3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   LAWL cookbook - does anyone have and use? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/102787-lawl-cookbook-does-anyone-have-use.html)

JenniKyle 01-22-2007 10:32 PM

LAWL cookbook - does anyone have and use?

I picked up the LAWL cookbook, and tried several recipes this past weekend. One of which was the Bean Soup. It made about four quarts. One serving was one-quarter of the recipe, according to your plan, and it was to be 1 protein, 1 vegetable, and 1 starch. Doesn't one quart sound like an awful lot?:^:

Dan2112 01-23-2007 10:18 AM

We have it and use it quite often.. The New England Clam Chowder is absolutely fantastic.. So much so that I don't miss the "regular" kind at all..

I made some of the white bean chili the other night, without the beans (YUCK!) and while I haven't had any yet, my DW says it's very good..

The cookbook come in VERY handy when you're tired of your same old chicken and fish recipies.. The Talapia Italiano is REALLY good, and you can substitute other kinds of fish or even chicken/turkey for the meat.

Oh, and the creamy chicken caserole is VERY tasty..

Keep using it and I think you'll enjoy it..

Wendelina 01-23-2007 01:39 PM

A quart does sound like a lot for 1 serving... mostly water?

mamato2girls 01-23-2007 02:05 PM

I just bought the cookbook last week myself. Of the recipes I've tried so far, the Cheesy Beef and Broccoli and Buffalo Chicken Tenders are my faves. I haven't tried any of the soups yet, but a quart does sound like a lot. Like WendyII mentioned, maybe there's a lot of liquid in the soup???

bizlawchik 01-23-2007 02:17 PM

A quart does sound like a lot, but since we get such a huge amount of beans to equal one protein, maybe that's why?

bizlawchik 01-23-2007 02:21 PM

OK... went to LA at home website to look. If I take 1/4 of this recipe, you would get 1c beans, 1/2 potato, 7oz (close to 1c) tomatoes, some onion and 1 1/2c water. That does give you close to a quart.

WOW... gonna have to make that one. Seems like a lot of bang for your buck!

JenniKyle 01-24-2007 02:09 PM

It is a lot of bang for your buck, but I was so full for the rest of the day, I had a hard time eating the rest of my scheduled meals (hard to believe, I know). By the end of the day, you could have rolled me home I was so full. Worse yet, I had to go weigh in that evening (amazingly enough, I had lost 2 more pounds from the previous weigh in). The next morning, I woke up and I was still full.

I tried the French Toast recipe in the book and really liked that as well. I made it for my daughter, and she gave it the "thumbs up." I'll give the chicken recipes mentioned a try soon. It is good to know what has worked well for others! Thank you so much.

cevert 01-24-2007 02:15 PM

I wouldn't reccomend the Cheese soup, or the split pea soup. We could have made them wrong, but No one in my family cared for them.

Hope this helps.

bizlawchik 01-24-2007 02:56 PM

Try the Beef Dijon (I also posted it in the recipe section awhile back). I've made this a bunch of times for me, and have made it for my in-laws and couldn't believe it was on my plan.

Mama Nicole 01-24-2007 07:36 PM

Aleta..........I see you are from Wisconsin......where in Wisconsin are you? I am originally from Kenosha, WI. I love it there........and I miss it there too.

JenniKyle 01-25-2007 11:04 AM

Nicole, I'm in Milwaukee ... very close to Kenosha! Hopefully weather in St. Louis is a little nicer than what we have here ... it is ver-r-r-ry cold out today ... even my dog didn't want to go out this morning.

JenniKyle 01-25-2007 11:06 AM

We tried the Sloppy Joe recipe last night (I had a house full of teenagers, so I changed menu plans from stir-fry shrimp/broccoli/noodles to Sloppy Joes).

This, too, turned out really well and everyone ate it and went back for more (I made a double batch).

sweet dreams 02-04-2007 10:06 PM

I tried the Brownie recipe for my dinner party. No one like it, said it needed something, like icing! LOL.

I am going to try the sweet and sour chicken soon....

~Bernie

JLem311 02-04-2007 10:49 PM

I've made a few of the vegetarian recipes in the cookbook..they turned out great!

dolphn545 02-05-2007 06:31 AM

I've been trying a few things here and there. Brocolli omelet bake, truffles (which didn't form into balls, so I ate them as a glob) Pasta Fagioli soup, noodles & mushrooms (I added tuna to this)
Everything I've had so far has been good!!