3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Intuitive Eating #4 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/105438-intuitive-eating-4-a.html)

nelie 03-12-2007 01:01 PM

I forgot to mention that I think that my spirit wants Chocolate Cake, I think it really does :)

CinnamonGirl 03-12-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 1607470)
I forgot to mention that I think that my spirit wants Chocolate Cake, I think it really does :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Beth

carolr3639 03-12-2007 02:04 PM

Obi, Thanks for the links. 2frus, Sorry you had a bad day. Our power went out for 4 hr. this morning just because they were working on something. It was supposed to be off for 3 hour so finally I called them and got it right back. ha!

Spinymouse 03-12-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Spiritual Chocolate Cake Recipe:

Sit or kneel in a position of reverence.
Light Candle and incense.
Meditate upon Chocolate Cake in such a manner as to cause the Chocolate Cake brain cell receptors to vibrate in a chocolate-like frequency.
Chant: Cocoa, Cocoa, Cocoa. Breathe deeply. Chant some more.
There - you've now had your spiritual chocolate cake.:yoga:

fiddler 03-12-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

I thought my spirit wanted chocolate cake the other day. Chocolate cheesecake, to be exact.

So I went to the supermarket and they had "Aztec cheesecake" on sale. It was a cheesecake covered in chocolate ganache and chocolate chunks with cinnamon sprinkled over it. So I picked up two of them (I have a chest freezer) ;)

They also happened to be having a great sale on umm...feminine hygiene products, so I picked up about six boxes of those, on the theory that it's like toilet paper--you're not going to stop using it anytime soon, so might as well stock up.

I was in a hurry, so I didn't pick up any other items. It wasn't until I got to the checkout and plopped my multiple boxes of chocolately cheesecake and "cigars" ;) on the conveyor belt and the female cashier gave me that oh-so-sympathetic look that I realized I looked like a walking advertisement for PMS. :D

Anyway, I had one slice of the cheesecake later that night, decided it wasn't that good, and chucked the rest. Guess my spirit didn't want it after all.

2frustrated 03-13-2007 05:20 AM

:lol3: Fiddler :lol3: :rofl: MAN! You crack me up!

Nelie - if you want chocolate cake, have chocolate cake! Like fiddler I sometimes find that it's not as good as I expect it to be! I had a Mars bar yesterday for the first time in ages and ages and ages and it didn't taste as good as I remembered - however it did fill me up for about 5 hours, so it was worth it! :D

I think I did ok yesterday - I was battling the blues but I think overall my calories were pretty low, so I'm fairly happy. I wasn't 100% switched onto IE yesterday but near enough :)

Today I'm doing alright, I waited until I got to work to have breakfast and I'm going to get myself some nice tea in a mo.

Those threads that Obi posted yesterday were interesting. I think that "not being scared of hunger" is something I have to get over. However I think as one poster said that going to bed ravenous is a bit silly. I can never sleep if I'm starving hungry. I wish I could control my snappiness when I'm hungry. I think I've been moodier with DH these past few weeks when I've been waiting to be hungry..... Perhaps I just need to re-introduce some more protein so that I'm not a 3 headed she devil :p :lol:

carolr3639 03-13-2007 10:19 AM

2frus, Did you find the cherry oatmeal cookie recipe? We have loads of company here so lots of cooking to do. Last night was great. My son was here to help me. He's a great cook. Right now he's having back problems and was considering surgery. But lately he's been getting better and his wife is really hoping he will not need surgery.

carolr3639 03-13-2007 10:22 AM

Fiddler, For 20 yr I was pregnant or breastfeeding so I hardly need those products you spoke of. Then menopause hit and my dh said I was keeping the fem hygiene companies in business. Thankfully, I can't remember the last time I needed them.......probably about 5 yr. ago.

2frustrated 03-13-2007 11:45 AM

:o Sorry carolr - I had a bonkers weekend and have only just remembered that I owed someone an e-mail on Monday :o

Basically, get an oatmeal and raisin cookie mix and use glace cherries instead of the raisins, and substitute the mixed spices for just cinnamon, although you could just use the mixed spices if you want! I'll see if I can remember to fish it out tonight for you :)

Spinymouse 03-13-2007 12:41 PM

Hi Pals -
Fiddler and I had a conversation about why things that aren't even "food" are the default things to eat. I have been more and more aware of how that is true. Today I went into a little corner market and couldn't help but notice there were several different fruit flavors of Pop-Tarts but zero apples or real fruit of any kind. Isn't that kind of weird?
We also had joked about making a diet non-food that dieters could eat bowls of. Something like a mixture of Z-trim and Benefiber and Cool Whip Light. Help!! I think I was sent to the wrong planet by mistake!!!!

CinnamonGirl 03-13-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinymouse (Post 1609058)
...Something like a mixture of Z-trim and Benefiber and Cool Whip Light. Help!! I think I was sent to the wrong planet by mistake!!!!

EEEEEEEEEwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhh!:barf:

Beth

carolr3639 03-13-2007 04:55 PM

I agree with Beth! And I never could see how anyone could eat pop tarts. Guess everyone likes something different.

Spinymouse 03-13-2007 11:56 PM

Oh, just to clarify, that it really was a joke about the dieter's food, I'd like to add to the theoretical mix.... undigestible puffed pillows of cellulose.:D :p :dizzy:

2frustrated 03-14-2007 05:15 AM

:yes: I know what you mean about some shops. I've been out at night looking for vegetables to be sorely dissapointed. Most shops just keep packaged cwap that doesn't go off easily. I think it's too expensive to buy in a load of fresh fruit and veg if there aren't many people that are going to buy it.

As for Pop Tarts, well I used to eat lots of those when I was a child, but now I couldn't even think about eating something that was 1) so processed and 2) so nutritionally void of everything! I know I'd crash in about 5 minutes of eating it, if not sooner! :lol:

Yesterday and the day before have been fairly low calorie for me, but I still felt like I was eating too much :dizzy: Since I was snacking on apples and cereal bars when I wasn't REALLY hungry. :p Today I'm listening more closely. :yes:

Obsidianbbw 03-14-2007 08:37 AM

Purely for accountablilty

Gained 3 lbs. :o Official weigh in is tomorrow, but I got on early knowing it wasn't going to be good. I think it has been a couple of things, too much eating out and not eating when I was hungry. So back on the wagon.

I think as long as I've learned something from it, can't say I overly upset...Just know what I need to do.

You may now tune into your regularly scheduled posting.

BTW, I've been reading, but work has been kinda hectic.

2frustrated 03-14-2007 12:14 PM

:hug: Obi, it'll come right off again once your head's back in the game! I'm got an extra 2 I'm going to send them packing with your 3! :)

Obsidianbbw 03-14-2007 12:44 PM

Right back attcha. :D Getting to know my hunger again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2frustrated (Post 1610618)
:hug: Obi, it'll come right off again once your head's back in the game! I'm got an extra 2 I'm going to send them packing with your 3! :)

CinnamonGirl 03-14-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinymouse (Post 1610049)
Oh, just to clarify, that it really was a joke about the dieter's food, I'd like to add to the theoretical mix.... undigestible puffed pillows of cellulose.:D :p :dizzy:

Oh, I got that, Spiny. Just too gross and funny. BTW you'd probably make a fortune if you packaged it right! :dizzy:

Beth

2frustrated 03-15-2007 05:05 AM

Yeah - I'd eat it! :lol: No calorie food :drool: :lol3:

I'm doing ok, the weekend weight has come off again, now I'm hoping to get below the vicious 174 that has been plaguing my scales for months :p So I am completely tuned in today. I must drink lots, get to the gym and not snack too much, that should be pretty easy actually since I just remembered I left my 2 apples at home :rolleyes: :tantrum: :p

I've got double kickboxing tonight, so hopefully that should get me back in the swing. DH and I were going to go out and join a running club but he didn't get home in time. Never mind! I was wussing out of it anyway! It's far too scary :eek: :lol: We'll go next week.

Obsidianbbw 03-15-2007 08:46 AM

Final weigh in was 335, so feeling better. Went to lunch with a girlfriend of mine (Indian again) and did much better was actually hungry, and managed to eat what I wanted and not be tempted on anything else. Also instead of the gooey aloo popri (crunchy bits, with chick peas yogurt sauce and some other stuff) I got before I stuck to fish tikka (marinated grilled salmon basically) for an appetizer. Lamb biryani for main course .

Anyway my girlfriend know i have been trying to lose weight. She feels like she won't find a man until she loses some. I don't agree, but she didn't want to hear it.

Anyway, funny thing is she said she only eats when she's hungry (woo hoo) and stops when she's completely full (booo, hiss). She eats vegetables maybe twice a week and she love bread and rice and pasta. She refused to give up breads (she knocks out a whole loaf in about 2 days) and she thinks fruits and vegetables is something that should happen to other people. So we negotiated and she is going to only eat till she's satisfied and maybe 2 pieces of fruit and veggies a day and try and reduce the bread and pasta and rice.

We'll see how it goes. I don't think she's really ready. The funny part is I was EXACTLY like her six months ago. I was thinking that with IE i can have anything I want, but at the same time there is no food that I feel I cannot give up if I had to. Food is nice, it isn't the end all and be all it once was.

fiddler 03-15-2007 10:41 AM

Good for you, Obie! I'm glad your weigh-in was good, and it's great that you're trying to help out your girlfriend. Hopefully she'll take your good advice.

Hello to everyone!

carolr3639 03-15-2007 01:03 PM

I tried an experiment the last 2 days. I got up and walked 5 mi. one day and 6 mi. today before I ate. I wasn't hungry for one or 2 hr. later. I only did this because before I eat is when I have more energy. I have a really cool place to walk out here in the country. Anyway, Why does this curb the appetite? Good to see the lb still coming off, Obi.

Spinymouse 03-15-2007 01:18 PM

Ok, Obi and Carol are walking; 2frus is hitting the gym, Fid is doing Curves....I think I am the only one who is totally inactive. How do I get motivated? I hate to exercise. I've always been that way. Even as a kid; well, as a kid I wasn't even allowed to exercise because I'm sort of a borderline between normal and handicapped in that regard - if I tried to run I'd just fall down! I have no speed or coordination or grace whatsoever. I have in the past forced myself to work out, and I hated it. The only two things I ever liked are not available (swimming in a WARM pool, or a certain aerobics class that nobody offers any more which did not require any kind of dance-like coodination.)

carolr3639 03-15-2007 03:51 PM

Jo, Try walking just a little bit farther each day. I've heard people say that if you just get your foot out the door you'd be surprised how easy walking is. Tell yourself you can always turn around and go home if you want. I'm not even close to a gym so it's about the only thing easy for me. Just listening to the birds and thinking about whatever is relaxing. My trouble is that I'm not supposed to be in the sun so now is a good time because it's cool enough that the only place that needs sunblock is my face.

fiddler 03-15-2007 09:43 PM

Jo,

I, too, was an exercise hater. Not that I completely disliked physical activity--I could work in my yard for hours on end. But I always hated exercise for its own sake. That's why Curves works so well for me. I thought that even as much as I hated exercise I could manage to do it for 30 minutes 3 times a week, as long as it was structured and I didn't have to think about it. Once I started, I actually began to enjoy it, much to my surprise. Especially once I started seeing results. So really it only required excessive amounts of motivation the first couple of times.

CinnamonGirl 03-15-2007 11:21 PM

Jo,

I don't like exercise either - at least not until I'm actually doing it then I really like it. But I think my natural state of being would be total stasis. I'm naturally a slug. However once I decide to exercise I really enjoy it and it gets more fun and easier to do the next day and the next. But if I let my routine get out of wack and let a few days slide by then a week goes by and it's so easy to fall back into slugdome.

So now I have a plan and try to stick to it like my other routines. I brush my teeth, take a shower, eat, work, etc everyday so I try to look at exercise the same way. I just do it everyday. I'm not always very good at it though. Last week I didn't do a thing the whole week but work. This week I've done something aerobic everyday and lifted weights evey other day. I'm back in my groove and enjoying it.

Beth

2frustrated 03-16-2007 05:03 AM

Yup Jo, just find something you enjoy, even something completely stupid like trampolining or skipping or walking or dancing to a CD when no-one can see you, or jumping around the house, or climbing stairs.

Well my scales are being nice today - I've really concentrated on eating ONLY when I'm hungry, not when I think I should eat so that I'm not hungry later on, or eating because it's about time.... I've also cut back on silly carbs and tried to up the protein a bit, which means that I'm actually eating less but feeling more full :cheer2: I still have to get round to the stopping when I'm satisfied bit, but I don't tend to serve myself very big portions anyway, so I figure that the amount I serve myself is probably just about right since I don't seem to be stuffed after eating.

:)

carolr3639 03-16-2007 09:01 AM

I've tried the low carb thing in the past and recently but then I got scared off by the fact that people with kidney problems shouldn't do low carb. Always something. ha!

Obsidianbbw 03-16-2007 11:22 AM

I'm a low carb-er just naturally....Also have a preference for sweet potatoes versus white. :?:

Well aunt flo came to visit this week, and you would think I would recognize the signs by now, but still not used to paying attention. back to listening to my hunger.

I'll chime in with everyone else. I try and schedule it and make it a routine, eventually I got motivated to do it because I enjoyed it and it wasn't such a chore. Also helps that I found stuff I liked. I'm a dvd person so I switch when I get bored,right now I am going to do some kickboxing. Also you might want to try weights. I find that I like that it doesn't involve bouncing around and you can put your ipod or whatever on and be in your own little world. Only problem I have is since I am focused on losing not interested in seeing the scale bob back and forth even if I am losing inches.

carolr3639 03-17-2007 02:56 PM

Have you ever noticed that sometimes when you eat and it doesn't taste as good as you thought it should that you start searching for something else, hence you overeat? How can we know exactly what it is we want? Or shouldn't we be so picky?

carolr3639 03-17-2007 02:58 PM

Fiddler, Just wanted to add that I'm amazed at your progress pictures. I thought the old one was nice but the new one is still quite a bit of difference. Very nice photos.

Spinymouse 03-17-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolr3639 (Post 1615182)
Have you ever noticed that sometimes when you eat and it doesn't taste as good as you thought it should that you start searching for something else, hence you overeat? How can we know exactly what it is we want? Or shouldn't we be so picky?

Oh yes, it is very common that things don't taste as good as I thought they should! So then it does make me want to eat something else in an attempt to give that fulfillment. But, that doesn't mean I have to eat something else. Usually I think, ok, better luck next time!

As far as being so picky, I think it is a good thing to be picky! If I'm going to put something in my mouth, it had better be good! :)

carolr3639 03-18-2007 06:37 PM

I once read that if you exercise first thing in the morning before you eat you will burn more fat because your glycogen stores are used up. Anyone else ever heard that?

Spinymouse 03-18-2007 10:42 PM

Carol, I read that too but then also read that it all equalizes - later in the day when you eat, your body very quickly makes up for it by replenishing glycogen, and if there is excess calories to store, fat. I don't think there is a timing trick. But there may well be a psychological trick, if one gets the exercising out of the way early, at least then it is done. Later on we may be mentally exhausted and be inclined to skip it. I speak from experience here because I have a dim memory of exercising in the morning - many years ago! and also of being mentally exhausted - at the end of every day for the last um, many decades of days!
Thanks to all for exercising encouragment. I still have not done crap.
2frus - you mentioned the trampoline. It does sound kind of fun but if I get a rebounder, they are so small! Why are they so small - I feel like I could easily, by my uncoordination, jump on to the edge of it instead of the very tiny middle of it. The bigger ones are huge, for someone with a big backyard. Why don't they make one that is in between, maybe 6 feet? I saw some 6 ft trampolines but they are for tots, under 60 lbs or so. I am not sure I understand why you can get a 40-inch rebounder for adults but a 6-foot trampoline is only for tots!
IE-ers: I've been working on my cooking contest experiments so their QC is not exactly in tune with IE. The ingredients are also not in tune with my intuitiveness! BUT - I have had some interesting experiment results.
Fiddler - nice progress pic:cool: !!

2frustrated 03-19-2007 05:50 AM

carol - YES! I know what you mean!!!! Have you ever had that thing where you're eating a packet of crisps or biscuits or something and think, "That didn't taste as good as I expected...." so you reach for another one in the hope that it will taste better??? :lol3: I do that quite a lot, then one day I said out loud to DH, I'm only eating another one because I hope it will taste better than the last! And it sounded so stupid I don't think I've done it since!

I had a bit of a silly weekend with a fair few food triggers in it - however I'll say that the majority of the weekend was healthy, with about 25% junk. :p Bah! I blame my friends! :p One friend we visited on Saturday - he cracked out the chocolate digestive biscuits :cbg: I WILL eat the whole packet if you allow me to! However he put about 5 on a plate, so I only ate 5! :devil: :o then he brought out some chocolate :rolleyes: And yesterday another friend came to visit and brought kettle chips :mad: Which I ate lots of too :p :mad:

Ah well, today I am looking after myself and just drawing a line under it. Sometimes my head doesn't think about "diets" or eating healthily or whatever and I know that to be a good thing, but then that's the danger zone where I tend to eat too much. :tantrum: There must be a fine line somewhere between not obsessing and thinking carefully about what I'm going to eat :dunno: I will have to keep searching!

Obsidianbbw 03-19-2007 08:15 AM

Funny you all should mention this. Sunday I wanted something sweet and love the carrot cake and my local borders. So I get over there and I am third in line. The guy on front of me got the last piece :mad: Ok. So now I have my mouth all fixed for carrot cake. I look at their display case nothing else I want. I walk over to the supermarket, nothing I want. I go to the pizza place next to that, nothing I wan't. I end up going back to the borders and having a donut...sitting next to the man whole bought(Stole my carrot cake) then I had a talk with the guy behind the counter about the injustices that has been visited upon and for the good of the country they MUST in the future have more carrot cake so that when I randomly decide I want some it will be there....the nerve of them :D

Other than that nothing to write home about. MY head seems to be firmly in the game again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinymouse (Post 1615340)
Oh yes, it is very common that things don't taste as good as I thought they should! So then it does make me want to eat something else in an attempt to give that fulfillment. But, that doesn't mean I have to eat something else. Usually I think, ok, better luck next time!

As far as being so picky, I think it is a good thing to be picky! If I'm going to put something in my mouth, it had better be good! :)

fiddler 03-19-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolr3639 (Post 1615183)
Fiddler, Just wanted to add that I'm amazed at your progress pictures. I thought the old one was nice but the new one is still quite a bit of difference. Very nice photos.

Jo (Spinymouse) took the picture so she gets the credit. I just stood there. :D

carolr3639 03-19-2007 12:50 PM

Obi, You just gave me my laugh for the day. What a hoot!! But I know exactly what you mean. Hey, 2frus, chocolate is good for you. Fiddler could you give us a sample of your eating and exercise since the weight just seems to be falling off? Jo, I walked 6mi. again today and boy does it hurt. But I'm sick of this belly of mine. I'm sure I won't keep this up but I hope I keep something up. I do great in the summer with all the gardening but seem to turn into a slug in the winter.

carolr3639 03-19-2007 01:07 PM

Forgot to say, Jo, that you can buy a minitrampoline with a bar to keep your balance. I think it looks kind of neat.

fiddler 03-19-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Fiddler could you give us a sample of your eating and exercise since the weight just seems to be falling off?
Lots of ethnic food--mostly Thai, Mexican, and Indian. Lots of salads and soups. Mostly made from scratch. Almost no processed foods. However, tonight I'm having a reuben sandwich because I'm craving sauerkraut.

Right now I'm not getting as much exercise as I would like. I try to walk 2 miles a day plus hit the gym for circuit training 3 times a week, but I've been too busy to do that much lately. I am, however, doing 4 to 8 hours of yard work a week, so that helps.