3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Intuitive Eating #4 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/105438-intuitive-eating-4-a.html)

carolr3639 05-23-2007 10:51 AM

Hi Obi. I finished Bob Green's new book and was very surprised that he advocated using hunger and fullness as weight loss guides. It's a very good book with a forward by Oprah. He is an interesting writer. A lot of weight loss authors are kind of boring. We got a new eliptical machine by Reebok. I really like it, although I can't go very far yet. I'm really sore from lots of gardening. Every year I tell myself I will do some kind of exercises to prepare myself for gardening but it rolls around before I get to it. Then I pay for it....ouch! I usually garden around sunset because I'm not supposed to be in the sun. That's why I'm really thankful for the eliptical, too.

carolr3639 05-24-2007 09:24 AM

There was a good article in Prevention on the lines of IE.

8 Secrets of the Naturally Slim

Act like you're a size smaller, and you'll be a size smaller. How thin women thrive in a supersized world

by Megan McMorris

We all have that one thin friend--the one who's never bullied into submission by the bread basket, and when she says "I'll just have a bite," she does just that. Is she for real?

Turns out, research shows that thin people simply don't think about food the same way as--well, the rest of us. "Thin people have a relaxed relationship with food," explains David L. Katz, MD, an associate professor adjunct in public health at Yale University. "Those who are overweight, however, tend to be preoccupied by it. They focus on how much or how often they eat, or attach labels like good and bad to certain foods. As a result, mealtime is always on the brain."

Here, weight loss experts explore the mysterious minds of the "naturally" slim. Learn what they do, what they don't, and how you can act the part.

1. They Choose Satisfied Over Stuffed
On a fullness scale of 1 to 10, the slim stop eating at a level of 6 or 7, says Jill Fleming, RD, author of Thin People Don't Clean Their Plates. The rest of us may keep going to an 8 or 10. Why? It may be because you mistakenly equate the sensation of fullness with satisfaction and feel deprived if you stop short, says Fleming. Or you may just be used to finishing what's in front of you, regardless of whether you really need it.

Copy Them: About halfway through your next meal, put your fork down and, using the 1 to 10 scale, rate your level of fullness. Do it again when you have about five bites left. The goal is to increase your awareness of how satisfied you feel during a meal. (Bonus: It also slows down your eating, which allows the sensation of fullness to settle in.)

2. They Realize Hunger Isn't An Emergency
Most of us who struggle with extra pounds tend to view hunger as a condition that needs to be cured--and fast, says Judith S. Beck, PhD, author of the new Beck Diet Solution. "If you fear hunger, you might routinely overeat to avoid it," she says. Thin people tolerate it because they know hunger pangs always come and go, buying them some time.

Copy Them: Pick a busy day to purposely delay lunch by an hour or two. Or try skipping an afternoon snack one day. You'll see that you can still function just fine. Then next time you feel those grumbles, you'll hold off before making a beeline for the fridge.

3. They Don't Use Food To Cure The Blues
It's not that thin women are immune to emotional eating, says Kara Gallagher, PhD, a weight loss expert based in Louisville. But they tend to recognize when they're doing it and stop.

Copy Them: Add the word 'Halt' to your vocabulary, says Gallagher. More than just a command (as in stop eating that entire sleeve of cookies), it's an acronym that stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired--the four most common triggers for emotional eating.

If you're truly hungry, choose a balanced snack, such as a handful of nuts, to tide you over until your next meal. But if you're angry, lonely, or tired, seek an alternative calorie-free solution to your emotional need. Blow off steam by going for a run or just jumping around--the heartbeat boost will help dissipate your anger. Lonely? Call a friend, e-mail your kid, or walk to the park or mall. Being around others will make you feel more connected to your community (even if you don't bump into anyone you know). If you're tired, for heaven's sake, sleep!

4. They Eat More Fruit
Lean people, on average, have one more serving of fruit and eat more fiber and less fat per day than overweight people, reports a 2006 study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

Copy Them: Start tinkering. Examine your diet for ways to add whole fruits (not juices) to your meals and snacks. Aim for two or three servings per day. Sprinkle berries in your cereal or on your yogurt. Add sliced pears to your turkey sandwich, or bake an apple for dessert. Keep a bowl of fruit on your kitchen table or desk to motivate you to think fruit first, vending machine never.

5. They're Creatures Of Habit
Any dietitian will tell you that a varied diet is good--but too much variety can backfire, says Katz, author of The Flavor Point Diet. Studies have shown that too many tastes and textures encourage you to overeat, he explains. "Thin people have what I call a food groove--the majority of their meals consist of well-planned staples," says Beck. "There are a few surprises thrown in, but for the most part, their diets are fairly predictable."

Copy Them: Try to be as consistent as possible with your major meals--have cereal for breakfast, a salad at lunch, and so forth. It's okay to add grilled chicken to the salad one day and tuna the next, but by sticking to a loosely prescribed meal schedule, you limit the opportunities to overindulge.

6. They Have A Self-Control Gene
Researchers at Tufts University found that the biggest predictor of weight gain among women in their 50s and 60s was their level of disinhibition, or unrestrained behavior. Women with low disinhibition (in other words, a finely tuned sense of restraint) had the lowest body mass index. High disinhibition (i.e., low restraint) was linked to an adult weight gain of as much as 33 pounds.

Copy Them: Prepare for moments when your disinhibition is likely to be higher--such as when you're in a festive atmosphere with a large group of friends. If you're at a party, tell yourself you'll take one of every fourth passed hors d'oeuvre. If you're out at dinner, order an appetizer portion and share dessert. Or if you're stressed--another low-restraint moment--make sure you have a source of crunchy snacks (like fruit or carrot sticks) at the ready.

7. They're Movers And Shakers
On average, slim people are on their feet an extra 2 1/2 hours per day--which can help burn off 33 pounds a year, according to a study from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.

Copy Them: Try a reality check. Studies have shown that people often overestimate how active they really are, says Gallagher. Most people actually spend 16 to 20 hours a day just sitting. Wear a pedometer on an average day, and see how close you get to the recommended 10,000 steps. Your day should combine 30 minutes of structured exercise with a variety of healthy habits, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator or mopping the floor with extra vigor. To see how many calories your activities burn, see the exercise calculator at www.caloriecontrol.org.

8. They Sleep--Well
They snooze 2 more hours per week, compared with overweight people, says a study from Eastern Virginia Medical School. Researchers theorize that a lack of shut-eye is linked to lower levels of appetite-suppressing hormones like leptin and higher levels of the appetite-boosting hormone ghrelin.

Copy Them: Break it down: Two extra hours of sleep a week is only 17 more minutes a day--a lot more manageable, even for the most packed of schedules. Start there and slowly work toward 8 hours of snooze time a night--the right amount for most adults.

Quick Tip
Eat breakfast! 78% of successful dieters do it every day, according to the National Weight Control Registry, A database of more than 5,000 people who've lost more than 30 pounds and kept the weight off for at least a year

(Posted April 2007)

carolr3639 05-24-2007 09:27 AM

Fiddler, We're missing you here at IE.

carolr3639 05-25-2007 10:11 AM

What a beautiful day it is here today in WI! We had a few inches of rain yesterday and it cooled things right down. I'm not a big fan of hot weather so that's ok with me. Maybe I'll get more flowers planted today. Does anyone know anything about melatonin? It's a sleep aid but I have read that some dr use it in the treatment of sarcoidosis, which I have. I've never really liked it because it makes me kind of groggy in the morning but it also took my appetite away!! I'm ususally starving in the morning. I did eat but that's only because I want to use the eliptical and I thought it wouldn't be to good to do that without eating.

carolr3639 05-26-2007 11:21 AM

Kind of quiet around here. Well, I didn't get the flowers planted because my dh put some weed killer around the edges of the flower beds and I thought it might not be a good idea to come into contact with the stuff. But I did plant some more seeds so I think I'm finished with the garden. The strawberries should be on soon.......yummmm. Seems like it is easier to eat healthy in the summer time.

carolr3639 05-28-2007 09:02 PM

Wow! am I sore. Planting flowers sure is work when you're not used to it. Seems like I was really hungry today. I'm also doing the eliptical every day and I notice I'm not getting up at night as much to use the restroom. Wonder if there is a connection. I sure enjoy it and listen to stories while I use it.

FatToFitVirgo 05-29-2007 11:52 PM

Interested in Intuitive Eating

Hi! I just found your thread. I.E. was something I used to do before I got married & became a competitive eater. It's almost 19 years later & we've worked out our differences. Now I have to get back to my old GOOD habits.

One question I've got, tho--does the "E" word HAVE to be highlighted every single time? I find it creepy and annoying. Is there any way those of us who don't prefer it can have it removed? (No offense to everyone who likes it--it's just a big world with room for all of us, & if I don't have to have the highlighted word, I would prefer that, thanks.)

WOW! I don't know what happened, or rather, HOW, since I didn't do anything I knew--but the highlighting's gone! YAY!!--and Thank you!

Diana the Hun 05-30-2007 03:03 AM

Hi FatToFitVirgo!
Is it possible you originally did some kind of search containing the word "eating" when you got here? I just tried it and the word was brightly highlighted all the way through. That would get rather annoying after awhile!! lol Welcome and good luck to you :D

carolr3639 05-30-2007 09:26 AM

I had trouble with the highlighting, too, but it went away and I know it has something to do with searching for certain words. I don't like it either. Glad it is gone. Does anyone know much about the Beyond Chocolate website? There is a book with that name and it is based in the UK. I think you have to pay to find out more. I tried to get the book from Amazon UK but it was $26 for a paper back and I thought that was a bit much.

fiddler 05-30-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolr3639 (Post 1707293)
Fiddler, We're missing you here at IE.

I'm missing you guys too! Haven't had time to even read posts for weeks, much less respond.

My boss is keeping me too busy to go to the gym, but he keeps me too busy to eat too, so I haven't gained any weight. I guess there's a silver lining to every cloud.

I saw my ex a couple of weeks ago, and he was quite impressed with the weight loss, especially since he has gained weight since we split up. In my opinion, it serves him right :D

I had some new photos taken over the weekend. I haven't gotten them back yet, but I'll post them when I do.

Hope everyone is doing well, and a big "Welcome" to all the new people! :D

FatToFitVirgo 05-30-2007 11:22 PM

Looking forward to comparing notes on intuitive eating

Hi, again! Now that I've subscribed to this thread, there's no problem; I do believe the previous highlighting problem I had must have been due to my initial search to find this thread.

I'm a member of another thread right now, and the ladies are really nice. For this thread, I think I'd prefer to be more "IE" oriented than on personal stuff, if you don't mind. It doesn't mean I don't care about you, or we won't learn about each other as time goes by, I just prefer to discuss the reason this site is here! Would that be a problem?

Wiffle 05-31-2007 02:45 AM

Hi all,

I hope this post doesn't make me a bad person, and perhaps I should just say nothing, but, dammit, I throw in the towel. :(

I've really tried for what seems to be two years now, and I am not getting smaller. I've tried to accept and love myself as I am, but I simply cannot stand the way I look. So, for that I am giving up on the Overcoming Overeating approach for now.

My husband is so accepting, so he isn't my problem. I have become a near recluse because I am so ashamed of how I look. And, the people who have known me as big, then small, and now big again, I hide from them too.

I hate buying clothes, I hate seeing pictures of myself. I hate that other people take pictures and I am in their pictures. I hate traveling on a plane or going to an amusement park. I hate seeing myself in the mirror. I don't go to the gynocologist or get my mammograms because I don't want anyone to see me. I hate getting my hair cut because it is unbearable to look at myself in the mirror that long.

I can't say the last two or so years has been a complete waste, though. I feel less controlled by certain foods, but I still binge enough that while I am working out at Curves four days a week, I don't lose any weight. If I lose three pounds, I gain them all back overnight. It doesn't help that I am going through menopause and I have either no period at all or two in one month (extra bloating -how fun!).

I am going to find a doctor who will help me with phentermine. If that doesn't work I am going to have bariatric surgery. Or something. I found a bottle with a few phentermine tablets in it from a few years ago and took one today. Hallelujah, I actually got some stuff done around here and didn't have to lay down several times for a nap. I think I have just slipped into the depths of depression and I've got to dig my way back out.

Living this size just isn't an option anymore.

I do intend to read this thread from time to time. Who knows, I may be wishy-washy and come back again sometime.

It's very sad because I had great hopes. I just couldn't get over the hurdle of accepting myself as I am. I've been pretending and keeping my thoughts inside, and it just isn't working anymore.

I'm very glad that this is working for some people, and I wished with all my heart that it was for me, but I just can't accept myself! Argh.

Thank you all for the kind words the times I have come in here. Your words have been great to read. :)

carolr3639 05-31-2007 07:32 PM

Sorry to see you go Wiffle, but I know what you mean. Seems like I've tried everything for about 20 yr and nothing seems to work. But I like this way best and am losing even if slowly and learning more than I ever have. I wrote awhile back that even the big names in the business are getting on the IE band wagon. Bob Greene in his new book uses hunger and fullness as part of his plan. Fatofit.... post away on what ever you thing needs addressing.

carolr3639 05-31-2007 07:33 PM

Fidder, So good to see you and sorry about all the work you have had to do.

Spinymouse 05-31-2007 11:21 PM

HEY hi IE folks.
It's been a while since I've peeped in here. I have not felt in the frame of mind or being to share, motivate, seek motivation etc.; hence my absence. But HI to everyone - I know I've got a lot of catching up to do here! Last I wrote we were talking about sushi.
My thoughts about eating have been quickly evolving. I don't know if there is a branch of 3FC that would be a good match for it, but my path has taken up a fast lane. I'm more concerned now with ethics and energy conservation than anything else. In a sort of convoluted way of reasoning, it is "intuitive" for me, but it's not really IE. I think more about the energy that went into procuring the hypothetical food I'm thinking about eating, than the intuitive feeling of "hunger" or the lack thereof. I am still skeptical about the term "hunger," as I think it is a really extreme word. And I'm thinking about what other $$ related injustices may have gone into what I am eating so it's all much more conciencious than than the automatic it used to be. My biggest news is that I have signed up for a local harvest share where I get a box of locally grown organic produce every week. It is huge, and I am sharing with two other people. I think it's wonderful, and I regard these precious entities of produce as something much more special than grocery-store bought things. They will NOT be allowed to go "bad." Also I am reading "Animal Vegetable Miracle" and I highly recommend it.
i wish I could explain the change in feeling about food that has happened to me. I will try to put it in words soon, but it's just too weird right now. I mean, only in the last WEEK I feel a total revulsion when I see bottled water that came from France or Fiji because I think of all the fuel it took to ship it here, just for water. Then one part of my brain catches the other and I say "WHAT is this revulsion?" And I answer myself back, "This IS." OK, before you all think I've gone around the bend: I have so much to catch up on; and I apologize if I'm off current topic. I only read the current/last page. I need to think some more about Wiffle's post - I want to say something but can't find the words. Wiffle - I wish you the best though - and those are not the right words either. I'm just sorry you are going through such frustration.
More soon. Really.
jo