Old 08-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Question the verdict on sunchips?

I know they're probably better than regular potato chips, but are sunchips good for me to eat while I'm trying to lose weight?
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #2  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

It's all about calories in vs. calories out. Read the labels and just keep in mind that anything that comes in a bag, box or jar is not as good for you as fresh whole foods.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I would consider them junk food (highly processed chips marketed to be healthy), but I think it's ok to eat them sparingly as a treat - just count the calories or factor them in to your overall diet for the day.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #4  

Height: 5'11"

I had to cut them out. I have bought them as a "healthy" alternative to regular chips, but it wasn't a good plan because I still want to eat half of a big bag once I start. Chips are a trigger food for me, so I have to say no to the Sun Chips. But if they aren't a trigger food for you, then it's probably OK to eat them sparingly. As mortonpixie says, it really boils down to calories in/calories out.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #5  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I just learned that the reason Sun Chips have their name is because the plant that produces the Sun Chips is solar powered. So, the sun has nothing to do with these chips being more healthy than any other chip. They are made from whole corn, sunflower oil, whole wheat, rice flour, whole oat flour, sugar and salt. They are deep fried to a light, golden crispy goodness.

Sun Chips
Serving Size: 1 oz , Calories: 140, Fat: 6g, Carbs: 19g, Protein: 2g

Lay Potato Chips
Serving Size: 1 oz , Calories: 150, Fat: 10g, Carbs: 15g, Protein: 2g
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Overly processed garbage. I wish I could tell you differently but no, they aren't really much better.

If you like chips you might try taking a La Tortilla Factory tortilla, cut it like a pizza and spraying it with nonfat cooking spray and sprinkling on some salt. Put them into the oven on a cookie sheet until crispy. The tortilla is just 50 calories and are available in whole wheat.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #7  
cher37

Yep. I agree. I take a Weight Watchers tortilla, spray lightly with olive oil, bake, then dip with hummus & veggies. The WW tortilla is 1 pt, 2 Tbsp hummus 1 pt, & veggies 0 pts. Yumm-o!
Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #8  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

My husband and I are calorie counting. He has lost 38lbs (is close to maintenance) I have lost 33. He loves sun chips and eats them every few days. As long as they fall with in your calories and don't cause triggers, they are just like every other chip, for us its all about calories in-calories out. Its worked for both of us quite well.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6"

I also count calories, and when I absolutely have to have chips, it's Sunchips for me. Not because they're better for me, but because their Garden Salsa variety is exceptionally tasty, and the company's concern for the environment. I don't eat chips often at all, but it makes me feel better that if I must put it in my mouth, at least it was made with solar energy. They're also launching a completely compostable bag - it will deteriorate within 14 weeks.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Oh wow.. I had no idea they were fried! And I've never thought of baking my own chips out of tortillas.. thats a really good idea! Thank you all so much!!

xo, BB
http://haveyouseenmyweight.blogspot.com/

PS - They're sneaky with the whole "SUN" Chips, not even being baked in the sun and all!!!

PPS - Needless to say, I swapped the Sun Chips out for Baked Doritos..
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #11  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

you know what's a wonderful snack?...it's not exactly chips...but if you get the 94% fat free butter popcorn....you can eat an entire bag of that stuff and it won't really affect you that much.

SO if you've got the munchies, i suggest sitting down with a big bowl of popcorn and a movie =D
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #12  

Good
PopiSc is offline   Reply With Quote