3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Intuitive Eating #4 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/105438-intuitive-eating-4-a.html)

nicolbw 04-24-2007 06:21 PM

I started reading Intuitive Eating this past weekend and I love it. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the book. This is exactly what I've been searching for for the past year. I've been telling my husband that I just wanted to enjoy food and not be obsessed with dieting anymore. I also knew that if I wasn't dieting that I would gain more weight. But with this book I've learned to eat according to how hungry I am and what my body really wants to eat. What an amazing concept. :D It seems so obvious, but yet alluded me all my life.

Anyway I can't wait to get through the rest of the book.

I just wanted to say "Hi" and ask if I could join you gals. :wave: :gossip:

P.S. When I fly home to my parent's house I find that all I want to do is eat. Luckily they are selling the house I grew up in this summer, so hopefully when I visit them it won't be so bad.

ulapie 04-24-2007 10:59 PM

Welcome Nicolbw! Of course you can join us!

:trampo:

I just did something totally insane! Well, not really considering the topic of this thread. But anyway, I threw away my scale! :yikes: :eek: I'm reading Overcoming Overeating and they tell you to throw away the scale in that book also and I've decided to really commit myself to this. So in the garbage it went! I feel kind of liberated and scared all at the same time.

Well, having a scale and yo-yo dieting hasn't worked for me in the past. I guess this is really a new chapter for me. :D

I'm not sure if this is kind of a sabotaging thought, but do you folks ever think that you compensate for the IE by exercising a lot? Somehow I feel better about getting rid of the scale because I love to workout. Just another thing goin through this head. :) Hope you all are having a good evening or day or whatever time it is where you are! :hug:

ulapie 04-24-2007 11:00 PM

Thanks Obie :) Yeah, I don't know if I'll ever get over hanging out with some of my relatives. Family, got to love em!

Obsidianbbw 04-25-2007 12:51 AM

:welcome2: Nicolbw

Ulapie - When I first started IE I read the book Intuitive Eating and they preach nutrition and exercise. While I think pure IE is just eating when your hungry and stopping when your satisfied i think for an overall better quality of life you need some exercise. I know I can lose weight with the IE, but I want to be one of those spry senior citizens who goes and does any and everything. Also I actually enjoy working out now, especially with the weights. I also like sweating.

Ok, so I have a part time job and I ate before i went, but I was hungry when I was done. I didn't have anything at home that I wanted so I stopped at a donut shop. I got 2 donuts (still part of the old mentality, that I can't be satisfied with just one), but after I ate one I didn't want the other one.....Its on top of my refrigerator. Curious to see when I am motivated to eat it.

Another interesting story. A girlfriend of mine had the oh my goodness I didn't realize how much I weighed moment today and I just wanted to hug her. I talked her through it. I saw this on another forum and was wondering what was everyone I have got to change moment that started you on your journey?

Ok to bed, hope everyone is having wonderful dreams.

For me IE & excercise go hand in hand with being a better me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulapie (Post 1667557)
Welcome Nicolbw! Of course you can join us!

:trampo:

I just did something totally insane! Well, not really considering the topic of this thread. But anyway, I threw away my scale! :yikes: :eek: I'm reading Overcoming Overeating and they tell you to throw away the scale in that book also and I've decided to really commit myself to this. So in the garbage it went! I feel kind of liberated and scared all at the same time.

Well, having a scale and yo-yo dieting hasn't worked for me in the past. I guess this is really a new chapter for me. :D

I'm not sure if this is kind of a sabotaging thought, but do you folks ever think that you compensate for the IE by exercising a lot? Somehow I feel better about getting rid of the scale because I love to workout. Just another thing goin through this head. :) Hope you all are having a good evening or day or whatever time it is where you are! :hug:

2frustrated 04-25-2007 04:38 AM

:wave:

Hello! I haven't thrown out my scales yet - they were bloomin' expensive :mad: and they measure body fat etc etc, but I don't use them. I was tempted to weigh this morning, but I figured it would just upset me if it was a high number, plus I am taking supplements at the moment that increase water weight, so I decided not to weigh.

I don't compensate for IE by exercising a lot, but I just generally DO exercise a lot. :D I love it! I've found my eating's increased a lot with IE, but that's good really because I think before that I was definitely eating too little for all the exercise I did. Which would of course lead to a big stuff yer face binge, so it's all balanced out, because while I don't binge too often any more, I certainly eat a little more just about most days.

I've had a great day so far and a little revelation last night.

Yesterday I ate crackers and cheese for "lunch" and wasn't satisfied, so I ate more biscuits and more biscuits etc etc... I ended up eating lots of food, and in the end I think I overate. So I was talking to DH about this last night, he is naturally thin. I asked him when he knew he'd had enough, and he said that usually by the amount that's on his plate. He knows that one ready meal is enough to stop him feeling hungry. He knows that his eggs on toast is enough, rather than eating 50 crackers and a tub of cheese. Plus he says, "There's always more. You can always wait a bit and get more." Which kinda hit me between the eyes a little bit. They talk about this in Beyond Chocolate, but I think I have an in-built greed control. I remember fighting with my Mum over carrot cake, and being dissapointed when there was non left, but we used to eat that thing in a day! A big Entenmans tray bake thing!!!! It was like a race to the last piece! So I figure now that I buy my own food, and can go to the shop whenever I want and buy more, then I don't have to eat it all before someone else eats it.

I've also figured that my brain likes to register what I'm eating as a "meal". So I am aiming at getting in 3-ish squares a day, for today I'm thinking I've had scrambled eggs for brekky :T and I've got some turkey, avocado and cranberry jelly for a sandwich for lunch-ish time. Then I might have a snack to keep me going at the gym before :jeno: with the boys tonight. I think it's nice to sit down to something substantial and mentally filling rather than just grazing on crackers.

Well that's my theory anyway! :lol:

Diana the Hun 04-25-2007 06:33 AM

Hello, I'm new to the forum.

Hi All,

I just wanted to introduce myself to this great little community! I've read so much in so many of the different topics, and I'm really glad to join up and be able to contribute.

I'm from Australia, so you'll find my weight tracker is in metric, but I'll put up another one soon. I'm not new to weight loss by any means. I was an overweight (never obese but that didn't stop the bullies!) child, and have been dieting in one form or another since I was about 8 years old. That's two whole decades of counting, monitoring, weighing, starving, crying and scrutinising myself to the point of near insanity!

While I feel I could practically write my own book with all I know about food and nutrition (that's just what we need - another book! :dizzy: ), I still don't trust myself when left to my own devices. But, having recently slipped into a mildly depressed state, I'm really in no frame of mind to fight with myself anymore.

So you'll prob find me most frequently here in the IE section, as I'm commiting to a better eating style not reliant on meal plans and rules.

I've read almost all of the posts in this thread, and you guys have only strengthened my resolve, so thank you all, and I really look forward to getting to know you, and helping each other out! Thanks for listening! :)

2frustrated 04-25-2007 06:39 AM

Hey Diana - welcome to our little corner of the world :)

Obsidianbbw 04-25-2007 08:46 AM

:welcome2: Diana the Hun. Love the name

Ah 2frus...I only just realized yesterday that with increased exercise comes increased hunger. With the weights I doubled my workout and was wondering why I was so hungry.

Did Jari again this morning. I think I should have waited one more day since I was still sore this morning and couldn't do as much as I did on Monday :( . So I will be back at it on Saturday and see how I feel.

Donut is till on the frig, no desire to eat. Going to make a nice english muffin. Completely irrelevant, but are English Muffins called muffins in England and American one called American Muffins, no idea why that popped in my head. Ok, enough confusing after workout babble.

Hope everyone has a good day.

2frustrated 04-25-2007 08:51 AM

We only got those american muffins about 10 years ago. I think before that they were just "fairy cakes" (cakes in cases) or cupcakes to you lot ;)

I think as the boundaries are getting blurred we are following your trend of calling muffins "English muffins" and stuff like Blueberry muffins, muffins. However I think if someone said just "muffin" to me, I would automatically think of the toasty ones. If someone said "Blueberry muffin" then I'd know they were talking about the cakes. I think we tend to put the flavour first to describe a cake muffin.

:rofl:

Rock Chalk Chick 04-25-2007 11:25 AM

On muffins - somewhere along the way I heard an interesting commentary about (American) muffins... if we have a miniature cake covered in icing, it's a "cupcake" and is considered dessert... take the same cake without icing and it's a "muffin" and good breakfast food! A cookie is dessert but a kolache/danish is breakfast? Granted, I've come to the point where I eat what I want when I want it (if I want cake for breakfast, I have it), but it's an interesting point. Especially given the massive "chocolate chip muffins" topped with big grains of sugar sold at the hospital cafe. Kind of scary to think of eating something that big at 8 am just because it's "breakfast."

I'm doing pretty well on the IE front, and the weight loss has definitely leveled off (whew?), especially given that I'm heading into my bloaty week out of the month (with my current BC, I only have a "period" for about 2 days, but I still get a full 8 days of flub!) I'm doing pretty well at avoiding my usual stress eating, when I'm sitting at the computer or trying to avoid sitting at the computer, but I'm feeling rather sluggish because I'm not getting enough time outside. I'm hoping to get a break and go to the pool this afternoon, but it depends on how the work schedule pans out. After talking about the "Muscle Max" workout the other day, I thought I'd dig it out on Monday - I've just been lifting on my own instead of with a dvd lately, since it's faster, but I knew I'm not getting quite the same workout. And now I'm feeling it!! I'm going to do another good weight workout tonight, and hopefully can get outside for a bike workout, but it's supposed to be raining pretty much nonstop through Friday, so I'm not too optimistic on that one.

And welcome, Diana! I'm still relatively new to the IE ideas myself, or at least to applying them (I've been reading about it for a couple years!). There's plenty of good advice and support here, and hopefully you'll enjoy the group.

ulapie 04-25-2007 03:49 PM

Welcome Diana! I love your little picture thingy! That movies is sooo funny. :D

I feel good today! I went shopping today before work and bought a bunch of crazy stuff that I never let myself eat before. I also had a coffee with half & half and REAL sugar. It was so good! I've been drinking mine black lately or with soy creamer and splenda. I have got to say, real sugar kicks splenda's ___! :kickbutt: :p

Oh boy, with all this good stuff around, I can't wait to get hungry! :)

2frustrated 04-26-2007 09:36 AM

Howdy!

I've never eaten muffins for breakfast! :no: But I did have a piece of chocolate cake for "breakfast pudding" once... :lol: My mother was mortified! :D

This morning I had rice pudding for breakfast. I'm still a bit hungry, I think I should've had scrambled eggs. Especially since I've just been told I'm going to be out of the office over lunch. HUFF. :p Oh well, I'll just have to make a nice sandwich instead.

I had a really great pizza last night - tomato sauce, goats cheese and black olives at Pizza Hut :T Fabby dabby considering Pizza Hut = grease and stodge, but it was lovely. Then we went to the cinema and I had a tiny tub of Ben and Jerry's and about 3 small handfuls of popcorn. I never get popcorn because it's too expensive, but I wasn't paying :devil: and it was ok, but not great.

Obsidianbbw 04-26-2007 10:48 AM

Nothing major to report. Added workout is making me want to sleep more. Donut is still on the frig. No soreness today so thats good.

Eating is ok, I had one big meal yesterday and wasn't interested in anything else after that. Scale hasn't moved, but wondering how much of that is effected (sp?) by doing the weights. So we'll see. I don't measure inches, but I am starting to notice changes. Wondering if I'll be 321 lbs in a size 14, LOL...ok obvious that won't happen, but all very interesting.

2frustrated 04-27-2007 05:13 AM

Yeah also nothing major, apart from yesterday I felt "normal"...

How odd! :D

Obsidianbbw 04-27-2007 12:48 PM

Morning all. Rainy here, but i like this weather, yeah I'm a weirdo.

We'll I have come to the conclusion that I need to leave the whole foods buffet alone. So I am going to give it a break till June 1. It is filled with too much yummy goodness. Goodness that I am eating entirely too much of.

Didn't work out today needed the sleep and my house needed some attention. Will be back at it tomorrow.

Odd thing. I bought a new DVD and was previewing it this morning and wasn't impressed till they did a whole series of leg curl combinations and I got excited. Is there any one exercise or move that you like to do?

Ok, ex is coming to visit. Not sure what to expect, but may not post for a few days.