3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   1 year on La Weight loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/102959-1-year-la-weight-loss.html)

hkychik 01-24-2007 02:21 PM

1 year on La Weight loss

Well, my 1 year anniversary is fast approaching (3 days, but we all know what my hockey-involved weekends are like). It seems like a good time for some reflection and thoughts.

I have lost 76 pounds - That's 24 pounds short of where I was supposed to be by now, but I am realizing that the scale is just a number. I picked a number when I started, because it sounded good. Did you know that 76 pounds is exactly what my 10 year old son weighs? I still don't like my scale number, but my success has gone beyond that.

I look better. "Younger" is a word that is used a lot, when I talk to people. I often get asked if I "feel better" or if I have more "energy". The short answer is yes, but I didn't realize how badly I felt before!

At my last measurement, I had lost 34" total. That's almost a whole yard (or meter, for those of you in Canada!) of me, just POOFed. I haven't been measured for several weeks, so it could even be more.

I've discovered that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I am still working to change my lifestyle - and for me, this will be a life-long struggle. Many of you have reported feeling icky after over-indulging in greasy, sugary, starchy, etc... foods. Well, not me! I will admit that it doesn't take as much of those foods to satisfy the beast, but I still crave and enjoy them, with apparently no ill effects other than the dreaded scale creep.

I have discovered that it takes a lot of support to do this, even if it's just a daily chat with the folks that are going through the same things. The funny thing is, we don't even have to chat about losing weight. The camaraderie alone is what's important. I have discovered that when I don't visit with you folks as much, my weight loss slows down. I have a co-worker who is doing the plan, keeping it a secret from her husband. She has been on since October, and is 1 pound heavier than when she started. I can't say it enough... support is essential, in any form you can get it.

Finally, I would like to say Thank You to each and every one of you who have offered support, advice, hugs, and kicks in the pants to me (and everyone else who needed it) along this journey. I hope I have been able to return some measure of that - in spite of my sporadic visits lately.

Stay strong - together we CAN do this!

MomOfThreeTeens 01-24-2007 02:28 PM

WOW, 76 pounds, congrats and a big WOOO HOOOO!!!!

katiebug77 01-24-2007 02:37 PM

Wow!!! 76 pounds is amazing!!!! WOO HOO 10 times over!!!! You are absolutely right. This is a lifestyle change, and many of us will have to take it one day at a time. But just think, you have made it 365 days, well almost. 34" is incredible....

cevert 01-24-2007 02:40 PM

Great Job!! You are an inspiration to all of us. I hope that when my one year anniversary comes around, that I have done as well as you. I too am "behind Schedule" by about 14 pounds, so it's good to know that I will get past this darn plateu. If that's what it is.
You should be very proud of yourself.

Have a great POP day!!

WendyVan 01-24-2007 02:40 PM

You have encouraged me and inspired me. I just started but to know how many of you have lasted (something i can't seem to do) this long on the program and your amazing weight loss is so encouraging!

Congrats on the dramatic weight loss and thank you.

bizlawchik 01-24-2007 02:52 PM

Lori - You have inspired us just as much, if not more, than we have supported you. Congrats in all your accomplishments, both those behind you, and those you have yet to achieve. You are so right about the support. There is no way I could be where I am without everyone here either.

Happy anniversary!

Dan2112 01-24-2007 02:55 PM

Way to go Lori!! Congrats!

DenverChick 01-24-2007 03:01 PM

Three cheers, Lori! :congrat: You have said so eloquenly what I must keep reminding myself. I am new to LAWL, but not new to diet plans. I have lost and gained so many times because I treated them as just that - a diet to get to the magic number and then back to my old habits over time.

Your real gift is that you have embraced the lifestyle. I finally think, at 42, that I am ready for that lesson. I got heavy enough this time to really feel those pounds on my knees and back. You are a testament to all the goodness that can be achieved if you embrace the program and work it. Thank you for reminding us that this is a journey - not a destination.

Libby

hdsqrl 01-24-2007 03:26 PM

Oh, wow, Lori...you ROCK!!!! :dance:

If your weight loss was a dog, you would have just turned my huge Great Pyrenees back into a puppy! (and boy, there are days I wish she WAS that small again, hah!)

Don't quit now, girlie...keep on truckin'!!

:woohoo:

Repo girl 01-24-2007 03:27 PM

Great job Lori, it has been a pleasure being on this board with you. Your success is certainly inspiring.

Kimphin 01-24-2007 03:56 PM

Wow, Lori - happy anniversary!

Boo'sMom 01-24-2007 06:30 PM

Lori--you are so awesome!! I am thrilled to have been with you along the way.

Mama Nicole 01-24-2007 07:11 PM

Lori......your timing is inpecable!!! Everyone is still trying to mentally recover from the holidays.......and it has been hard to stay strong for so many of us. You have so much to be proud of......and your wisdom is soooo real and usable. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. And thanks for reminding us, that together......we CAN do this :) Happy Anniversary!!!

Angie 01-24-2007 09:23 PM

Happy anniversary! You've come so far in one year, and what a great attitude too. I hope I'm in a similar situation this time next year.

SandyG28 01-25-2007 08:34 AM

Lori:
Congrats on the one year, the phenomenal loss in both lbs and inches, and on the amazing attitude! I needed to read this today, so thank you for sharing your reflections of the journey thus far with us. I have been slipping into the 'diet' mentality instead of the lifestyle change mentality, and have been far too focused on the number on the scale. I need to remind myself that since joining LAWL in July of 2006, I have:

- begun to eat veggies and fruit daily
- learned to enjoy cottage cheese
- joined a gym and now love to work out four, sometimes five times a week
- have lost 26 lbs and 16.5 inches
- have moved from a size 20 to a 14/16, depending on what it is I want to wear
- have tons more energy on a daily basis
- and perhaps most importantly, have realized that I am in control!

Thank you so much for helping me to remember those things today! And wooo hooo to you!