg for dinner.

Yesterday I had an apple after I'd been awake 3 hours, then 3 hours later half a sausage and egg sandwich. I had a couple of dates as a small snack, a bite of camembert, a bite of plantain and a bread wrap with toffee sauce. Then I had apple crumble and ice cream.

Today my breakfast was greek yoghurt with strawberries and musli, then I had a pear with a cup of tea, then a chocolate digestive biscuit and some strawberries. After the gym I've had a roast beef bagel with hummous and cucumber. Later on I might have a chocolate muffin or a danish pastry if I'm hungry, or I might not. When I get home I'll probably have egg on toast because it's easy, or I might just have a cup of tea and an apple.

I think if you really listen to what your body wants then there is no "typical meal plan". :)

Obsidianbbw 04-23-2007 09:44 AM

WOW, lots of posts this morning. Rushing off to work so quickie post.

There is no typical plan on IE. It is all about what YOUR body wants. YOU decide what is right for you to eat. I think we have all found over time you tend toward healthier choice. Foods your used to be tempted by tend to be not as interesting. It takes a while.

With the weight loss, I agree with everyone else. I think as long as your being consistent and not doing anything drastic and honest with yourself it is ok. Some weekend I average 3-4 lbs a week and some others less. Eventually it will slow down to 1-2 lbs, so enjoy the 3-4 now :D

here is the link to the first chapter in the overfed head. It is a small book on IE, doesn't talk about exercise or nutrition, but was very helpful to me to really understand what i was trying to do with IE.

http://www.theoverfedhead.com/

Hope everyone had a good day.